Guest viewing is limited

THR Happy for any advice!

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Nannyannie Thank you for your good wishes for our turkey day. My husband is from South Wales so knows the areas you are talking about for your husband & son. Could we be more proud? :) I laughed at you saying your husband still eats like the bell could go any moment! My son does do far more in road rescue than fires - he has had a couple of real bad ones involving young kids that have left him suffering from PTSD which he now works with the Department about. Getting awareness training, etc. has become his passion as he heals himself.

I hate swimming (actually can't swim) and do not even like being wet all that much but I do look forward to getting in a pool now; hopefully a very warm one! I really feel walking in the pool and some kick board paddling will really help me. I cannot take a single step yet with two crutches or my walker so not quite ready for the pool yet, but hopefully soon. I have two areas that look like quite deep scab on my incision but it looks very well healed and is certainly clean & tidy.

@Jaycey Thank you for the link, I will go ahead and read that now. From the bit of research I have done, I would agree with you that it might not be so bad. In my situation, it certainly warrants some investigation and discussion with my OS!
 
@CanukTriMom I agree with you about a good mattress. When we moved back to Canada, our giant king would not fit up the stairs to our master bedroom so we are now using a futon up there. I am still in the guest room on the main floor and have a JYSK memory foam mattress which is pretty darn good for the money. Once I can get back upstairs a new memory foam for that room will be travelling with me for sure. When we move in 6 years I will spend some good money on a really good mattress, king size!

I have slept with a pillow between my legs since my 1st back surgery in 2000. If not between my legs then under my top leg for side sleeping. I used to be a tummy sleeper but haven't been able to do that since back surgeries. We used to stay at Westin Hotels a lot and I love their mattresses; still not off my short list for a new mattress!
 
@MajorHeidi Thank you! I am really looking forward to our turkey dinner and pumpkin pie! I was determined to do quite so many sides this year but old habits and traditions are so hard to break and I have wound up with 8 veggie dishes yet again :)

Apparently the x-ray shows no foot or ankle fractures yet I still get very sharp pains in the ankle when doing pumps. The Radiologist has diagnosed Osteopenia which is low bone density and is often a precursor to osteoporosis. Apparently bone growth is also very slow which may explain a bit about how slow my knee was to heal in the 1st place. A bone density test is being arranged and I will get my OS t review my ankle x-ray tomorrow when I see him. So strange how much that hurts!?
 
:cheers: :sleep: Groan!! I am stuffed to the gills and tired out! I headed to the kitchen about 10:30am and did all the veggie prep with a lot of help from my son. He did most of the fetching and washing while I did all the peeling and chopping. We broke the day up with lots of chit chat and jokes. Our goal was to have almost everything table, micro ready or oven ready by the time the turkey was being carved. It worked quite well; the only things on the stove top when the turkey was being carved was my sprouts and the gravy.

On the menu was a 10 pound turkey (first time I have been convinced to cook less than 22 pounds in almost 30 years!) homemade stuffing, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes with dark brown sugar & pecans, mashed rhutabaga and carrots, brussel sprouts with bacon & toasted almonds, baked squashed, braised parsnips, homemade pickled beets & cranberry sauce. Of course gravy and pumpkin pie with whipped or ice-cream. Choice of red or white, some nice music and I think we had the perfect evening. My sweet son did all the clean up!!
 
@Carriemay60,
That's awesome. Glad you had a great day.Sounds like you have an awesome son.Happy thanksgiving to you and yours.
Dan
 
I am exhausted just reading about that delicious meal! So many of my favorites on your menu. And a clean-up crew of one! What a dear!!

You'll sleep well tonight, I hope. Lots to give thanks for, my friend.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Loving the sound of your Thanksgiving dinner....over ordered again Huh? you son sounds an absolute delight! Can I ask what is rhutabaga? Thought I'd heard of every veg going ! Hope you've had a rest since doing that mammoth dinner prep! Old habits are hard to break....xxx


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
@Hoppy Nanny You may know rhutabaga by a different name. It is part of the turnip family. The skin is purple near the top and changes to yellow on the bottom and covered in a wax substance. The flesh is yellow and much milder than a white turnip. Hand mashed with an equal amount of carrot & butter is aweome, especially with roast beef!
 
@Carriemay60 your Thanksgiving dinner sounds grand! Well done on having all the help. Big dinners like that are very tiring anyway - let along during recovery! Hope you can get some rest tomorrow!
 
Hi @Carriemay60 your array of vegetables was outstanding! It sounded delicious. .. I shared American Thanksgiving on several occasions with my friend so I've has a few tasters along the way and make a mean pumpkin pie!

Yep we call a Rhutabaga a turnip or a swede in this neck of the woods. It's gravy to me that makes the difference! Enjoy the family time...

RTHR May 27th 2014
 
Hey did you guys know that originally Canada and the U.S. shared the Canadian Thanksgiving day! Years ago, an Ameican president changed the US celebration to November.
 
@Jaycey Thank you but I honestly could not have done it without my son's help. He was at the ready all day to reach, lift, put water on veg. Everything that could be cooked ahead and popped in the oven later of the microwave was done that way so all that was on the stove in the last minutes was the gravy & the Brussels. Many holiday meals, I am often too tired to even eat by the time I get it served but did fine yesterday - a model cooking day to be followed again :)
@NoraJ Thank you for reminding me of "swede"! This morning I could not pull that word for the life of e and was too lazy to google! I often buy a 'free range' turkey which makes a huge difference in meat flavour and the gravy is way beyond lovely. They are a bit pricey, but worth every penny and the drive out to farms or Amish communities to buy them. Obviously, not driving at all so I settled for a store bird (which turned out very nice). The store was also selling separately wrapped necks so I got 2 extra necks to add to the roasting pan with the idea of making it "more free range". The drippings made a really nice crispy skin and great gravy! I could have used you on hand though ~ we did a bought pie this year and I actually found it pretty spicy. We go our son's & his in-laws for American Thanksgiving in Indianapolis this year and I am hoping to be on my feet enough to make a pumpkin and an apple/blackberry pie.
@CanukTriMom Sure, they change Thanksgiving 1st and now they have us changing our time on different weekends!! What next? lol
 
@Carriemay60 Oh I am so happy for you that Thanksgiving worked out so nicely for you and your family.
I am really looking forward to this year's since last year I was in pain and limping with the cane ; it was all so hard. This year will be joyous!
 
Sounds so good. Some people don't like turkey but I love it... its a Christmas tradition in my home with an assortment of veg and potatoes cooked about four ways!

P.s. I have the blackberries from my garden in the freezer for you....

RTHR May 27th 2014
 
Ah..swede...! Love it! Oh yes @NoraJ the gravy makes it! When you said potatoes four ways it reminded me of our trip to Kilmore Quay one year...we were served mash, boiled, chips & roasties! Never seen so many potatoes.
We always have turkey at Christmas...I'm hosting it this year for 11 of us and like @MajorHeidi will be doing it with my new pain free hip ( dont know about the rest of the body though!)


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Yesterday my OS injected my knee joint with a great big needle of steroid and anesthetic. Oh boy did that injection hurt! I was told to take it easy and just do a few gentle knee bends last night which I did. On instruction, I go to physio this afternoon ~ he wrote her a note but darned if I can read his writing. I would assume she will increase the passive ROM massage and movements & start to work through the scar tissue. I am very hopeful that if my leg gets bending better I might be able to drive the back streets back & forth to physio at least (that would save me $100 a week on taxis!) I forgot to ask him how long these injections last but I see him again in 4 weeks. He is not a big fan of the surgical scar tissue release as it often returns even worse so he considers that option a last resort. At least something is being done! I also chatted with my boss this morning; she is so supportive :) She says they had a management discussion about me trying to see if I could get modified duties anywhere in the building but unfortunately some shifts are solo just with security officers so there is no avoiding the challenges in the event of an emergency. She said they concluded the best thing they can do for me is to allow me time to heal properly and safely without pressure from them.
 
Hi @Carriemay60 - I am so glad to hear that your recovery is moving along! Crossing my fingers and toes that you'll be driving soon!! Your body has been through so much...hoping you've turned the corner!!!
 
She said they concluded the best thing they can do for me is to allow me time to heal properly and safely without pressure from them.
Wow - what an incredibly supportive employer. Great to see this! I think a supported member of staff is so much more likely to give back in terms of loyalty. Too bad there are not more like your employer!
 
@Carriemay60 so glad some kind of treatment is in motion. Every journey starts with the first steps, hope these are finally the right ones and go in the right direction. Hope that injection kicks in and lessons the pain and stiffness, otherwise almost impossible to make progress, which is what you need. I know you embrace each little improvement so hoping some happen!!!!!

And what a great situation with your employer. How great is it not to have the added stress and worry about work? Some people do have a heart!!! Sure hope you are on your way, or at least at the start of healing and doing better.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom