TKR gr82cu2 Hello new knee, it's great to see you!

@gr82cu2 Good Morning! Hubby really expected to be really sore today after 2 days of PT in a row, but she worked on exercises to help relieve some of the stiffness he gets in the morning and I think it helped. He was near as hurting as he thought he would be. Because he is on ladders when he works, later she will incorporate ladders into his workout. She is very good, but he won't always have her.
 
@tiredwife Good afternoon! I was sore last night and for awhile this morning but it seems ok now. I'm positive some muscles got a workout yesterday that aren't used to it. Probably a good thing, all in all. Hope your day is going well.
 
@gr82cu2 Janet, that is why hubby hurts after PT, muscles getting a workout that haven't been doing much for 4 weeks. He works out both legs, and the same muscles hurt in both legs. We got his Norco today (he had to take a couple of Percocet but he did okay) also bought him some new shoes. He will probably need some new steel toe shoes for work too but we will get them later. It is the old shoes worn to the old way of walking so now they hurt the feet thing. He had some he hadn't worn too long before the first knee so he just used them until now. He says his new shoes are really comfortable.
 
Hi Janet! Glad to hear about the strength training. That's what my focus is but they are mostly doing it with ankle weights. I was up to ten lb weights today. And they have me push against resistance bands or a stability ball. And of curse stepping up on boxes and walking the stairs. I feel that I need to try walking more. I can only walk a very few minutes before the pain sets in. They worked me hard today and I have to go back in the morning. We'll see how two days in a row will go!
 
@ConnieJOS I don't know what all the machines are called. I do know the leg press. The other one was where I sat down and draped my legs over a padded bar under my knees and pulled the bar back under me. It was weighted, I don't know how much. I did those two and as if my legs weren't weary enough she had me stand on a step with my left leg and lift myself up and down using that leg only. Then, up and down stairs, leg lifts and I forget what else. I'm kinda dreading a repeat tomorrow but I know that's what is going to happen. I better get my big girl panties on and suck it up, LOL!!
 
Oh, and on the way out of there as I was thinking of how tired my leg was when she had me lift myself up over and over with my op leg on that stair it occurred to me that a 125# person doing that and me doing that (not disclosing weight, LOL) are two entirely different things. She had me do 2 sets of 15!!! I wanted to smack her :)
 
Wow! Sounds like you are doing a lot! They have machines where I go, but for some reason the only one they have put me on is the recumbent bike for 10 minutes. I'd like to do some of the weight machines. I go back tomorrow then three times next week and I think that's it unless they request insurance approval for more. I totally understand what you mean about stepping up being harder for us who are heavier. I mean all your body weight is being lifted by your one operated leg! It has to be easier for the skinnier folks. I've gained about 30 lbs in the last year or so and I know it's because two bad knees and two bad hips had me moving very slowly, then I've been recovering from three joint replacements! I hope to keep exercising after my next (and last) surgery and get my weight down. I know that will make my brand new joints much happier. We will have to compare notes tomorrow and see how two days of PT in a row works for us. I hope yours goes well!
 
@tiredwife I really think it's just all part of the process. I don't feel as if anything is wrong at all. It's just as @ljrfrm described above.

Ok! I have an announcement of achievement!!!! I did my usual exercises with my NMES unit, did some lunges and stretches and then decided to go try the bike again. Not only was I able to make full revolutions but I was able to lower the seat THREE notches!!! Once I worked my way down to the third one it was slower going but I was able to do it. I hiked my pant leg up to see the bend and it looked to me to be way past 110 degrees. I wish I would have had Kent take a picture. Now I'm stoked, LOL!! And feeling better about things. :)

ENVIOUS!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Terrific account for those of us still in the prep stages - I am waiting for early next year for many good reasons that are hard to recall when it keeps me up all night in pain. Oh well, decision is made but the waiting is hard. I'm very glad to see recoveries like yours – very hopeful!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@gr82cu2 Good Morning Janet! Hubby's 2 PT in a row (Tues and Wed) made for a very long night last night, his thigh muscle was aching all night. He has PT again today. I will make sure they are gentle on him today.
 
Reebok, how are you getting along these days? Don't be envious. I paid for that little stunt for about 3 days, LOL.

I'm very glad to see recoveries like yours – very hopeful!
The waiting is really the hardest part. Your mind puts you in all kinds of recovery situations and drives you crazy. For me, this hasn't been as bad as I imagined it would be. I'm to the point now though where I just want it to be done and over. I want the stiffness to go away most of all. You'll have a lot of support here so reach out whenever you need a shoulder to lean on.
 
@tiredwife I have my favorite PT Michelle back today. I don't know if everything the other one had me do on Wednesday was Michelle's plan for me or her own. It just seemed like so much in comparison to what I had been doing. Like a HUGE leap forward all of a sudden. I survived it though so I'm sure I'm in for more and honestly I do feel like I need to be pushed a little harder now.
 
@gr82cu2 Let your PT know about your hand pain, maybe she can suggest something! I don't think therapist write out a schedule of exercise because it really depends on how you are doing that day, some days you feel better and can do more. Pushing to hard might cause set backs, be careful.
 
PT went well today and I was back with my favorite, Michelle! I bent to 115 on my own, 117 with a little push from her. My follow up appointment with my OS got changed today to the 15th from the 11th. Michelle said we'll see what the doctor said but she thinks I'll be ready to be discharged after the 16th when I see her. Somehow I can't wrap my head around that. It's really only been this week that they have had me do things in there that I can't do at home for myself. I guess she thinks I'll make another 10 degrees in the next couple of weeks.. She thinks and says I'm doing really well. Funny, I don't see it that way. But then, maybe I'm to the point where I just need more time and patience to get past the stiffness. I wonder what that will be like????
 
Terrific update! For me the tightness/stiffness just disappeared. No special reason that I could think of but I remember one day while walking that the stiffness was not there. I thought it would come back but it didn't. If I remember right I was about four months out.

Enjoy your weekend!
 
@Jozilla That is what happened to my hubby with knee number 1, the tightness just disappeared out of the blue!
 
Uh, I'm breaking out in hives and they are spreading! It started on the upper inner part of my left arm then started moving down that arm, then the upper inner part of my right arm and down that one. Now they are on my inner thighs and stomach too! I took 2 benadryl about an hour ago but they are still spreading. I can't imagine what did this. I haven't taken any meds I haven't been taking or eaten anything different. I have on the same pj's I've worn the last 2 nights. Nothing new or different. No new lotions or soaps or anything. I did take a tramadol at 7 and then started noticing this about 90 minutes later. Would it be possible to suddenly turn allergic to it after being on it for over 5 weeks with no problem?
 
@gr82cu2 Hi Janet! I just caught up reading your thread and you are doing fantastic.....until I read about the hives. I wish I could give you an answer as to what the culprit is. Since it's the weekend, I would call the pharmacy tomorrow and talk to the pharmacist. Maybe he can tell you if it might be the tramadol. I hope they go away quickly. Anne
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom