Guest viewing is limited

THR Happy to be past the surgery

It’s now one month since the surgery on my left hip. I’m so pleased with how well I feel. I had my preop for my second hip surgery yesterday and that all went well. I feel like now I’m in prep mode for the next surgery rather than so much in recovery mode from the first surgery.
I’m moving around the house pretty freely with my cane, which is good and trying to get more walking in although my very sore right hip slows me down. I’m trying to squeeze in a few outings between recovery from the first surgery and recovery from the second surgery, the weather is supposed to be good, so it will be perfect to get outside.
I’m starting to get impatient about getting back to being able to do water aerobics. My incision is completely closed, but my surgeon would like me to wait another week. Since the last thing I want to do is get an infection, I am going to listen to her. I really feel though that once I can get back in the water I’m going to feel really good about moving around.
Im not ready for wearing jeans yet, but I’m back into knit slacks and out of my PJ pants. My incision is a little sensitive and and the spot on my thigh where the nerves are regrowing is still pretty tingly, but overall I don’t think much about having had the surgery except for a little stiffness when I stand up. My biggest complaint at the moment is that my right hip just keeps getting worse, so it’s really good to know that in a couple months, I will be in pretty good shape.
 
Thanks for the update! Sorry Righty is kind of raining on Lefty's parade. :sad:
Good news is you don't have too long of a wait. Easy for me to say though, right?
Lots of comfort to you as you're waiting out the next few weeks, Freyagirl.
Happy One Month Anniversary!
 
@Freyagirl It's wonderful to hear that you are healing well and getting ready for the next new hip! I know what you mean about not being ready to wear jeans! I went through that phase too. I found that for me (being a quite short person) undies called "boy shorts" worked very well as the legs were long enough to cover my scars and did a very good job of preventing chafing on newly healed incisions.

And soon you will be back to doing all the things you enjoy!
 
Big strides forward last night as I was able to sleep on my operated side. I’ve been trying this out a little bit at a time for the last few nights and last night I was able to stay on it a lot of the night. this is important to me because when I get my right hip done, I won’t be able to sleep on that side for quite some time and I know I can’t sleep on my back. Fortunately, I was able to roll over onto my right side when the left hip was done on the second night after my surgery. I have lots of pillows in the bed and getting that operated leg tucked in as I was on my side seemed to work pretty well, and then I could really sleep . I am able to take naps in my recliner, but I haven’t been able to sleep for any length of time even though it lays down pretty flat. There have only been a few nights when I haven’t been able to get a decent sleep in between a couple trips to the bathroom and taking my meds. I’m sure that’s why I actually have pretty good energy and have been feeling well. My only hints about getting a good nights sleep is lots of pillows and a bed to myself as long as I am so restless with a sore leg. Sweet dreams to everyone.
 
Bunch of stuff now that I’m 5 weeks after surgery:
1. I sent a photo to my doc of my very well healed incision and got ok for a bath and for swim exercise. I am thrilled that I managed to get into my big tub and soak in hot water and then roll over in The water to get my knees under me and carefully stand up holding onto the tub grip. Yay, I have 3 weeks of baths before the next surgery!
2. I have started using my wheeled office chair again to work on projects at my table. I’m finally feeling safe to stand up from the wheeled chair and it’s so easy to move around the table.
3. I’m still going back and forth between my walker and my cane. My right hip continues to worsen and walking with the cane seems to make me limp a lot. I feel like I walk more smoothly with the walker. My PT kept encouraging me to use the cane. I think it was a sort of milestone she wanted me to achieve. I CAN walk with it but with a huge limp. I can walk without it too, but also huge limp. With the walker I can manage a longer stride and much less limping. It’s frustrating.
4. I had my whole family over for a birthday celebration yesterday. One son died in October after a 7 year battle with colon cancer. I have been trying hard not to worry my grandkids about my surgery and subsequent healing so that they don’t think they are losing me as well. Fortunately my recovery has gone smoothly and they are happy that I am at least a little more mobile with one hip fixed than I was before. They brought the food, set up and cleaned up. However, my determination to join in the celebration wore me out so it’s napping and icing for me today. Worth it though for my joy in being surrounded by love.
 
A bath is a marvelous milestone :SUNsmile:

I agree with you that until your other hip is operated on it's best to use the walker and maintain a more normal structure than it is to limp around on a cane.

It must have been a bittersweet-tinged celebration without your son present. Sending a big ((hug))
 
Aww, the sweet grandkids. So sorry for you all. :console2:
I'll bet given your sunny disposition as they see you healing with the strides you've made, they're confident that you're going to be right there with them for years to come.
One down, one to go...not long now as one recovery rolls into another. You'll be all "done and dusted" as our UK friends like to say. :wink: Happy Monday! @Freyagirl
 
In a hopeful mood I scheduled a trip to Palm Springs that canceled last fall due to my problems with my hips and the death of my son. It was a crappy time for me with my surgery still 3 1/2 months away, and then all the issues of losing my dear boy. However now that I am more than a month out from the surgery on the first hip and feel so well, I am hopeful that the second tip will also go well and by Fall I will be ready to really enjoy some travel. It’s a good time for me to be looking forward because I am in the dregs of still having one very sore hip. That’s keeping me home. It’s time for me to look for some other sort of entertainment that I can do while sitting in my recliner.
 
am hopeful that the second tip will also go well and by Fall I will be ready to really enjoy some travel.
Great idea to plan a trip! (I'm doing the same thing right now :wink: ).

And, yes, by fall you will be ready!
 
Sometimes it’s all too much. Increasing pain in a hip that needs replacement as the healing incision in the other one throbs, still two more hours before I can take more Tylenol, a grandchild texting me after his bedtime with school worries, and a worry of my own about my dear husband who has to carry an extra load for still another of my surgeries.
Sending my love and support to all of you in this community. I am helped through the long night by reading about your struggles and successes. I know morning will come and I’ll have my meds and some coffee and life will move on.
Finally it’s morning and I’m sitting under a quilt I made for myself, in my electric recliner, listening to my coffee pot perk, and watching the neighborhood come alive. Amazon just delivered some foam grips for my walker to ease my calloused and cracking palms. I send a text to the child who is worried about school and he sends back emoji hugs. I’m cozy, well-fed, needed and loved. 19 days until I get rid of this other bum hip! May you all be so very lucky.
 
The nighttime hours can be difficult.. hugs to you and am so glad you weathered the pain and emotions.
Enjoy that cozy quilt!
 
So sorry to hear about the loss of your son, nothing can prepare anyone for the loss of a child.
And then once our kids are grown we have same worries about grandkids. Never ends!
Sounds like you are doing as much as you can to prepare for next surgery.
I'd keep using walker if that's what is helping you walk correctly.
Better to walk correctly than limp.
All my best.
 
Your posts so very well convey the emotional complexity and ups-and-downs of recovering from joint replacement.
Hang in there! Breathe, be kind to yourself.
 
After my difficult night I made myself get out of the house. I have been doing water aerobics for about 10 years with the mother of my son’s wife. We have developed a terrific friendship that has shored us up through my son’s long illness and death. Today we went back to our exercise time in the water and it was great for both of us. Very good for me emotionally and began another portion of my physical recovery. Just struggling into a bathing suit, driving, parking, and walking into the building, getting undressed and into the pool and then doing it all in reverse was tiring. But it was so fun to see a familiar group of over 65 ladies who all congratulated me and shared their own replacement stories. They all warned me not to overdo and helped as they were able. There are long, shallow steps with handrails for getting into the pool so that was easy. I mostly floated around to the music and waved my arms and had FUN.
I didn’t wear socks, I put on my suit at home, I wore baggy sweats, and sat down to dress. It was all fine! I am so proud of myself. I needed to baby my sad right hip that’s going to be replaced in a couple weeks, but my bionic buddy did great. Soon I’ll be doing the exercises with two good hips and really dancing to the music.
 
I'm so glad you were able to accomplish this and to gather support from your community.
 
I had a super busy weekend with three grandchildren staying overnight as well as a relatively wild young dog. The kids are all in their teens and so they’re very helpful, but still it’s a lot more activity than I’ve been having in quite a while. I’m happy that I was able to keep up with Making meals with a lot of help and coordinating a bunch of activities . I got up and down my stairs to my sewing room and sewed with my granddaughter, which was the first since surgery. The only thing I didn’t do was try and take the dog out for a walk. I left that to the teenagers as he is just too strong. For the most part I have forgotten that my left hip was ever replaced. It feels normal except for slight tenderness around the incision, and it certainly feels strong to me. At this point most of my concern is the right hip that is going to be replaced in two weeks and I just can’t wait.
 
You are going to be SO happy when hip number 2 is done and dusted. No more hip pain!
 
I had my six week post op yesterday as well as the preop for the next surgery. The surgeon was pleased with her work, and everything looked great on the x-ray. The incision is fully healed. My only issue now is increasing zingers from the nerve damage on my upper thigh. I am happy that the nerves are regenerating themselves, not as happy with the zingers. The only downside to the appointment was that the new x-rays showed a fair amount of deterioration and arthritic damage to my S1 joints as well as my lower spine.
Apparently the arthritis in my lower spine is what caused the need for four tries to get my spinal started. The surgeon said this is not uncommon, but that most people don’t remember it because of the anesthetic that they’re giving along with the spinal. I remember it and not fondly. It wasn’t terrible, but it wasn’t comfortable either. I am hoping that if I talk to the anesthesiologist prior to the surgery, he will be prepared for the problem. The surgeon suggested that I could change from a spinal to a general anesthetic, but a few minutes of discomfort, while the spinal goes in is minor compared to the hours of nausea, vomiting, and breathing issues that I have with a general. So here I am two weeks out with much much less anxiety going into this next surgery and hoping that everything goes as well as it did for the first hip.
 
I am hoping that if I talk to the anesthesiologist prior to the surgery, he will be prepared for the problem.
Definitely let him/her know! I had a similar issue with my first surgery and discussed it with my anesthesiologist prior to my second replacement. She said she would wait a bit after starting the sedative to be sure I was "out"! And she certainly did, because I barely remember getting on to the operating table and then nothing until I was awakened in recovery!
 
A lot depends on the anesthesiologist. The one on my first knee included the IV sedative-hypnotic Versed that causes amnesia along with the IV fentanyl - so while I was technically awake during receiving the spinal I had no memory of it. My experience was just like @benne68 and that of my neighbor!

Different anesthesiologist a few months later who won't use Versed with seniors, period. So I retained full memory of getting the spinal. In my case it proved helpful - he seemed to be way off center and when I inquired he gave me at the age of 68 a diagnosis of scoliosis!

So the option isn't just an inhaled general vs. very short acting IV. When you speak with the anesthesiologist definitely explain the issue and ask if he is willing to use Versed as part of your IV sedation.
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom