TKR gr82cu2 Hello new knee, it's great to see you!

@gr82cu2 Good Morning Janet, so you overdid it again! Elevate and ice. Maybe you did have a death grip on the handle bars! Cut what you did in half and start from there, you have to gradually build up how much you do. Have a great day.
 
@gr82cu2 , Janet, that's great not having any side effects from the Humira. My son has had asthma for years so compromising his immune system is a big worry for him.
I can't imagine not having meds after only one month. That's just crazy. Camping?? You must have gotten me mixed with someone else. I did go to the beach a few weeks ago but I haven't gone anywhere else. I am going on a golf trip with my hubby, Joe, the week of my surgery. I don't know if that was a good idea, but at least I will be busy and it will get things off my mind.
Well, I'm getting ready to golf in the holiday golf tournament at the club, so I better get moving. Have a nice day.
Anne:flwrysmile:
 
@gr82cu2
Hi Janet,

Sorry that you are sore today, maybe 5 rotations would have been your limit. I know that it is hard sometimes to limit what we do, when we haven't been able to do it for awhile.
I had bought cycling gloves to use on my hands to prevent calluses when walking with my 2 & now 1 cane. Maybe you should consider getting them for use on the bike.

Maybe less rotations or lower the notches next time.

Take care,
Cathie :flwrysmile:
 
@Yorkimom
Hi Anne,
With some OS and GP/PCPs in Ireland getting renewal of any medication contains codeine or morphine can be near to impossible. And yet, I meet a woman at my Group Circuit Post-TKR class last week whose OS had prescribed a morphine patch and another women in class in on OxyNorm at week 9 post-op.

I am hoping that the Tylex prescription that I got on Friday from my GP for 7 days (2 tablets every 8 hours) can be renewed if I feel that I still need it.

All OS should experience a TKR, so that they really know the pain that we do experience.

Hoping that your experience with pain medication for your upcoming LTKR is appropriate for your pain.

Take care,
Cathie :flwrysmile:
 
@gr82cu2 :wow: I take humira shots too, I have to take mine weekly and my ra doctor made me stop 2 weeks before and 2 weeks after I am still trying to get my RA in control again
Also I saw the Grand Canyon My son was station in Guam and met him in California and went to life long dream to go to Disney Land. Spent two weeks touring with my son. When my outer died lost all my pictures Anyway its is a amazing site to see went to Hoover Damn too
 
@madinana "outer died"? If that is computer they may not be lost, we had one die and my son is getting some of mine off the drive.

Another great thing to see is the giant redwoods in California, they are amazing!
 
@marmora It's the joints in my hands hurting not the skin or anything. They are better this evening and not as stiff but man, my thumbs are really acting up. Stupid arthritis! I was on the bike for probably 15 minutes in all. I started with the seat way up high and after a few minutes lowered it a notch, another few minutes and another notch and then again to the 3rd notch. At the time it was uncomfortable but not particularly painful. My knee is definitely more swollen today and feels hot so I have been taking it really easy (what's new with that? Nothing!) and didn't do any exercises today to give it a rest. Lots of ice and elevating too.

@madinana they wanted me to stop the Humira for a month before and a month after just to be safe. I inject every other week. Honestly, I'm not sure it does all that much to help my arthritis but it sure does make my psoriasis better :) I have pustular psoriasis on the soles of my feet and the palms of my hands. I get like blisters that form and then the skin dies and peels off. Sometimes 50% or more of the skin on the bottoms of my feet is peeling off and it can get very painful. Especially if it gets very dry and cracks. Generally I sleep with my feet slathered in Aquaphor ointment and wrapped in saran wrap with socks on. It keeps my feet moisturized deeply so the skin doesn't crack. I keep hoping that one day it will stop happening but so far, after 20 years, it hasn't. Anyway, the Humira has improved my feet some but has completely cleared my hands up. I especially hated when my hands were bad because people would see and it was embarrassing to me. At least I can keep my feet covered with socks or shoes. Do you have the copay assistance with Abvie for you Humira? I end up paying only $5 every 3 months after insurance and their assistance. It's a great deal! There are no income limits or requirements. You just have to have insurance and call and ask. Easy peasy!
 
@gr82cu2 Yep I have the copay assistance too I pay $5 for month supply (4 shots) Hm what is the Aquaphor as I have just one foot that is always dry and crack I just got sock doctor recommended they are like moisturized Is that lotion prescribed or over the counter. I am glad Humira helps you I can't read phamplet on it as don't want to hear all the bad things that could happen It keeps my RA in check. Is it funny one doctor a month and mine two weeks kinds scary
 
@madinana Aquaphor is over the counter. It's kind of like petroleum jelly (Vaseline) but with some added ingredients to help with healing. Usually it will be near the lotions and stuff but they have a bigger tube with the baby lotions, diaper rash ointment and those kinds of things. I do have a pair of socks I got at Bed, Bath and Beyond that I wear sometimes. They have like a gel lining that is supposedly infused with some stuff like vitamin E, tea tree oil, etc. They have to be hand washed though. They are nice and help with my feet but I had to cut the toes off of them because they didn't stretch enough to fit my big feet, size 10's. When I wear them I still use the Aquaphor. You should give it a try. It really makes an amazing difference if your feet are dry and cracked. Put it on pretty heavy and then wrap your foot in saran wrap and then a sock over to keep the wrap on overnight.
 
@gr82cu2 - I don't know much about PA but I have RA and my hands and feet stay very dry. I am going to try using the aquaphor. I never thought about using saran wrap with it.

@madinana - my computer died a few months ago. I took it to computer repair store. For $50 plus flash drives they were able to retrieve all photos and documents. I am currently reading you recovery journey so you may see me post there as well. I appreciate everyone sharing their journey for pre-op members like myself.
 
@gr82cu2 , hi Janet! We had a great time golfing in he tournament. It was very hot and humid and threatening to storm. We were more than half way through when it started raining. Luckily it stopped, but not before we were drenched. When we were on the last hole it started again and then they blew the dog horn for us to come in because do the thunder and lightening. Were lucky in that we got to finish the hole, but there many who didn't finish. Once in the club house, the skies opened up and it was pouring. We came home right away as we invited the couple we golfed with for dinner. They just left.....it made for a long day, but was loads of fun.
What is the copy assistance you were talking about. Price is another reason Marc, our son, doesn't try Humira.
@marmora I agree the OS should have a TKR so they can be more sympathetic. I just hope my OS hasn't changed anything since the last time. He is very compassionate and kept my pain in check.
Hope everyone has a good night. Anne
 
@gr82cu2
Good Morning Janet,

Can now understand the hand pain form from your joints when using your stationary bike on Friday.

Good to have a rest day with plenty of ice and elevation to help the knee to settle and also rest your hands.
Would you be able to cycle without having your hands on the handlebars, or do you need to hold on for support ?
I have the floor model pedal bike, so I sit on a kitchen chair and bring the unit closer Nd closer to the chair, as I continue my 15 minute cycle.

Really didn't know about pustular psoriasis, but from reading your posts to/from Laurie @madinana, I now have a much better understanding. It is a real concern for both you and Laurie along with the TKRs.

Rest and relax on your Labor Day - it's just an ordinary Monday here.
Well not really ordinary, it is a lovely Irish sunny morning and that can be extraordinary !:spin:

Cathie
 
It is on the leg that is in for a surprise in October
:rofsign: Poor leg! It has no idea what's coming.

@Minnie's knees It might be kinda hard to wrap your hands in saran wrap. You might try those white cotton gloves you can buy and try those. I used to do that once in awhile. It would also keep the aquaphor off your bedding when you sleep.

@Yorkimom Your son can call and find out what his benefit would be. My Dr. wanted to put me on Raptiva and when I checked and saw my cost would be $600 a month I was like, no way! So, I did some research and found the folks at Abvie have a great assistance program. I called them and they had some way of checking my Rx insurance and came back and told me my cost, with their assistance would be $5 for a 90 day supply. There are yearly limits as to what they pay so it would depend on how much your son's insurance covers. Mine covers all but $244 every 3 months and Abvie picks up the rest except the $5 which I pay. We're talking a medication that is more than $1,500 per injection! Here's a link to the program and the number your son could call. broken link removed: https://www.humira.com/global/savings-and-co-pay They were very, very nice when I called. Enbrel may have a similar program, I'm not sure. My doctor said all the biologics work pretty much the same so wasn't bothered about Rxing the Humira over Raptiva. The biggest risk with them is they lower your immunity. I have not felt compromised at all to be honest but then I live a pretty secluded life, LOL, and am not around a lot of people who could spread sickness to me.

@marmora I woke up again with really painful hands. It could be our weather which has been overcast and unsettled for several days. Or it could be a flare of my arthritis which tends to affect my hands and knees the most. Who knows? It will pass eventually, I'm sure.
 
@gr82cu2 Good Morning Janet It defiantely affects my immune system as if I get around someone that has a cold it goes in to bronchitis and eventually pneomina (sp) So I have to be careful. I don't do a lot anyway its doctors appointments, grocery shopping or picking up meds :snork:
 
@gr82cu2 thanks for the info. I'll pass it into Marc, although I think he is going to hold off as long as possible. @madinana my son has asthma and like you he's very susceptible to bronchitis. That's why he so hesitant in taking something that would compromise his immunize system. He just started his own law practice (passed the DE bar last year, which is one of the hardest in the country and hasn't been able to find a job so this was his only alternative for now). So he see clients, goes to court, etc., so he is always around people.
I hope you get some relief for your hands Janet. I have arthritis in my right thumb and it is always swollen. I know how it bothers me when it flails up let alone having both my hands hurt like you.
 
Back
Top Bottom