THR Happy for any advice!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can anyone tell me what the benefit of leg lifts are? I mean the full leg. My leg is still a bit like dead weight and it feels like my hip takes the full load which is a turn off for the after aches.
 
@Carriemay60. . Years ago I was sharing a flat with a couple from New Zealand and I got highly indignant when they commented on the Irish turning everything into a sing song...and a party. When I considered it further pretty much every night out in pub ended in a sing song and everyone was required to have a party piece ready! Given many of my friends are from my choir that still stands!

No idea about the leg lifts...I didn't have to do them and have no trouble lifting my leg...
 
@NoraJ my cousin (first generation like me from Irish parents) married a Korean girl a few years ago. Her family was demure and quiet, some of them in traditional garb. My family, many of whom had flown in from Ireland for the event were dancing and singing and standing on chairs.
 
Oops... hopefully the Korean side enjoyed the show! A good wedding has to involve a few people embarrassing themselves!

I was in Italy a few year ago on a choir trip... There was a hosts dinner in the vilkage square which was beautiful. The procesco was on tap...but way more powerful than we realised. .we ended up trying to give a display of riverdance to the other choirs. That was after trying to do few ceile sets that no one remember fully to the frustration of the Swedes who actually wanted to learn it!
 
Can anyone tell me what the benefit of leg lifts are?
They are of no benefit if you are having discomfort or problems lifting your leg. As Jo always says, hips don't really need lots of exercise - just walking and rest. Unfortunately many new hippies are asked to do tons of exercises. Taper off the leg lifts for awhile. That new hip will tell you when it's time to try again.
 
@Jaycey Thank you for taking the time to answer my question. I do appreciate the time and effort you all take for us. I thought that may be the view of Josephine but thought it would be best to check in case they were doing something very useful. I can't see how they are helping my knee/leg either if they cause so much swelling and pain and possibly no PT the following day. I feel like they actually set me back.
 
I remember having problems with leg lifts when PT first asked me to do them. I actually asked one of our mods here about it and she said the same thing - just wait a bit. Especially if you are still having that log leg feeling. I found what seemed impossible one week was easy the next. It all just takes time.
 
Great weekend! We went off to a huge Amish farmer's market yesterday and really enjoyed it followed by cooking together in the kitchen. Today I went grocery shopping (in the scooter cart) while hubs ran a couple of other errands and then returned to pick me up. First time I have been grocery shopping since my hip and since having my leg brace off. Those scooter carts are far more comfy without the steel rods of the brace digging into the back of my leg! :) I managed to the prep all the veggies for dinner tonight. Little things like this help me feel like I am at least starting to get back on track.

I broke a rule yesterday and bent much too far forward while sitting on the bed to get a pair of sandals on. I should have waited and asked for help but thought I could make another step towards independence. I am really regretting it today with hip and nasty groin pain so I will consider myself admonished and not try that again for a while! I think my heel/toe (with the walker) is starting to feel more natural and not having to concentrate on it quite so much, another little plus.
 
Yippee! A bit of normalcy!! It is like salve to a weary soul to reclaim part of your life back! A little ache, a bit of muscle pain, it's all worth it as long as you're not in danger. Keep pushing! Good girl!! So proud of you!!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hi @Carriemay60 Your body will definitely tell you what NOT to do again.
Sounds like you are coming along nicely; just listen to your body.....
Continued best!!!
 
Discomfort in my hip, butt and back of thigh is lingering still. I am not sure if my leg seems a little weak or if I am favouring it a bit but my walk feels like I went backward a week. Just doing what I can, icing lots and not pushing anything. I am still walking my house laps and back and forth about the house to fetch things, let the dog out, etc. I am sure it must be from that bending I did because it certainly feels like muscle. The hip fairies smacked my hand hard for that mistake!

Energy drain hit me hard yesterday, but overall is better. I was back in bed for a nap 2 hours after I got up and enjoyed every minute of my nap and read :) Sitting in the wheelchair I am now helping with dinner prep. I made a big salad that will last us a few meals yesterday and marinated the steaks which I know my husband really appreciates. Feels good to be a contributor in the house even in small ways.

Baby steps!
 
This is so funny! At our daughter's wedding (5 days post op) I was determined to at least stand and hold my hubby during the parents dance just after the kids 1st dance. I am clinging to him for dear life to the tune of Van Morrison's "Bright Side of the Road" which happens to be both sets of parents favorite song. Look at these biceps!!! This is what 6 months of crutches, walkers and pushing my own wheelchair has done to my old lady arms :)
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Happy for any advice!
    11280_10152177243661816_5363741140356605906_n.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 150
hi @Carriemay60 . funny. and that van Morrison song is my favorite dancing song. (talking about music again. and I laughed when you told me kd lang is a her. I wondered why he was wearing a skirt). usually I dance in my kitchen, which, thankfully I can do again! soon you won't have to hang on for dear life. :)
 
lol @dickinson Yes, definitely a "her". I imagine once I get moving properly I will dancing in my kitchen far more than I used to! I will be so grateful to have my life back :)
 
Hi @Carriemay60 , great to hear of your posts of normalcy and feeling like you are starting to get your life back on track. Who can blame us from grabbing for a little more independence or push just a bit too much. Hard not to do sometimes, I think and occasional slight overdo can be healthy to find boundaries. There is a fine line and I have been fortunate to not step very far over yet. My wife is terrified that I will overdo in a big way, but I tell her I am very good about listening to my body. How is everything feeling now after more rest and icing? Hopefully your 'correction' was minor and you are once again feeling like you are moving forward. Energy drains are pretty crazy, I find that ice and naps do a great job in easing that. Be well and enjoy your evening!
 
@grnplatebrd Ice has become my best friend in the last week or so. Still feeling like some muscle issues in my butt and upper back thigh. I am sure it will ease with time, patience and not overstepping (I seem to be having trouble getting that through my thick head) At 6.5 months total in a handicapped state, I am just sick of having to ask or wait for things to be done for me even though the intelligent part of me knows I will heal better if I do.
 
@Carriemay60, I know you must be so tired of depending on others for your care but they are all so invested in your recovery, you really owe it to yourself and to them to give yourself a good shot at healing! Easier said than done, I know! I've been icing more this week, too, and I've had some kinky muscle pains but I think mine is from doing things at work that I've not done since the surgery. I'm bending and reaching a bit more, and it's nothing horrible, but the ice pack does help relieve some of the tweaks when I get home.

I'm still not happy with my chair at home or either one at my office. I've got pillows and cushions in each chair, hoping that I'll figure out what works...and I'm up and down so much at work, it may not matter anyway. Some of the pain is just going to be there as my muscles respond to this new hip!

Be encouraged, though, that all will start improving soon. You've had some really good days lately and I think of those as God's gifts to us to keep us motivated! We really CAN see how lovely life will be when we're all healed up!
:angel:
 
Just saw your comment on @grnplatebrd's thread about dropping small items and struggling to pick them up...so here's another one of my secrets...I get a piece of either double-sided tape or fold a piece of duct tape in a circle where the sticky part is facing outwards all around and stick one side to a ruler and let the other side pick up the pill, earring, onion bit, etc. My reacher wouldn't pick up those things, either, and I had to come up with something that would grab it quickly (ie: dog will eat anything!)...try it and see!
 
@beachgal Great idea with the tape ~ thanks! I imagine some of your muscle tweaks are from the up & down so often, especially if you are doing it without holding onto anything. I don't think it's a movement most of us make earlier in recovery and certainly not at the pace we would at work. Overall, you are doing fantastic!

PT kicked my butt today (actually my knee mostly). She did some rather aggressive manipulation on the knee trying to loosen up or relax the scar tissue in there, then some bends followed by more manipulation. So my knee is really sore right now and extends a bit into my thigh and butt muscles. She just feels it's time now to break that down and get my knee moving better. I can't disagree, no matter how uncomfortable it is for me. She is now going to come twice a week to repeat it all for 2 weeks and then she will move me to outside PT to a place she recommends and is going to talk to them for me about a plan. She also gave me a couple more knee bending exercises or variations of some of them. I may have to get yet another ice-pack to keep the rotation going :)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom