Guest viewing is limited

THR Happy for any advice!

Status
Not open for further replies.
[Bonesmart.org] Happy for any advice!
 
Fantastic news... The difference getting back on the road will make is amazing. It's great you took the step and had the confidence to do it too. Happy driving!

RTHR May 27th 2014
 
Thank you, thank you! Today I will leave the car at home and take a taxi. I finally see the Physiatrist today :) The appointment is at one of our hospitals and the parking is across 4 lanes of traffic with a fairly steep incline up to the entrance & no idea how far I will have to walk once I get in there. With our current rainy weather, taking a taxi is a no brainer. I will do the same for my density test at a different hospital on Thursday. Although I now think one of my biggest issues is scar tissue around my knee, I am still really looking forward to hearing this doctor's insight on what is going on and the pain syndrome they say I have. With his help along with my great PT I am looking forward to some good progress in the coming weeks :)
 
Good luck with your appointment Carrie.
 
Can't wait to hear your news from doctor's visit.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Good luck... I'll be keeping an eye out for your update.

RTHR May 27th 2014
 
Hope your physiatrist appt today goes well for you.
Congrats on getting to driving again. That's big!!!
Love the zebra hip comic. Isn't that the truth!
 
Oh boy! Yesterday was really about facing some fears :scaredycat: It was pouring rain here and hubby was out of town so I had to get myself to the appointment one way or another. I have waited far too long to see this guy to re-book it! Last time I walked on my crutches on a rainy day is the day I fell and broke my hip and I was really scared; stomach upset, teary. I found a wheelchair as soon as I could and breathed a sigh of relief but of course it was raining even harder when I was finished and had to get home. When I got here I had an adult beverage!! :cheers:

The Physiatrist took a pretty in depth history, reviewed all the x-rays and reports and did a physical examination of the leg and hip. He is very confident I do not have a pain syndrome and the symptoms of RSD that I do have are stemming from the DVT and contractures in the knee. He thinks the contractures are significant and to some extent will not completely go away until I have a knee replacement. He actually went so far as to say that it was a result of the break not being treated properly in the 1st place, even in the letter he dictated at the end of the appointment for my OS & Rhuematologist. The break has also complicated the arthritis in my knee. He thinks my hip is healing up very well for the most part and suspects the aching that I still have is due to soft tissue damage that will heal in time. He was adamant that physio not do anything for my hip except the swinging sling that they now do because my mobility is low but insists that walking is the only therapy a hip needs. His specialty is rehabilitation and says he feeds his family treating people who have over done it following hip replacement.

He has referred me for Aqua therapy which is kind of funny because I hate water, hate being wet and my biggest fear is walking on wet surfaces. There is a YMCA not far from us that houses a team of therapists so I will go up to talk to them and see how I can manage.
 
Oh wow...It sounds like someone has finally taken your treatment plan in hand. Had you thought you might need your knee replaced? It is a bit ironic that it was water therapy he recommended but hopefully you'll grow to like it?

RTHR May 27th 2014
 
Carriemay, you are a really strong and determined lady! I admire your grit and bravery with your daily struggles. And the way you always stay upbeat is such a big part in your recovery. I hope you can continue to pursue every avenue the way you have been. It's gonna payoff in time!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Love this new doc! Sounds like he's spot- on with his recommendations and observations. You may end up loving the water after all is said and done. I'm so proud of you for pushing through this and not being deterred. Patience and persistence is our motto!!

Rest well tonight, my friend! I'm smiling.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hi @Carriemay60 - So glad all went well at today's appt. It sounds like your recovery will be a little longer than most, but please keep up your persistence, it will pay off!!
 
@NoraJ @Jaycey @Rhonda K @beachgal @toohip

Thank you my friends, you are all supportive and very encouraging! Nora, with having arthritis for 30 years and definitely feeling it in my knees and hips I suspected I may need some joint replacement when I was much older but did not fathom it being mentioned this early in life. The only things that would really mess with my knees prior to all of this in a big way was a lot of stairs, rough terrain hiking and I could not kneel at all.

Jaycey, right? lol I was pleased to hear a specialist of his caliber say it. It may be because I have nurses very close to me (not the least of which is my daughter) but I tend to believe nurses often know as much, if not more about their field of specialty, especially in terms of patient care.

My recovery will be a bit longer, no doubt but I am very determined to get there. I kind of doubt I will learn to like the water (unless the temp is like a tub) but I will certainly go and work as hard as I can to get everything out of it that I can. I think this doc saying "permanent contractures" freaked me out more than anything I have heard to date.

Today - bone density test! No idea how long those results will take but not really expecting a gold star.
 
The water is warm and lovely where I live! We have two guest suites?? !!

Bone density is not bad nor long. I'll be anxious to hear your results.

Thinking of you, friend. You're doing so well!!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@beachgal My density test was cancelled until the 30th due to a faulty camera. I have had appointments every other day this week so I was quite happy to have a day at home :)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom