Guest viewing is limited

THR Happy for any advice!

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Carriemay60

Just getting over the flu and now catching up. Wow you finally have gotten the perfect doctor and I think your road will be smoother with the new guy. As for water therapy, once you are in it feeling like you are moving like you used to, things will look better.

Have a good day!

Cheryl
 
@CanukTriMom Glad you are over the flu - I had a bout in my early days of recovery, such a challenge!

The Phsyciatrist was a one off appointment for his recommendations and he has written a letter to both my OS and my rhuematologist so I won't see him again. I do feel the appointment was worth it. He prescribed some liquid called Pennsaid that I rub on my knee 4x a day for pain & swelling. It seems to help and makes me wonder why no one has mentioned it before :gaah: I think I am going to try some on the back of hip today, I have a very deep ache going on and some sharp pain at the bottom of my butt. I will still go to physio today but they are not likely to let me do anything hip related so I will just work on the knee. @Jaycey Is it possible for you to leave me the picture graph so I can pinpoint this pain and try to get some advice on it. It has been building over the last 3-4 days and I really can't imagine what I have done to cause it.
 
@Carriemay60, I wish for you pain-free days ahead. I hope that someone will be able to identify the source and correct it in short order! You are way overdue for some amazing news!
 
@beachgal The PT is pretty sure I have some bursitis in my butt, likely caused by how much I am sitting due to my leg. It makes good sense since reviewing it with her and her boss. Hopefully it will clear up soon!
 
Hope that pain clears up for you very soon @Carriemay60. It's difficult trying to do the best for two parts that need healing when what is best for the hip damages the knee x


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
@Hoppy Nanny Thank you, you are a wonderful support and I just love seeing your lovely smile in the threads.

Yesterday was 3 months since my hip surgery & other than this sore butt and hip, I felt pretty great all day! I had a bit of butt massage : Heehee: at physio and did quite a lot of work on my knee and bending. At physio I met a gentleman who was in his 70's and got a new knee 4 weeks ago but went on to tell me that he had a new hip 18 years ago and it is still going strong 8 years after he was told it would likely need replacing!! He says he rarely even remembers he has it ~ very encouraging!

On the way home I was going to stop and vote in our Mayoral election but when I pulled up and saw that I would have to walk a good city block from the closest parking to the doors, I gave up that idea and came home to cook dinner. The guy I had intended to vote for won the election so I now have the advantage of getting the guy I wanted without the responsibility of voting for him if he messes up, lol

Today is all about rain and more rain so I am staying in and am making a huge batch of spaghetti sauce to divide up for the freezer. The Honor Guard funeral and procession is on downtown today for the soldier who was shot on Capital Hill so traffic wise, it's a good day not a good day to be out either. I hope you all have a wonderful day doing what you love if it's within your restrictions :)
 
Thanks @Carriemay60.... I'm not smiling today! I fell over when I was with my grandson yesterday (I was playing football... (Yeah.. Yeah.. I know! Silly old Granny!) managed to avoid landing on my operated hip but managed to bruise my ribs.... Ouch!!!!!
Could do with that butt massage.... Sounds heavenly... Glad you avoided the vote but got the right candidate in the end.... They all do what we don't want them to do in the end!

Sounds like you are on the up.... So glad to hear..., you deserve it!

No football for me today!!!! Xxc


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
Hi @Carriemay60 - so happy to hear that you are improving!! PT has been massaging my IT band and abductor and adductor muscles and let me tell you, THEY ARE TIGHT!! and it's very painful when they first start but by the end of the session it gets a bit easier, i'll see how this goes. It's a longer road for you due to your injuries, I see though the strides you've made already in the past few weeks...and your posts are sounding much more upbeat on your recovery. Keep up the good fight!
Thoughts and Prayers go out to Canada and the family and friends of the fallen military guard.
 
@Carriemay60, glad you had a better day yesterday. With this recovery I have sure noticed when a big issue starts feeling better, another one pops up, especially the small aggravating ones. Just makes us think "what now?" Of course your new pain is not small, but I'm sure it is aggravating! Someday we will get a surprise and not have any new ones, someday out there. Lol. Guess we just have to address each one as they come, but sure wish they would stop coming.....when we have good days,at least we know they are possible and will be the norm, rather than the exception before too long. You are doing such a good job by exploring all options out there. All the parts will all come together for you soon, that's what I'm thinking.

@Hoppy Nanny, glad you are ok. Yikes it must of been scary. I know something like that happening is always in the back of my mind. I know it will most likely happen to most of us at one time or another, but something to be feared for sure. Hope you got yours out of the way now and escaped with not much damage. Glad you are ok.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
@Hoppy Nanny Yikes, I am glad you are okay (or at least close to it!) I don't know if I will ever get over my fear of falling again but I guess if do ever fall, I hope it's because I was playing too hard. Not sure the 2 grandchildren that saw my hip fall will ever recover from all that drama and upset; poor little buttons. Take it easy for a couple of days and for goodness sake Nanny, wear your cleats next time :)

@toohip Thank you for your encouragement. I think I am generally feeling stronger every day which is really helping my physio and overall recovery. I can actually envision a time of being well healed now; someone I had a hard time with for quite a while. I just watched the funeral service on TV, to tragic. His mother had to be held up by two soldiers and his little 5 year old son was looking very smart in a suit and his daddy's service hat. Hopefully, his family will start to find some peace now that all the formalities are over and he has been laid to rest.

@Rhonda K I know exactly what you mean by "what's next". Sometimes I feel like I live in a Jack-in-the-box and the darn thing is always wound up tight just waiting to catch me off guard :wowspring:
 
Hi, @Carriemay60, @Hoppy Nanny, @RhondaK, you girls are sure misbehavin' here...what's with the fall playing football?? OMG! Glad that you're ok but wow! Scary, for sure.

Happy for your massage, I know it feels so good to have someone help ease that pain! Smart gal for passing on the vote! Glad your choice won, equally glad you didn't cause yourself any grief by a long walk!

It's a beautiful, sunny day in south MS and I wish I could send you all some of it! We're due for a bit of rain tomorrow but it's been so dry here over the past two weeks, the yards and flower beds will enjoy it!
 
Hi @Carriemay60... you're a busy bee! It was funny to read about you cooking away..I was thinking a few weeks back you were lamenting not being able to stand long enough to cook. It seems you've come on leaps and bounds in the last couple of weeks.
I hear you on the rain... its been very showery here and I am very wary of going flying!

Poor @Hoppy Nanny my worst fear is I'll fall. I'm glad your hip survived but pity about your ribs...

RTHR May 27th 2014
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@beachgal I seem to be going through another one of those stages of having one ache/pain after another. I already have PT booked for today but think I will skip Friday, get some rest and just concentrate on some walking.

@NoraJ Wow lady, nice to see you! I am still doing most of my cooking from the wheelchair. Sometimes, I stand at the stove or sink for a few minutes with my walker and can balance hands free for a few minutes. But generally I am wheeling around our little kitchen with the cutting board on my lap as a counter top and my tongs to reach things without getting up and down so often. Not sure I do myself many favours with this method as I do get up & down a lot and am always reaching into the fridge pulling on all kinds of muscles in my hip and butt. By the time I got that spaghetti sauce on simmer yesterday I was screaming for ice in all kinds of places.

Although I am alone all day I am sure walkers going by think an old fish wife lives here, I drop things constantly which becomes so frustrating when I am on the last wooden spoon and yep, I drop it! I also drop bits of food I am chopping off the cutting board so the dog has become a bit of a moocher, but she gets trouble for mooching so she tries to cover that up by bringing ALL her toys into the kitchen and trying to distract me with her silly games. The toys (and the dog) get under my wheels so I am yelling her to get her dang toys and her mooching self out of the kitchen while I am flinging toys through the kitchen door with my reacher! Little brat :dogwalk:
 
Yesterday was full of all kinds of new & wonderful things for me. The day started with a visit to the YMCA to meet with one of the young gals about water therapy and how suited I may be for that. To get in there was the longest I have walked to date and my eyes were peeled for wet puddles on the floor the whole time. Then the girl at the front desk told me my appointment was down the hall, past the stairs, up the elevator, turn left down that hall......... After the meeting, I had to walk back to the car too! lol

If you have read any of my thread you likely know I have an absolute terror of falling so even the thought of wet change room floors and pool decks are enough to put me in therapy for years to come. When I started to explain this concern to the girl I started to cry. Jeez!! We talked mostly about a "hydrotherapy" class that is geared to hip & knee replacement patients. Turns out I can do the class all in the shallow end (I can't swim) and hang onto the side of the pool (still can't stand without an aide). So my biggest challenge will be getting through the change rooms, changed, across the pool deck and into the pool.

I can take my walker onto the pool deck (crutches are far too dangerous for that environment, as I well know). The lifeguards and instructor will help me into the big pool (where the class is held) or I can be lowered on a elevator type platform. To get in the small pool which is a little more than waist deep for me they have a ramp and can wheel you in using their wheelchair.

There are a couple of options for a change room also. There is a "Special Needs Family Change room" that is a bit quieter than the general change room and my husband can go through there with me. Also you can pay a little more a month and go to the 18+ only change room that is quite a bit quieter, better seating, etc. Avoiding people moving quickly around me is obviously a big plus to me. They have given me a 2 week free pass for me and my husband so he can take me a couple of times to explore how I manage . Then if I feel okay with it all, I will start the class. So we can go to some "member's only" times to check it out and see how I do getting in and out of the pool. Our first trial will be Saturday and I will just try the small pool for starters and hopefully be able to have a bit of a soak in the hot tub :)

After all that I went for a manicure/pedicure and of course the only parking spot was ages away from the entrance I needed so a lot more walking! Off to physio where she started working on some new stuff with my gait and parallel bars/weight transferring, etc. I opted to go for Chinese food instead of cooking after all of this and we got home at 7:00pm. By 7:15, I was in bed and my husband claims he found me asleep with my e-reader still on 15 minutes after that, lol Slept 11 hours :)
 
@Carriemay60

I hear you about those dog toys! My big 80 lb lab loves her bucket of toys. She always has a stuffie in her mouth, such a retriever. At the end of everyday, there are toys all ove the living room and the kitchen...Oh well that's what makes her so loveable.

How was the funeral for Cpl. Cirillo? When he left Ottawa, thousands lined streets, overpasses etc to bid him farewell and I was one of those waving him home.

Keep icing, elevating and don't forget about getting your outdoor Vitamen D!

Cheryl
 
@Carriemay60, well sounds like you are about to embark on something huge for you. And I would guess a little scary for you. But I hear water therapy is great to help with mobility issues. I'm like you, not a water person so I know it's not easy for you. I would start with the way that makes you feel safest. Until you feel comfortable go slow and easy just like everything else with this recovery. Another brave step forward for you. Hoping the Benefits are so worth it.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
@Carriemay60 Well, I am impressed with all your progress. I have fallen behind with keeping up, driving, positive visits with the doctor, more independence and the extra therapy. Really happy for you Carrie. These are great moments for you and I hope they only build from there
 
@CanukTriMom My in-laws trained their dog to put her own toys away at bedtime. She knows she doesn't get her little bedtime snack until all the toys are in the basket. I tried to get Truffles to do the same and even though I started trying with her at about 3 months, she still just looks at me and cocks her head like I'm crazy! The funeral was nice and very moving. I watched on TV but there were thousand lining the procession route and if the newscasters weren't talking you could literally hear a pin drop. The respect shown to that young soldier was very sincere. His little son (only 5) walked that entire procession which was a good few miles in his little dark suit and his daddy's soldier's hat holding his aunts hand. So sad.

@Rhonda K Yes, it feels huge right now but I am sure it will slowly get a little easier. So many praise the benefits of water therapy that I think it definitely worth a very good try!

@grnplatebrd Thank you! It is interesting to see your summery when you pop in after a month - gives me a review of what I have accomplished. As you know, we don't tend to notice our own baby steps until someone points them out as having added up to bigger accomplishments.
 
@Carriemay60 I like the way you put that. Glad that you reflected back on your progression like that. Always the positive spin:). Have a wonderful Halloween and hope there are plenty of laughs to go along with it. I have a hunch that your house would be a fun one to visit for trick or treating.
 
@grnplatebrd I usually really enjoy seeing all the kids and often put a costume on myself for Halloween (this one I had made in China when we lived there) It is almost like a fine chain link material and made for an awesome Trick or Treating! We are in for some cold weather tonight and the possibility of snow so I am just not up for sitting outside to hand out candy this year. I have given the candy to my neighbour to hand out. They have no children but he decorates his yard up crazy like a graveyard and chases the older kids with a fake chainsaw while dressed in a orange overall and some of kind of creepy head mask. Last year, he saw some young teens approaching down the street and buried himself in leaves with that chainsaw. When he came up out of the leaves, I bet those boys nearly peed their pants. So funny! I may be able to get a good view from the kitchen window this year:)

I talked to all 4 of my 5 grandchildren last night. The oldest grandaughter had to stay over at her mom's last night to get her "Elsa" make-up done before school. Her little brother is going to be a policeman "with no gun Nanny because we are not allowed weapons at school" lol. Another grandson is going to be some kind of homemade transformer his preschool teacher mommy made and the two little girls are batgirl and .... Spiderman! Ruby is hilarious how much she loves Spiderman. She had to have a Spiderman birthday party last year and they are having to talk her out of the same theme this year for her 3rd. We are going to visit this week so I volunteered several different ideas to her and she has taken it the list and put it all together as one now wanting a "Nanny Speggi picnic, tea party" Not quite sure how we will pull that off!


[Bonesmart.org] Happy for any advice!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom