Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral TKR Got out of surgery at about 5pm 6/4/2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gazelle, congrats on the amazing progress you have made! I am right behind you and feel the same way you do. Stiffness, no real pain. No pain meds. I am not exercising as hard as you are right now, but plan to work on my treadmill and recumbant bike once I am done with PT which should be next week. As far as your job goes....what the heck, you only live once and if you feel that way about it, it is time to move on to the next phase! I say go for it!

limpynomore, what a great nickname! It does sound like we are at a simular place. I have two more weeks of PT. I question if it is hurting me more than helping....I am miserable the day or two after, and start to feel good BEFORE going back. Hmmm..... I am pretty sure I am going to quit my old job, after 23 years, I am tired of it. I have to get over the guilt of quitting I guess.
 
I have to get over the guilt of quitting I guess. Yep, and as soon as you do you will feel very happy about it!
 
DAY 67 AUGUST 9, FRIDAY

Hello Bonesmart friends and June Bug friends! Just an update... I went to PT yesterday and had a positive workout. came home feeling good, not uncomfortable. My ROM is about 124 now( when I started it was 90). The Surgeon told the PT person he would be satisfied with 120 for me... so I feel good I am reaching upwards past that. My Pt person wants me to see 130 ROM. I would be so happy... but it would be such a miracle to reach that. I have one more week going Monday and Thursday, then I only go one day , Wenesday, the following two weeks.... I wonder if I will be ready to stop PT? I like that she pushes me past were I am willing to go myself... I would like to reach that 130 ROM. I need to talk to her and see what she thinks...

Today I was out throwing the ball for Lola my Golden Retriever as I do every early morning when it is cool... I have a chair I have sat in to throw the ball for probably the last 3 years since getting Lola. I could not stand to throw the ball as it hurt too much with my arthritic bowed legs. When I was standing and throwing the ball today... without thinking... I almost cryed! I felt so good! Pain free, throwing the ball, walking to go get it and playing with Lola -- not being the cripple I was before. It was one of those AH HA momments for me. Simple, small little thing that is HUGE. :yay:

I have wrote the letter I plan to email to my place of work about my not returning... I am going to send it about the 15th of August. That gives me a few days to think about it more... I feel really good about not returning as my mental outlook at the job as been less than positive as I feel so burnt out. It still is a hard decision to make.

I hope you all have a splended weekend whatever you do! It is going to cool off here starting tomorrow into the 70's which will be nice as it as been mid 80's for over a week. Take best of care!

:thankyou: Joan
 
Dear gazelle,
Do you remember when we were on the pre-op side. I asked everyone what would be the 1st thing we
Would do with our new knees ? Do you remember your answer ? It was to play with lola :puppysmooze:
To play with Lola & not think about the pain is a big deal :happydance:
I am so happy for you :yahoo:
You are on your way....keep up the good job
Diana.....June sunbeams :SUNsmile: .....living life :puppysmooze: :puppysmooze:
 
:happydance: So glad that your ROM is progressing so well and that you are able to do some things that you have not been able to do so long - it makes such a big difference to do things again
 
Hi puffin! It is wonderful to start to get my life back! Hi Diana! My sweet golden Lola is happy I can play with her again. Soon I will try taking her on a walk....have to work on my strength. Hopefully it will not be long! :puppysmooze:
 
DAY 69 AUGUST 11TH, SUNDAY

Slept in until 4AM today! That is looking positive... much better than 2:30 AM! Also, I am feeling stronger- noticed yesterday when working out on my bike and stepper that my legs are stronger and more steady. My muscles are responding to the exercise. I have not used them for so many years that it will take a while to build them back up.
Might go out and see how working in the yard goes today as it is a bit cooler and overcast. I never could do yardwork for the past years as my knees could not take the ground being so uneven. I notice now when in the yard I have a lot more control over uneven terrain, no pain! I still can not really kneel... so my back may not be too happy with my weeding. Have take it slow and easy!
Have a great Sunday everyone!:SUNsmile:
 
[Bonesmart.org] Got out of surgery at about 5pm 6/4/2013
gazelle7777! Always good to get extra zzzzzzzzzz time! Gives us a brighter outlook. So happy that things are slowly getting better and better and just a little of 2 months post op and both knees!!! Take it easy in the yard---might have to find a stool to sit on---just have to be able to get up from it :heehee:.

Take care and keep us posted. We care.
[Bonesmart.org] Got out of surgery at about 5pm 6/4/2013
 
[Bonesmart.org] Got out of surgery at about 5pm 6/4/2013
gazelle7777! Always good to get extra zzzzzzzzzz time! Gives us a brighter outlook. So happy that things are slowly getting better and better and just a little of 2 months post op and both knees!!! Take it easy in the yard---might have to find a stool to sit on---just have to be able to get up from it :heehee:.

Take care and keep us posted. We care.
[Bonesmart.org] Got out of surgery at about 5pm 6/4/2013
Ah-Ha! what a great idea a stool! I will bring one out with me- thanks so much!!

UPDATE...... Well I just spent two hours out working in the front yard. I could not get down to the stool...too low. But.....
I had no pain at all! I feel a bit stiff now that I am inside . I will take a hot bath and rest now. It was great being able to get out there and work again in the yard...another milestone reached! :happydance:
 
I'm really looking forward to sleeping properly again :sleep: - I cannot get to sleep untill around 3-4am. I have not slept through the night since my accident

I hope you can get out on some walks soon :puppysmooze:
 
Dear gazelle,
Your recovery has been amazing :happydance: your not just reaching milestones, you are on your way
To the life you have only imagined.
I am sooooo happy for you :egypdance: :yahoo:
Continue on my friend :friends: job well done....
Diana...June sunbeams :SUNsmile: playing with Lola in the garden.. :puppysmooze:
 
Hi Puffin and Gazelle!
You are both making such good progress! So happy to read your updates! Keep on keep in'...:-)
Hugs from Harplayer

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
 
Gazelle
Your Bonesmart moniker is appropriate as you are progressing by leaps and bounds. You had surgery two months behind me - and only recently have I felt comfortable walking on uneven ground. Yay! Doing yard work is impressive.

Isn't it great to feel the legs/knees get stronger? And at least your sleep is getting better by increments.

I watched a movie last night that was filmed in Seattle during the 1990's - "Singles" - full of now-vanished icons: Pay 'n' Save, Wayne Cody (!), the old Food Giant sign, the Neptune, t-shirts for Mudhoney, ReBar (where I used to dance back when I still could)...the list goes on - not to mention scenes filmed in the same office at Metropolitan Park where I worked for 5 years. Sigh. No matter how long I live here in Nebraska, it will never feel like Seattle.
 
Gazelle
Your Bonesmart moniker is appropriate as you are progressing by leaps and bounds. You had surgery two months behind me - and only recently have I felt comfortable walking on uneven ground. Yay! Doing yard work is impressive.

Isn't it great to feel the legs/knees get stronger? And at least your sleep is getting better by increments.

I watched a movie last night that was filmed in Seattle during the 1990's - "Singles" - full of now-vanished icons: Pay 'n' Save, Wayne Cody (!), the old Food Giant sign, the Neptune, t-shirts for Mudhoney, ReBar (where I used to dance back when I still could)...the list goes on - not to mention scenes filmed in the same office at Metropolitan Park where I worked for 5 years. Sigh. No matter how long I live here in Nebraska, it will never feel like Seattle.

Miss J, Sounds like you are homesick for Seattle... what made you move away? Maybe someday you will return. You know, I left the area for about 15 years after growing up in Bellevue .... met my husband in SunValley Idaho in my 20's, we lived there for 10 years and then he got a job with Boeing and we moved back here! That was almost 30 years ago... here we still are! He is from SanDiego and really loves the mountains and rivers and water around us. I always say... once a Seattlite.. always a Seattlite... you will be back....:flwrysmile: I just feel it in my bones!
 
Hi Puffin and Gazelle!
You are both making such good progress! So happy to read your updates! Keep on keep in'...:)
Hugs from Harplayer

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2


Harplayer, how goes the wedding prep? How is your knee treating you? Sounds like you fixed up your home so nice! I would LOVE new windows and such... I need to redo so much in this old house but it is so expensive I just do not want to go into debt to do it. Take care and keep in touch with me!:)
 
Hi Gazelle
I first moved from Seattle to Bellingham to get my M.A. in creative writing. I ended up teaching at WWU and Whatcom Comm. College for a couple of years after that. Then I made the fateful decision to get a Ph.D., which is what landed me here - my sister lives in Omaha & UNL gave me the most funding. (UW wasn't going to give me a dime.) Teaching jobs in English are rare...and one opened up here in Lincoln just as I finished the degree...plus, Lincoln is a very inexpensive place to live for someone starting over in her 50's. We bought our 3-bedroom, 3-bath house w/huge yard last year for $200,000 - hardly Seattle prices. And now I've married into the place! In short, I've hunkered down here at least until I hit 65. Then, who knows? I agree with your "once a Seattleite" comment. (Here's the kind of dork I am: One of the reasons I moved to Seattle was because I thought being called a "Seattlite" would be funny.)

I'm so glad you're doing so well, Gazelle! I see my M.D. today re: sleep...Have you ever tried melatonin? I haven't, but am thinking about more natural rather than pharmaceutical options.
j
 
Miss J.... I have tried EVERYTHING natural for sleep.... I work in the natural supplement industry past 23 years and I do everything natural. Nothing seems to help this sleep issue... I am tempted to go pharmacutical as I have general physical end of month and am going to ask for a prescription for something just to see if it can help. Wow! You are one educated lady! Good for you! I came from the school of hard knocks and learned the industry from the bottom up... I am always wowed by women who empower themselves like you have!
 
DAY 70, AUGUST 12, 2013 MONDAY

I just notified my work that I do not plan to return. I wanted to let them know so they had plenty of time to hire someone and get them trained and get the September schedule made. It was very hard to push the SEND button.... but I knew in my heart I did not want to return after putting in 23 years. It is a life changing decision... first big one in this new pain free life I have.... moving forward... stronger, healthier, happier, free! It is scary..... but exciting all at the same time.....

UPDATE..... I just came back from PT. interesting to find that my left knee has a ROM of 128. My right problem child has ROM of 125 today. If I only had two left knees! I would be miles ahead!
 
You're getting there! :egypdance:
 
Dear gazelle,
Follow your heart & you made the right decision for you :) I know it was hard after 23 years, but so
Exited for you.
Stronger, healthier, a new lease on a pain free life :yahoo: the skies the limit for you now :yes!:
Take care,
Diana....June sunbeams :SUNsmile: ....taking control of the future....
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom