Bilateral TKR Got out of surgery at about 5pm 6/4/2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
You don't need 'pushing' to help healing; healing happens all by itself. The stretches are to keep mobility and don't take big effort, indeed must not take big effort. Gait exercises again don't hurt and are (IMO) in the head as much as anywhere else -- I had the most bizarre feelings learning to walk; that's what a baby does, for goodness sake. But one soon (re)learns it.
I worry about that some as I have a ways to go on my gait and strength...do you think that in time..months..that will come naturally just with walking and exercising at home?
Yes I do think so, if you put your mind to it (that's working smart, not hard). I had one PT session lasting about 20 minutes, she sent me home. Fee earning stuff too!!

Today I rode my bike to table tennis, 19 mile round trip, played table tennis for 2 hours. It can be done.
 
Gazelle
Sorry to hear it's been hot again in the Emerald City! It sounds like you're doing well, actually - I know you have doubts, but truly, you're doing fine.

You WILL regain your gait, etc. Walking did not come back to me easily - partly because I hadn't walked much in years, and when I did walk, it was like Lurch. Other Bonesmarties would brag about walking a mile and more 6 weeks after surgery; I don't think I could do a mile even now at 3 months. However, at 11 weeks, my walking and gait suddenly improved a lot. Partly this could have been do to a shoe change (I got orthotics - after a week of feeling like I had bricks on my feet, I bought less supportive shoes - voila!), and partly it was due to coming back to work where I had nice long level corridors in which to walk. I still "practice" walk once a day, concentrating on bending knee/using toe to push off etc. And walking actually improved once I started lengthening my stride instead of taking small, Frankenstein-y steps.

Actually, even though it's still a work in progress, my gait is MUCH better than before BTKR.

Sleep: I feel your desire for sleep! I struggle with it a lot; typically I'm awake at least every hour between 2:30-6. However during the day I'm not falling down from exhaustion & husband informed me I was snoring a few nights ago, so I'm going with the flow & not worrying until I see my GP in Aug (he's like the Pope: schedule your audience well in advance). Like you, I find hydrocodone to be like a sugar pill - I can take 2 and feel zero difference in discomfort.

I got an email from a Seattle friend the other day, taken on the waterfront - I keep forgetting that Ferris wheel-like thing is there. I miss the days of Ivar Haglund and working-class Ballard...
j
 
Joan,

Maybe you could take a break? I did have good luck taking a 2 week break...when I went back, I was rested and able to see for myself that my BoneSmartie buddies were right...the PT I was enduring was too much...this knowledge gave me the courage of my convictions to speak up in a very definitive way...which set me on a more acceptable and much more productive PT plan!

The other option would be to reduce the number of times per week for your visits...maybe twice weekly instead of 3x per week? My PT did tell me that patients have the right to refuse to complete any exercise or manipulation that they are uncomfortable with...please speak up...and consider reducing your visits or taking a break!

Love you friend!
Lee
 
Good morning gazelle,
You have to set your p.t right...tell them the exercises you have been doing are to :gaah:
& it takes you 2 days to recover. You want a gentle approach, are there other p.t's in the practice ?
I am like you I get lax in doing exercises if I am at home :sigh: I only do my gentle stretching at home
2x a day. I limped for 2years before my surgery, so I am continuing with p.t to work on my gait.
P.t said my hip on my replacement side is weak from limping.
This is your recovery...I would take your break like you said, ice & elevate,& look around for a new p.t
Or have a talk with the one you have, before you start. You should not be hurting for 2 days after :no-fin:
Sorry so long, have a nice relaxing weekend :SUNsmile:
Thinking of you always,
Diana :friends:
 
DAY 54, Saturday July 27, 2013

Good morning Miss J, Harplayer, Diana, Roy. My Pt session went different yesterday. I told her my knee was still sore and inflamed from Monday. So she just did massage on the knee. Part of it was painful... I seem to have a lot of scar tissue which is what she says causes the stiffness and the tight band feeling across the knee. She had these plastic things that she rubbed along the area where the stiffness is. It was painful breaking it up. She also worked on the scar, which as gotten hard and causes I guess the stiff feeling across the kneecap. It stung like crazy!. Have any of you had someone work on loosing up the scar tissue( It has a name but I forget what it is called.) ? She told me my knee would be sore for a day or so. And it is today, not horribly so but especially on the side of the knee where the tight band feeling is. I hope that this process loosens up whatever is keeping my knee from wanting to bend without feeling tight.

I have another month of PT. Next two weeks Monday and Thursday. The following two weeks just one time a week. I hope in that month I progress.... I feel pretty good but I do not think my knees are strong enough yet to have me walk for a mile or go to work.

I bought some over the counter sleep aid. It is called Diphenhydramine HCL 25mg. I took two last night and I do think it helped me sleep. My knees hurt so bad that later in the night I had to take a pain med.... I got up at 4:00 am.... better than 1:00am I guess!

I appreciate your input on my thread so much! I hope each of you have a wonderful weekend! Thanks so much!:thankyou:
 
Gazelle
You're taking action - which is good - esp. with the PT. Months ago my PT urged me to massage my scars (which grossed me out at first) and also do some upward massage/stroking of the stiff area. Keeping the scar loose did help with the sensations I was getting - and the bit of massage likewise just got nerves, blood, skin stimulated. I massage Mederma or vitamain E oil into the scar 2x/day. Partly this is vanity too, to get the things to fade out as much as possible.

Also - even though the knee doesn't "want to" bend, will it? I used to show up to PT w/my knees feeling like logs, but they did bend while I did exercises - and with no extra pain. There was a lot of inner dialog between my brain & my knees: yes you can bend - but I feel so stiff! - but you CAN bend.

I'm glad you got a little more sleep. Have a good weekend!
j
 
DAY 55, Sunday, July 28th

I have the blues this morning.... lack of sleep... my right knee hurts from the work done at PT for scar tissue on Friday... just feeling sorry for myself. I can not see where breaking up this so called scar tissue is helping if my knee feels worse than before doing the process? On the bright side I took NO pain meds yesterday at all for the first time. Usually I wake up at say 1 or 2 am and take something for the discomfort. I got through last night with nothing. I guess that is a positve thing. I just feel so blue about this right knee feeling so tight and uncomfortable... at this point I do not see my future with two happy knees and going for walks etc. My left knee wants to move forward... my right knee is giving me problems and setting me back from my goal. If this right knee is not better by September I can not see going back to work my retail sales job not being able to walk normally. I do not know how my boss will feel about that. I may just have to quit after 23 years of service to them.

Sorry for the depressing post. Maybe I just need to get dressed and go somewhere to take my mind off things.
I do hope all of you enjoy your Sunday! :SUNsmile: And, it is nice and cool here in Seattle today! About 65 degrees! The house is very comfortable. Take care everyone!
 
I seem to have a lot of scar tissue which is what she says causes the stiffness and the tight band feeling across the knee.
I had stiffness and tight-band feelings at the stage you are at; indeed I think just about everyone does. My guess would be that it isn't scar tissue but I'd like the Guvnor's view Josephine.

My further guess is that leaving it alone bar gentle mobility stretches might be good.
 
I can not see where breaking up this so called scar tissue is helping if my knee feels worse than before doing the process?
Because you don't have that kind of scar tissue! (more correctly known as adhesions)! What scar tissue you have you need, otherwise your wound would fall open! I sometimes think PTs don't know the difference between adhesions and scarring. Adhesions are what they mostly bang on about. Scarring is what results when the incisional areas are healed. This kind is not a problem and will ultimately reduce down a very pliable, thin line where ever the surgeon intruded. Get her to leave it alone and it will be fine.
On the bright side I took NO pain meds yesterday at all for the first time....
I just feel so blue about this right knee feeling so tight and uncomfortable
Well, here's a real contradiction! You took no pain meds are are now blue about that 'tight uncomfortable' feeling. Honey, that is PAIN! and for pain you need pain meds! You're only 7 weeks out which is still within the time frame for having post op pain. It's a rare person who genuinely has NO pain that early. Most find it rumbles on for up to 10-12 weeks. I know mine did.

So, do yourself a favour and keep on with the pain meds, the icing and elevating. If you manage these issues properly now, of course you will be able to return to work in September. That's another 5 weeks yet.
 
Gazelle,
Please listen to josephine :iagree: I am also at 7 wks, I also had a tight feeling in my knee. I felt like it
Would not bend :console2: but, after icing, elevating & gentle stretching in about a week it went away :happydance:
Now, please don't let anyone "massage" your knee :sad:
Follow the bonesmart mantra & you will be fine....
Sorry you are depressed....it happens to us all, but there are brighter :SUNsmile: ahead
Please keep posting......we care about you :friends:
Hugs,
Diana :flwrysmile: June sunbeams :SUNsmile: forever....
 
Thank-you for yor input. Josephine I am going to ask her about this "breaking up of the adhesions". She used some type of hard plastic tool. I only want to do only what is best . She is the professional of sorts and when someone like me goes to her for help, you assume they are doing the right thing. It is all so confusing as a patient only wants to do the right thing and get well. Thanks for helping me see another view point.
 
Hi gazelle7777 Are you saying she used this tool on your knee! It sounds like the one my PT used on my IT band to apply deep pressure. If this is what she used on your knee I'm surprised you didn't pass out from the pain! Even if she only applied light pressure it must have caused off the chart pain! :yikes: If I misunderstood, sorry.
Wanda
 
Hi Gazelle
Although blue days aren't fun, they happen, and I think you're in the prime part of recovery to feel down. The knees don't feel like they're getting "better" in terms of mobility, you're tired of both being tired and of having the hassle of getting around, etc. In that space, it's always easy to find someone Bonesmart or among friends someone who was walking 5 miles at 4 weeks - and to think, that should be me! etc. etc.

You have around two months until you go back to work. A lot will happen in your recovery between now and then. I predict you will not have to quit your job, as you WILL be walking (whether it's exactly "normal" or not). For now, your only "job" is work each day as it comes and cross it off your recovery calendar - while resting, icing, elevating, and generally looking out for your knees. Try not to fixate on the return to work yet.

I leave the PT advice to Ray & Josephine.

Hang in there!
j
 
Morning gazelle7777 I am so sorry you are having so many issues. I agree with Miss J--your job is recovery. Did you forget you had 2 knees pounded on just 7 weeks ago? It is so easy to feel "behind" when you read others' recovery threads. But everyone starts from a different place, has different surgeons, different PT expectations, different medication experiences, etc... With 2 knees to heal, you really need to just look for a general upward trend in how you heal. You will get there, you still have 2 months of prime healing time. Mother Hen and so many others have given you such great advice. Stay positive:SUNsmile: and focused :thumb: , but be smart!
 
DAY 57 July30' Tuesday

Feeling pretty good today! I notice now when I get up from a chair or the bed...I have NO discomfort. With my old knees, it would take me 10 minutes to be able to stand straight and the pain would be so horrible!! I also find that I have taken NO pain pills now for two days. I have only taken some Tylenol. I cleaned the house this morning using NO cane, had energy and NO PAIN.!

I feel , even though I still have some issues with right knee tightness, I see a new period in my life minus pain. It is rather strange to not be in constant pain every minute of every day. that was how i lived for the last 10 years. It is rather like getting out of jail, as arthritis pain, or any pain for that manner that makes you a victim, is like a life sentence to misery. I am so thankful that I was able to have this surgery, that I had the insurance to pay for it...I am thankful EVERYDAY.

I am going to get a new hairstyle and hair cut today. I want to start feeling good about myself again. I know I have a way to go on recovery....and I will have setbacks ....but today I celebrate feeling better! :SUNsmile:
 
Hooray! It truly is liberating to stand up straight and to walk tall.

I can't wait to hear about the new hairstyle. Every bit of rejuvenation moves us forward.
Are you driving yet? (I'm only asking because I can't remember at what point that happens)
j
 
Hooray! It truly is liberating to stand up straight and to walk tall.

I can't wait to hear about the new hairstyle. Every bit of rejuvenation moves us forward.
Are you driving yet? (I'm only asking because I can't remember at what point that happens)
j


Miss j, I was driving the 4th week after surgery . I never took enough pain meds to be out of it or high. No one told me not to!
 
Great! It is so good to read that you are so mobile and having no pain. Here's to continued success!
 
Good morning gazelle,
:goodpost: we had surgery the same day. You sound wonderful & no pain :yahoo:
I find this time in recovery to be great. I am sleeping through the night & wake up with no pain.
I still ice after my daily exercises & am on only Tylenol. At p.t I can do all exercises & will be adding weights.
I am sooooooooo....looking forward to returning to work :egypdance: I set a date for August 19 :happydance:
" June sunbeams " :SUNsmile: looking to the future.....
Diana :flwrysmile:
 
Hi Gazelle...and Everyone,

I am driving and have also had my scar manipulated because of adhesions! Ugh...so sore! I have been trying to taper off the pain meds too...while I certainly take less than 7 weeks ago...I just can't go "cold turkey" and remain comfortable! I find I still cry easily...and my husband and friends feel I should be "ready to rock and roll"... Which I find I am not...which depresses me. Gazelle...I am sorry that you are struggling withese issues also..but I am relieved to hear from you and our other Bonesmarties that I am not alone! I was so sore after my Monday PT that I am taking a break until Monday...I feel such relief!

Sending hugs to you,

Harplayer
(Lee)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom