Bilateral TKR Got out of surgery at about 5pm 6/4/2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Diana, hi Puffin! I did get 40 hydrocodone but they would not give me anything for sleep. Is this normal? I have never had a sleep problem, and have never taken anything for it before. Would a regular doctor give me something you think? Can you take pain meds AND sleep drugs together? Maybe not..... Maybe that is why they are do not want to prescribe sleep pills?
 
Hello gazelle,
So happy you got a refill on your pain meds :happydance: I take Ativan & Percocet & multiple b.p. meds.
I wake up during the night....I can't imagine not sleeping :tantrum: my husband says the percocets mess
With your sleeping habits.
Please call your regular doctor for some help......not sleeping is not going to help with your recovery.
Keep us posted....we care :console2:
Thinking of you,
Diana :friends:
 
gazelle7777 I think going to your general doctor for a sleep aid is a good idea. Im thinking of it myself. The thought of going there to wait an infinite amount of time just doesnt thrill me. Maybe Friday :shrug:
 
There are some of the stronger pain meds that impact on sleeping patterns so it might be this

Your should talk to a doctor about whether you can take them together as it depends on how much and what type as some of the stronger pain killers can supress breathing so they may be wary.

I still need stronger pain meds during the day so that I can be active and do my exercises (and not count down the final hour or two until the next dose is due) However at night I am taking a weaker pain med (Tramadol) in a slow release tablet. I still wake up a couple of times in the night I am - although last night I had a terrible night as my husband had a strange dream and screamed in my ear at 3am when I had only got to sleep at 2.30am and then it took over an hour to get back to sleep :gaah:

I hope you can get your pain meds and sleeping sorted out. Would it be a good idea to take a couple of total rest days with no PT to see of you can get the swelling and pain under control?
 
Puffin...I was thinking I might take a week off of PT just to see if the inflammation goes down. It seems the day after PT I am miserable for two days...makes me wonder.....
 
Hello gazelle,
I think taking a week off p.t is a great idea :) you know what is best for you.....if it takes 2 days to
Get rid of the swelling & pain it is to much. Gentle stretching only.
I hope you are getting some sleep?
You could possibly ask your pharmacist what over the counter sleeping aid you can take with your pain pills?
I would give them a call, can't hurt & they are great with questions, sometimes better. Than a doctor :ok:
Thinking of you,
Diana :friends:
 
Hello gazelle,
I think taking a week off p.t is a great idea :) you know what is best for you.....if it takes 2 days to
Get rid of the swelling & pain it is to much. Gentle stretching only.
I hope you are getting some sleep?
You could possibly ask your pharmacist what over the counter sleeping aid you can take with your pain pills?
I would give them a call, can't hurt & they are great with questions, sometimes better. Than a doctor :ok:
Thinking of you,
Diana :friends:

Thanks for the suggestion of talking to pharmacist . Great idea! Yes, I am still not sleeping good. It can not be healthy. I did make an appointment for my annual physical so I could maybe get some ambian or the like. I go see my surgeon tomorrow for my Post Op. I am not too impressed with him thus far. I fact, I have not HEARD from him since I said hello on the day of surgery on June 4th. He left town for a week right after doing my surgery and that was the last I heard from him. Did not make me feel very cared for...you know...reassured... I know he is a busy man, and good at what he does...but I think just a hello, or something would have made me feel like he was concerned. I feel like I have been basically on my own and when I asked his nurse a question or such, I was brushed off. Like they have no time for me.
 
Yes, it sounds like you should stick to gentle stretching for a few days and let the knee settle down.
When I was in my wake up at 3AM phase in recovery I used to put on an audio book or talky video to lull me back out. Maybe it was kind of like being read to as a little kid before bed?
 
Yes, it sounds like you should stick to gentle stretching for a few days and let the knee settle down.
When I was in my wake up at 3AM phase in recovery I used to put on an audio book or talky video to lull me back out. Maybe it was kind of like being read to as a little kid before bed?

Thanks keeper! Yes, my iPad is my lifesaver! :)
 
Joan,
I took 10 days off from PT...best decision I have made so far! Restarted PT 10 days ago and it is going so much better! My PT encourages me to discuss my needs and she feels that another one week pause in PT would be beneficial if I feel I need it in the future. I still take Norco in the morning and a Norco and a Tramadol at night...nothing else during the day...these doses seem to be enough and also keep me comfortable and walking...including PT. Sleep is getting better...still not able to stay in a bed for the entire night....so I start in bed...then transition to my recliner about 3 am...sigh....my IT band is so tight and hyper sensitive...I just can't stay stretched out in bed for more than a couple of hours! Celebrating your warm bath! WHOOT! Sending love your way...
Harplayer
(Lee)
 
harplayer whats the IT band? This week I had therapy 2 days in a row (my fault I rescheduled monday to tuesday) and I was so sore. Spending the day relaxing in bed in this wonderfully cool weather. My a/c is finally off after weeks of constant use!! I may take a short walk later if I feel energetic.
 
I sure know about the lack of sleep..with my last knee, I didn't sleep right for months! My Dr would NOT give me Ambien or any other sleep med because of the narcotic pain meds. He said they both depress the nervous system and can cause breathing to stop while you sleep.

Maybe that is why your Dr didn't mention sleep meds for you. They don't mix well with narcotic pain meds.
 
Hey Luisa....

The IT Band (Ilio-tibial Band) is the strong ligament/tendon that runs between your hip and the patella...it runs down the outside of your thigh...it can atrophy/ shorten when the hip or knee is injured..lit also can become inflamed from rubbing on the hip joint, or from knotted muscle tissue in the quad muscle. I happen to have a badly injured knee that was surgically repaired 40 years ago...and a cyst in the bursal sac of my him...also have some knots in my quad muscle since my TKR....so my IT Band is irritated, shortened and angry. They are using a roller on my thigh to desensitize my IT Band and this seems to be working.nthe roller is also helping with deep muscle manipulation to get rid of the knotted quad tissue. :-)
Harplayer
(Lee)
 
OMG harplayer. Thats exactly where my pain is on my L leg surgeon explained this is shortened due to years ofvalgus. What exactly is the roller they use?
 
Hi Luisa,

It is a 1" dowel rod, covered in 1/2" sections of PVC pipe...it is about 12" long...they use it like a rolling pin...and now, I use a rolling pin at home to gently roll my quad and thigh....
Lee
 
DAY. 52 , July 25, 2013

Good evening BoneSmart Friends! Hot here in Seattle tonight. I had not posted for two days, so I thought I would update. I went to my Post OP today. Saw my surgeon for the first time since day of surgery on June 4th. I think I waited in the little room 45 minutes...twiddling my thumbs...

They took new X-rays of my bionic knees. They sure do look good! doctor was pleased with my bend and straightening. I asked him if there was any exercise equipment I should NOT use. He said No. I was concerned about using my stair stepper, but, he said no problem. I wonder if doctors vary in there feelings about what is ok or not ok.

My knees are feeling better today as I had two days off from PT. tomorrow I go to PT and will probably end back miserable. Hmmmmm.....

I do not go back to see DR until November. Wonder how I will be doing by then? Great I pray!

Hello Harplayer and Lucia! Hi Titanlady! Hello kneeper and Diana! All my June Buddies!

Talk to you soon!
 
Hello all. I am still on the hurry up and wait side. However because I am the type that needs to know have found this thread interesting. Just an FYI narcotic pain meds do not make everyone sleepy!! I am one of the wired backwards type that actually gets hopped up on pain meds and can not sleep. Talk to your docs because a different med may work better for you. I am nervous because I typically cannot take pain meds in the evening or I will not sleep. Wondering how I will maintain the recommended schedule for meds and sleep??? Was wondering today if they would be willing to give me something to help me sleep. Thanks for your insights.
 
Hmmmm indeed. Please listen to what your knees are telling you!

Yes....I try to tell the PT person this...and we seem to do the same exercises that stiffin me up. Maybe I should just not go anymore? I worry about that some as I have a ways to go on my gait and strength...do you think that in time..months..that will come naturally just with walking and exercising at home? She does push me better than I push myself. I worry that I will be too lax in making myself do the work.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom