TKR Grace's (CAdesgirl) recovery

Let's see a photo of your knee now. I can see that a couple of the staples were imbedded pretty well with skin growth, so it's not surprising they would weep a bit. It was great for you to post that photo so we could see how your staples looked, but now it's important to see what it looks like today.

Your wound is a perfect candidate for ACTIVE Scar Shield. This is a product we've tested here with some of our BoneSmart members and found it really helps with scar healing and protection from infection in the wound. Please check out the link to our product page and consider trying it. It is completely safe....an infection fighting hypochlorous solution that your body makes naturally to fight infection and promote healing.

I also suggest that you read our Wound Care section. There are several articles located under a tab at the top of the page. Here is a link to the first one to get you started. Understanding how the surgeon closes wounds, how healing takes place and what you can do to promote great healing will help you as you go through this part of your recovery journey.
 
Hi @Celle - Great minds... I just got off the phone with the doc's office. I'm just waiting for Mike to get home to drive me over there.
 
Hi @Jamie
Here's a fresh picture. She (the PT) used a lot of Steri-strips to try to get it to pull together. I'm fairly convinced that all of the leaking is around the muscle flap/skin graft. The OS did say that it bled pretty well after he released the tourniquet. He wanted that because his only concerns was damaging it. I'll feel better once I have him put eyes on it.

[Bonesmart.org] Grace's (CAdesgirl) recovery
 
I’m happy my OS used that glue/mesh system, no staples. That looks uncomfortable and I hope all goes well for you.
 
I'll keep my fingers crossed regarding the weeping. Hopefully just a local issue.
 
After seeing this photo, I think you are wise to make a trip to your surgeon's office. While I'm pretty sure there is nothing of real concern, it is much better for him to see the amount of drainage and bleeding you're having. Let us know how it goes!
 
The last of my bleeding was in the same spot. And it might be for the same reason as mine, that they cut away the old scar tissue and therefore closing the wound is a challenge. The bottom part of the incision gets the most pulling while bending. I too posted my incision after stitches removed.
 
I'm back from the O/S office. He left early because he had surgery Wednesday afternoon because he broke his foot (stress fracture) the evening before my surgery. I saw his PA instead. He cleaned up the area and you couldn't really see where it was bleeding from. There were just a couple of pinholes right around the skin graft. He put on a pressure bandage with an ace wrap and told me to keep it iced/elevated for a few days. He feels like it's going to heal just fine. It just needs a little longer because of the compromised blood flow due to the scar tissue (good guess @maryo52). He agreed that I should not be worrying about any exercises to bend the knee while I'm healing and walking, to be kept to a minimum, is fine.

I feel better now that I went. Mike went with me and he feels much better. He was really affected by the MRSA infection and surgeries that followed. Seeing that there was no sign of any infection made him breathe easier.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
This shows the one of the little spots that is bleeding. It's right above the skingraft and where I had one of the MRSA abscesses. I'm not worried that is an issue because I had two nuclear tests done prior to the replacement that showed that there was no MRSA in the area before we even moved forward with approving it. The other spot is halfway down the skin graft but just as small.

[Bonesmart.org] Grace's (CAdesgirl) recovery
 
Great news! Now I see why there would be a problem. You poor girl. We all need to send that knee loving kisses!!!

My first TKR recovery was an utter nightmare, very hard on my husband. So I understand Mike's trepidation.
 
Last edited:
Yep, I'm a happy camper tonight except my ice machine broke. I ordered a new one but they didn't have one that was prime so I won't get it until last next week. In the meantime, I have my trusty ice packs but they won't hold coldness for 4-6 hours at night. Aw, well, if that's the worst thing that happens today, I'll live.

Mike nursed me through the MRSA. At one point, they thought I'd lose the leg so it was really bad. Fevers over 103 and I was so sick I really thought I was going to die. He was such a rock through the whole thing that I didn't realize how traumatic it was on him. He just kept doing what he needed to do whether it was changing my dressings or my iv antibiotics. The look on his face when the PA said it all looks good (and it really does) was pure relief. He just looked at me with tears in his eyes.

We're going to get through this and next year we'll be around to help all of those that come after us. :-)
 
Wow. What a trial you guys have been through.

The ice machine has been a huge asset for me. It's like in my top three possessions: wedding ring, car, ice machine.
 
We have been through more than most couples get to go through. We're lucky that it has made us stronger. He's my best friend.

I miss my ice machine but am surviving with fresh ice every few hours. We got these ice strips called cryopak. They wrap up in a hand towel and go all the way around my knee.

I convinced him to take me out for breakfast this morning and it was LOVELY. We got a booth and I was able to sit sideways with my ice pack on my leg. We were gone from the house for just under an hour. It filled my need to escape and now I'm back elevating and icing. Bonus - they had cinnamon roll pancakes (new to the menu).

Right now, I'm feeling like life is pretty darn good. That could be the sugar high.
 
He cleaned up the area and you couldn't really see where it was bleeding from. He feels like it's going to heal just fine
I've only just got to this but seeing the images, have to say I agreed 100% with what everyone has said.

The first image shows that blood had spattered all over the knee from the dressings and dried which is what it made look so awful. But I could see it was really clean and that it would clean up okay. Something these things look more dramatic than they are, like nose bleeds! Given you have a lot of soft and thin skin scarring, it's pretty much inevitable that it would acquire pin holes which would ooze. I think now it will heal very well.
 
Thank you @Josephine! I appreciate you chiming in. :wave: I just took a quick peek and it's really bled very minimally since yesterday afternoon. There was no fresh blood as a result of my adventures today which I was pleasantly surprised about but I'll take it. :yay:
 
I'm glad you enjoyed your breakfast out. That's just what your spirits needed. :flwrysmile:
 
Isn't it wonderful to get out for a bit and just do something normal. I went to the pharmacy this morning and got my own meds instead of sending my fiance. I've so started taking my dog on short little walks once a day which isn't the easiest thing because I live on the 3rd floor so lots of steps but I'm enjoying the challenge. So glad you are feeling better!!
 
Oh, Donna. I almost cried when we got seated I was so happy. It was the normal that I needed. I wondered if I'd be up for it this early but challenge accepted and conquered. I'm not going to be taking my pups for a walk any time soon. They are 45 lbs and 80 lbs.

Wow, 3rd floor! That's impressive!
 
I walked my dog Sammy today for about 20 minutes wearing my new ice grippers. Sammy is older and I'm not sure how much quality time I have with him. Every day counts.
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom