BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

Dismiss Notice

[TKR] Greda's recovery story<<

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Recovery Area' started by Greda, Aug 29, 2018.

1. Greda

Greda graduate

United States United States
    I decided to go out in the world today. I went to the library to check out some books. Everything went ok until I got home and my foot slipped off the running board of the truck. My foot came down and my knee bent much further than it should have. :yikes: At least it happened after I got home. I hobbled in the house and got ice and resting.
    Our first year living here and we are expecting a lot of trick or treaters. Our cul-de-sac alone has 20 kids that play on the street. They are always skating or biking up and down the street. Looking forward to seeing all the kids in their costumes.
    :mooncat: :mooncat: :mooncat:

• Like Like x 1
  2. Jockette

Jockette FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Oh my, I’m sorry !

That’s what we call a “manipulation WITHOUT anesthesia!

I hope you recover quickly.

Enjoy the costumes tonight!

My grandchildren live in Ohio and their area did trick or treat on Sunday night, my daughter said there was also thunder and hail! It must have been a spooky evening! :yikes: :bolt:

3. sistersinhim

sistersinhim FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

I am so sorry to hear about your slip and forced bend. You will be uncomfortable for a few days, I bet. You know the routine, rest, ice and elevate.

4. Greda

Greda graduate

We had over 100 kids in 2 hours come by trick or treating. My knee is very unhappy with me. I am going to be icing and elevating and reading my library books tomorrow.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Greda

Greda graduate

I thought yesterday would be a tough day after my slip off the truck running board — I was wrong today was the day my knee told me to stop everything! I have even had trouble getting up off the couch which is something that had improved greatly. I know this is a long process and I am near the beginning but am so ready to be closer to the end of the recovery. Today has been a day of trying to make myself be positive but is just not happening. Feeling depressed and sorry for myself which is not going to help but hard to shake. I see the PA on Monday and not sure what to expect. I got the appointment reminder call today and was told to come 20 min early. They have recently changed to coming 10 minutes early to 20 minutes early. It is more waiting than seeing anyone. I dread sitting and waiting then the PA wanting me to do stuff with my knee after sitting for 30+ minutes. She acts like that sitting that long should make no difference and I wonder how in the world she does not know that will affect my knee. I just have been thinking too much and need stop worrying about things I can’t change.

6. Motherbone

Motherbone member

:console2:Some days are just the pits. It's ok to feel sorry for ourselves every now and then. Healing takes a long time. Sending support your way.

7. Greda

Greda graduate

@Motherbone I read your recovery thread and can’t believe all you have had to go through. After my lateral releases I had to wear an immobilizer and it was so annoying how it constantly slipped down. I hope things improve for you! Thank goodness for this forum it helps to know I am not alone. Thank you for your support!

8. kneeper

kneeper FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

20 minutes early for an appointment seems excessive unless they have paperwork or something for you to do. Maybe people are coming late? I know one of my docs asks you to come 10 minutes early in case of paperwork. But you usually wait about 10 minutes after your appointment time.
    Still, I'd rather have the doc spend time with patients even if she runs late.

Maybe walk around a little bit while you're waiting so you don't get so stiff?

9. Greda

Greda graduate

Today when I got up from bed I had a really hard time walking. That was a problem earlier in recovery and today it was so bad I had to hold on to the wall to have support when I walk. Walking got better as time went on. I may put my cane by the bed so if it happens again I won’t be trying to grab the wall.
    Plus I am coughing again. I can feel drainage from my sinuses. I took some Sudafed. I really hope I am not getting sick again. I had to stop the antibiotics 2 days early because of a rash on my arms. I had taken the antibiotics for 12 days so I thought that should have been enough. My husband said many people at his work are sick or calling in sick.
    I will try walking tomorrow while waiting for my appointment.

10. Jockette

I’m sorry you’re having such a tough time. I hope, too, your cough clears up and that you’re not sick again. :console2:

11. sistersinhim

When I had to wait in the doctor's office more than a few minutes I either pulled a chair over and propped my let up on it, or used my cane to put my leg up on. I would not sit for all that time with my leg down. Elevate it the best way you can. As far as going in early, it sounds ridiculous. That has no consideration for the patient's time at all.

12. Greda

Greda graduate

I decided to cancel my appointment with the PA today. I was up coughing all night and have a headache. I will reschedule when I am feeling better. Going to try and get in touch with my primary care doctor and see if she will call in something for my cough or if I need to go in again. My husband says his work is really short staffed due to illness. I guess stuff is going around.

13. Greda

Greda graduate

I was able to get some stronger cough syrup and an inhaler with a steroid in it. I am hoping this does the trick the cough is driving me and my husband crazy. We need to have some work done with our furnace and change water softeners companies. This week I had appointments to get estimates. The bad part of it was having to take the service men down two sets of stairs to check out the basement. My knee is unhappy with me. I am glad my husband has a 3 day weekend so he can do more with the cats. I am going to try to ice and elevate to try and get the swelling down. My knee looks like a weird shape due to the swelling so I know I need to ice and elevate.
    My next appointment with the OS is not until 11/28.

14. sistersinhim

I sure hope that cough medicine helps you out. Your poor body is fighting enough after the surgery without adding an upper respiratory infection to it.

15. Greda

Greda graduate

It can’t seem to get over this sinus stuff. For a couple of days I think I am over it then I start having sinus drainage and coughing and a runny nose again. My sinuses aren’t hurting like before but I am exhausted. I don’t know if the exhaustion is from the illness or knee recovery. I think the swelling has gone down some. I decided yesterday to try the stationary bike which I have not had the energy to do. With the seat still high and no resistance I can do a full rotation forward and backward. I rode about 5 minutes. That made me feel a bit better. I still feel like there is a tight band at the top of my knee. I can bend so far and then my knee just stops. I have been trying to go upstairs the right way but have to use the hand rails on both sides. It is so hard to do. I try a few times a day. It will be 12 weeks on Wednesday. I think my biggest issue is exhaustion. I sleep all night and take a couple of naps during the day. This morning I got up at 8 am and by 10 am I was asleep again and slept until 11:30. Most days I fall asleep again around 3:30pm and sleep until 5. I sleep at night from 11pm until 8 am. Maybe it is the combination of the illness and recovery but I feel like I should be doing more. I am discouraged at this point and try to get things done while I am awake but everything is just so hard. My husband has to go out of town tomorrow. It is a short trip but I dread him being gone.

• Like Like x 1
  16. sistersinhim

I was alone almost all the time and I did fine with it. Most of my waking hours I was here on Bonesmart or watching mindless TV. You'll be fine, too.

I'm sorry your sinus stuff is still a problem. I imagine your tiredness is from the two things you have been through. You knee surgery drains your body enough, then all that sinus infection on top of that! No wonder you are exhausted. Sleep as much as you can. Sleeping is recouping. You heal better when asleep! Sleep away!

17. Greda

Greda graduate

Yesterday I had the furnace repair guy come and put some ductwork and vent in a room in our basement that did not have a vent. He also put a humidifier on our furnace which will hopefully help with the dry air and static electricity this time of year brings. It has been so cold and today it is finally warming up to the 40s. I am just glad we are misssing the snow.
    I had to show the furnace guy where everything was which included taking him down 2 sets of stairs, I told him I had recently had knee surgery so I was slow. He proceeded to tell me his grandfather had a knee replacement and was back to normal in a week. I just said he must be lucky because the recovery is much longer than that. Still having sinus issues and have to go pick up prescriptions at the pharmacy and will ask the pharmacist for a recommendation.
    My husband made it home last night. He said his training went well. He was able to pick up supper for us on his way into town.
    Last night I had a very sharp pain in my knee that last for about 10 minutes. It just about took my breath away. I wasn’t doing anything. I wondered what it could be maybe a nerve? I hope it does not happen again. I was just relieved when the pain subsided.

18. forbesy

forbesy Sr Bonesmartie

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi Greda

You have been put through the mill lately and if your mans not about to help I'm sure he understands you will have to take it easy. If you are feeling lonely pop onto the site I'm sure someone will have a natter. Not good the sharp pain but good news it went and you are ok now. Take things slowly and keep safe.

19. Jockette

Isn’t it just amazing how everyone has a relative/friend/etc who recovered from knee replacement in a week. :doh: Don’t you just want to smack the people who tell us these stories???:banghead:

Your knee might have had that pain last night from doing those stairs yesterday.

I’m sorry you’ve been so sick with that sinus infection. It just adds insult to injury during recovery from a knee replacement. :console2:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  20. Greda

Greda graduate

I haven’t been on in a few weeks. I made through Thanksgiving but was exhausted after. I slept almost constantly for 2 days after. Then it was like I had turned a corner. I was able to walk as soon as I stood up even able to stand up from the couch without using my hands. My cough was finally gone. I was thinking finally this was worth doing. I had my OS appt (11/29) and I actually saw him and not the PA. He was very happy with my progress. He just eyed what I could and was pleased. He did a minimal exam that caused no pain. He notice a little swelling but said it would continue improving. The x-rays looked great. I went to the library and post office after the appt because we had a winter storm coming the next day that was going to last Fri-Sun. I woke up last Friday in a lot of pain. Thinking it could be the oncoming storm (we had rain, then freezing rain, the snow and wind) or maybe even the Dr appt I took it easy. From last Fri until now I have had a constant ache that just won’t stop. It is worse when I stand up and walk but hurts when I am doing nothing. I had been able to cut back on icing but am back to icing almost all the time. There are things I have to do but it is so hard. I am so disappointed to go backwards with pain at this point. I have even starting taking Norco at night so I can sleep. I am taking Tylenol and ibuprofen but not getting much relief. I am sure this is temporary but I thought it would be improving by now. It has been extremely cold here but I have not left the house since my Dr appointment 11/29. My knee does not want to do anything or the pain increases. At least my sinuses and cough are better. I keep trying to find something good but it is hard. I had basically a week of seeing how great this could be but it is so hard to step so far back. Thanks for listening. My husband is having pain in his hands for the first time since I have known him he is taking Tylenol for pain. He had broken his hand and wrist many years ago and has some arthritis. Maybe it is the weather...has anyone else had a lot of pain in cold weather?