I for sure used my crutches! I would have not made it without! I'm very pleased how things have gone and am curious when I'll be walking normal without crutches!
I will say I believe that God never gives us more than we can handle, so apparently I can't handle a lot (lol!). But it really has been a blessing considering I have such young children.
@Gummy Bears
Far, far off, in never never land...June the 9th and I'm planning surgery after my vacation, somewhere around mid August. Torture! He's 4-6 weeks out from the appointment date, which would for sure kill the Del Mar trip. I just can't fathom missing this trip because I haven't missed one year in 51 years. Bummer!
@Cynthia777 I thought about postponing till end of summer/early fall. Hope you are comfortable enough to enjoy the summer and your vacation! It will be here before you know it. I think you were here for a reason now, you've been a wonderful support! I really appreciate you all, and love your sense of humor!
You are such a sweetheart and I find you so uplifting in your threads! I find our minds work alike...when something is occurring that's negative, it seems our minds automatically shift to acceptance or it shifts to something positive about the situation. I feel blessed to have this trait, as should you...sure makes dealing with life a lot more palatable!
Sounds like you're on a fast track toward feeling pretty normal!
I wish I were near the point of forgetting the roxy during the day! Yesterday's experiment with cutting back to 5mg every three hours worked well - pain was just beginning to stir at the end of the three hour mark - at least until I tried sitting in my living room recliner. That didn't go over so well, and I ended up taking 10mg to get to sleep last night.
@JulieJF do you work? I kind of feel pressure (even if it's from myself) to get off oxi bc I'm supposed to return to work next week (I'll spend next week working at home.). I'm not sure what the criteria is to get cleared from the doctor. It's also going to make our lives a lot easier if I can return to driving sooner than later. I doubt he will let me do that until June, but I know that is a criteria for driving. Any idea what they do at the 2 week check? My appointment is Wed.
Also, do other people's surgeons have them wearing the tight stockings (what are they called?!). I want to take them off when I go out for an hour or so during the day but I know the surgeon wants me wearing them during the day (then off at night.).
Today has really gone well. I was able to shower completely on my own. I did my hair, put makeup on and put on nice clothes (been wearing work out clothes so far) and my mom and I went out for a nice lunch nearby. We then drive to a children's book store and I got some academic books and games for my kids to work on over the summer. It felt great to be out and I could have stayed out all afternoon! Not much else to report. I'm kind of bored at this point, no one else is home now.
@Gummy Bears
You sound as though you've had a lovely day. Nice to be able to go and do these things without everything
being centered around "the hip"!!
Re the compression stockings - I just had them on while in hospital, then compression cuffs overnight.
I guess every OS has different procedures but can't imagine not wearing them for a short time would do
any harm. And it IS summer over there, lol!
@buzzybee it is indeed summer! Maybe that is why they gave me bright white ones?! And so embarrassing to wear out in public with my capris on. I actually wore long baggy summer pants to lunch so no one could see them!
Hi @Gummy Bears - watch out for the energy drain when you return to work. I found it hit me around 3 pm, wriggle, wriggle... so I found sitting on an ice pack helped along with a couple of my prescribed pain meds.
I thought you might like to get a snapshot of where you are in the medically acknowledged healing phases.
The following is a link to an article which provides the science regarding the healing process beneath and around the implant and the approximate timeframes for our bodies healing phases and processes.
Feel free to tag me if you have any questions regarding nutrition.
However, I would appreciate if you (or any other member) do not request advice regards supplements as I would be breaking the Common Law Act (under which I am governed) to prescribe outside of my practice, especially via the Internet.
HI gummy bears!! looks like you had your surgery 2 days after mine, same side hip, my incision was posterior
i havent ventured outside yet- today will be the first day for a walk outside. Getting in the car for a ride, forget about it!! with the 90 degree precautions i have, am a bit aprehensive. it's all good, grateful to be recoverning so well, and to not have to deal with LA traffic for awhile.
Hang in there and ejnoy the naps! i surely am
I work in education, and I actually timed this surgery for a period when I'm looking for a new position. Regarding recovery and pain meds, I'm not putting pressure on myself to even conceive of a timeline. I'm going with the flow, even though that's going to tax my own patience! I'm thankful that I finally took the time to have the surgery, and going into it, I knew that my situation would be a bit complicated. In the end, I want to make sure that I push myself just the right amount to ensure slow, steady, and consistent recovery and rehabilitation.
@JulieJF sounds like the timing is perfect in regards to switching to something new and having the time to recover! I wish I had another week or so from what I planned for returning to work. But I'm sure I'll survive it. My mom leaves in 2 days and that's really going to be a bummer! My husband goes back to work next week so I'll be working from home all by my lonesome. I can handle that, right?
So, I've tested my walking without the crutches (safely, where I can grab something if needed.). I have a ridiculous limp. I didn't limp going into this so I sure as heck hope it's something that can be fixed! It doesn't hurt, it just feels like the muscles aren't engaging fully. It might partly be psychological, too. I'm very nervous about dislocating it. Anyway, me and my mom were laughing so hard because of this crazy limping! I wish one of the forum advisors would chime in and say its normal and will work itself out!
you'll be ok at home by yourself but you do have to plan ahead-make sure to keep your crutches/walker/cane/grabber/phone near by at all times. My spouse left briefy last week to visit a neighbor. i got a phone call and decided to lie down to talk. Dummy me, cane fell off the bed and i didnt have the walker near by and the grabber was in the kitchen, so i was stuck! no big deal, called nancy and she came right back. but learned my lesson!
i think it might be too soon to try walking w/o something to help stabilize you?? that may explain some of the limping
Yup, you can handle being home alone. I haven't had to be alone too much, but it's been okay!
Regarding your limp...my physical therapist from before surgery was super direct about walking after the THR. She cautioned against getting rid of a more restrictive walking aide (e.g. crutches) in favor of something less restrictive (e.g. cane) until her patients can walk perfectly (no limp) using the assistive device. If there is a limp, she says to go back to the walking aide.
My mother-in-law developed a limp after surgery and described it just as you have - like her muscles weren't fully engaging.
It sounds as though your muscles need more time to strengthen and heal - it's definitely not a rush to move beyond the crutches. You're doing great - don't settle for a limp!
This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.