Guest viewing is limited

MUA Good Strong Knee - No Bend<

@Pumpkln thanks for changing thread title. May leave it like that a while.

I’m doing ok I guess! Up and down. Keep trying to stay positive. Knee constantly swollen not really going down much after icing and elevating. Consequently still not getting anywhere with flexion or extension. I’ve been using mini skate board, static bike, a roller to help massage the muscle and stretching exercises. None really helping ROM. I still walk with my exaggerated gait. Come downstairs one at a time. I can do upstairs one after the other but I do look very comical!

On the positive side, even though there’s swelling, pain is not as big an issue. (Unless I Bend or straighten too much then the inside and back of the knee is extremely painful). The everyday pain is almost none existent with me only taking paracetamol as and when, most days taking none. Still taking 3 x 10mg zomorph at 10pm 2am and 6am or as near as when I wake. My pain at night is different things such as; aching, calf aching, heavy leg with pain on outside, shooting pain on knee cap and the worst is pain on inside of knee front to back which I’ve always had (including with previous arthritic knee). I have to say though all is a lot less and the zomorph kicks in very quickly these days.

Today I travelled by train to Gatwick airport and flew to Spain so my knee is a little more swollen than usual. Got the gels on as soon as we got to Spain but it really didn’t make much difference. Ah well a good nights sleep and some sun tomorrow will help I’m sure.

Sorry to go on But thanks for listening
 
Oh boy did I do too much yesterday! I paid the price last night. I slept but not much. I even resorted to one Tramadol on top of my Zomorph and Paracetamol to take the pain away. The knee is still swollen today not as much my husband says. I’m icing at the moment. I’ll photograph it later and compare with photo of last night. Went for a very short walk on the beach this morning. I love walking on the sand it’s like ‘good therapy’ for the knee. We are off food shopping shortly no strolling I’ve got the list in order with one for me and one for him! Then I think it’s sit in sun for rest of day and not a lot else!
 
22 weeks today. Swelling from Mondays trip Kent to Spain reduced. Met up with friends today we’d not seen for a few years. He’d had both knees done and couldn’t understand why I was sat there icing and elevating! Further chat finds that he’d had half knees done and was up on a roof at 6 weeks!!!

Half knees are a quicker recovery aren’t they?

They couldn’t get over how swollen mine was (it’s back to ‘normal’ swelling today).

Should I still have a permanently swollen knee at 22 weeks?

I felt a little down after they left and I’ve started wondering if I should be doing more, like stretching and walking. I just find stretching my leg to bend and straighten is still so painful. I walk quite a lot but if I do too much I’m in pain at night and find it hard to sleep!

I know the information and mantras on Bonesmart but should I be doing more at 22 weeks?
 
Everyone and every knee is different. I am 10days ahead of you, so we are almost twins! You are doing what your knee is telling you. I still ice occasionally. Don’t beat your self up. You are where you are suppose to be.
 
By half knees, do you mean partial replacements? I had a partial and my recovery is taking longer than some on here who had total replacements done.

Or, did he not have an actual replacement, but a lesser surgery on part of his knee?

And, how long ago was his surgery? Maybe he didn’t tell you the whole story of how that roof job went.
 
@Jockette I said to him ‘oh you mean a partial’. His wife said well half the knee! Yea maybe they didn’t tell me the whole story or he’s forgotten the pain he went through! Just wish people (generalising here) weren’t so judging of other people’s knees! Thank goodness for Bonesmart once again:-). Thanks Jockette I hope you recover well.

Thanks @Mutti3 thats what I said every knee IS different. I mentioned the forum and how even the people having bilateral tkr had different experiences with each knee. They just thought I was in a bad way and should go see my OS! Made me feel inadequate! Good to know I have an ‘almost’ twin. Keep healing!
 
Just wish people (generalising here) weren’t so judging of other people’s knees!
I think this has been the #1 shock of this recovery. Just about everybody has an opinion about how I should be, and they didn’t hesitate to tell me. :blackcloud:
 
I had an entire birth family of knee replacements letting me know what I’m doing wrong. Best thing I had going for me was they live a half continent away, so couldn’t see what I was actually doing/not doing every day. People can’t help but compare knees, I think.

Your knee. Your life. Your story... just smile and listen to their stories.

Also ponder that, down the road, you will meet other people with new knees and they might ask about your experience. :heehee: We often end up on the other side of this thing!
 
So true @SusieShoes. I’ll keep smiling:) and hopefully will be more understanding of those that come after me! Guess people will always have their opinion. :dubious: I’ll just grin and bear it. Thanks again for kind words.

I’ve been reading Roy’s extension stretches and have been trying to do 1 x 10secs every couple of hours. It doesn’t sound a lot but I want to build it gradually and see if it affects the aching/pain at night. I have no static bike here in Spain so I need to do something. I’m not very good at keeping things going - another reason I’m starting slow!
 
You don't need to do a lot of exercises. Give your knee a holiday from them as well.
Just your activities while on holiday will be sufficient. Walking is the best exercise of all and it will help with your extension, especially if you lengthen your stride a little.

Make sure that you use the correct heel to toe gait, like this:
[Bonesmart.org] Good Strong Knee - No Bend<
 
I’m at 6 1/2 month’s and still need to ice and elevate and do so at least once a day for 40minutes. My knees still twinge with certain movements. My exercise consists of daily walks. My swelling is much better lately but the elevating and icing feels so good. So I think you are doing great. What gets into people that they have to put you down to make themselves feel good. Sheesh.
 
Ok @Celle i tend to do that already - the exaggerated walking. This is something I enjoy so maybe I’ll stick with this. Just wish my leg would straighten more -by now anyway! Thanks

@mlwreader thanks for encouragement. Feeling a little more positive again. It’s a journey of emotional ups and downs.
 
Your extension will come, but it does sometimes take a while and it's often slower to achieve than flexion.
Don't worry though, because both flexion and extension can continue to improve for a year, or even longer, after a knee replacement.
 
@Celle i know this from all the things I read on Bonesmart! I’ve told others to have faith in this I should take my own advice:) :-) (: it’s just......oh I don’t know.......some days you just wish......things would hurry up :sigh: Thanks Celle hope you’re doing ok.
 
I know. Some days are hard. :console2:

[Bonesmart.org] Good Strong Knee - No Bend<
Hang in there, because things are going to get better.
 
Having a good day today. Enjoying the sun, sand and a paddle in the sea. More than a bit cold to be going any deeper than feet! A little bit of walking a little bit of cleaning. ‘Not a lot else’ is working for me today. Hope everyone else is ok and if not as @Celle says hang in there it will get better.

Quick update on practical side. Still taking 3 10mg zomorph at night 10pm 2am and 6am plus paracetamol as well if needed. Also paracetamol during the day if needed but very rarely. Usually have between 2-6 in 24 hours. Very rarely have all 8. Still icing and elevating 3-4 times a day for 40 mins, maybe once at night. It’s still swollen and swells more if I do too much. Walk downstairs one at a time. Walk upstairs ok but a bit like frankinstein would. I try not to move it to one side but keep straight which means I lift my hip to compensate. I mention stairs as we have none in uk but 2 flights of steps in Spain.
Just over 22 weeks
 
I’ve been reading about cyclists with knee problems changing to short crank arms so that bending and straightening are not as much of an issue.

Has anybody tried it?

Does it work?

Is it easy to do on multi gear bike?

Can it be done with only one pedal or would that feel like walking lobsided?

How much would it cost?

Being here on a break in Spain and not being able to use my bike is not great plus when I get back to the uk with spring coming I would like to get back on my bike there too. My ROM is awful and I cannot do full revolution on my static bike. I’m sure it will come but in the meantime would a short crank help?

I hope I’m posting this in the right place if not I apologise and please feel free to move it.
Let's ask Roy Gardiner. He's the go-to adviser when it comes to cycling.
:) Kind of you to say so, but I don't have any actual qualifications as a cycling advisor; I just ride a bit.

I wouldn't recommend odd length cranks, I can't imagine how that would twist one about!

And I think you're addressing the wrong problem, that it's your ROM you need to continue to work on. You don't really need much to be able to turn bike pedals.
Is it because of the length of time -5yrs- I haven’t been able to straighten so all my tendens n muscles have tightened up?
As Celle has said, yes it is. Stretching will fix this, but you have to do the stretches every day.
I’m still not very good at exercising regularly
I have 2 suggestions. 1) I think it might be advisable to go back to the surgeon for a check over to make sure everything is OK with the knee and that your problems are purely with the soft tissues.
2) Having said that, IMO you need to exercise every day. Not huffing and puffing exercise, but gentle stretches to improve flexion and extension.

If your leg is stiff and swollen then using an exercise bike for training is not a good idea; but you can still use one for mobility exercises.

If you can't make a full rotation:
  • Set the bike to zero resistance
  • Set the saddle as high as possible and rock the pedals back and forth as far as you can with discomfort but no pain
  • Repeat for about two minutes
If you can turn the pedals:
  • Again, set the bike to zero resistance
  • Set the saddle low enough so that a single rotation is a challenge; difficult but not painful. When a rotation becomes easy right from the start, lower the saddle a max of 1cm.
  • Gently turn the pedals, through discomfort but without pain.
  • Continue until the knee is 'warmed up' and the rotation is now easy, or for 2 minutes, whichever is the shorter time.
In either case:
  • Repeat several/many times a day, but don't go mad. Diminishing returns will apply; my guess is that half a dozen reps would be enough
  • Do not pedal fast or for more than 2 minutes, this is a stretching exercise, not training.
  • And if you get any pain or swelling in the 24 hours after doing this, cut it down until you don't
Here is a bit more chat and some pix and how 'healing' and 'training' are different
 
Ok got that @Roy Gardiner and thanks for taking the time and the advice.

I have been doing the toing and froing on the static bike at home albeit not several times a day, just a couple but longer. Will cut down time and up ‘times a day’.

I bought Bob Anderson’s stretching book just before I came away but a bit bulky to bring with us! Took photos of a couple of pages.

I’m not into exercising really apart from walking and cycling. I did do some strengthening exercises before the tkr (that’s how I ended up golfers elbow).

Stretching is all a bit new to me but I will get into it If it’s going to give me back my ROM.

I feel very strongly there is nothing wrong with my knee but there is with all the stuff round it. Thanks again Roy.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom