MUA Good Strong Knee - No Bend<

@SusieShoes I didn’t think of that. It probably is over some of my prothesis. My tkr is my left knee. The burn is to my right at the front just below the bend. Funnily it’s the site where all my pain tends to come from or start from including my nerve pain back in the early days. It’s about 2-3 inches in diameter now. It was 5-6 inches last night! I’ve been using aloe Vera gel and witch hazel gel alternately. It seems to work. I just feel a bit of a fool. Oh well Lesson learnt. Hope I can help others stop this happening to them. Thanks for your concern.:blush:
 
I stopped icing when my prosthesis got so cold, it would take about an hour to warm up. My knee doesn’t swell, so I stopped icing about 7 weeks ago.
 
Burn all cleared up now.

I am off to Norway next week on a cruise with a friend. My tkr was but a twinkling in my eye when we booked. I hadn’t even got an appointment with the surgeon!

We paid the booking fee, then some in October last year before my op and the rest in February this year when I told them about my tkr but saying I wasn’t disabled.

Oh boy it’s now here and even though I’m looking forward to it I’m also worried I’m going to be worn out. My friend, God bless her, is very understanding but I don’t think she realises how much I rest elevate and ice still. There is a fridge in the room which I think will be ok to cool the gels. We’ve ordered extra pillows so I reckon I’ll be able to elevate in the room. We have 3 excursions book one on a coach, one on a railway and one on a helicopter so not too much walking or on my feet. It will just be the swelling to contend with.
 
I have a tip! Bring some large ziplock bags. When you get on the ship, have a talk with your cabin steward. Let him or her know you would really appreciate if they would fill the bags with ice (morning and evening). Show your appreciation by leaving a daily tip. You will have fresh ice packs twice a day! You could also use these bags to add extra chill to your gel packs.

I did this when cruising before my surgery. My knees were terrible and in constant pain, so I iced them a lot. My cabin steward on that last cruise was wonderful. She kept my ice bags full and always cold. I left her a really nice tip at the end of the cruise, too.

Your cabin steward is your best friend for this kind of thing. If you tell them what you want, they might know of just the thing to help. Also, you might find the room has moveable cushions (a sofa, for example) that will be good for elevating.
 
@Celle could you change my thread title please. To: Need to Cycle Summers Coming
Thanks
 
Just got back from my cruise. Great time, it’s a beautiful place Norway. Not sure I’m a cruiser but I’ve tried it!

Feel I’ve turned a bit of a corner with my tkr. I’m walking much better and further. It may have been trying to balance and walk while on the boat. I also did the laps each day walking at least a mile round the deck. I only elevated with fridge chilled gels twice a day. I had no pain during the day at all nor since. My night pain still wakes me but my sleep pattern has improved greatly with pain meds kicking in quickly. I’m down to two Zomorph and still 6 paracetamol but even that is an improvement.

I have just one problem. The weather has been lovely since we got back. I love to walk but it’s cycling weather! I went on my static cycle today but I still can’t do a full rotation unless pedal in middle of foot and my foot is pointing down. I took photos!

I am still trying to stretch to uncomfortableness using my mini skateboard. I’m also still struggling straightening but that’s not a big issue with my cycling.

I think my flexion is about 90 still and my extension is 20 still!

Just wishing still :sigh:
 
[Bonesmart.org] Good Strong Knee - No Bend<
 
Great job on the walking!

I am still trying to stretch to uncomfortableness using my mini skateboard. I’m also still struggling straightening but that’s not a big issue with my cycling.
You can’t speed up your healing timetable. Don’t try so hard, if you do you will irritate things and then have to re-heal from that. Patience!
 
@Jockette I know! I know! It's just, you know - I wish.......

Still trying to upload my other two photos.
 
So glad you had a good cruise! Keep with your program and rest for the swelling to decrease. Walking is quite good for circulation, so some light walking will help with the swelling too, as long as it doesn’t cause you pain.
 
We all wish, I have wishes of my own, still, at 14 months! :console2:
 
@Jockette and @SusieShoes thanks for the support. I'll just keep enjoying the sunshine by walking. At least I can do that with no pain. All the best with your recovery J and you too SS - wish I'd known beforehand how long it would take I would have still had it done, would just have got my head round the fact a bit more. I keep thinking I can defeat the process!
 
[Bonesmart.org] Good Strong Knee - No Bend<

Going backwards
[Bonesmart.org] Good Strong Knee - No Bend<

Full rotation but with foot in this position
 
Very few of us were prepared for any aspect of this recovery. It’s the world’s best kept secret!
 
I've changed your thread title.

Can you raise the seat on the bicycle? If you can, making a full rotation might be a bit easier.
 
@Celle can’t on the static, it won’t go any higher. Tried to put cushions on but they just fall off! Would be a little worried to raise seat on outdoor cycle as unless I jump off seat at the right time I could fall off. Funily enough that’s how this whole thing started!! Thanks for thinking about it though I really do appreciate your input. After talking to Roy last time I wanted to cycle I thought I might be able to by now. Ah well patience is a virtue.
 
I tried to cycle yesterday on my husband’s Exercycle and couldn’t either. Put the seat up as high as I could manage but there’s still a bit where I just can’t complete the rotation. I could not ride without pain before surgery either....

Went to PT yesterday and talked to the therapist about where it hurt. I’m now stretching my hamstrings and icing the back of my leg. And resting, so we’ll just see. I’m at about 100/5. Patience, right? Sometimes it’s hard!
 

Members online

Back
Top Bottom