THR Happy for any advice!

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Carriemay60 You are on quite a journey, very admirable and I think you have an amazing quality within yourself for enduring your own process. It is impressive and I can fully understand your need to push and be more independent. I am happy to hear that ice is you best friend. I just finishing sitting on my own for a bit ;) I keep up the habit of icing even if not in pain, but I expect I could even do more icing still. As you know, just be careful of your PT as well, it sounds like you have a good relationship with your therapist which is great. Enjoy your Friday and I hope your body feels great over the weekend for a bit of adventure with your husband
 
@beachgal you always have lots of good input and ideas. Am I the only one here that has 2 grabbers? I read that is helpful beforehand, and accidentally ended up with 2 and kept them both. There were so many times that both were 'just beyond my easy reach' for a while there. Funny how that works out
 
Thank you @grnplatebrd for you words of encouragement and support It is odd how fast we make connections here but I certainly feel like some here are true friends with the unlimited support and cheering on.

I'm afraid I let out a real cry of pain as I went to get out of bed this morning. My husband moved like lightening to see what was the matter. I got up in the night for the washroom and my knee was very sore but manageable, yet this morning it is excruciating with sharp pain. Sore up into my thigh and hip as well but then I have learned that all those muscles work together at some point along the path. Very discouraging to say the least. I will carry on with gentle bending exercises as tolerated today in the hope that it will start to relax and the pain will lift but am not going to try and be a hero by any means. Even that may be an hour or two off as right now it hurts like **** with any movement at all. I do completely trust my PT and I really doubt she would do anything to push me too far. Fingers crossed this too, shall pass.
 
Oh Carriemay60 I'm sorry that you've that pain. You've had such a tough journey. Take it handy until it easy with the exercises though no point in pushing it too much. Sending positive thoughts that it'll pass quickly!

RTHR May 27th 2014
 
@NoraJ Thank you Nora, I am going to try to look at it as a possible positive step or at least something working towards one. Not going to let it let it get me down, it nothing else we may learn something from it.
 
@Carriemay60 argh! Heartbreaking to hear of your started your day in pain like that. I hope you are feeling better. Hopefully, rest and ice help to ease. I certainly see how this is frustrating and discouraging. Nice to know that you have your fantastic husband and everyone here to listen to what you are experiencing. As mentioned, perhaps it is IT band related, I am always amazed at how the professionals are able to listen and diagnose (or try to) a condition for symptoms we describe. You have huge amounts of respect from me in your resilience
 
@Carriemay60, I think that your recovery is twice as difficult as some of ours with the THR and knee issues that you are rehabbing so no wonder that your knee pain is also affecting your entire leg/hip! UGH!! If only there was a magic pill...I'd send it to you!

Before I had THR, my local OS did an IT band release procedure on my left leg, thinking that would alleviate the hip pain. Of course, it didn't help it at all, but I'm finding now since he did it, I'm not experiencing what would be the IT band issues some are encountering with their rehab. I guess I did the cart before the horse, so to speak! Occasionally, I screw up and do something right!!! :loll:
 
@toohip @grnplatebrd @beachgal
Thank you for the hugs and support. So far I have just been resting it at elevated and icing. Still much too sore to try any exercises; just barely managing bathroom runs. I will try to google the IT Band thing as I don't know much about it. If I could understand what is going on in there I feel like that would be a huge step in giving me the strength and determination I need to get through all this.


Occasionally, I screw up and do something right!!!

Beachgal, that is the story of my life and I always wonder of the shock it shows on my face! :egypdance:
 
@Carriemay60 I agree with @beachgal. I think you are likely recovering from something that sound twice as hard...at least from my impression. I hope you do find a bit of information about the IT band. Maybe one of the Bonesmart moderators will have a bit of light to shed. I have been told I had a very tight IT band pre surgery and hope that I improve upon that now. I did have some deep tissue massage to help relax it, maybe something like that might be covered or helpful to ease some pain if that turns out to be a similar condition. Thanks for your sunny outlook too!
 
Well, my friends, I am celebrating a couple more little victories tonight. My knee & hip are still pretty sore but not as bad as yesterday and I am able to bear some weight again. If I see a similar amount of improvement by tomorrow I will try a bit more physio exercise with it.

I notice today that I am consistently getting myself in and out of the car without assistance. If the car door is fully extended I also make a good effort to pull the door shut with my crutch. I got dropped off at the grocery for about 45 minutes and using the scooter cart was ready to check out when hubby returned. And!! Deciding I was not going to settle for 2nd best Chinese food I wanted to go our little "hole in the wall" ~ no chance of getting my wheelchair in there so I left it at home, sat in a *big girl chair* with just a little riser to compensate for my knee not yet bending 90 degrees. The chair was padded thankfully and I was quite comfortable, not feeling any ill effects now. I find that a biggy to save my hubs loading and unloading the wheelchair and again to get home.

I have an appointment this week with my thrombosis specialist that I will have to get to on my own. He's at the hospital so it will involve a fair bit of walking unless I find a volunteer to help me. There are lots of places to sit along the hallway so if I leave early I am up for the challenge, I think.
 
Wow! Such a wealth of victories!! Glad some of the pain has subsided. Happy about the car entering and exiting. You're brave to opt out of wheelchair and way to go getting your first choice of Chinese!! The more you try, the more you can do, but with caution!! Way to go!!!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@Carriemay60 great to read about more victories. Those are awesome moments to have and also build confidence along the way. Plus you rewarded yourself with your 1st choice for your effort. I hope the rest of your week follows this momentum
 
Well today will be my busiest yet since the hip replacement. I see my thrombosis Doc just after lunch and my OS for my knee late afternoon. This morning a friend is popping in to help me with a few errands and hopefully be able to stay long enough to drop me at the hospital for my appointments. I have not yet figured out how I will get from one building to the other if I can't find a porter to help me. I go back to see the hip OS next Tuesday - I really wish I could see one OS for both as neither of these guys actually did any surgery on me.

My PT came yesterday and based on how much her "passive range of motion" manipulation has caused pain & swelling in my knee she says she is a bit stumped on how to deal with it. She said she feels like she is hunting in the dark. She has asked that I ask "Dr. Biggest Ego on the planet that doesn't give a hoot outside of actual surgery theatre" again for a MRI to see if there is something else going on in there. I will and hope that this time he grants it. I will hit 6 full months with this knee in 3 days! If he won't order an MRI I am going to ask my rheumatologist to order one. My PT now feels like my leg is holding up my hip recovery because I still walk a bit like a beginner on the walker with no regular stride. If I push hard I can get a max of 28 pounds on my op side standing on the scale and I weigh 140 pounds so that is not a good enough percentage at this stage. I also plan to pick up a disk of my xrays while at the hospital.

Fingers crossed something positive comes out of today!
 
@Carriemay60 fingers crossed for you as well! I hope the busy schedule feels good, everything leads toward solutions and progress. Your OS does sound frustrating in post surgery support. Pulling for you Carrie!
 
I hope the appointments went well... hopefully you'll get the MRI sorted!

RTHR May 27th 2014
 
Today's OS appointment was a complete joke! I will fill you in a bit when I feel a bit better and am not quite so tired. A very long day so heading to bed now. Thank you all for your good wishes :)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom