TKR Grace's (CAdesgirl) recovery

Another month has gone by... Boy, that was quick. No change in my ROM which is frustrating. Last week it was measured at 102 and +8 (which is worse than the month before on the extension). I don't care as much about the flexion but I'd like to be able to straighten my leg. I go back to the OS in two weeks.

The pain in the IT band at night is better but every evening I'm icing it for an hour or so right before bed.
 
My extension was slow coming in, too. But, it did finally improve after 6 months or so. Have you tried to extend your stride further while walking heal to toe? That seemed to help me more than anything else I did.
 
Hi, all! Sorry for the silent treatment. Life has been busy. I'm almost to 8 months post-op which is hard to believe but it's true. The knee is doing well. I still don't have great extension +8 or so and my flexion is still about 108. I'm happy with what I do have because the only pain I have is from the muscle-flap which is nerve pain. I'm going up and down stairs which was my only concern with not having good ROM. I'm not a sporty type so being able to go properly up and down stairs was my major concern. A year ago, I couldn't do stairs at all and I could do them this time. I'm easily walking 2-3 miles a day at work (according to my handy Fitbit) and haven't iced in months.

There is life after Knee Replacement!
 
What a good report. You are proof that numbers don't matters, it's what you can do! My goals were to be able to ride my bike and hike again, and I can! I don't know what my numbers are, nor do I care. What matters to me is being able to do the things I need and want to do. It sounds like you are the same and are happy with your recovery. I bet as time goes on you'll find that you can do even more things!
 
@sistersinhim I'm glad that I had a doctor that set reasonable expectations based on my prior surgeries. I forgot to mention that we traveled to Denver 2 weeks ago for 4 days. The knee didn't love the uneven sidewalks but I was able to do everything I wanted to do including walk around Idaho Springs for 4 hours. I feel like the knee is in the best shape it's been in for a decade. Now, if I could only say the same about the rest of me. :rofsign:

Hopefully, if anyone reads my story, it provides them some hope during recovery or the courage to go through with the surgery if they are scared. I'm really grateful to this group for their stories and support during my recovery.
 
Well, I'm back again. I started having problems again after my last post which left me quite discouraged. We've been trying everything from more PT to Pain Management. My OS referred me to another OS who is going to do blood tests to rule out infection first. He thinks it might be that the replacement is too big so it's impinging on the IT band and a nerve.
 
I was referred to a recommended surgeon from this group (Dr. Sinha).
 
I’m sorry to see that after a previous good report, that it didn’t last. I hope Dr. Sinha can help. I only know him from the JRAD online conferences that we’ve had. He gave good information on those videos.
 
I was in denial that the implant could be the issue. I really had myself convinced that it was a problem due to the other surgeries that I've had. I recognized his name from one of the online conferences that I attended. At this point, I'm just hoping that there's some relief in the future. I've put on 20 lbs due to my limitations and my left knee is unhappy with being the only knee doing any work.
 
Another update, Dr. Sinha is retiring/retired. When I went to see him in April he said I would need a revision for at least the bottom portion and possibly the top (because it's an Exactech implant)

I was referred to yet another surgeon. Unfortunately, I got sent to a surgeon that is taking over the practice that the doctor who did the original replacement owns. I had my appointment today. He said he doesn't think the replacement is too big and is sending me for a CT scan. I told him that Dr. Sinha estimated that the overhang was 3-5 mm and he said that isn't that bad. Google says different so I have to jump through the hoops. I'm so sad right now. He did say that he was uncomfortable doing the replacement because of the scar from the skin graft. I think that's why he doesn't want to do it (not because it doesn't need to be done).

I went to my PCP a few weeks ago and told him that I didn't love the fact that I was seeing a surgeon that was associated with the surgeon that did the first replacement. He said that if he doesn't think I need a replacement, he'll refer me to yet another surgeon (#4).
 
@CAdesgirl
Sorry you are having so many problems and are having a to search for a surgeon.
If your knee is bothering you, I would not rule out the 3-5 mm overhang. Keep searching until you can find a surgeon that can help you.
Good luck in your search,
 
The CT scan came back showing the overhang. He also ordered a 3 phase scan which didn't show any signs of infection. He drew some fluid to send out for a 14 day culture. I go back on 8/19. Hopefully, I get some answers as to whether he's going to do the revision surgery.

I really think the overhang is damaging the nerve on the side of my leg. The top of my foot is either numb or on fire a lot recently. I'm trying to bend the leg as little as possible because, if I walk stiff-legged, it seems to bother me less.
 
I pray you quickly find a resolution to this awful knee problem of yours. :prayer:
 
So the OS finally agreed that I need to have a revision done after the fluid showed no sign of infection. He gave me paperwork for my PCP to fill out. I had an appointment last Thursday afternoon for that appt (after getting blood work and a chest xray done). Imagine my surprise when I got a call Thursday morning saying that the OS had referred me for a nerve conduction study before he would schedule the revision. Now, I do have nerve issues dating back from the muscle flap surgery and they have definitely gotten worse since the TKR. The OS had mentioned that the implant might be impinging on the nerve but never said that he wasn't going to do the surgery until the study was done. I can't get the nerve study until December 1st.. Oh, and he said he won't do the surgery unless the insurance company approves a plastic surgeon in the room to deal with the skin graft (original TKR was done without one).

The OS also has a strict no opiods before surgery policy so, despite the fact that I'm at a pain scale of 7-8 every night, he basically said to deal with it. I have been icing and elevating as much as possible but don't feel like it does much good except to make everything numb. LOL!

My PCP wasn't any happier with the hoops I've been made to jump through than I am. He really wasn't happy with my blood pressure since it's usually on the lower end and it was 170/85 at 4:00 p.m. He gave me pain meds and is pulling me from this OS (which he's had to do with a few other patients according to his nurse).

So, I'm waiting for the referral for the new OS. He said he'd put a rush on it so I should be getting a call within a week. I'm really lucky because I have the support of my husband, Mother-in-law (retired RN) and work family. I can't imagine going through this alone. I know there are a lot of great surgeons out there because I've had some. The bad ones.... well, they should all have to have these surgeries to straighten out their heads.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom