Pain medications: alternatives for those with liver issue

Josephine

NURSE DIRECTOR EMERITUS
Nurse Director
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
This was a report from CyborgGrandma

I have non-alcoholic liver cirrhosis and have struggles with medications. I know this is a common struggle for many so I thought I would share some of what worked for me. Not advice so much as maybe something to ask your doctor about if you have these issues.

I can't take NSAIDs at all. That slowed my initial recovery somewhat. I found that rest and ice and elevation were essential but also actually relaxing helped more than one would think. Not that it is easy really. You have to learn the hard way I guess, to just be where you are and breathe in and out. I think I get in the way of my body more than anything.

Dust bunnies are not carnivorous so I have just had to accept them. I did find some practical help with medication too by being persistent - and not obnoxious which was a bit harder. My GP put me on Butrans patches a month and a half ago because I have pain still that was impeding my progress. The patches are great and since they don't go through my gut it minimizes gastric and liver impact. No fuzzy brain, no constipation and consistent relief.

I am back to the gym and recently went on vacation to Colorado . Walked through parks and art fairs and airports without wanting somebody just to shoot me and get it over with. I also got some Pennsaid (also Voltaren/diclofenac) gel. It is prescription anti-inflammatory stuff but again not through the gut so minimal liver impact.

My liver tests are all running pretty close to normal for somebody with a healthy liver. I think having less stress from all the pain makes a difference to my whole body. Another reason not to put these knee things off too long maybe.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom