TKR gr82cu2 Hello new knee, it's great to see you!

@tiredwife @marmora @madinana @skigirl
Wow, you all lit up my thread in the past couple of hours. Thank you! I feel the love :loveshwr:

It's just ridiculous that some of us have doctors that just don't get the pain.....at all! For goodness sakes they should know what they do to us. How quick is that supposed to not hurt? When I saw my PT today she asked how I was doing like she always does. I told her I'm mostly good but when I'm up, after a few minutes, I get that tightness and deep bone ache still. She said, "I hate to tell you but that bone ache is going to hang around awhile." Now, if she knows that why doesn't my OS? Oh well, it will all be over one day I suppose. I now have the 5/325 hydrocodone x 69, about 70 Tramadol and 2 more refills of 50 Tramadol. Plus he refilled my Celebrex with 5 more refills to get me through the 2nd TKR I assume. The nice thing about the Celebrex is you can take it right up to surgery so I won't have to go off it like I did my Aleve and have my psoriatic arthritis flare up on me again.

Dinner tonight was just pizza from the store. Have you all ever had the pizza from the deli at Walmart? It's like take and bake and is really pretty darn good and cheap too! We usually keep one or two in the freezer for nights when we're feeling lazy about cooking.

I've been watching a Diners, Drive-ins and Dives marathon on Food Network. Gosh I wish some of those places were in our town. The food looks fantastic!

Have a great evening everyone! Sweet dreams @marmora
 
@gr82cu2
Guy Fieri and Diners,Dive-ins & Dives is one show that I enjoy !
The places he visits seems so cool! If I ever take a USA road trip, will have to find some of them .

Love US style pizza - especially Chicago style !
I'm originally from Chicago and my sister & brother and their families still live in the Chicago area.
So, always visit Gino's East when I visit them.

Really getting down about my lack of increased Flexion at 6 weeks.
It's at 95 and hanging in there & I know that someone will be along to tell me not to worry, that to give it time and that it will come.

But, do think that on this site, we can share our true feelings without judgement.
Appreciate all advice and encouragement I get from this site and would be lost without BoneSmart.

Just want to be able to share how I feel about my Flexion today !
I know that I will feel different tomorrow and as my Flexion improves.

Cathie
 
:iagree:@marmora it just take time I try to remember our knees did not get like this overnight so we have to be patient as our knees won't heal over night. But that is easier said than done it is definitely a journey, but I think its worth taking, but we will see if I say that when I get second knee done:fingersx:
 
@madinana
Hi Laurie,

Thank you for your kind wor of encouragements.
After my morning at home exercise programmes, went for walk to the Village and meet a friend along the way and we went to one of the local cafés for a coffee and a chat.

Home now, icing knee & legs elevated and watching a bit of telly - Escape to the Country & reading the Saturday paper.

One day, one hour, one minute at a time in the TKR recovery.

Have a good day,
Cathie :flwrysmile:
 
Good morning @tiredwife @marmora @madinana I hope you all had a good night's sleep. I did with the exception of 2 bladder calls, LOL.

Cathie, I had no idea you are American. How long have you lived in Ireland? I understand your frustration with your flexion. You're more than welcome to vent or talk about it here, anytime! Have you considered laying off your walks for a few days to see what happens? You've been walking a lot since early on and maybe that has prevented some healing? Just a thought. I bent to 110 yesterday but the truth is it is comfortable only up to about 90 or 95. We all wish we could hop up off the operating table and bend our knees to 145 and go on with life. This recovery is definitely a challenge, that's for sure.

Jackie, my pain is pretty well controlled when I'm resting (which is most of the time!) It's just when I try to get up and do things around here that it is a problem. Sooner or later I'm just going to have to move on and deal with it. I'm soooooooooo bored!!!!!!! And starting to feel a little worthless with no real purpose to life now other than getting this knee healed. Knowing the other one is coming up in about 2 months is a bit daunting but I keep reminding myself of how much compromise I've already had to make in my life and activities because of these knees and I need to get through this somehow to have a chance at the life I used to have and want again.
 
@gr82cu2 Remember to focus on all the small "wins" you have each day. I know I need to practice what I preach, because it's so hard to get caught up in feeling like I've accomplished nothing in my day. BUT, if we look hard, we have come SO far, even this week alone.
 
@gr82cu2 How high does your pain spike when you get up? Does it level off or go down once you get moving? How about getting one of those little pedal things that sit on the floor in front of your chair and pedaling just a little before you get up to loosen up before you stand. Maybe a knee brace of some kind would help. Hubby gets pain when he stands up after he has been sitting or laying for awhile. He says his pain spikes and then levels off, walking seems to help in the long run (each day he tries to walk a little more) It hurts some while he is doing it, but he is able to do it a little more the next day. He stops before the pain gets to a 5 pain level.

@marmora Okay, I won't tell you that it takes time (even though it does), I will tell you what hubby does to increase flex. First and foremost he elevates to get rid of the swelling. Second he does little mini lunges with his foot up 2 steps, hangs on the railing and leans up into the knee bending it. He just does it to discomfort not pain. 3rd he walks up and down our stairs a lot, a whole lot, that works the thigh muscles. With his first knee he got stalled out a bunch, then he would do little leaps forward.
 
@gr82cu2 Janet
@tiredwife Jackie
@madinana Laurie
@ljrfrm

Jackie, I was born in a Chicago.
Both my parents were born in Ireland & their plan was to return to live in Ireland.

After college, I went to live in Sydney,Australia for a little over one year.
Moved back to Chicago for about a year and then moved to Ireland in 1977.

My Mum did live with us for awhile in Dublin, after my Dad passed away.

Married an Irish man in 1980 and have 3 sons (27,31,33 ).
My sister & brother and a few cousins live in the Chicago land area.
But, my mum was the only one of her family and my Dad the only one of his family to move to the States, so all my grandparents, aunts, uncles & cousins are in a Ireland.

Walking post TKR & THR are part of the Irish recovery programme.
Start with 3-5 minute walks three times per day and increase, so that you are walking 30 minutes three times each day by week six. The past few days, I've reduced that to two 30 minute walks each day.

Janet, knowing that you have your second TKR in a November, must make the recovery from your July LTKR hard. And the energy drain is very hard to cope with. The "knee " seems to become the focus of our lives at the moment !

Keep looking forward to this time next year, the summer of 2015 and how much better we will all be !

Hello @ljrfrm
Nice to meet you, admire all those who had BTKRs . You are in the early days of recovery and I wish you the best

Cathie
 
@ljrfrm I know and you are right! That's the only thing that keeps me hopeful for even more progress. I try to be thankful for what I do have with this recovery. So many here have had some really serious problems and complications. My recovery in contrast is a breeze. You are amazing doing both at the same time.

@tiredwife The pain and discomfort isn't immediate upon standing. It's more like it builds up as I'm up on my leg. The longer I'm up the more uncomfortable it is. It's nothing like the pain I had right after surgery though. That deep, burning pain is gone, gone, gone. I don't need a brace. My knee feels very stable. I think it's just the bones still healing and that is the source of the aching. The tendons on either side of my knee are still very tender and down my shin bone too. My swelling isn't bad at all now but when I'm up for very long it's like I can feel that pressure building in my leg even though I can't see it, if that makes sense at all. I need to try my exercise bike again. I tried a week ago and couldn't get a full revolution. I can't raise the seat anymore because I wouldn't be able to reach the pedals at all. Wish I had one of those recumbent bikes here.
 
@gr82cu2 I thought I felt pretty good so just tried to actually cook myself some breakfast as opposed to grabbing something quick. As I was standing there (cooking pancakes) the ache started and kept getting worse. Like you say, it's not a sharp, post surgical pain, but just a deep ache that makes it hard to do anything.

I think it's just as amazing those that do one knee at a time, but back to back. I guess all in all, we're all pretty amazing :)
 
@gr82cu2 Your problems puzzle me, maybe you should tag in Josephine or the OS that is on the forum. Most people have the pain after first standing up, although it is fairly common to have more swelling the longer you are on the knee to some extent. I thought the brace more for its ability to take some of the pressure off your knee. Wonder if Ted hose would help, they would help with the swelling!
 
@tiredwife I really think it's just all part of the process. I don't feel as if anything is wrong at all. It's just as @ljrfrm described above.

Ok! I have an announcement of achievement!!!! I did my usual exercises with my NMES unit, did some lunges and stretches and then decided to go try the bike again. Not only was I able to make full revolutions but I was able to lower the seat THREE notches!!! Once I worked my way down to the third one it was slower going but I was able to do it. I hiked my pant leg up to see the bend and it looked to me to be way past 110 degrees. I wish I would have had Kent take a picture. Now I'm stoked, LOL!! And feeling better about things. :)
 
@gr82cu2 That is a great achievement!
[Bonesmart.org] gr82cu2 Hello new knee, it's great to see you!
 
Back
Top Bottom