Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral TKR Got out of surgery at about 5pm 6/4/2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
It must feel great to have made the decision and be able to look forward to something new. I have no idea how and when I will return to work - my work involves a lot of concentration and I need to be able to do some travelling and at the moment I feel so wacked from the operation and the 3 years of pain and not sleeping I cannot imagine going back

I wish you all the best with "moving forward... stronger, healthier, happier, free"
:friends:
 
Good morning gazelle,
How are you doing ? Good I hope :) I read you weren't going back to work...good for you, 23 years is a long time.
Are you keeping up with exercising ? I am having a day of rest...beautiful weather, so I'll be sitting out in the yard.
Watching the world go by...I go back to work Monday night, I can't wait :yahoo:
Something to do besides icing, elevating & p.t...I have 2 p.t left & then I am done :yes!:
Have a great day,
Thinking of you always :friends:
Diana...June sunbeams :SUNsmile: ..stronger, happier, healthier :dancy:
 
Good morning gazelle,
How are you doing ? Good I hope :) I read you weren't going back to work...good for you, 23 years is a long time.
Are you keeping up with exercising ? I am having a day of rest...beautiful weather, so I'll be sitting out in the yard.
Watching the world go by...I go back to work Monday night, I can't wait :yahoo:
Something to do besides icing, elevating & p.t...I have 2 p.t left & then I am done :yes!:
Have a great day,
Thinking of you always :friends:
Diana...June sunbeams :SUNsmile: ..stronger, happier, healthier :dancy:


Hi Diana! I am doing pretty darn fine. Having made my decision about not going back to my old job, has lifted a heavy load off my shoulders. My boss was gracious and good about my decision which helped. I feel excited... And a bit scared at the same time . The best part is that I am not on time constraints now.... For the first time in many years! It is a lovely feeling not being on the clock.

My exercising is going well. I am taking up Nordic Walking! Do a google search on it. It is something you may like to do to enhance your recovery! If you decide to do it, I will give you the name of where I bought my poles. I am excited to get started!

Best wishes to you and good luck returning to work!
luv Ya! Joan
 
gazelle7777 I just read your posts about not going back to work. I am going to have a hip replacement , well two, actually, and I, too struggled with the decision about whether to try to go back to work after it. I'm having a lot of pre-op pain and have very limited mobility and tried very hard to keep on working until the replacements and then see. However, after much thought and soul searching, I just went ahead and quit. I had been there almost 16 years and tho it was a desk job I was just tired and burned out and sick of the job. I also had a terrible time getting up and down and into and out of the office. I hadn't realized how much walking, bending, etc., and steps a sedentary job entailed until I got to the point where it hurt like blazes all the time. I'm also 67 now, and just decided it was time to retire. I am glad I did it, and though I can't say I'm exactly enjoying retirement yet (I will after the surgeries) I am certainly enjoying not having to get up at the crack of dawn and go do a job that I really didn't like any more and which also hurt! I sure am enjoying not having to set that alarm clock! It was just time I did it and I am glad I did. Congratulations on your decision! Now you can do the things you love to do.

Peace and love to you.
 
Thank-you Butterfly for your encouragement ! I also have two bad hips and I hope I never have to have them replaced after going through two knees! Since having my legs straightened with the double knee replacement, my hips feel better... I pray they stay that way for a while! When are you having your hips done? P lease keep in touch with me !
 
gazelle7777 it sounds like you are doing amazingly well!! Im finallycatching up on your thread after spending 2 weeks feeling sorry for myself. My tear set me back weeks, but cant cry anymore....just moving along, getting better bit by bit. Im so happy you finally did the deed....sending out your letter! Bet you feel so free! Im looking forward to starting a different job, but thats enough to keep me motivated and happy. Hearing you talk about pkaying with Lola mitivates me to keep trying...my 3 are looking very bored!!
 
gazelle7777 it sounds like you are doing amazingly well!! Im finallycatching up on your thread after spending 2 weeks feeling sorry for myself. My tear set me back weeks, but cant cry anymore....just moving along, getting better bit by bit. Im so happy you finally did the deed....sending out your letter! Bet you feel so free! Im looking forward to starting a different job, but thats enough to keep me motivated and happy. Hearing you talk about pkaying with Lola mitivates me to keep trying...my 3 are looking very bored!!

Lucia, hello! I have been following your thread about your job prospects... I so hope everything goes well for you! I just got in from ball throwing for Lola... we do it every morning, taking advantage of the nice weather now as when winter hits... rain and such will keep us from doing it very much. I have two weeks left on my PT- only one day each week. I guess the therapist will decided if I need more. I think I do... but it is up to her and the doctor. I have been being much more active, my knees are still stiff, but not painful. I am taking up nordic walking with poles. All I need now is an iPod I guess for music to listen to as I walk. The last thing I had was the Sony Walkman that is HUGE and big.... that is how out of it I am!:rofsign: I bought the poles, shoes, gloves and the books. LOL! When I do something I do it all the way! It just excites me so to BE ABLE to go for a walk... as I have not done that for almost 10 years! I feel like new doors are opening up to me everyday that were closed for so long. I hope in the months to come my healing will improve more and more so I can do more. I am sure you are feeling the same way. It just takes time and we have to be patient.
I look forward to hearing about how the job goes for you here in September when they decide. If they know what is good for them they better pick you! :SUNsmile:
 
Hi gazelle7777
Glad that the decision to give up work feels like a relief and that a burden has been lifted - you know that you have done the right thing for your recovery :thumb:

Hope that you enjoy getting going with the Nordic walking - I am really hoping to get back to that when my walking is good enough. I had my first water therapy session this morning - it was amazing - I found I could do a lot more in the warm, bath-water like pool :yay:
 
Gazelle
I haven't checked in on the site in awhile. Everything is going so wonderfully for you, and that's...well, wonderful! The freedom you must feel after quitting must be like putting on wings. And the Nordic walking likewise sounds interesting. I still struggle with wanting to walk. When I do it, it's OK, but walking has never been my activity of choice, & I think that attitude is hanging on despite my structural improvements.

How is your sleep? Mine still stinks. GP has recommended an antidepressant, but I'm hesitant to go that route when perhaps trying melatonin might be a gentler first step - esp. when last night I heard a sleep specialist explaining how SSRI's shut down REM sleep. Ugh! I hate trying to figure this out.

Have a great weekend!
j
 
DAY 75, AUGUST 17TH, SATURDAY

Have not done a daily update for a few days. I have been feeling fine really. My right knee( problem child) has been a bit tight, stiff and uncomfortable the past few days... actually ever since PT where she tries to get my ROM better since we are coming to the last few days of PT. I have ROM of 129 in my left knee, and 124 in my right.. pushing my right past where it really wants to go. Since the Surgeon told the therapist he would be happy with 120, I feel pretty good about going past that. I hope to reach 130... maybe if they extend PT for another month... we will see.

I want to start my nordic walking but because my right knee is saying NO, I might put it off for a few days... and just use my bike etc. inside. My sleep is seeming to improve little by little. I have been getting up at 4am instead of 2:30am the past couple on days. I feel I am getting a bit deeper into my sleep, even though it is broken up by bouts of waking up when I move my stiff knees. I do take melatonin, and several sleepy herbs at night to assist in making me hopefully more sleepy.

Deciding to not return to work has relaxed me and I feel less stress. More off the clock, not having to count down days to returning to working my retail sales position.... I just do not think I could quite stand for hours working and walking about the store right now anyway. Plus, I was just over it anyway... infact the past year I was not enjoying my job at all. Nothing worse than not liking what you are doing for 8 hours a day!

well, that is about it for this update. I just realized that today is Lola's ( my golden Retriever) Birthday today! she is 3 years old!. We adopted her in July of 2010 from an ad in Craigs List. A lady just could not handle a big dog anymore. Best thing that ever came into our lives was Lola! Sweet, smart, funny, loving.... best dog we have ever had! Well take care my June Bugs, and my other BoneSmart friends! Enjoy your weekend! Wishing you health, happiness and joy today and everyday! Joan
 
[Bonesmart.org] Got out of surgery at about 5pm 6/4/2013
gazelle7777, you don't need more PT. Your ROM is fine and it will continue to improve in time with just living your life and doing what you love to do. And the time will come when both knees feel about the same and you actually forget about them a lot of the time.


You'll be surprised how much better things are in another month, and when you hit the 6th month mark, you'll almost feel "normal" and "human" again! 'Cause when we say this is a long recovery, we do mean it's a loooonnnnnnnnggggg recovery:heehee: .

Take care and keep us posted. We care.
 
[Bonesmart.org] Got out of surgery at about 5pm 6/4/2013
gazelle7777, you don't need more PT. Your ROM is fine and it will continue to improve in time with just living your life and doing what you love to do. And the time will come when both knees feel about the same and you actually forget about them a lot of the time.


You'll be surprised how much better things are in another month, and when you hit the 6th month mark, you'll almost feel "normal" and "human" again! 'Cause when we say this is a long recovery, we do mean it's a loooonnnnnnnnggggg recovery:heehee: .

Take care and keep us posted. We care.


Thanks for giving me your input on the PT. You know... I think you are right. I feel I will get stronger just with my walking and my exercise plus just living. I do not want to have insurance pay out hundreds more $$$ for something I can do on my own. I would rather that money go to someone who need it more and keep costs down for everyone. Thankyou for opening my eyes bottomshollow! :thankyou:
 
Gazelle...
You are doing SO well!! You have excellent ROM and seem to really be doing so many of the things you enjoy! (Lucky Lola!) I still have a few more weeks of PT :-( I am working so hard for the 84 degrees of bend that I have now :-( it is so depressing that my final number will only be 90 for this new knee...so your numbers sound so good to me! I think that you will continue to improve more and more as you live your full and happy life :-) I am celebrating your recovery to the life you want!! Whoot! You go girl!
Hugs from the Mitten!
Harplayer (Lee)

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
 
Gazelle...
You are doing SO well!! You have excellent ROM and seem to really be doing so many of the things you enjoy! (Lucky Lola!) I still have a few more weeks of PT :-( I am working so hard for the 84 degrees of bend that I have now :-( it is so depressing that my final number will only be 90 for this new knee...so your numbers sound so good to me! I think that you will continue to improve more and more as you live your full and happy life :) I am celebrating your recovery to the life you want!! Whoot! You go girl!
Hugs from the Mitten!
Harplayer (Lee)

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
Hugs back to you Harplayer! :friends:
 
Hello gazelle,
Happy, happy, birthday to your sweet lola :puppysmooze: you really are doing well. As far as therapy,
I would of been done last week rom 127-0 but, I am working on my gait ( I don't bend my knee sometimes )
& going up stairs...so I added in 2 more. Point being....go as long as you want &learn everything you can :dancy:
I went for a short walk yesterday 15 min.( I say out loud heel,toe heal toe & bend your knee) anyone hearing me
Would have a great :rotfl: :rofsign:
I wanted to mention how in tune you are to your knees, you really listen to them :ok: I really admire you for that
&will try & do the same :bow:
Have a great weekend,
Diana....June sunbeams :SUNsmile: ....happy birthday lola :puppysmooze:
 
DAY 76, AUGUST 18, 2013, SUNDAY

Good Morning BoneSmart friends!
I just wanted to share that I went for my first Nordic Walk with my poles yesterday:) ... I was going to put it off, but , decided to give it a try as I was excited about walking again. I put on my walking sneakers( have not worn them for YEARS!!!) dusted off the Panisonic CD player( it too has been in a closet for about 10 years... still worked great... CD inside was Boston, my 80's favorite rock and roll:rofsign: ) sunscreen and off I went!

I went about a mile and a half around my neighborhood. I had a wonderful walk! My right knee felt great and with the music and the endorphins kicking in... I was flying high! It was a bit warm... 78 degrees- so I plan to do it early in the morning next time. I was a bit tired last night and my knees were talking to me a bit more than usual... but that is normal after pushing yourself abit out of the comfort zone. This morning I feel OK- my knees no worse for the wear. Nice thing about Nordic Walking, you push yourself more or less, it is up to you. The poles take some of the stress off the knees so it is good for people with bad knees, as well as for people with knee replacement. You burn more calories than just regular walking, you build more muscle as you are using your upper body as well as your core muscles( strengthing your gut). It also helps with posture and of course building bone mass.

If anyone would like to see where I bought my poles and get more info on nordic walking go to this website: https://www.skiwalking.com

I ordered my poles and they came in two days with free shipping. They are not cheap made in China poles.. they are quality made in Norway poles. They send a great CD and information on paper as well. They will email you after you order to ask your height and they will send you the proper length poles.

I am excited about this exercise for therapy and wellness. I just wanted to share as I think it is the perfect exercise for coming back from TKR or BTKR.

Of course I am in no way related to this company or anything. I just wanted you to know this company is honest and sends out a good product as there are a lot of companies selling nordic poles.
Have a steller Sunday my friends!:yay: Joan
 
Wow!!! Great Joan! Walk on!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
 
Hi Joan,

I enjoyed catching up with your thread, you have been doing so wonderful and I'm cheering you on for the great attitude and work you've done! Also glad you quit the job, esp. since you didn't enjoy it any longer, I can truly relate to that feeling. I will go back for a year or two, but early retirement is definitely in my long term plans. I need the health insurance at this point, but am hopeful to get something affordable out of the ACA deal.

Your BTKR recovery sounds much like mine, as I'm also dealing with one that has progressed quite well, and then the problem knee. However, there is small improvement almost daily, and I just posted about going to the beach last week, and walking in the sand, quite long distances along the water edge, one of my favorite things. I'm so happy to know I can do that again, without pain. Your Nordic walking sounds intriguing, and I'm going to check into that. I live by a lake and there are wonderful walking trails all around me, but hadn't been able to take advantage of them the past few years. My daughter has a Labrador Retriever and a Husky, and they used to love going for long walks with me, and it's been so disappointed to not be able to do that lately. But who knows, in a year or two, I might be able to let them pull me around again, lol. OR at least I might be able to walk along, with someone else leading them.

Keep up the good work, and share your progress, it's so good to read positive posts, keeps us hopeful and going strong!!

:bicycle1:
 
You are doing really well gazelle7777 - your ROM is excellent :yay: - you do not really need much more formal PT as I am sure that a few extra degrees will come gradually just by easing them with home exercises

I am glad that you enjoyed your walk with the poles - it really is great exercise and will help you build up better stamina and condition :dancy:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom