Guest viewing is limited

THR Happy Hippy From the other side

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Gummy Bears its so hard with little ones around, they really struggle to understand the concept of Mummy not feeling well. I'm sure given a little time she will come to understand to be careful around you. My 5 year old grandson came to visit and he was the opposite, he didn't want to get too close, so he stood about 2ft away to pass my get well card to me. But I did take him on my lap sitting on my good leg for a little cuddle.
Good to hear you are doing ok though, hope the restless nights pass soon
 
@Gummy Bears

You sound like my hospital roommate. She texted yesterday to say she had an increase in pain but had been moving about far more than I.

Take it easy, my friend, and put the ice to work!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Yup, I'm going to take it easy today! Boo though, getting out of the house sounds like more fun!!
 
Day 5 - I'm feeling a little sleepy today, probably bc I didn't sleep well. I made myself get dressed and get up. One thing is I've been eating like crazy and with me not exercising, I really don't want to gain weight! So, going to keep an eye on that. I think I'm going to nap now so I don't fall asleep this evening. Hope everyone else is hanging in there!
 
@Gummy Bears I'm looking at the times of these posts and it seems like a lot of people are awake in the middle of the night! That's tough, but at least there are other people around! I hope you got in a nice nap! Yes, my surgery is on May 19.... So close! I can't believe it is almost here. I'm a little nervous about gaining weight too.... I teach about 12 - 15 dance and exercise classes a week so to go from that to nothing is a little scary! I think I'll have to buy a lot of celery and carrots, lol! No cheezits for me!
 
@Zumbamama That's great that you've been so active. My surgeon says I can spin after 6 weeks but I'm thinking I may have to ease back into it.
With the exception of last night, I've only been getting up one time a night (around 2 am) to potty, ice and meds.
 
@Gummy Bears

I'm so impressed at how well you're doing...it's simply amazing! I've been pondering why there is such a wide variance in the recovery process for individuals having the same THR approach. I've been taking special notice of our members ages and activity levels prior to hip symptoms. After much analysis (Dr. Cynthia here...lol), I think there is quite a correlation between an "easy" or a "difficult" recovery, dependent on members ages and physical lifestyles (of course BMI must figure into the equation). Take you for example, you are just a youngun (at least from my perspective) and I know you've been physically active, having to chase your little ones all over the place, hence your recovery has been very easy thus far. Now take me for example...I'm old, I'm fat and I've sat on my prat (I'm pretty sure I'm onto a publishable poem here) and I'm pretty certain that my Anterior THR recovery is not going to be anywhere as easy as yours has been. Now the important thing here is, why the heck did I even bring any of this up in the first place? :shrug:
I do think your idea for a book is an ingenious idea :idea:, however, you may want to write it for spouses (much more lucrative) preparing them for the emotional roller coaster their "Hippie" will be putting them through. You could call it something like, "Help! Honeys Hips Hurt!"...something along those lines.

I'm so happy you're doing well!
 
@Cynthia777 I think a sense of humor and a positive attitude will go a long way towards a quick recovery too, and you definitely have those!!! Did you decide on a new surgeon?
 
@Cynthia777
LOL, love the poem, love the book title! :rofsign:

One other factor related to recovery time that is invisible outside the body - the specific trauma (my OS's word...not meant as disparaging) your surgeon has to inflict to get your particular surgery done. I think I would recommend not trying to analyze recovery times too much. I went in with no "expectation" for the recovery period. It just takes as long as it's going to take, but we're all going to get to the same place.

All that said, I still cried when my first PT session was only two steps forward, two steps back. :)
 
@Zumbamama and @JulieJF!

Z Mama...oh yes I did and not only is he good, take a look at what a cutie he is!
Google images Dr. Steven L. Barnett (and he's not the old guy that pops up...you'll know who he is) and thanks for your kind words! Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you go in tomorrow, right? CC (that's my nickname to my friends and family) will be praying for you especially hard tomorrow. What time is your surgery?

Julie, this is very true! I do know from my previous surgeon visits, I have "excellent" bone mass (I think he said bone mass, it's the outer area of the bone xrays) and he said this was extremely important for THR'S. Two of the other surgeons I saw felt I would do very well with the surgery. My BMI is 29, so although I feel quite fluffy, it's well within (um, maybe not "well" within) the approved weight guidelines some surgeons implement. I really never had any expectations as far as recovery time until the vacation issue came up.
You know, Julie, you're a young woman and I can understand your tears, but I'm at an age or maybe it's a place in time, where I've lived a full life, I've loved most minutes of my life (still do) and I've done just about everything I've ever wanted to accomplish in life, so I feel I've really "had it all". No matter how this turns out for me, I know I won't feel robbed or cheated out of anything. If I were 46 years old and facing a hip replacement, I'm sure it would be much more difficult emotionally than it is at age 61.
 
@Cynthia777
Oh, no...those weren't initial tears of feeling cheated. Just overwhelmed. If anything, I have future prospects that I can't imagine, as the gift of this surgery for me should be a much more normal range of motion. I keep forgetting one of the precautions - don't cross your operated leg over your other leg. I forget it because I've never been able to cross my left leg over right. Funny!
 
@JulieJF

I surely know that overwhelmed feeling! When I was diagnosed with Avascular Necrosis in both hips, I went into a state of shock! My mind was literally in such a fog that I didn't know up from down. Having never had any health problems, other than a ruptured appendix about ten years ago, I couldn't believe I had something wrong with me that required major surgery. After the initial shock wore off, I began realizing I was actually very fortunate, because with my disease the average age of onset is 38 years old! So basically what I was referring to above was the fact that it would be much more difficult for me emotionally had I been youngun like yourself. :-)
 
Hello ladies,
I couldn't sign on yesterday bc I had such a bad headache. I think it's weather related. I'm hoping today is a new day! Waiting for hubby to get home from dropping off at preschool bc I'm really hoping I get my shower today! Would be so nice.
Your funny comments have made me smile. @Cynthia777 I did google your doctors pic when you mentioned his name yesterday in another thread bc you had me curious and he sure is cute! Has it crossed your mind you might say something inappropriate to him while you are under the influence of drugs?! Or do you not care?! ;).
Hopefully, my head will feel 100% after I get a shower in! Yesterday ended up being a drag!
Talk soon!
 
@Gummy Bears and @Cynthia777
I got a good laugh this morning out of the image of Cynthia reminding her doctor that he's cute as she gets prepped and drifts under sedation in the OR! Priceless. Made me wonder what patients do babble both going under and coming out of sedation. There's got to be a comedy bit in there somewhere. :)

@Gummy Bears
Lucky girl to have clean hair on your agenda for the day! Maybe tomorrow for me. Dry shampoo is a lie.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum

LTRH 2015 May 8
Hospital for Special Surgery
Dr. Thomas K. Sculco
 
Took the shower. It does feel great but I'm exhausted now! Got a good look at myself for the first time without clothes standing up. The only place I'm swollen is my right hip area. Everywhere else looks normal. It looks funny, though!
A nurse in the PACU mentioned her and I had been talking for an hour as I was coming out of sedation and I told her I didn't remember it. She said, 'don't worry, you didn't tell me any secrets.' Which made me wonder what exactly we talked about!
 
Is anyone going to give their surgeon a thank you gift? You know like when you have a baby and you give your OB a small gift?
My surgeon seems to have peeling hands so I thought maybe Mary Kay's Satin Hands system but my husband busted out laughing :/.
 
@Gummy Bears hadn't even occured to me to buy a gift for the surgeon. I will definately thank him when I see him at my 6 week check though.
The idea of buying hand cream for the surgeon really made me laugh.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom