Guest viewing is limited

THR Happy to be past the surgery

Good news! Hopefully by Summer you’ll be feeling pretty good, Freyagirl!
@Freyagirl
 
Your positivity shines through your posts. You are doing brilliantly and I am sure the summer will help you in your recovery. I was lucky to have my hip done in August and had great weather to sit in the garden and occasionally get up and walk around it.

Glad your scar is straightforward and I bet you are looking forward to swimming again!
 
I live in Minnesota, and one of the biggest days of the year is opening fishing. My final post-op for the second hip is the day before opening fishing weekend so I can get in the car and head to my cabin. I’ll hopefully be agile enough to step onto the pontoon, sit in a comfy fishing chair and catch some sunfish. imagining fun this summer ahead is going to get me through the extra weeks of being stuck in the house.
 
Well planned!!!
 
Today was the day I used a cane all day around the house instead of the walker. I finally feel pretty confident with the cane instead of so tentative. It seems like a big step forward to me to be more comfortable and that my balance is better. I really don’t have much in the way of swelling so I haven’t had to use my ice machine, except after I spent a while in the kitchen helping with dinner. It feels good to be doing some minor household chores, and to have energy afterwards to do something more than nap in my chair. It feels good to continue to improve a little bit each day and I am hoping to have a couple weeks of relatively normal moving around the house before I have my second hip done. Snow has come to Minnesota, so I’m not walking around outside but I am hoping for a short trip to Target and a little wandering around with a grocery cart.
 
Nice progress! Ditching the walker, improved balance, back in the kitchen and engaging in some household chores...yay!
All of this made me laugh at myself as I was recovering. Suddenly, I was excited I could change the bed sheets, go to the grocery store, walk unassisted, shop leisurely as opposed to quickly grabbing only what I needed. It made me appreciate the little things I took for granted. I am happy for you! I am not too far from you location wise and we've been spoiled with the weather this winter, until two days ago, but hey, we're almost out of the woods!
Have fun on your Target run...love that place! :)
@Freyagirl
 
I agree with Layla, those "firsts" like driving or shopping, changing sheets, etc are so exciting!
 
Good news: sat at my kitchen counter and made soup. Sort of. I had my 15 year old kitchen helper grandson fetch ingredients and pots and pans, then sauté and stir. BUT I will have a couple meals of homemade chicken noodle soup. Yes!
Not so good: 5 weeks until I get hip #2 replaced and the cortisone shot from January is wearing off. As I feel better about walking with my new hip the old one is complaining. Thank goodness I can say goodbye to that one soon.
Tomorrow will be three weeks after surgery and I am very happy with my slow, steady recovery. Lots of ice and recliner time, but much more doing a few things around the house. Hopefully hip #2 will be equally manageable.
 
Yes!!! That's exactly how I transitioned from being given dinner to making dinner - well, no, not with your grandson!!! - MDH would fetch the stool for me to sit on, fetch ingredients for me to slice and dice and mix, etc.
 
Oh no...I hope it wears off really s-l-o-w-l-y. That's all you need is one healing happy hip and the other angry.
I don't know what helped you in those weeks leading up to your THR, but I used to go to bed early and watch tv with the heating pad on my thigh / hip, just to get off my feet. It was a bit of a comfort.
Hang in there, Freyagirl. I hope the next five weeks flies by for you. :console2:
@Freyagirl
 
Today I am both irritated and grateful. I am irritated because now that my left hip is healing so much I’ve been having a pretty good nights sleep, but I can only sleep on my right hand side. The fact that I can sleep on my side at all, apparently, is amazing and I have been able to do it since my first night home. BUT, and this is a big but, the part that makes me irritated is that my right hip has come out of it’s slumber from the Cortizone shot and is starting to be crabby about having me sleep on it. I woke up several times last night and had to try and figure out how to get comfortable on my back so that my newly healing hip and my crabby old hip would both be happy .
Now the grateful part and I really do try and be grateful every day. I am grateful that things have gone so well for me that I was able to so quickly get a date to have my right hip done. I can look forward and it’s less than five weeks that I will have to put up with one healing hip and one degrading hip. It is helpful to me to actually have a date that I can see in the future when both hips will be functional. I am also grateful that my right hip made it at least until now without getting so sore. My new hip is considerably less sore than the old hip which is amazing. I am sitting this morning with ICE on one side and heat on the other. It’s just plain weird.
 
@Freyagirl Sending you virtual hugs! :friends: Cranky hips are so .... cranky! And yes they do tend to act up more as it gets closer to the time to replace them. I am sorry you are having good side/bad side issues especially with sleeping! I hope the ice one side and heat the other side helps!
 
I was back to PT today and made a point of telling her that my right leg was feeling very cranky. She is scheduled to do the PT for me after I get the right hip replaced as well. She came up with a number of mild stretches and balance exercises that I could do primarily with my left leg to spare a little bit of flexibility that I still have in my left my right hip. The session was much better and I did not go home overly sore. I know that part of the issue the last time I went when I got so sore was that I was feeling overly confident about how well I was doing.
My left hip continues to improve and the strength in that leg gets better all the time. I don’t think much when I get in and out of a chair or in and out of bed. it’s really nice not have to completely be babying it, although I am still very careful. I am certainly hoping that things will go as well when my right hip is done and that by 3 1/2 weeks after that surgery I am able to move around as comfortably as I am on my left hip right now.
I am curious if others who have had the two surgeries fairly close together found that it is harder to regain strength and energy after the second one. I know that I am not using energy worrying about the procedure and I already have the house set up so I don’t have to do that again. But I also know I still need plenty of rest each day. Is this going to completely wipe out 76 year old me?
 
Last day of PT for my left hip. I will be back in 6 weeks to get the right one moving after surgery. I know I am moving better than before the surgery because now I have at least one hip that is working fairly well. It gives me hope for the future.
I still hobble and shuffle when I use a cane but PT assured me that is mostly due to my bad right hip. My left leg is overall getting some strength back and I can step up a bit with it now without clinging to a rail. All in good time.
The hard swelling around and under my incision is reduced and thus so is that residual soreness. If the right hip didn’t hurt I would mostly be off the Tylenol. Looking forward to the day!
 
Your new hip is really coming along well.I think you'll be ok energy wise with the second hip but yes I wouldn't be scheduling any social events for a good while after!
 
Your new hip is really coming along well.I think you'll be ok energy wise with the second hip but yes I wouldn't be scheduling any social events for a good while after!
I am always so nuts - I just scheduled a delayed Easter at my house 10 days after surgery. BUT I have 4 teenager grandkids who are used to helping and adults who will do the cooking. I plan to sit in my recliner with my ice machine and give orders and get snuggles. Yes, I appreciate the love.
 
I’m just shy of four weeks and I am feeling terrific. I’ve moved to using my cane most of the time around the house, although taking steps here and there without it in the kitchen. I’ve been driving out and about to do short errands, although not doing much out of the car, I’ve been spending much more time out of my recliner doing things around the house, which feels terrific and is a great help to my caregiver husband.
I’ve regained a lot of strength in my new hip and can usually now get out of the chair, easily lift my leg, get in and out of bed and the car. it’s wonderful. I still get pain when I reach down to pull my socks up and I am leery of overdoing it, but I don’t think that’s far out in my future.
I need to get more walking in and outdoors, and Minnesota isn’t quite ready for me. So today I’m going to try walking around inside the grocery store, pushing a grocery cart and see how that goes for maybe a half an hour. I’m trying to be careful of my non-operated leg because that still gets very very sore and I have another month before I get that one replaced.
I know that my recovery is different than your recovery will be. I just hope that the fact that I am feeling so good is encouragement to anyone who is having terrible worries about having this surgery.
 
I think you'll find the shopping cart PT is a good thing. I would drive to the big superstore in town almost every day for my shopping cart walks around the store.
 
It is wonderful you're doing so well, especially as you approach surgery less than a month from now.
I remember my first grocery run post THR. Walking into the store unassisted, without a limp, not needing to lean heavily on the cart and grab only what I needed so I could get back to the car and off my feet! It felt like such a blessing to be able to leisurely shop and in reality, the grocery store is not one of my favorite places.
You're doing great, Freyagirl. Yay, you! :egypdance:
@Freyagirl
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom