MUA Good Strong Knee - No Bend<

@Gel-girl, is it possible for you to go to a nearby gym or club that has exercise bikes? One that will let you pay by the session, week or month, not a long-term contract? Test out their bikes before signing. :yes: You could use those adjustable bikes until you get your knee to where you can ride your own the way you need to.
 
Susie has a good idea - if you could find a stationary bike with an adjustable seat - or even put a regular bike on a trainer you could probably get to a full rotation. I was desperate to do a revolution on the bike as cycling is one of my favorite activities so I learned all the cheats: raise the seat or move the seat further from the pedals, point the toes, pedal with the heel, stand up . . . If you can't find a different bike set up, just be patient and keep rocking - it will come.
 
It may not be applicable now, but I have a friend who couldn't cycle after TKR she bought what is called an orthopedals.. They can be used on indoor bikes but not sure what kind. My friend said they have good customer service. She is very happy with them. Rather than try to explain on this message, here is the website:
Orthopedals.com
You WILL cycle one way or another
 
Thanks @SusieShoes kmak81230, Hopetohike. All good ideas. I’m off up north tomorrow to see family. I think my Mum has her bike on a stand to turn it into a static bike. I’m going to see if that works. Only there for a few days but if it works I may look at a pay as you go gym if I can find one. Also look at that website. Oh and @Eeek I think I’m only just 90 and about 15/20. It’s just the bending I find a problem pedalling. I’m still quite swollen too which I guess won’t help. I’ll just keep elevating and icing.
 
@Gel-girl - just a small point: I've edited your post, above, and removed a couple of the tags. The reason why we prefer you not to tag a lot of people like that is because it makes it difficult for people reading the posts on a small mobile device. The list of tags can fill the screen, making it hard to read the actual message. I hope you'll understand.

This article explains about how we prefer you to use tags:
How to tag another member; how to answer when someone tags you
 
No problem editing anything @Celle.

Indoor bike with higher seat works a bit better but I still found my hip lifting and my toe slipping to point down so I think I’ll carry on with my bike till the Rom comes.

I’ve looked at the ortho pedals website. What a brilliant idea. I’m away again in 10 days for a while but reckon I’ll order these when home again. They’ll be useful in the future as well as now I reckon.

Happy cycling
 
Still not cycling:(
I have been to the pain clinic today. Refered from physio through GP about 6 months ago. He was lovely guy who I spent about 40 mins with. He says I have quite extensive nerve damage and suggested gabapentin but when he found out it helped with my nerve pain but not sleeping he eventually came up with amatriptolne 25mg to start up to 75 but that may be too much for day to day living so see how I am at50 and upt the dose in 10mg. All quite slowly every 10 days changing the dose. This he implied was perhaps better than taking Zomorph long term.

He also said I should maybe go back to my surgeon for him to assess. After he examined my knee he then suggested I perhaps get a second opinion as he felt I didn’t look aligned correctly. This was after me stating where the pain was and the weird feelings when he used his pin round my knee.

I am living life well with nothing really difficult apart from still struggling getting down to the toilet, getting up is marginally better, and cycling. Oh and kneeling- I can kneel on my right knee with my tkr one stretched out (Rom still about85) at the back. The knee is on the floor but feels weird as it feel like there’s no nerves there!
 
Warning- long wanderings!
[Bonesmart.org] Good Strong Knee - No Bend<


Decided not to do anything before our yearly family holiday in Weymouth which was last week got back at the weekend. Knee not really a problem as no steps or stairs, a high toilet (!) and lots of walking and pool fun - swimming occasionally with one leg (breaststroke). My adult kids and their husbands n wives were amazed I swam in straight line and not in a circle!!!

I had a session with my osteopath on Monday. She agreed with the pain specialist (see last post) that maybe I should go back to the surgeon as the knee is still quite swollen although it doesn’t get as hot anymore. She thinks I have a couple of tight muscles but nothing major and she agreed with me that nerve damage is inevitable so the comment by the pain specialist of extensive nerve damage was a little nonsensical.

Rang Benenden (private hospital where I had surgery but performed under NHS) but they told me I have to go through the NHS and therefore to ring my GP to be referred to an orthopaedic surgeon. This means I probably won’t see the surgeon who performed the original surgery. So I rang my GP (still Monday) to get an appointment in 2 weeks. Oh well I’ve waited 8 months to be OK another 2 weeks ain’t gonna make a difference.

So the knee is still on the side of moderately swollen, it gets warm but not hot - I still elevate every time I rest and ice-gel once a day for an hour (makes no difference to swelling). I walk fine but still no outdoor cycling. I use my static cycle but have no bend beyond 90 so full rotation is difficult and painful. I feel my extension is better and I don’t get any pain when I try to extend-it just won’t go any further-guess the swelling is the reason. I do still struggle getting down to the toilet if I have nothing to hold onto or it’s normal to low height, when sat my leg is out in front (no bend). I can walk up steps leg over leg by swinging leg out slightly and lifting hip but still walking down steps one at a time.

I walk every day. I spend 5-10 mins per day on static bike, seat high, pedal on heel and leg pointed down lifting hip to accommodate full rotation. I have upped the tension as that doesn’t seem to bother the knee. I still do heel slides using my mini skateboard but this still hurts when I try to go beyond 90 degrees which I very rarely try these days due to pain - I will push to the pain free edge of discomfort. I roll my muscles gently with a rolling pin and a floor roller which feels good. I only do this once a week.

I am now taking 50mg amitriptyline at night and weened myself down to 10mg of zomorph (originally on 30mg). But I’m still waking with pain (mainly aching) so still taking 4-6 paracetamol every night too. The pain/ache though is becoming less. My sleeping felt much better till I compared it to a few months ago (using Fitbit info). My pattern is similar and I have the same amount of light and deep sleep - interesting really as the REM is more now, whatever that means apart from I’m not as awake as much which is a positive!

Sorry this is long but felt I needed to have something to look back on as things happen from now on. I am not expecting any comments but would appreciate any opinions on me seeing an orthopaedic surgeon.
 
This means I probably won’t see the surgeon who performed the original surgery. So I rang my GP (still Monday) to get an appointment in 2 weeks. Oh well I’ve waited 8 months to be OK another 2 weeks ain’t gonna make a difference.
I think that, even under the NHS, you have the right to choose which surgeon you see.

@Josephine, can you confirm that, please?
 
Rang Benenden (private hospital where I had surgery but performed under NHS) but they told me I have to go through the NHS and therefore to ring my GP to be referred to an orthopaedic surgeon. This means I probably won’t see the surgeon who performed the original surgery.
If you had the surgery on the NHS but at Benenden, then you should have rung the NHS hospital, not the clinic. They would have nothing to do with booking appointments or follow-ups.

So yes, since your surgery was a goodly while ago, you do need to start again with the GP referral. I think it unlikely you will be given to another surgeon but if you are, just ring the NHS hospital and ask to speak to your surgeon's secretary. There's a good chance she will be able to get your appointment moved to her surgeon.
 
Brilliant- thanks for that info Celle and Josephine. I will see what happens. Watch this space but not for a short while! :-)
 
Got my GP appointment on Monday so will know more about which avenue I will be taking.

Just to clarify. The Hospital is called Benenden which is private and the surgeon is at Benenden but I had the surgery on the NHS. Confusing I know but it will be interesting to see how the GP handles it. Luckily I am seeing the same one who did my e-referral (I think that’s what they’re called) to the hospital in the first place.

Also anyone out there can change my thread to Gelly’s recovery thread. Thanks.
 
Saw original GP that did my e-referral. She was brilliant. Put my 50mg and 10mg Amatriptyline on repeat. Took off my Zomorph- not taking any now. The Amatriptyline 60mg is taking me through the night with only 2 paracetamol at around 2-4pm when the knee starts aching.

She agreed it would be good to have an x-ray which I did. Wish I’d asked for a copy!

She is also organising an e-referral to original surgeon at Benenden and a referral through the nhs system too in case the e-referral doesn’t work. Either way it’s going to be a long wait.

I feel my knee is healing and I have less pain when I extend it although it still won’t go less than about +10. I try every day to bend my knee but that pain is still there and extension is sometimes worse than 90 -more like 100 to 110. I am still moderately swollen and elevating and icing doesn’t seem to bring it down. I still do it though. I still walk up stairs lifting my hip although not as noticeable as it was. I still walk one at a time down steps trying once in a while to do foot over foot but it’s too painful. I ride my indoor bike,?every day now, for five minutes with foot down, pedal on heel and hip lifting. I have also built up the tension. If I do 10 minutes it really aches after and I have to take a couple of paracetamol.

I am walking really well now with no limp. I walk 8 to 10 thousand steps every day - throughout the day and sometimes more. I even got to 17K one day. This is fine and does not seem to cause any aching or pain. I walk at a fair pace too about 3-4 m/h.

I’ve been trying to lose weight to help but that hasn’t worked so far. I like my food too much!

All in all things are good I just wish I could bend this knee without the excruciating pain I get when I do.

That’s my update. Next one when I see a surgeon.
 
No not seen surgeon yet! Not even had a letter or phone call with an appointment guess it’s a waiting game. I know I’m in the system as the specialist physio that injected my golfers elbow thought I’d been referred for my knee but could see it was a referral to an orthopaedic consultant.

Just wanted to do an update as knee seems to be getting stronger.

I’m am taking 60 mg of Amitriptyline now. I’m getting a fairly good nights sleep only waking once with aching and down to one or two paracetamol per 24 hours.

I am a bit worried about taking such a high dose of Amitriptyline due to the connection to higher possibility of dementia.

I am still swollen constantly but it doesn’t get any worse as the day goes on. It also doesn’t seem to go down either even though I still ice and elevate every day for at least an hour. I’ve stopped doing it more than once a day as it doesn’t seem to make any difference.

Still can’t straighten it or bend it beyond 90 without pain. I have tried pushing beyond the uncomfortable stage to the pain stage for seconds at a time but pain can be very tiring even for a small amount of time and seems to affect my knee by aching later in the day or when I lay down to sleep at night.

I did manage to find a pay as you go gym to try the different bikes. The problem was to get a stretch (eg no painful bend) I have the seat higher which means a spot of chafing where one doesn’t want a spot of chafing so it was back to my own bike and the strange technique of pedal on heel and toe pointing down to get ful rotation. I can live with that for the time being.

If I could just bend and straighten the leg to ‘live life’ I would be very happy. It will happen I’m sure.

I have been on Amitriptyline for 2 months now. I built up the dosage as directed till I had a good nights sleep and have stuck with 60 mg. Question is should I be reducing down slowly to see if my pain has gone or sticking at 60 while the goings good?
 
I’ve been getting groin pain at top of ltkr. Seems to get worse late afternoon and I rarely wake up with it-just once! Only last couple of weeks it’s been happening. Is it anything to do with knee and why now?
 
I had some groin pain later in my recovery, also. It went away by itself after a short while. I didn’t understand it either. It only happened when putting my leg up on my ottoman, or stepping into my shorts.
 
Gel-girl, have you considered that the level of activity you're doing right now with a knee that's in pain may be contributing to continuation of that pain and swelling? If you're walking 8,000-10,000 steps a day at 3-4 miles per hour plus a 5 minute bike ride with tension, you likely are doing more than your knee is prepared for at this time.

I suggest that, until you get an opinion as to why you're having pain that you slow down the walking to no more that 5,000 steps in th 2-3 mile per hour range and see if that makes a difference in your pain. It's quite normal not to feel pain right at the time of the exercise. It usually does come later in the day or even the next day. So I think you're incorrectly assessing this exercise as "no pain" when in fact it is causing you problems.

Hope you get in to see the doctors soon.
 
@Jamie I have slowed down the walking speed (not stopped the amount though) only use the cycle every other day with no resistance again, as the cycling brings on the pain due to bending the knee.

The walking does not cause ‘pain’ just ache at night but the Amitriptyline helps with that and if I do wake a paracetamol or two soon works. Besides walking makes me feel normal!!!

The reason for seeing a OS is the real pain when I bend beyond uncomfortable and when I straighten beyond uncomfortable and the oh the aching after. It puts me off doing any stretches either way as I have not gained any flexion or extension. My best now is 90 and 20 and at worst 80 20.

It’s not getting me down it’s just so frustrating still having to walk up steps with a hip lift and down toddler style. Not being able to get down on the floor without a low seat to help or a strange manoeuvre if I’m in a field or on a beach! The biggest frustration is not being able to cycle out and about.

Sorry to vent Jamie but I feel better now thank you so much for listening.

No sign of OS appointment but I reckon that’ll not materialise for another couple of months or so.
 
This is a good place to vent. No one else understands as much as those who have gone through it themselves!
I'm hanging out for when I can walk and cycle again!!!
Hang in there Gel Girl - you've managed a lot in the time since your op. Hopefully the OS comes through for you soon!
 

Members online

Back
Top Bottom