THR Happy for any advice!

Status
Not open for further replies.
@muckingabout I think I will consider it a good investment for me. At our age and the life span of these hips I will likely need it at least once more before I go to the "boneyard". I can also use it for other times that I have found hard seating too much to enjoy something. Hubs moved my wheelchair cushion to the recliner when he got home for me and my pain level has decreased by at least 2 on the scale of 10. What a huge difference!! That dull, kind of painful ache in my hip is hardly noticeable and I am not constantly squirming and adjusting to find comfort :)
 
@Carriemay60 @muckingabout I bought that cushion!
I used it in one of my chairs to elevate, and took it out once to a dinner. It worked.
:umm:I bought three different cushions, and a knee pillow; used them all at different times.
Happily, they were temporary solutions, no longer required.....
 
@Carriemay60, wow, I had forgotten about the constant squirming to find a comfortable place for my hip! I am at a Week 10, and looking back, that pain left at four weeks for me. Now I am having incredible shin, calf and ankle pain.
 
@Carriemay60 when I couldn't get comfortable in my recliner, I took an Eggcrate mattress topper, folded it in half and put in on the recliner. Made it much more comfy for a while!
 
@Carriemay60, that's pretty much the cushion I've been using and think is amazing. I got a deal on it through an aunt in a medical supply store. I had it from the beginning. I was more cautious as I had severe coccyx pain previously but the cushion makes all the difference. I am so glad the wheelchair one works too. I've always known I'd be having my other hip done within year or 2 so I had little qualms about buying items... I figure my mother will probably need it too!
 
P.s. great news on PT. You'll no doubt fell progress easier now without feeling under pressure.
 
Well, I guess I did a little more with PT yesterday than I realized and then did my regular back and forth and chair exercises. When I got into bed last night my thigh & knee were tormenting me awful. I had to sit back up twice trying to kill the thigh spasms and did some very gentle massage and lifting my foot easily. I did finally manage to get off to sleep about 11:00pm and then I slept right through until my alarm went off at 6:00am!!! I can probably count on my fingers and toes how many times I have slept through the night without a potty break since I had my kids so it was pretty nice!

Today I am going for a manicure and eyebrow wax and a friend hopes to pop by for a visit this morning! I am going to try and book a pedicure for sometime in the next few days but she couldn't do it all today.
 
I am sitting on frozen veggies, but had a really good day!! I left the house on my own for the 1st time since my hip! I took a taxi (thankfully got very helpful drivers both ways) and went to get my nails done and eyebrows waxed. I was incredibly nervous and fearful of falling but I just took every step really slow and keep my eyes peeled for any hazards. I was using crutches.

I had to sit in a pretty regular chair while there and it felt okay at the time but holy moly, I am sore now in my hip. Actually leg & hip, but the hip and butt is much worse. I suspect some of it is the chair, some is getting into one of the taxis that I had nothing to grab inside to boost myself in so had to try and lift my leg in without supporting it and partly more walking on the crutches than to date. I have been icing on & off since I got home, nothing feels injured, just tired right out. Mentally as well :) I must keep trying to do things on my own to get over some of this silly fear I know. I think I will be ready for an early night and hopefully sleep well.
 
@Carriemay60, what a grand day you've had even though you're icing and feeling the muscle aches now. A little of that is ok because that is how you build up your stamina and endurance. I also think doing these everyday things makes you use muscles that you don't work out in rehab. The little twists, turns, and leans that come with a taxi ride or a manicure will help build your strength as well as your confidence. Well done! And I'm icing as I type these words after two 1/2 mile walks ( the last one without my cane! ) and the other stuff I did today while hubs was snoring.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Aside from the pain....were you pleased with results? ?? Do you feel better for it? despite having a moan on my own thread I am still grateful that I can do most things now. That said I visited a friend last week for a get together and forgot my cushion. Three hours of a hard kitchen chair and pain followed... I left in the end as I was uncomfortable I just know my coccyx/hip is still not able for it. I hope the icing and resting will make you feel afresh today!
 
@beachgal @NoraJ

No harm done. Had a fairly decent sleep and nothing is amiss this morning :) I agree, it is so nice to be able to start doing things again and getting back to normal little things like getting nails done helps you feel more normal and put together. I have also noticed I am needing quite a bit less painkiller now, almost 1/2!! I take one at bedtime and often when I wake now it's for the bathroom and not due to pain. I do take another one then, not really because of I am having any pain but more to avoid waking a couple of hours later with it having taken a grip on me.

Today is my Uncle's memorial service so it will feel like a long one with the reception afterward and the emotional toll. The service is in downtown Toronto and will be wrapped up during rush hour so hubby and I will hang around for a meal out to avoid the traffic getting out of the city. I am quite sure I will be very happy to get home and in my recliner this evening!
 
I hope the memorial service goes well and you get some comfort from seeing your wider family.
 
@ Carriemay60, my morning devotional was about the heritage and legacy left to us by our extended family and I thought about your uncle's impact on your family. Remembering you and all as you honor him with your thoughts and gathering.

I'm also celebrating your reduction of pain meds! No matter if it changes from day to day, at least you see it moving in the right direction. I've had somedays lately where I've done more and paid the price but a small price to pay to keep moving forward in baby steps.

Hope you and hubby enjoy a nice evening and meal after the dedicated time for your uncle's service.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@Carriemay60
I spent some time catching up with your posts as well. I like reading about your progress. I said it once before and I say it again. You are truly tough with all the aspects your particular journey has you on. Your attitude to persevere and have a good outlook is fantastic. Glad that PT has been good, even if it takes a drain on you. Your husband really sounds like a wonderful person and support for you.

Again, my heartfelt sympathy is with you and your family as his memorial service comes.
 
Thank you all. It was a very nice service with his two oldest children speaking. My Uncle chose both soloists and the songs before he passed, one being a young man who sang "You Lift Me Up" as a lovesong to my Auntie Mary. It was very moving. She has deteriorated so much both physically and mentally since I last saw her, I found it quite shocking. She was in and out of lucidity through the afternoon and unfortunately she still looks for him and has to be reminded, putting her back to square one. I think the kids will be relieved the service is over and they can let her relax and stop having to do that to her.

It was a very long day for me. With traffic we were 2 hours each way and 3 hours at the reception so I am whipped!!

Had a very exciting morning though!! I was going to hubby to NAIR my legs before my shower. So I sat on my bath bench and he was going to help me lift my legs into the tub (the edge is the same height as our toilet). I started getting into position to do as much as I could and before I knew it, I had both my legs in the tub without hubs laying a hand on me!! Got myself out as well :) The NAIR not only took off the dreadlocks on my legs but took a whole lot of dead skin too! I feel pretty human ~ even put make-up on today for yikes sake!
 
Another Nair girl! I'm sold, too! And especially happy on your leg lifting skills in the tub which continue to improve!!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Funerals/memorial services can be moving... its nicer when they are. I've lost quite a few aunts /uncles in recent years..big Irish families... and it's nice when you know the service is what the person have wanted. It should be a celebration of their life.

But then in Ireland can be bit of a social occasion... I had an aunt who travelled the country attending them. Sometimes a good funeral was deemed better than a wedding as you don't have to be invited!
 
Delighted on the Nair update. Has to be added to my shopping list!
 
@Carriemay60, my thoughts and prayers for your uncle's family and you. I am also so glad that you are seeing progress and hitting milestones such as reducing your pain meds and nairing your legs. I shaved my legs for the first time in six weeks a couple days ago, and it felt good.
 
Thank you @beachgal @NoraJ @grnplatebrd @cthipster for all your support, kind words and prayers over the loss of my Uncle.

CtHipster, there is no way I could have shaved mine even if I could reach! During the 5 months I had the full leg brace on I shaved the front of my good leg once but never did it again because it was too precarious to not have that leg planted on the ground. I could literally feel the hair blowing in the wind when I was outside! :)

Noraj, Don't the Irish turn everything into a party?! That is a funny story about your Aunt. One of my cousins that was there yesterday had not seen my Uncles family since the last wedding she had attended. I try to see family more often but it doesn't always work out.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom