MUA Good Strong Knee - No Bend<

[Bonesmart.org] Good Strong Knee - No Bend<
No break away toooo much snow! Rescheduled!
Anyway, I went for a walk in the snow today, no longer than usual, took my stick just 'in case'. I get back home and the whole energy drain kicked in- guess this can still happen?
 
Yep, energy drain can still sneak up on you for a while yet. At your stage of recovery, most days you will be fine with energy. But for no discernible reason —maybe a new activity, maybe a bit more activity than usual, maybe something you never figure out— you will be laid out by the energy drain and need a nap. It isn’t a symptom of old age or anything. It’s just that the energy drain is still stirring under the surface. At some point you’ll realize you haven’t felt it in a long time and realize it, too, is history.
 
I’m coming up to 19 weeks this week. I still only have Rom of 90 which I think I’m ok with. I guess I know it’ll come. I’m more bothered about my (sorry forgot official name) straightening!! I haven’t been able to straighten my leg for 5 years. I don’t feel I limp but I’m told I walk strange because of my bent leg - reckon it might be a 10 could be a 15. I’ve been concentrating on my gait and trying to stride out. I find it easier with a low heel shoe or slipper than flat shoes. I’ve been getting my husband to gently press down on either side of my knee - uncomfortably but not painful but also not much straightening happening. I’ve tried massaging the calf and thigh muscles. Should I be worried yet? Is there anything else I can do? Is it because of the length of time -5yrs- I haven’t been able to straighten so all my tendens n muscles have tightened up?
 
@Gel-girl , I walk in long strides every day. I still have the aches and pains. Ice it for the slight swelling. It is all part of the journey I am only 10 day ahead of you!
 
Extension for many of us has been harder to come in. It was for me. The best way that worked for me was to take long strides with a heal to toe gait. It took a while and since yours wasn't straight before your surgery, that means those muscles and tendons behind your knee have to stretch. This won't happen over night. They are big muscles and tendons! Just try walking with longer strides every time you think about it. You extension will come in!
 
@Mutti3 good to know your nearby in terms of days. Yep aches and pains still there for me too. I can see the progress if I look at it over weeks n months. Sometimes feels like I’m standing still. @sistersinhim good to know I’m on the right track walking wise. Your comment ‘every time you think about it’ made me laugh as that is so true it doesn’t come naturally and I don’t half look daft walking round the village with a pronounced gait and stride! Thanks both.
 
I haven’t been able to straighten my leg for 5 years.
Because of this, it will take much longer to achieve extension.
All the tendons and muscles at the back of your leg will have shortened and it will take time and gentle treatment before they stretch and lengthen enough for you to straighten your leg more.

It's still possible that your extension will improve, though.
 
@Celle I do hope so. Thanks for encouragement and info. Extension such a logical word yet I could not remember it!!!:) :-) (:
 
Age dyslexia!!
Just a quick update: I now have a mini skateboard to help with flexion. A foam roller to help untighten muscles to help with extension (however it’s supposed to be spelt-see! dyslexia!). I am doing everything slowly and not too much. I am also still too-ing and fro-ing on my bike. If I put the pedal in the middle of my foot and lean to one side I can just get a full rotation backwards (sorry I think I’ve already said this somewhere). I’m still not very good at exercising regularly but I do keep trying to get into a habit of sorts.
I am now taking Zomorph 10mg at 10pm 2am and 6am which is helping me sleep better although still waking at least once a night and taking paracetamol as I need it and icing. During the day I’m still taking approximately 2 Gabapentine and 2-6 paracetamol when I need them. I am not taking meds to a timetable any more just when I need them. I am not taking Tramadol any more either. My pain levels have reduced greatly but pain is still there. I’m still icing 3-4 times during the day and constantly elevating. I am realising it’s gonna take time and for the most part I’m ok with this and feel quite positive. Sometime I think will I ever be normal again and I’m too young to feel this old.
 
It's not unusual to need tylenol throughout the day for several months.
 
We have a name for that - it's called the Movie sign
I didn’t realise at the time of this posting this was a real phenomenon. I went to the cinema again last week and wondered why I was swollen and in pain!! I’ve been doing a bit of research on bone smart recently and came across ‘movie sign’ in a serious thread. Thank you Josephine.
 
I went for last physio today. She just talked didn’t do anything. Signed me off for this lot of physio. Suggested I go see GP to be referred again when I’m at my year mark if I think I kneed it. Measured me I guess for last time I was 85 and 20 weeks this week. Progress feels slow ......but sure I guess.
 
Slow is right, but steady is great! This recovery truly makes a person learn patience! It can be quite aggravating, but the outcome is worth it when the year is over!
 
Got our short break away this week in lovely sunshine. Hever Castle is really quite small including the staircases-hard work for the knee! The grounds are humongous also hard work for the knee! The journey across Kent was about 2 hours but we stopped off for a short walk and lunch then took it easy in our barn conversation room! Thanks to Josephine for the suggestion of travel ice packs worked a treat but not quite as icy as cold gels from the freezer but we’ll worth bulk buying. Journey back was split up with a trip to a sewing shop to ‘try’ and buy my first overlocker - got one - and another short work to and fro from shop to car. I would say that I did too much overall! My knee is nearly always swollen but it swelled slowly to almost twice it’s size so my jeans on the night we got home had to be peeled off the leg. I’ve been taking it easy today just doing odd jobs and elevating and icing all day. Slept quite well last night only awake twice. Tired now so hopefully sleep well tonight too. Pain level over the trip away has been about 3/4 which I think isn’t bad considering the swelling. Just over a week and we’re off to Spain again. Will be comparing it to our January visit. 20 weeks out yesterday:-)
 
Ouch with the extra swelling. That knee needs babying for a few days. I bought a whole case of chemical ice packs. You can easily carry them cause they take up hardly any space. When you need one, just shake it up! I keep them in my campers for after hiking!
 
Feel free to delete or move this thread. Can’t seem to find community now!

I have tried to change my thread title on iOS using safari and chrome. Tried the Bonesmart app. Tried windows 10 IE and chrome. I managed to change it before using windows vista which I no longer have. Has the ability to change thread name disappeared?

If so please let me know so I can just ask an Advisor to change it from now on.

After all that, sorry to go on, can you change my recovery thread to Gels TKR recovery please.

Thank you all so much for your time it is so appreciated.
 
@Gel-girl ,
Thread title changed as requested. If you would like it changed in the future, just post a request in your recovery thread. Staff will change the title for you.

How are you doing?
 
Last edited:

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom