THR Happy Hippy From the other side

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sounds like you are doing well. Don't walk too much though, I think 5 minutes is probably enough. I tend to just walk around the garden a few times during the day.
 
Hi all! Couple questions!
First, I believe today will be my first shower (been doing sponge baths.). We do not have a shower that you can just walk into. It's a full on tub that has a side to step over. I do not have a shower chair (could maybe get one if sold at a chain store?). Do you think it's possible for me to get in without breaking any restrictions? I had the anterior and I've heard conflicting reports from hospital staff about initial restrictions (bending over 90 degrees, crossing legs, ect.). Also, once I'm in can I shave my legs? That requires bending over, even if my leg is up on the tub rim! Leg shaving will need to happen one way or the other today!
Also, the surgeon doesn't want me to turn my operative leg in or out bc he says my hip socket is shaped like a mushroom. He said it needs to heal up for 6 weeks to ensure it stays in the socket. I thought that sounded really weird. Has anyone ever heard of this? Should I be concerned?
 
Oh, @Gummy Bears, you're lucky! I can imagine the sweet relief of clean hair. :yahoo:I have to wait till the home PT comes out before attempting that - she'll show me how to transfer in and out of the tub.

Do you have something like this? At home PT or a PT from the hospital who could teach you the transfer?

Speaking of legs, I noticed on Josephine's supply list that there was a long-handled electric razor. I haven't been able to find it on Amazon yet. I don't think I would be comfortable reaching over to shave my legs for a while. How about your husband? Could he do it for you while you sit?
 
I told my husband he would likely be shaving my legs today and he said I'd likely be having cuts/blood on my legs today (lol.). My mom is here and can probably help.
They didn't really address the shower thing in the hospital and my doc doesn't do any PT for hips after hospital d/c. I just looked online and it appears Walmart sells a decent shower chair but its sold out in our area. My joint journey book shows how to get in and out of bathtub using the chair. Mike may need to stop at the medical supply store!
 
@Gummy Bears I've seen photos where people have taped a razor to a long handled object to help with the leg shaving process. I've not tried it yet so don't know how well that would work.
I too don't have a walk in shower, so have been travelling to my in laws where they have a wonderful wet room set up for disabled. But the local authority here will loan items out while they are needed, so the PT put in an order for me to have a bath board. Its basically just a slatted board that goes over the bath. I just sit on it and use the shower head to wash. I've not tried it yet as I really want hubby to be here to supervise and he is working today. Perhaps if you are unable to loan a bath board you could buy one, I don't imagine they would be very expensive.
 
@Gummy Bears

Oh hey, one thing to think about...what do they have you on for blood thinner?

I'm just on aspirin, so I doubt it would be a problem, but a woman whom I met who was put on coumadin told me that she picked some flaky skin off her lip and ended up bleeding for 45 minutes. She warmed me about shaving my legs in this context.
 
I'm on aspirin too! But that would have been something to be aware of!
Mike picked up my little shower stool so I will be checking my bandage soon to see if I can shower today. Yeah!
 
No shower for me today, I still have a tiny bit of leakage on my bandage. But I'll use the shower chair my husband bought to take a serious sponge bath in the tub! And going to wash my hair over the sink! (I did that once already). Better to be safe than sorry!
 
It happened. My 3 year old slammed her hands down on my operative leg. Thankfully, it wasn't directly on the wound, rather more the inside of my leg. It's starting to get sore so I took an oxicodone (was about time anyway.). She's down to supervised visits with mommy. Geez!
 
It must be so hard to recover with little children. I am 4 months post op and looked after a 7 month old for 4 hours yesterday. It was so strenuous and tyring and all I could think is thank goodness she is not my own child!!
Look after yourself X
 
@Gummy Bears, I'm so sorry this happened! It's got to be confusing and frustrating for your daughter as well as sad for you. You both probably want to play and cuddle like normal. I'm betting she'll adjust to mommy's limits, though! Good luck - will some good books to cuddle up and read help?
 
I had been concerned about the shower thing and it was actually my surgeon that showed me how. Hopefully you have rails or a sturdy shower rod. Holding on, maybe the wall will work, bend leg at the knee, step into tub sideways and then follow with other leg. Doesn't matter which is the operated leg, it works the same. If the side of your tub is higher then your bent knee, it could be a problem. A word of caution though. Make sure your shower chair is is high enough to not break precautions when sitting. I forgot to do that and paid with extra pain after shower.
 
In regards to the earlier incident with my leg, it's pretty much feeling back to normal. I don't think she caused any long term problems. Now I will be on guard whenever she is around me! I do think this whole experience had been stressful for her. My 6 year old was really worried before hand but is fine now that its over and she sees me doing well. Maybe I will write a book for young children called, 'my mommy gets a hip replacement.' Ill sell like 5 books a year, lol.
Thanks for the insight on getting in and out of a shower!
 
@Gummy Bears It sounds like you are doing great! Congratulations!! The whole shower thing sounds challenging! It's funny the things you don't really consider beforehand. If you wrote the kids book, those 5 people who bought it would really appreciate it I bet!! Can you write one for dogs too? My kids are 22, 20 and 11, so hopefully they won't run into me or anything, but my dog can be exuberant at times! One week from today, and I'm going in.... AHHHHH!!!!
 
You are going to do great @Zumbamama ! Are You scheduled for the 19th?
I'm up bc I can't sleep. My hip is a bit sore, could be from the incident with my toddler or maybe going to a store today with my hubby. It's not painful just not super comfortable. I also took a nap at 5 pm so maybe I'm also not tired? Super annoying!
 
Hi @Gummy Bears

Sorry you had a little midnight pain!

I'm up now because it was time for my pain meds and now he's refilling my ice bags. This always takes a little while, so here I am.

I'm impressed you went to a store already. There's a market on the first floor of outbuilding, and I'm not even ready to venture out there yet.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hi gummy bears

Sorry to hear about your shaving problems my pet hate shaving :nah:. I have had problems showering as my wife decided to change our bath to an opened ended bath which is higher so I had to hand wash and wait for the end to my 8 week restriction to have my bath :happydance:. Hang in there and hope your hip is better mind keep taking those pain killers.

Billy
 
Woke up at 5 am still quite sore (but not like the beginning right after surgery.). Took my pain meds and switched ice, heading back to sleep soon. Too much too soon I think. Even just riding in the car wasn't really comfortable. I just wanted to get out of the house. I'm afraid ill have to skip my lunch plans with my mom today :(. I guess there's a reason they have you take off work to rest!
Thanks everyone! Nighty nights!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom