MUA Good Strong Knee - No Bend<

Stretching is all a bit new to me but I will get into it If it’s going to give me back my ROM.
Yes, it's the only thing that will. Much of real life is such stretching -- walking properly, for instance, gives a massive stretch on the back of the leg.
I feel very strongly there is nothing wrong with my knee but there is with all the stuff round it.
That's good, it means it's correctable.

Your leg has been swollen and painful for a long time. There may be something you are doing that is over-stressing the soft tissues, which you may need to figure out; it's OK to spend lots of time sitting, don't forget.

Anderson's book on stretching is definitive, IMO.

So, you've read my stuff (and got a skateboard I think I read -- cool!), there's loads more on stretching. So, flexion and extension, several times a day, every day. No need for any other kind of training.

Ah, I'm repeating myself. Good luck it WILL work.
 
@Roy Gardiner yep got mini skateboard but in uk not here but here in Spain all tiles are slide-y

I will endeavour to concentrate on stretching for straightening and flexion. I do have a great deal of pain on both s and f when I stretch too far it’s not that I can’t physically do it. It is the intense pain that stops me.

I make a point of walking correctly. According to my husband my gait is correct heel-foot-ball, I have no limp it just looks like I have a slightly stiff leg.

I do rest a lot and ice a lot and elevate a lot! Thanks again Roy
 
I make a point of walking correctly. According to my husband my gait is correct heel-foot-ball, I have no limp it just looks like I have a slightly stiff leg.
To correct that stiff leg appearance, try to lift your knee a little higher than normal as you step forward - pretend you're stepping over something.
 
@Celle haha I do stretch over when there’s not too many people about. I tend to get looked at otherwise! I will try to remember to do it in the house. That’s where I forget and start shuffling especially when I’ve got my slippers on! I try to wear my ballet pumps (which I bought for the hospital thinking they were slippers). They are comfortable and not completely flat which helps.

@Roy Gardiner i never stretch to pain. That’s why the PTers gave up on me! I have been trying to stretch more often, only doing the one each of flexion and extension several times a day and I’m succeeding remembering (to do them I mean).
 
I have been in slightly more pain at night just behind my knee and below at the front on the medial side (that’s the inside - right?). This is the same pain I have had since I tore my meniscus over 5 years ago. This is generally where I always get pain, aching, being uncomfortable and in the early days nerve pain (soreness). My OS saw me back in December 2017. I can’t remember his wording but he basically said it was history pain or ghost pain. It’s too painful to be in my head but who knows. I did/do get other pains and ‘zingers’ all over the knee but these don’t bother me much and there really isn’t that many. I generally have no other aches and pains in the rest of my leg or the rest of my body which makes me feel I am not overdoing anything.

The knee has always been swollen. It swells even more when I have done too much. I had it massaged by PTers in the early months. After they stopped, once a month I have it massaged by my osteopath who also puts me back in line but she says my alignment is quite good. These massages feel nice but don’t really help. They cause swelling I guess. She also massages my golfers elbow so until that is sorted I’m quite happy to carry on as she stretches my limbs gently too.

Sorry gone on a bit and perhaps repeated myself by hey it’s good to talk!
 
Post-op swelling can take many months to go away, so that's most likely what's going on with your knee. I'm nearly 11 months out and still have very minor, intermittent medial pain in my left knee. At five months, I had that pain all the time. My OS said it was an unhappy bursa. So these kinds of things are what the healing inside the knee will resolve over time.

If the massages feel good, and better yet if they help anything, might as well indulge yourself. Mr. Shoes massages my knees and especially that sometimes sore spot on Lefty. I think the knees appreciate the attention. Most knees get little by way of pampering. :wink:
 
What’s a bursa-thank goodness for online dictionaries.....

Bursa
a fluid-filled sac or sac-like cavity, especially one countering friction at a joint.

I’ll have that explanation it makes complete sense @SusieShoes. The pain is better than it was if I think back over the months!

Thanks Susie I’ll keep having the massages.
 
24 weeks: pain mainly at night. New pain on left of knee when I get up to walk after being sat a while- occasionally not every time. Did a lot including quite a bit of standing round on Friday so spent the day today doing nothing but DLAs resting icing and elevating.

Still taking Zomorph at night but down to 2 instead of 3 and 4-6 paracetamol when needed mainly at night.

Went on a recumbent bike situated on the beach last week. I thought the length would help me do a full turn and so it would give me the courage to use my outdoor cycle. No such luck could only manage half turns so will have to wait till I get home to use my static bike to stretch out. Hope I can cycle by the summer!
 
25 weeks
Came home on Tuesday so 2.5 hour flight then 3.5 hour train and wait journey. Knee was very swollen but not as bad as the journey out 3 weeks ago!

Spent time over last 2 days pressure washing the back garden which is 90% crazy paving. I iced and elevated ever hour or so. The gel packs are noticeably still cold now even after an hour which means my knee is not as hot.

I have also been for a short walk each day and my gait is so much better than 3 weeks ago.

I tried my static bike but only managed 3 mins each day and not full turns so my flexion has got worse probably due to the travel day and the standing round pressure washing for 2 days.

I wondered if warming my knee before going on my bike may relax it. If anyone out there is reading this have you any thoughts.

The weather has been glorious these last 2 days hence me pressure washing! Timmy, our tortoise, is up and about but moving slowly round the garden - let’s hope by the time he speeds up for the summer I have too.

Thanks for listening.
 
I tried my static bike but only managed 3 mins each day and not full turns so my flexion has got worse probably due to the travel day and the standing round pressure washing for 2 days.

I wondered if warming my knee before going on my bike may relax it. If anyone out there is reading this have you any thoughts.
Those activities will indeed, have had an impact on your knee.
I'd avoid applying heat, because it can cause more swelling, but giving you knee several days of increased rest and elevation might help.
 
Thanks for info @Celle i wasn’t sure about the heat. I wondered if it might relax muscles. Will stick with the ice I find it a painkiller in itself and really quite soothing.

I’ve been resting all day today and plan to for the weekend too just wanted to get something done before the weather returned to it’s usual UK self. It has been so warm these last 3 days. Even reached 30 degrees in the garden today!
 
You can put heat on your muscles, as long as you keep it away from your knee.
 
Right that makes sense. Will try it thanks.
 
Went out tonight which was ok as sat on a sofa with my leg up each time my husband got up to play (keyboards). As I knew I would be out for a while I’ve been elevating and icing for longer than an hour each time today. I’ve just got into bed and realised I’ve burnt myself on the inside front of my knee. I’ve put aloe Vera gel on but it’s still quite hot to the touch. I’ll keep putting the aloe Vera on but if anyone reads this tonight any other ideas would be appreciated. Safe to say I won’t be icing tonight!
 
I’ve just got into bed and realised I’ve burnt myself on the inside front of my knee.
I'm sorry that's happened to you.

That's why we always advise people to make sure there is something between the icing medium and your knee - to prevent freezer burn, or frost bite. A tea towel, (dish towel?) is ideal for this, or any small piece of material that is thick enough to protect your skin, but not si thick that you don't get the benefit of the icing.
 
@Celle I know I know! I have a scarf I use which works but I’d nodded off and ended up with the gels on for longer than an hour more like two. They used to warm up and wake me but my knee doesn’t get as warm! They also seem to be coming out of the freezer icier too.

I’ve learnt my lesson don’t try and short cut by taking off the scarf. I did wonder why it was just that area. It’s the area where all my pain is and was before my tkr. Well I’ve added to my different kinds of pain now. Silly sausage I am!!!
 
Is the area right over your prothesis? Just wondering, because maybe the metal parts get cooler and cool down the area more than happens over areas that are muscles, sinew, and bone. Sorry this happened to you. :sad:
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom