Bilateral TKR Got out of surgery at about 5pm 6/4/2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
I couldnt agree more about the drs trying to scale back on the pain med dispensing. Even though now I can no longer take many due to head and stomach problems, it so upset me when they cut me back to every six horus so quickly. The pain came on at 4 hours and those extra 2 hours were horrific.
 
My OS refilled my Norco tonight for 60 pills--the label specifying "one every 4 hrs. as needed up to a max. of 6 per day." The previous 2 refills were from the substitute attending physician I had at rehab: 30 pills each, labeled "one every 6 hrs. for pain." That attending never even saw or talked to me: his colleague went on vacation right after seeing me for 5 minutes. The last 3 pills I took today were 6 hrs. apart. I also try to take my bedtime pill as late as possible, with a couple of Tylenols as a booster and a valerian root capsule for sleep (I can take that now that I'm off blood thinners, but it is too dangerous while you're still on anticoagulants). If I'm lucky I get about 3-4 hrs. sleep during the night, and only while on my back. I try sleeping on my side with pillows between my legs but inevitably the ache sets in before I fall asleep. I figure if my snoring disturbs my husband he can do what I do about his: wear earplugs. We've both been "thrashers" for 42 yrs. so neither of us moving about to get comfy disturbs the other! The past couple of nights I've taken another Norco if I awaken and it's been more than 4 hrs. since my last one. I'm hesitant to take two at bedtime lest they not last the night. (In rehab, I had the long-acting oxymorphone and Neurontin but I'm off both of them now. My husband thinks I shouldn't have been weaned off Neurontin, but I'll heed my OS on that one).
 
Congrats on the bath! :egypdance: We really need a smilie for that.
 
Sounds fantastic being able to have a bath :yay: It is something that I am really looking forward to as it has been almost 3 years (since the accident) since I have been able to have a bath
 
DAY 46 July 19th, 2013, Friday


It is early morning...I have been awake since 3:30am due to my issue of not sleeping. My legs and knees ached so bad last night...I even resorted to taking 2 hydro condone. They seemed to do nothing... This morning my knees just Ache SO much. Is this aching normal? I do not have PAIN when I walk....just an achy bone ache. I would call it discomforting...like a nagging head ache. If anyone knows if this is normal on the 7th week out please let me know.

I may attempt going to Costco today. See if I can muster up the energy. I need to get dressed and put my face on(as my Mother called putting on makeup). Feel human again!

Will update if I do go shopping....have a great day all!
 
Gazelle
I had to laugh about "putting your face on." That's what my sisters & I learned from our mom as well. You are ambitious, going to Costco - lots and lots of walking!

Others will chime in but I don't think there's anything unusual about the aching in the knees. The pain in mine keeps changing - sometimes achey, sometimes buzzy, sometimes stinging...rarely is it sustained sharp pain, but I'm always aware of those new joints.

I too take hydrocodone & sometimes wonder if it's much stronger than regular Tylenol. My GP assures me I'd notice a difference if I made that switch.

Enjoy Costco!
j
 
Gazelle
I had to laugh about "putting your face on." That's what my sisters & I learned from our mom as well. You are ambitious, going to Costco - lots and lots of walking!

Others will chime in but I don't think there's anything unusual about the aching in the knees. The pain in mine keeps changing - sometimes achey, sometimes buzzy, sometimes stinging...rarely is it sustained sharp pain, but I'm always aware of those new joints.

I too take hydrocodone & sometimes wonder if it's much stronger than regular Tylenol. My GP assures me I'd notice a difference if I made that switch.

Enjoy Costco!
j

Mine is mixed with Tylenol.
 
Mom said putting on the face, Dad said putting on the war paint.

Aching, stabbing, radiating, stinging, burning...had it all at one point or another, but it does pass. Look at it this way: you had been hurting for more than 46 days before surgery, right. Keep focusing on your new beginning and that there would have been no improvement without surgery. Do what you need to when the pain comes.

Have a good weekend.
 
When I took hydrocodone for my knees I felt it did little to nothing. I got switched to Tylenol 3 right after coming home b/c the hydrocodone was so useless. However, when I had my lovely kidney stone it worked well for that pain. But for my knees it was useless. Aleve worked better.
 
Joan, I am 6 weeks out and often wonder the same thing. I'll be great a few hours (only minor aches and pains), then out of nowhere BAM, stabbing pain on and off, or general aching bone pain, etc tec. I resorted to taking a vicodin at 930pm then again at 1am, with my pain cream and ice. Finally slept for an hour, then woke up, then back to sleep on so on. I find these pains are worse at night. For whats it worth, I think its normal and pray it slows down and disappears soon! Enjoy your trip to Costco! LOVE that store!
 
Dearest gazelle,
What a wonderful post :) your bath sounds absolutely wonderful :happydance: &
Going out to Costco by yourself....bravo, you are making such good progress!!!!!
Thinking of you,
All my best,
Diana :friends:
 
Mom said putting on the face, Dad said putting on the war paint.

Aching, stabbing, radiating, stinging, burning...had it all at one point or another, but it does pass. Look at it this way: you had been hurting for more than 46 days before surgery, right. Keep focusing on your new beginning and that there would have been no improvement without surgery. Do what you need to when the pain comes.

Have a good weekend.

Good solid advice...good to get sometime...like tough love :)
 
I did go to CostCo. Everything went well. By the time I was done, my knees felt a bit swollen , but no pain :) Came home and put everything away. All stocked up on salmon which I eat about 4 days a week. Now I have my legs elevated with ice. It has been a good day with no prescription drugs! Just Tylenol and natural herbal antiinflamatories. A good feeling as I think the drugs might be tied to my sleep issues...guess we will see over the next few days.
 
Dearest gazelle,
What a wonderful post :) your bath sounds absolutely wonderful :happydance: &
Going out to Costco by yourself....bravo, you are making such good progress!!!!!
Thinking of you,
All my best,
Diana :friends:


Thanks for your support Diana :friends:
 
gazelle7777 I LOVE the salmon from Costco! Hubby made some the other day. My dogs love it too LOL They beg for the scraps when we eat it and hubby spoils them with some pieces in their kibble. I havent been able to think about just over the counter pain meds for during the day, especially if I have therapy that day. I do try to go without it, but like last night when I skipped my afternoon dose, I think the pain came back in spades last night. The vicodin does make me feel woozy about an hour after I take it, but its that or pain. I keep fighting taking these dam meds. I really have grown to hate them so.
 
Luisa, everyone has to do what is best for them. Your pain needs are different from mine, we have different issues even though we had the same surgery. I hope you feel better soon! Give your sweet Goldens a nice belly rub from me :puppysmooze:
 
You are so right, everyone experiences different pain, even with the same surgery on the same day, whether same meds or different meds. I hope each of you can find what you need to get comfortable, especially at night. So, do you think our bodies build up a tolerance to these meds so they aren't effective? I wonder that with myself, and think maybe switching it up all the time would work. Right now, plain old Tylenol takes care of my pain better than my dilaudid (aka "hospital heroin") or hydrocodone. I wish the best for both you all. We're gonna get there!! :friends:

Have a great weekend. Here's hoping for good pain control!
 
DAY 49. July 22, Monday

Right knee is sore and angry. Had PT today and was not able to put out my best effort. Hope this knee starts to heal like my left has been.

I called in for my pain meds today and asked for something for sleep. They will not give me anything. I have tried everything natural. So, I guess I have to go to a regular doctor just to get something? Seems so foolish to me.

I am hot and TIRED.... And sore.... :tantrum: ....yes a tantrum is what I need right now.

good nite!
 
Gazelle,
Did you get pain meds? Or are you just not getting something for sleep? I don't know why they couldn't
Give you something for a week or two :hissy: I hope your g.p can give you something to :sleep:
Thinking of you.....
Diana :console2:
 
I think that if your right knee is hot, angry and sore you need to reduce or skip the PT for a few days to let it settle (this was the advice for my PT ysterday). Pushing an inflamed knee in PT will just cause swelling

Hope you have got the pain meds sorted out :console2:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024

Members online

Back
Top Bottom