THR Happy Hippy From the other side

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was just sitting outside on our new patio furniture on our back deck in beautiful weather when all of a sudden we noticed a raccoon on our deck walking towards us! My mom yelled for everyone to run. I almost forgot my crutches! Was interesting running with crutches. Now I have to figure out who can come out and address this. Never a dull moment!
 
@Gummy Bears
Why did you have to run from the raccoon? Are they dangerous?

When I was first learning to walk with my crutches the physio said to me not to be so worried, she said if the hospital was on fire and she told me to run, I could have done it without the aid of crutches. I was so pleased the hospital didnt catch fire so I would have to find out.
 
They can carry rabies. In fact there was an article in the paper today that 2 tested positive for rabies (not super close to us.). This one wasn't acting scared of us either.
 
Ah that explains it then, I'd run too if it was coming towards me with a possibility of rabies. They do look cute though.
 
@Gummy Bears
That's what you need...a post-exposure rabies series to add a little variety to your recovery! Yikes. Glad you remembered your crutches in the end! Do you have full crutches or hand crutches? I was released with hand crutches. I rather like them!
 
Like this:

[Bonesmart.org] Happy Hippy From the other side
 
I meant what they are (not is)! I have regular crutches!
Feeling back to my normal self in terms of the headache being gone! So glad. Hope to go somewhere close by tomorrow and get a little bit of walking in!
 
You guys are so funny!! Attack of the killer raccoons! We found 3 baby raccoons last year in our yard and boy were they cute!! I covered them with a laundry basket and gave them water and waited for the mom to return but she never did so we brought them to a local wildlife rehabilitation center.
@Cynthia777 I checked out your doc and he is very good looking! That will make a positive attitude about surgery just that much easier, I think! Also, my surgery is on Tuesday, not today. Sometimes I think to myself.... OMG, what am I doing?!?!?! I'm definately a little anxious about this whole thing! @Gummy Bears and @JulieJF you guys seem like you are doing great, so that makes me feel better!
 
@Zumbamama I had the very same thoughts ahead of time. I was extremely scared the day before and the morning of. It's very normal. The medical staff are so great though and after being wheeled into the OR (which I couldn't see anything bc my glasses were off!) the anesthesiologist (who I met earlier and was very kind) was there, the young PA, Kelly, held my hands and looked into my eyes and said "I'm Kelly, hop on this table and scoot as far back as you can". I literally remember nothing after that! The worst part was the pre op area bc of my anxiety but just some waiting, nothing bad happened! After it was over, it was not a big deal. I never had pain, just some soreness and stiffness which has gotten SO much better after day #2.

One question for others - I don't feel like I could walk with all my weight on the op leg right now. Anyone know when you start feeling regular strength in that leg?
 
@Zumbamama
Yup, that seems normal. I think I'm still amazed that I went through with it and got through it successfully! You'll be amazed at how quickly you wake up in recovery, and we'll all be here to cheer you on and listen to you vent when you make it out the other side. :)
 
@Gummy Bears
If you don't have any weight bearing restrictions, you should be able to put your weight on the new hip. My PT from before surgery told me to remember to lengthen through the hip and stand tall. She also told me to make sure to walk normally with a more supportive device - so your crutches - before trying to step off with a less supportive device.

My mother-in-law developed a limp after her hip replacement because her muscles weren't properly engaging - she needed extra support and strengthening, but they graduated her too quickly to a cane.

Gee, I can't wait to follow all that advice. We'll see if I'm able to put my foot down all the way in early June!
 
Life lesson for the day - kids, don't try to carry something in your hands while you are on crutches, cause you will either stumble or fall.

Luckily I just stumbled, caught myself before falling. Now I'm over analyzing every bit of soreness I have! But I do think I am fine. Phew!
 
Oh my goodness Gummy Bears, please be careful.
Reading back a few posts, my PT told me today I could put full weight on my new hip, but I have to continue to use the crutches because of the other hip problems. I did try a few steps, very cautiously and it all felt fine.
 
Well, I definetly can't walk without the crutches but I'll talk to my doctor next week. It feels like the muscles are just trying to recoup. I can stand on it just fine.
I made homemade cinnamon glazed popcorn today which proved to be harder than I expected!
 
Day 8 post op - today was great, really felt like things are improving. I'm pretty sure I could walk a short distance with full weight on the operative leg if I was allowed. I went for a short trip to Lowes with my mom and got some walks in. Going to get out to walk more. I'm down to half an oxicodone and 1 Tylenol about every 6 hours. Hoping things keep getting better!
 
That sounds fabulous @Gummy Bears ! The pre-surgery me shudders to think about going to Lowes! Everything I need is always as far from the door as it could possibly be. I just hold on to the cart like it's a giant walker.

Do you know how long until you are allowed to be full weight bearing on the operative leg? Is that a common restriction for the anterior procedure?
 
I guess it was more that we need to use crutches or a walker to make sure we don't fall. I just haven't felt like I could put full weight on it without assistance until today.
 
Day 8 post op - still continue to feel good every day! I went to the mall with my mom and 6 year old. No where to stand in the store so I spent a lot of time on the couch in the mall area. Then we stopped at Target real quick. Definetly got my walking in today!

I kind of feel like I could stop the oxicodone during the day but I'm kind of nervous to try. My last dose was 5 mg 7 hours ago and I feel fine. I'm sleeping on my back at night so I kind of feel uncomfortable if I don't take it at night.

Still hardly any swelling (just a little around the hip) and I continue to ice several times a day bc it feels good. Plus, I make sure I do it after I've been active.

Not feeling the need to nap and not feeling really tired like the first couple days post op.

The one minor thing is my incision got pulled (by the tiniest bit) when I stumbled on Friday so not able to shower till the tiny drop of blood is no longer on my bandage in the morning. The PA saw a pic of it and is not concerned. More of a hassle to sponge bath!

I'm getting better at getting myself into the shower to either shower or sponge down. I have a shower chair that has helped a lot in the bathroom.

Hope all the other May hippies are doing well!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom