Guest viewing is limited

THR Happy for any advice!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi @Carriemay60,

It sounds like you're getting about much better which is great! You'll be gadding about in your news clothes in no time.

I don't recall having too much pain in my actual hip. I had pain around the hip which was muscular. I recall aches and stiffness but nothing mild painkillers didn't ease or resting/icing and it didn't get much worse with time. I think the anti inflammatory I took for 6 weeks post op eased a lot of my aches elsewhere so I felt much better on that. I had never taken any prescribed medication pre op. Everyone's individual experience is so different. I'm glad you were able to challenge your doctor to get the pain medication you need though.

I think the sensation of different leg lenght is common enough. I have a LLD but I know several other threads have discussed the very same feeling and once your muscles adapt it eases. The fact you've the double whammy of your leg prob contributes to the feeling.

Good luck with the Nair experiment. I hope it's as successful as @beachgal's!
 
@NoraJ Thank you for your insight. My discomfort/pain is quite likely just muscular as well although I still have my own socket. Josephine did warn me that bone is not terribly fond of the fake parts though. Hopefully, that will not add to my recovery and fingers crossed, the life of my hip. I had a bleeding ulcer many years ago (my 1st year of social work I could not learn to leave my job at home) so cannot take Nsaids or anti-inflamatories unfortunately. We try every couple of years because it would be wonderful for my arthritis but have had no luck. It will be interesting to see what others have to say as well :)
 
I had this plan in my head today to take a taxi to the grocery store timing it so hubby could pick me up there on his way back into town. Don't know if I tired myself out planning or what but I feel like I got hit by a truck mid afternoon, lol Did several stairs yesterday and let my bad leg rest without support, leg raises, etc. has left my knee quite swollen and sore today. BUT, I have a new nightie that is comfy and cool and hubby will be home in a couple of hours to feed me :) Date day tomorrow!!
 
I never got the the ulcer but I'm a social worker for 16 years so I get the stress! I got better at leaving the job at work but after 12 years in family services I moved to private foster care services. A different stress but more manageable. .
 
@NoraJ I have been at it on & off for 29 years (stayed home with my kids a lot) I started in family services, did some contract work overseas which was very interesting and I now work at a men's homeless shelter (Salvation Army) It's pretty intense, the majority being concurrent disorders. I am thinking about going back to family services because right now I work 24 hour rotating shifts, government pay is 3x what I make now and the pension is second to none. If I could afford to work for next to nothing, my dream job would be a home for unwed mothers. I don't love a desk job but may think about for 5 years and then quit working. I am very fortunate that my husband has good pension plans which leaves me some choices. The youngest finishes university this next Spring which will make cash flow so much better!
 
@Carriemay60 and @NoraJ, you both deserve medals. What amazing work you do on a daily basis and I can only imagine what stress is involved. My goodness, I'm sure it's very rewarding work but how do you ever truly leave it at the office?? I'd never be able to sleep!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
My "date day" slipped through my fingers as I opened my eyes this morning to a cry of frustration from hubby. Seems the dog is sick an he has been cleaning up messes for the last couple of hours. Neither of us heard her in the night but she has been sick from both ends in her kennel and then on my rug in the living room. Not sure we would want to leave her if she's not well and then coming home to a mess would be a major drag!
 
Oh I am so sorry about your poor dog - do hope it passes quickly.
 
Not sure if it will help your baby, but when our dogs get sick, we stop their regular food and give them plain white rice, boiled chicken, and pumpkin ( canned purée, not the pie mix). It helps to rest their stomach and intestines and the pumpkin helps with diarrhea. We have also given our goldens Pepto Bismol, but we usually end up with more of it all over us than what goes in them! Good luck!
 
@beachgal your post sent me down memory lane. Years ago we had a 100 pound Golden who could separate food in his mouth and spit the pills out. Hubby would sit on the floor and hold him while I squirted Pepto into him mouth with a really big (60ml) syringe. We would get it down him, but we'd be covered in "the pink stuff." At that time, we thought it was quite a challenge. Those were the days before human kids...:rolleyes:
 
@PuppyLove @Carriemay60 I hope your pup is feeling better?
One of mine has the runs right now, too.
I am giving her steamed white rice from Chinese resty. Easy to get; I am too lazy to cook my own.
Also add a bit of chicken broth. The rice binds things together well......
 
@Carriemay60, hope the pup is better. Hubby and I have missed many a movie because of an ailing dog. Always can see a movie but won't always have these four-legged babies around us. Priorities.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@muckingabout @beachgal @PuppyLove @Poppet @MajorHeidi

Thank you all for the love for Truffles. She has been on rice only since yesterday and no further mishaps so we will try her with her food tonight. I don't have any organic chicken broth on hand and just have the Knorr dry which is high in sodium so she just had plain rice (all our stores were closed for Labour Day ~ even the Liquor Stores!!!! ) She has slept a lot today, but she's a Basset Hound and always sleeps a lot and it's been pouring rain all afternoon (like can't hear the TV over the rain pouring!) I should have followed suit but other things kept me busy like a mother frantic hen.

My PT came this morning and I got 5***! I will give quite a bit of detail here in case anyone else relates to her approach. She corrected my foot placement a bit making sure I land the walker before my foot leaves the ground and then ensure I am going heel to toe. Between heel/toe, making sure my foot is planting straight and not turned to one side, watching out for stray dog toys or said puppy, not putting my walker too far in front and negotiating narrow door ways is so much to think about. As she says, it's a miracle we ever learn to walk at all. She would like to see my straight leg raises get stronger but trusts I am doing things to the right point and happy I do not push beyond that. She thinks I am weight bearing to about 30% on my bad leg/hip so wants me to practice putting less weight on my walker over this next week.

I spoke with her about outside PT (her home visits are covered by my medical for 4 more weeks and can be extended) and have no shame in relating what I read here - she thinks this site is dead on! I spoke about my fear about my fear of being pushed too far and having yet another set back. She said I would have to be really firm which is not my strong suit, especially right now.

She agrees completely with everything Josephine says about not pushing the hip beyond simple PT and regular moderate walking. Building my leg up is still a challenge, it really swells and gets painful after PT, but not as bad as it did and it will do the PT again the next day. She has modified some of my exercises to "less is more". Eg. If I can hold my leg raise to the count of 3 instead of 5 and do it twice more a day (rather than only tolerating once a day) I will gain more in leg strength overall. I can modify to what I can do 3x a day without undue suffering and then slowly build from there. Everything she says makes sense to me for a meaningful, long term recovery. She thinks the doc is a little out to lunch thinking I will be able to stand 8 hours at work if needed, kneel to the floor for CPR and take up to 3 flights of stairs at a walking run in the event of an emergency by November 1st. I would tend to agree but at the same time really miss my work family and the guys. I would not miss getting to my car and office safely with the ice build up we can get here! I will take things as they are meant to be and be grateful neither of my falls weren't worse. Overall, a pretty good day :)
 
One other thing that came up was that she didn't think sitting on the pillow was the best idea. She has encouraged me to buy a proper cushion at the medial supply because we have a low leather sofa that is quite soft. She also recommends it for this rented recliner. My wheelchair cushion is very similar & no idea why I didn't think of it, but I try that for a few days while I cost out the cushions.
 
@muckingabout Yes, exactly! I know with my back surgeries as well, it was a long time before I could sit more than a few minutes on a hard surface (still don't tolerate it well for my back) so carried a pillow to restaurants, park benches, etc. That is not a bad price you found on Amazon but of course for me I have to add about $30 shipping unless it is available on Amazon.ca maybe
 
@Carriemay60, I'm so glad you are seeing progress with the PT and in a way that doesn't hurt you. Also, it seems good news that you are not swelling as much. You are doing great! You will be back to work before you know it, but yes, push that doctor to understand your situation. All the things you do at work sounds ridiculously hard for now.
 
I've been taking a throw pillow with me from my couch. I wonder if it would be worth springing for a hip cushion. I wouldn't bother if I would only need it for a couple of weeks or so. Maybe if I'd need it for a couple of months,
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom