THR Happy for any advice!

Status
Not open for further replies.
@insexec @grnplatebrd @toohip @NoraJ

Thank you all for your good wishes for my appointments yesterday. The appointment with the Thrombo specialist went well and I was in & out in record time for that clinic! He is going to do genetic testing for a predisposition for blood clots in November and then I see him again 6 weeks later for the results and to find out how long I will stay on blood thinners. From there, I had over 2 hours to wait for the OS appointment so the girlfriend that had gone with me wheeled me down to a fun patio pub area (perfect jeans/t-shirt weather) and we had a nice lunch and a beer along with a really nice visit.

I stopped by the x-ray department to ask for copies of my x-rays and was told 3 x-rays were already ordered by Ortho for my appointment so she would include those too. I get those early next week. When I got upstairs they did the ordered x-rays but one. They had me sitting in a chair with my foot on a lift and attempted (very hard) to bend my knee deep enough so my foot was going under the chair. No way could it be tolerated so they skipped that one but they left my knee (and hip, oddly) in quite a lot of pain.

I'm not sure if you remember me being told on my return to my home province that I was not allowed to see the same OS for my knee and hip by my OS's secretary, the Ortho support staff, the hip OS and his nurses. I had really tried to push for one doc because often wait 3 hours for the appt. They said I had to go through the referral procedure and see two different doctors. Another blast from past posts was the fact that my Edmonton surgeons recommended that I have my doctor here explore the possibility of Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy (RSD). At the time we had never heard of this. I had given the hip OS all the notes from Edmonton including one about RSD and they had photocopied them for my chart. My husband was with me for all the above so I am confident in my recollection.

So I get in with "Dr. Ego" (with my girlfriend who is a homecare nurse) and right away he asks why I am even there because I had been told I could see the hip OS for both my hip and knee and the hip OS would be taking over my care. (he obviously knew I was coming if he had pre-ordered x-rays) I told him I had been told I couldn't do that and he basically called me a liar, saying it had all been agreed and I had been advised. I was gobsmacked!! Then out of the blue he says something about RSD and I said "oh, that's interesting because it is something my hip surgeon thought should be explored". He turns to me and says , "well of course, I have talked to about RSD before and told you that's what you have, of course you do"! He then pointed to my x-ray and said my tibia plateau looked stable and was not compressing but to look at all the mottling in the tibia and fibula and said "that is RSD". Unbelievable!! So when we finally got home at 6:30 at night my girlfriend and husband compared notes on these two appointments. My hubby was as blown away as I was.

I truly give up on these idiots in that clinic and wish it were easier in Canada to get another doctor/opinion. I do see the hip (and now knee) OS next Tuesday but I think all my hopes of any decent care is now in the hands of the Physiatrist I see in October. They apparently look at the whole picture rather than the OS approach of surgery and bones only.

**Physiatrist: A physician who specializes in physical medicine and rehabilitation. Physiatrists specialize in restoring optimal function to people with injuries to the muscles, bones, tissues, or nervous system**

So after all this I hit the sack just after 7pm and thankfully slept quite well but my knee is out of commission today.
 
@toohip Thank you for that link! It explains much better in layman's terms than anything that I had found. It was completely new to me when I heard about it as well and from where I now sit I am quite excited about my appointment and hopefully getting some help with my leg. As time passes I worry that the leg is holding up my hip recovery and of course I want the best possible outcome there as well.
 
Oh @Carriemay60 what an awful experience. It blows me away how disrespectful professionals can be. There must be a way of making a complaint about the quality of care you've received. At least you were throuogh with the records that were passed on and that you had someone with you with a medical background.
Hopefully Tuesday will be a more productive appointment!


RTHR May 27th 2014
 
@NoraJ I agree. I'm not sure how dumb this guy thinks I am but he treats me a little old lady that doesn't know If she has her socks on looking right at her feet! It really blows me away.
 
@Carriemay60, I agree with @NoraJ, there must be a way of complaining about such treatment. I'm encouraged, though, that you're moving on with another professional that may be better equipped to handle your issues. I look forward to reading about the outcome of the Tuesday appointment!
 
@beachgal @NoraJ Yes, I agree it should be reported and it will be - we were talking about it last night. I am still debating whether to report it now or once I am released from the OS though as I don't want to compromise my care.
 
Making a valid complaint should certainly not impact your care. Surely it should in fact have the opposite effect?

RTHR May 27th 2014
 
@NoraJ I just don't trust these guys Nora. To stand right in front of me and lie to my face is just the epitome of unprofessional and is an indication that they would do anything to cover their tushes. The charge nurse who was one that was very insistent that I had to see two OS docs stood right there too. Just shameful and leaves me able to expect almost anything!
 
@Carriemay60 Wow, that is hard to read. Sorry to hear of your arduous journey in your recovery. I hope your new appointments put you on a positive course with your healing and you can leave this person behind. I agree with the others, a complaint is in order to let others know of your experiences. I hope you have a sound sleep to wake rejuvenated
 
@grnplatebrd Well having had such a busy day yesterday and feeling less than comfortable today with leg and hip I took a nap at hubby's suggestion this afternoon and went into a dead sleep for two hours! I was also feeling stressed about yesterday and feel better that way now too. After some reading this morning and looking at some pictures of restricted positions, I can now see why my hip is so sore today. The way they were attempting to position me for that one x-ray broke a few rules for my hip so I think I will pay the price like if I had tried to end beyond 90 degrees while twisting my leg. She only did leg x-rays and I now wonder if the x-ray tech was aware of my hip? though I think I mentioned it to her.

I am not going to keep high expectations of the OS clinic because it stresses me out when they never seem to help or do anything productive. I will go through the motions of my checks and make the best of that but my hopes now really lay with the Physiatrist. Toohip's link lead me to quite a bit of reading about them this morning and I am confident that they will be the answer to my particular problems being resolved. I just wish it were coming up a bit sooner, but I will keep pushing on until I see them mid October. :)
 
so sorry to read all this @Carriemay60 . I tend to agree with you about waiting to make a complaint till you're well and don't need them anymore. people with big egos aren't above revenge, imho. anyway. hope you can move on with your recovery and feel better soon.
 
Today was good! I finally got a pedicure in a big comfy chair and had my nails done :) I made wrong error in judgement and said "Sure!!" when the girl asked me if I wanted the massager activated on the chair. I was expecting a soft rolling kind of massage like I have experienced before. Little did I know, it would feel like 20 little fists pounding my back and down into my butt and hip ~ cut the power to that pretty darn quick!! lol I stayed in the mall for a little bit and bought a new top & sweater and a bit f make-up. Made for a very nice change :)
 
It great you got out to do something nice for yourself!

RTHR May 27th 2014
 
@Carriemay60, what a great day you had! Two of my favorite things--mani/pedi and shopping!! There is nothing like glimpses of normalcy to assure us of the life we are meant to live! Yay for you!!



Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@beachgal Exactly, even not being very mobile beyond a couple hundred yards it is still a little of the life I am slowly getting back. I had hoped to get out again today but holy cow is it ever storming here! Unless it clears up, I may have to have a day in but lazy Sundays with hubby home is quite different than home alone in the week :)
 
It's sunny and warm here on the coast so we'll get a walk in this morning and perhaps a pizza al fresco late afternoon at sunset. Let's both enjoy our Sundays post-op and give thanks for our new hips!!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@Carriemay60
Super happy for your wonderful day out and activities that contribute to your overall well being and spirit. Stormy? Hunker down and make it one of those cozy Sundays if you can. Our days are numbered here, soon I will have a surplus of rainy Sundays.
 
@Carriemay60 - So glad you had a nice day out...must feel uplifting and much needed!! Enjoy your lazy day with hubby and newly painted fingers and toes.
 
Hmmm, so I hit 8 weeks out today ~ first time I have really counted how far along I am because I think when I was really aware of 1, 2 & 3 weeks I compared my recovery to others too much. For whatever reason, today I counted it off - doesn't really make a lot of difference, I am where I am. Obviously I wish I didn't also have my leg to contend with and recover from so I could be enjoying a few more of the things that those of you close to surgery date are now enjoying. My time will come, I know. For the last 20 hours or so I have not taken any Percocet, just Tylenol #3. An hour ago, I gave in and took the Percocet and am sitting on ice. The ache just became unbearable in my hip. My knee has also been very sore all day but in part I was blaming the stormy weather and my arthritis. Not quite there yet, but a good experiment before seeing the OS on Tuesday.

The day turned out rather nice, lots of heavy rain squalls going through so stayed in but 'Forest Gump' was on TV followed by 'Love Happens' and homemade soup for dinner that was awesome ~ Yes!!! I made it entirely myself yesterday :) A corn chowder which I will definitely repeat the recipe for. Periodically throughout the day, my son was posting fun pictures of two of my grandchildren at the Calgary Zoo - good day.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom