Guest viewing is limited

THR Happy to be past the surgery

Great post, @Freyagirl!

Love your advice about utilizing technology to help in your recovery!
 
A week ago I was getting ready to leave the hospital for home. I was past the worst of the post surgery pain and felt pretty confident about getting out of bed and using my walker to get to the toilet.
Today I am stiff from my first PT appointment, but feeling good about moving just a little more. My swelling is subsiding and much of the black and blue marks are fading. Ice and elevation are still a major part of my day, but getting outdoors for a while was a real treat.
My right knee and hip are almost as bad as the one just fixed. I’m finding it scary to be walking with just a cane and hanging on to the walker. I hope that as I regain strength in the new hip some of the issues with the right one will improve. I will have a chat with my surgeon as to which one goes bionic next. Hip has been more painful, knee is less functional.
Just happy to have things going well so far with the first one.
 
I’m finding it scary to be walking with just a cane and hanging on to the walker.
Yes, please, stick with the walker for as long as you need it! You are only one week out of surgery and you don't want to risk a fall!

Many of us use the walker for 2-3 weeks following surgery. Don't let the PT push you into switching to the cane until YOU are ready!
 
Day 9 and I can move around my kitchen by holding onto the counters and the island. This is giving me a lot more flexibility for making myself a sandwich and getting breakfast put together in the morning. It really feels good not to be so dependent. I’m getting back to a more normal life.
I’m finally seeing my pre-surgical weight start coming back and the post surgical Edema reducing. This gives me more strength to move my heavy leg around and makes my physical therapy exercises more productive. I certainly feel like I am walking more smoothly and more normally. We will see what my physical therapist says about that tomorrow.
Overall, I think today I feel better than I did before I had the surgery and that is making all this effort worthwhile.
 
Wonderful update, Freyagirl! I bet you'll find yourself unintentionally taking steps away from the counter unassisted soon. I hope you have a good PT session tomorrow and a great weekend!
@Freyagirl
 
At 1.5 weeks after surgery I am feeling pretty good. My PT today focused on balance and mine needs work. The good news is that I am distributing the load of my body pretty equally between right and left legs. The bad news is that my “good as in non operated” side is weak and shaky. My “bad just had surgery side” is recovering strength quickly. Sooooo - I’m going to be stronger, but not very balanced.
I do think that just paying attention to my stance and walk is helping my right leg recover from being the frail big sister who had to take on all the hard chores. Maybe if Big Sis gets to shift some of the work back to Lefty with her shiny new hardware I will be stronger overall.
We drove through a hamburger takeout and I gratefully sank into my recliner at home. After lunch and a long nap I just realized that I missed my noon Tylenol 3 hours ago. I know that I’ll be sore when I get moving so I sent my faithful sidekick after water and pills, but it’s a great day to know I’m not miserable without them. Whooo -hooo.
 
Yay for a safe and sane PT! Sounds like a good day.
 
I Had a good dinner and then dozed mostly flat my chair. Then I went to bed and paid for it by having heartburn half the night. I know better than that. So I had my first really crummy nights sleep, but mostly due to heartburn and very little to do with my hip surgery.
Most of my swelling is gone except right around my incision, which is kind of hard. I can tell the areas where the nerve was cut as it is getting a little tingly. overall, I’m having very little pain except after I’ve done too much. I’m going to try to use my cane around the house most of the time today. I feel like I’ve got a lot of my strength and balance back.
I see my doctor for a follow up tomorrow, get my bandage off and I hope I get approved to do some driving. I have been off the Oxy for a week now, so I certainly feel like my head is clear and my right leg is strong enough for smashing that brake pedal if needed. We will see what she says.
 
Hello and Happy Sunday!
Sorry your sleep was disturbed by heartburn. No fun. Great news though that the swelling is dissipating and you're dealing with the normal tingly sensation of nerves regenerating. Fingers crossed for a good visit with the OS tomorrow and permission to get back behind the wheel. With improving strength and in regaining stamina, you're on your way, Freyagirl!
@Freyagirl
 
Bigger strides yesterday- because I traded my two wheel walker for a borrowed 4 wheel rollator and went out walking. It felt good to move along smoothly yet with support for my bad, non-operated hip. I iced when I got back and am ready for more walking.
My exhaustion from surgery seems to be lifting as well because I started work on a scrapbook project and kept at it for an hour. Until yesterday most of my energy went to showering, minor food prep, light PT work and reading. Life seems to be coming back.
My swelling is mostly gone so my skin and incision aren’t hurting from being so tightly stretched. Overall I’m just achy but the stronger pain is mostly gone - controlled with Tylenol Arthritis. It’s wonderful!
I get my first look at my incision today as my bandage comes off. I’m hoping it’s all looking good.
 
@Freyagirl Lovely update! It is wonderful to hear you are doing well and getting your energy back. :yes!: :flwrysmile:
 
Had my 2 week post op and got back my driving privileges which is a big deal for me. One of my sons died in October and I am a major part of my DIL’s support system for 3 grandchildren. At least now I can take myself to my appointments and my husband is free to drive the grandchildren to their events. It takes a village!
The doctor pulled off my waterproof bandage so easily I wondered how it stayed on so well. The incision is completely closed and just needs some gentle rinsing to get the last bits of dried blood off. I’m so impressed with the ease in which it healed without staples, stitches or steri-strips, just the special 14 day waterproof bandage. Eventually I will have a pretty minimal scar showing below the leg of my bathing suit. But no swimming for another month, sadly.
When I scheduled my surgery in October, my surgeon offered to do the other hip three weeks after the first one. At that time I told her “no” because I really wanted to see how the first one went. now that I’ve had such a good experience I asked how long it would be before I could have the right one done. I am waiting for a callback from her scheduler to see if it would be possible to get it done sometime in April. It would be wonderful to have both hips working again.
 
First, I am so sorry for the loss of your precious son, Freyagirl. :console2:It sounds like you and your husband stay busy with the grandkids. I'll bet it's greatly appreciated by your DIL and loved by the kids.

Good news that both you and the doc were pleased with the "big reveal" after 14 days. I'd certainly be curious after two weeks to see the healing progress of the incision! You're doing so well in recovery. I understand your thoughts on getting your right hip replaced soon. Let this recovery roll into a second and you're DONE!

Please let us know when you get your right hip scheduled. We will add the date to your signature and be here to support you through all. Happy for you that you're driving again. That was something I looked forward to also, although sitting in the car for longer than 30 minutes felt really difficult for a few months due to the confined space and inability to stretch or move much.

A great Tuesday and rest of the week to you!
@Freyagirl
 
So sorry for the loss of your son, @Freyagirl. How wonderful that you are close to your grandchildren. I'm sure they give you a lot of joy.
 
“I had another grandchild visit last night to help do laundry and empty wastebaskets.”

What a blessing to have such helpful grandchildren!
 
I'm sorry to learn of your son's death and am sure the whole family benefits from the support you and your husband can provide to your dil and grandchildren.

Your recovery is marvelous to read about. I had the same kind of dressing on my knees and yes wayyy better than staples or sutures!
 
Paying “dumb taxes” last night after getting overly ambitious at my PT session. I’ve been feeling really good and felt good at PT but came home knowing I better ice up. By 2 am I was really paying for my lack of caution with very stiff and sore muscles in both legs. I moved to my recliner and got my ice machine going again for the rest of the night. I was between my 8 hour Tylenol doses and can’t take anything else, so it was ice and elevation only.
Not the best sleep but feeling much less sore today. I'm going to lecture myself before my next PT so that I remember that although I feel sooooo much better than before the surgery I still have one bad hip and a big surgery to recover from.
I just made camping reservations for this summer so I’ve got a lot to look forward to with having better mobility.
 
Sorry to read you landed on the ODIC (OverDid It Club) bench, @Freyagirl. It really can be hard to judge how much is too much in the early weeks of recovery.

Having something you love to look forward to is such a great way to help yourself through this recovery. I'm sure by summer you will be ready to enjoy that camping trip.

Slow and steady!

:flwrysmile:
 
I am adding my condolences also, for the loss of your son. I know for myself, my grandkids would be a top priority too and that must be so helpful for your DIL.

I liked your version of the ODIC - paying dumb taxes - I laughed out loud after taking a couple seconds to realize what you meant.
 
After putting myself in a time out yesterday and giving my very sore muscles a chance to recover I’m feeling better this morning. I had told myself that I wasn’t going to PT tomorrow, but now I’ve decided I’m going to gently work on my exercises today and go tomorrow, but be much more moderate in my enthusiasm.
I am frustrated that I can’t use my cane very much yet. I am still relying a lot on my walker. I know that some of it is because I still have a right hip and knee that sorely need replacing and the fact that both sides are relatively unstable has made me, super cautious and tentative as I try and use my cane. I’m going to use the bonesmart philosophy and tell myself it’s MY recovery and since I feel like I’m getting better every day things are going well.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom