Bilateral TKR Got out of surgery at about 5pm 6/4/2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
DAY 59' AUGUST 1, 2013

Marking close to my 8 week since surgery date( June 4). I feel I have come so far in two months! I remember my first day home coming up those two flights of stairs...thinking what have I got myself into....and today, walking up and down those stairs easy, walking with no pain, I have a part of my life back that I lost for over ten years. Amazing!

I have set up all my exercise equipment down stairs and do like a circuit training. I love being back on my elliptical bike! Had to give up all my exercise as my knees got progressively worse. Now I can work on getting my muscle strength back as well as my cardio.

Off of all pain meds now. Just some Tylenol and natural anti inflamatories. Sleep still not great...hoping that will get better In time. I have been awake since 2AM...

Still have the stiffness in the knees, not painful, just feels weird.

Thanks for listening! Each day is such a blessing now that I am walking towards a pain free future :flwrysmile:
 
Good morning gazelle,
I am sssssssoooooooooo happy for you :happydance: it truly does get better.
Could you possibly try Tylenol p.m ? That's what I take at night & it works for me.
Continued success in your recovery,
Talk soon,
Diana :flwrysmile:
 
Gazelle
Yay! Your tone is very positive. It's funny how suddenly one week everything's a little better, including the energy level. I hit 4 months tomorrow and am very much waiting for 6 months, the next "magic 6" landmark.

So, how did your hair come out?
 
Gazelle
Yay! Your tone is very positive. It's funny how suddenly one week everything's a little better, including the energy level. I hit 4 months tomorrow and am very much waiting for 6 months, the next "magic 6" landmark.

So, how did your hair come out?

Miss j I think I will like my hair as I get use to styling it. I have NOT easy hair...dry, straighten and then use hot curlers. Three steps!!! It looks good once I do the steps....but just to wash and go type of hair...not me! Oh, and of course the final 4th step of hair spray! LOL!
 
I feel your pain! I just got my hair cut very short back/sides, longer on top - not only do I still have to dry/straighten, I now use 2 hair products I didn't use before to make it look artistically messy. Haha! However, I can now wash & wear if I don't mind looking like I had a grandma perm (no offense to any actual grandmothers).
 
August 3rd, Saturday Day 61

Good Morning Bone Smart Friends. Sleep OK last night... woke up at 3:45AM instead of 2AM... maybe progress? Have a lot of achy stuff going on in my knees today...:groan: maybe the weather as showers have moved in and the sun has gone away for a day. My right knee is stiff, uncomfortable to bend when I walk. I was doing so good on Thursday last.... really felt great... Had PT on Thursday afternoon... and went down hill after that. Hope it is only temporary or just the weather and not the outcome of my session of PT.:what:

I received all my medical records and xrays yesterday. I requested the information which anyone can do if you just ask and fill out the paperwork. It was interesting to read the Dr's write up on my condition. Some of it seemed to be first person.. but.... a lot of it was standard writing- or something i think that they print on everyone's write up most likely. Some of the information was wrong... The Dr. that gave me my physical prior to surgery said " patient is overweight" where I am by any means I am underweight! My doctor even commented on how slender I was and how it makes surgery easier in all. They also wrote up that they had discussed this and that with me... when none of it was true. I think they just put it in there in case you sue them so it is shown that you were warned of any problems that could arise. Oh well, no problem. It is interesting though to see what they write up about you that you do not see. Nothing of any importance was incorrect on my info so all is good.

Today I plan to do a gentle workout on my exercise bikes and pilates reformer. I find the pilates reformer is very good for working the back tendons behind my knee which are tight. I also enjoy my eliptical bike. It is so smooth and does not overwork the knees. It is good for my cardio, without added knee stress. My Dr. said at my post Op vist that I could do anything I wanted including my stepper. I was concerned the stepper would over work the knee but he said no - that is is not pounding and should be just fine. Hopefully I can start to rebuild my weak leg muscles up again. Years of not using them I have no calf muscles or thigh muscles to speak of. I am excited to get fit again and feel strong again!
Have a great weekend everyone! Thanks for your support!:thankyou: Joan
 
Gazelle
Hooray on the sleep - every hour is precious. And how strange with the medical records. Your experience shows why it's important for us as patients to know what's in there.

You're at the point where trying any sort of physical activity is unlikely to damage the new knees. New activities might be more or less comfortable or result in more or less pain - but that's how we find out what we can do. I'm not sure I've seen an "elliptical bike" before - is that like a recumbent bike?

Enjoy your gentle workout.
j
 
Gazelle
Hooray on the sleep - every hour is precious. And how strange with the medical records. Your experience shows why it's important for us as patients to know what's in there.

You're at the point where trying any sort of physical activity is unlikely to damage the new knees. New activities might be more or less comfortable or result in more or less pain - but that's how we find out what we can do. I'm not sure I've seen an "elliptical bike" before - is that like a recumbent bike?

Enjoy your gentle workout.
j

It is like paddling rather than having your foot in a stirup or on a pedel. Maybe do a google on it and you will see what one looks like. It is very smooth and really works your buns and thigh muscles with no pressure on the knees.
 
Just an update... I worked out this afternoon on my bikes and on my Pilates reformer. I was ably to bear weight on my knees with limited discomfort on the Pilates machine doing a strength move. I think it just felt Alien to me more than anything else...just felt strange! No pain, just weird! I want to be able to get down on my knees to work in the garden etc. going to keep working on it :)
 
Dear gazelle,
Great up-date :) have you been sleeping any better ? Did you try wrapping your legs ?
I've been weeding standing up ( I have a strong back ) tomorrow you will be 2 months, look
How far you've come :SUNsmile: continued success on your recovery.
Thinking of you always,
Diana June sunbeams :SUNsmile: going forward.......
 
AUGUST 5, DAY 63, Monday

Another start of a week. Can not believe it is already into August! Heading towards my third month after surgery aniversary day on September 4th. Feeling really pretty great today. My nights are still uncomfortable, stiff and achy which does not promote peaceful sleep. I am still getting up at 3am, makes for a long day, but then I sure get alot done in a day! Hope this gets better in time. My right knee is still tight, but no pain. My left knee really gives me no
problems. I have to say that at this point today, I am just about PAIN FREE when walking and standing. I do still have some discomfort with the stiffness and aches at bedtime.... but standing, and walking on my legs I am pain free. :yes!:

Have not taken pain pill nor tylenol now for almost a week. I am taking WobenZym, Zyflamed and other natural anti imflamatories twice a day, which I do think helps with pain and inflamation. I really do not like to take tylenol for all the damage it can do to the liver. This is the first time in over 10 years I am off of any kind of pain killer! Now that is pretty amazing!!:spin: and at one point in my painful years prior to surgery... I was taking 12 to 15 asprin day and I was still in pain!!!

I am exercising daily now.:bicycle1:....( not quite this fast!!!) ...About 20 minutes on my in the house upright bike and eliptical bike combined, and then another 20 minutes or so on my pilates reformer for stretching and balancing my muscles. I can do quite a bit of flex and bend for my knees on the pilates reformer, which is a huge plus!.

Well thats about it on today's update. I go to PT this afternoon- this month looks to be my last month. Thanks for listening and best to everyone.... and especially all my June bugs! Joan
 
AUGUST 6, DAY 64, TUESDAY

Bit stiff today after yesterday's PT. She is really pushing my bend. I am at about 122 and she wants me at 130. I have two days to rest so I hope my stiffness gets less. I also worked a lot on balance on one leg and then the other, then having a weighted ball tossed to me. Wow, that is very hard to do!

Another rather restless night. Stiffness and discomfort kept me up. Mostly from the PT workout.... I usually wake up every hour on the hour.... tried to sleep in until 4 ish... but just had to get up a bit before 4am.

I am deciding IF I want to return to my job at all... I have worked there for 23 years and I just really do not feel like I want to go back. I only work partime. I do not miss it at all. I would like to take the winter off, get my health back on track and then go from there. Telling my boss that I do not want to return is going to be hard as she keeps hinting on when I might return and tells me how much I am missed. It makes me feel bad, but I just have no desire to go back now that I have made the break. I think 23 years of service is enough for almost anyone at a single job. It just gets to the point where is not fun or fulfilling to me anymore. Your input would be appriciated!

wishing all my bonesmart friends a great day!:flwrysmile:
 
Hello gazelle,
First off....standing on one leg & catching a ball? :shocked: I hope I don't come upon that exercise :bow:
I would fall over.
Now, you ask an important question. I also work p.t ( 7-11pm Sunday-Thursday ) but I am by myself...I can sit when I want,
Ice when I want, walk with my cane if I have to. I don't have to walk a lot & no one is watching how I walk.
I love my job for the fact I am by myself :egypdance:
You have been there longer than I have.......now for some questions for you ?
1. Are you going to be looking for another job or retiring?
2. Can you afford to leave your job?
3. What does your hubby think?
4. Do you have hobbies & other interests?
Write a list of pros & cons......see what you come up with :ok:
I'm sure your decision will be the best for you.......
Diana June sunbeams :SUNsmile: living the dream....
 
Gazelle
First off, I am so impressed with your progress and the forward-looking tone of your posts. I believe events like BTKR can shake up more than our gait. If you can afford to quit your job and are not worried about finding another, go for it. I have no idea what Seattle's employment scene is like - or whether you'd even be looking for another job.

Is your job the sort where you could work on contract as a consultant? I have a friend in commercial real estate who has made himself a business simply by filling in for people on maternity leave, doing special projects, etc. He works primarily with 1-2 vendors. In the meantime, he can decide to fly to Mexico for the month of January if he wants to. Many people I used to work with in Seattle have become independent contractors or consultants.

You sound like a person who has plenty to keep her happy, healthy, and productive. It's tough to break the bonds with co-workers & after 23 years, I'm sure your boss does rely on you. Another perspective: Maybe it's time for the job to change, too, and your leaving could allow that growth.

Just my two
 
If I am not mistaken, you have a job in retail. I also worked in a store prior to my tka--and I can tell you that standing in one place was very hard on the knee. I worked about 2 or 3 months and then quit. It was just too hard on my legs.

Of course, they want you back, but the minute you tell them that you are not coming back, they will be all business and replace you!! Don't worry, you won't regret it one iota. If you like the discounts, join 3point5.com before you quit. They have a "retired" category and you continue to get some good discounts. Kelly
 
Joan,
I have never worked retail...so cannot help with experience from that realm...but I am retired (at age 55)...and the last 3 years of being "off someone else's clock" has been delightful! Also...not having a deadline for a return to work is so wonderful...it is allowing me to follow the Bonesmart way...and let my body heal at its pace. I originally decided to not work for the first year of my retirement...then to see how we (my hubby and I) felt about not working...it was a great time to realign my priorities...and it turned out that retirement was just the ticket!
Harplayer (Lee)

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
 
Good morning gazelle,
I hope this day finds you feeling well :) any decision on the job yet ? You are doing so well
Exercising....much more than I am :egypdance: I did keep my gym membership & hope to get back in a month.
Right now I am concentrating on going back to work....I need some more stamina :doh: it will come, I'm
Not worried.
Have a wonderful day,
Diana.....June sunbeams :SUNsmile: moving on...
 
Good morning gazelle,
I hope this day finds you feeling well :) any decision on the job yet ? You are doing so well
Exercising....much more than I am :egypdance: I did keep my gym membership & hope to get back in a month.
Right now I am concentrating on going back to work....I need some more stamina :doh: it will come, I'm
Not worried.
Have a wonderful day,
Diana.....June sunbeams :SUNsmile: moving on...

Still thinking about the job Diane... I have the letter wrote, just have to hit SEND. I wish I had a desk job...retail is so demanding and I just do not feel ready for it. Thanks for caring! And sharing! Joan
 
Gazelle, congrats on the amazing progress you have made! I am right behind you and feel the same way you do. Stiffness, no real pain. No pain meds. I am not exercising as hard as you are right now, but plan to work on my treadmill and recumbant bike once I am done with PT which should be next week. As far as your job goes....what the heck, you only live once and if you feel that way about it, it is time to move on to the next phase! I say go for it!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom