Guest viewing is limited

TKR Good grief, it's Gort!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bit of a bad night, then slept over this morning which made me late taking my painkillers! :gaah: So, decided that today is going to be an ice,rest & elevate day. Hubby geared up for cooking the roast (with a little guidance) & step son geared for hot cross bun making! How are all my bonesmartie friends this fine Easter Sunday? How many forgot to put their clocks back? (I did!) :rotfl: :heehee: :loll:
 
Happy Easter Alison! I am so glad to hear that you managed one good night of sleep. I hope that more are in your future.

You're recovery seems to be going so very well. I find it quite interesting to compare our stories since we share the same surgery day (although I am careful not to compare our progress, knowing each knee has it's own agenda!).

So happy your Gort is allowing you to do some strengthening on the cross trainer. Do be careful not to over do it though. How did your attempt at stairs go? Did you feel safe enough with the help of the banister? I don't blame you for not feeling ready for going down quite yet.

Sounds like you have a wonderful Easter planned with plenty of family support surrounding you. I'm sure the roast and the hot cross buns will taste all the more delicious since they were prepared by the love of family.

I hope you feel a bit better after your slower start this morning. I need to get myself moving and stretching now that my morning meds have had a chance to work their magic.

Enjoy your Easter today and remember to rest and ice as needed throughout the day. I love the idea of movie and chocolate in the evening, we may just need to follow suit here!
 
Good evening my chocolate filled chum,
Your exercises sound like a lot to me for someone who is not quite two weeks out from surgery.
You are doing brilliantly.
Good for you trying the stairs. When I did them at first I only did them early in the day. It does get easier with perseverance and practice.
I found coming down much harder and it took me longer to manage that. I would suggest leaving it a while before you work on the descent.
I hope you managed your stroll with the dogs, I am sure you would all enjoy it.
I went for a walk to a friends house to deliver some Easter eggs this morning. My husband came with me most of the way there and I walked home alone. Woo hoo.
After a rest, ice and lunch I went out with my husband this afternoon and we did our river walk again, no crutch. I find I am mainly carrying it. I did take it this morning when I was walking alone.
I am tired and a bit stiff tonight but happy. Hopefully I am building stamina. I will see what the physio says on Tuesday.
I also finished my jumper today, I am wearing it now, I am really pleased with it.
All in all a good day.
Hope everyone else has had a good day too,
Hugs,
Toothfairy x :egypdance: :happydance: :yay: :flwrysmile:
 
Hi TF, yes you're probably right about me trying too much too soon! We pay the price, we learn, we move on! :doh: Didn't manage the walk with hubby today, MIL sort of puts spanner in proverbial works! :umm: Will try & get out tomorrow, the weather appears to be clearing, despite remaining bitterly cold! :yikes: Just a walk around the block would be good, though I hope to get to the pet shop too! :bow: Great that you've finished your jumper! Bet it feels smashing to wear it & to stave off the chill! Any more baking planned? I may dig out my bread machine & cheat :whistle: :heehee: I'm so glad you've had a good day, here's hoping we all have a splendid Easter Monday!! :puppysmooze:
 
Bread machine is not cheating in my book, I have one too and love it!
Have a great day tomorrow, keep smiling even through gritted teeth.
I have not worn my jumper in anger yet, just had a little try on as I only finished it a little while ago.
I will wear it tomorrow. We will now probably have a heat wave! Here is hoping,
Night night,
TF x :puppysmooze:
 
Hi TF, yes you're probably right about me trying too much too soon! We pay the price, we learn, we move on! :doh:
How true---we get to feeling pretty good and then get a little bit frisky too soon, and learn our lesson! (Well, for me, there were a few lessons!) Just file it away as wisdom now and ice, elevate, rest, and know that things will work out!
 
Hi Alison, lovely to read your post, you certainly bring a smile to my day. Glad to hear you're doing so well. It's only been 2 weeks you have to remember that. Toothfairy is a great inspiration, look at that girl go!!! We'll all get there in our own time. Patience is going to be my greatest learning curve. I am doing not too badly thanks. Sleeping quite well, although body clock is waking me to take pain meds so I can't complain at that. My leg still a dead weight, just cannot get the muscle to lift the leg, so have to manually do it. Manage most of the exercises, even the gentle squats, but the leg lift nah!! All this talk of hot X bunnies, and what am I sitting here eating after craving for a few days - chilli flavoured Kettle crisps. Anyone would think I was pregnant :shocked:!!! Surely its not the new knee talking!! Anyway, enjoying the moment. Chilli chips in the day, chocolate at night - what's going on here?? Have a great day. Jenny :puppysmooze:​
 
Good morning Jetthugger, hope the sandman visited in the night and sent some zzzz's your way.
Run if you hear the word bed bath. Does MIL go home soon?
Dig out that bread maker and enjoy the wonderful smell of fresh baked bread. Yummy.

Hi Jenny kimejen please don't worry about that leg lift, you are only a week after your op, very early days indeed. It will come in time. You are doing a great job and recovering well.

I expect the chilli chips and chocolate are the compensation your body is demanding in recompense for the trauma you have put it through.
Don't fight the cravings, this is a time to sit back and enjoy and indulge yourself while your body heals and your new knee settles in.

I find it amazing that anyone would find me inspiring. Most of the time I am sitting and resting and icing, I just have short blasts of activity when I check out what my new and special knee can do and I must say I am very pleased with it.
I find this forum so supportive and don't know what I would have done without it.

Have a great day both of you,
Hugs,
Toothfairy x :egypdance:
 
See? Rested yesterday, what I would typically call a duvet day, & Hey Presto! Good nights sleep! :wink: I'm not going to leap to any conclusions (leap? :rotfl: Limp more like!) but will experiment today & tomorrow. Today I will take it easy again, a minute only on bike & - cross trainer & then i will follow the mantra (2 week anniversary folks!!! :yes!: ) then see if tonight I sleep..... :what: :sleep: Then tomorrow, it's my beautiful ex mum in laws funeral :boohoo: & I very much want to go, so it will be my first major expedition into the world since having my staples out. will report back on quality & quantity of sleep after that. Hmmmmm bonesmartie experiments.... Muhahahaha!!!! :whistle: :heehee: :loll: :snork:
 
I find it amazing that anyone would find me inspiring. Most of the time I am sitting and resting and icing, I just have short blasts of activity when I check out what my new and special knee can do and I must say I am very pleased with it.
I find this forum so supportive and don't know what I would have done without it.

Have a great day both of you,
Hugs,
Toothfairy x

Really Toothfairy? Your upbeat updates, even when you've had a fall, are positive & shiny & give us all (especially me) something to aspire to. So yes, I wholeheartedly agree with kimejen about you being an inspiration!
:puppysmooze:
Hope you're right about that heat wave, would be ****'s law for wearing your jumper, but I'm sure you'd be ok with it!! :heehee:
 
Hi Jetthugger,
Thank you. :)
Hooray for a good nights sleep.
Two weeks, it really flies by doesn't it, you have made so much progress already. Congratulations on your two week anniversary. :cheers: :martini:
I really hope you manage to you to your ex MIL funeral, that would mean so much to you, sounds like you should be good to go.
Even if you need to have a few quiet days after and up the pain meds it will be worth it. Well your husband take you or will someone else collect you?
Have a lovely cosy resting day today, hugs, Toothfairy x :SUNsmile:
 
Jethugger - sounds like you and I are getting on about the same - I think at the moment I have two main thoughts 1. I didn't really realise how much hard work recovery would be and 2. Despite of (or because of) the hard work I am really quite excited that the improvement my knee and life will get from having a TKR makes me really happy i have had it done and I am so looking forward to an active pain free life
 
Good morning Jetthugger,
I am thinking about you today, hope your ex MIL's funeral goes well. It is a lovely sparkly morning here, hoping it is the same with you.
Take care, Toothfairy x :)
 
Just back from funeral, was good to see so many familiar faces, but very sad circumstances. :boohoo: Gort did marvellously, so the reward is rest,ice, elevate! :umm: Hubby must've had guilty feelings about my puny egg, so stopped at a lovely Indian sweet shop & bought me a box of mixed barfi mmmm :happydance: ! So munching away & watching telly! Will not do too many exercises today, as all the getting up & sitting down in church wore me out!! :groan: How are all of my bonesmartie buddies? :puppysmooze: :friends:
 
OK-I've got to ask: What is 'Barfi'? Where I come from, barf is vomit, so I need an explanation.

So pleased to hear how well you are doing! I hope spring is showing itself and you can get out. I am still looking at snow and yet another day that won't get above freezing. Grrrrr.
 
:heehee: I suppose stateside, you may not yet have the overwhelmingly different cultures all coming together! :shocked: Apologies, I assumed everyone was familiar with Indian (not native American, but native Bangladesh/Pakistan type Indian) food. Barfi is an Indian sweet, (not hurlling!) :rotfl: & looks a bit like coconut ice, or soft fudge & is absolutely moreish! There's also gulab jaman, jilabi & kulfi (ice cream) where I live in the midlands,we're lucky to have several indian, Chinese, Italian, Thai, Japanese, American, French & Indonesian restaurants! do you have this sort of choice in Minnesota? I must admit to total ignorance of your state!! You could google these, or go find a curry house local you you & see what they can rustle up for you... It's worth it!! How's your shiny new knee BTW? :friends: Hope the weather clears for you so you an at least get out! It's freezing here, but bright sunshine, ahhhhh!!
 
Thanks for the lesson on Barfi! It sounds DELIGHTGUL! I live in a rural community--actually my husband is an organic farmer (both dairy and crops)--so we don't really live in a town. The nearest towns have populations of about 2,000 with largely Scandinavian heritage. We need to travel at least an hour to get anything more 'ethnic' than a breakfast burrito or plate of chow mien.

My shiny new knee is doing very well. It is approaching it's one month anniversary. PT is going well and I am starting to get out and about more. That has done so much for my emotional recovery.

The sun is bright and beautiful here as well, but we have had snow since November. Looking for spring...
 
Hi Jetthugger,
I am pleased to hear you are sitting with your feet up having a treat. You deserve it.
I haven't heard of barfi either, nor gulab jaman or jilabi. We do have Indian restaurants here but nowhere that I know of selling Indian sweets. Sounds intriguing.
Enjoy.
Toothfairy x
 
Well, I'm a fully paid up member of the overdid it club! Got the card, badge & voters rights!! :shocked: Wouldn't have missed the funeral, so I suppose it was a price I was willing to pay :boohoo: Onto 3rd cosy (2nd failed & being unravelled) & crocheted myself a little bag to hold my wool balls in. Going to have another duvet day tomorrow (for my Aussie bonesmarties that's a dooner day (or is it dunny? Need to get that right as one is a loo!!!) :rotfl: May have a couple of minutes on cross trainer & bike, also tackling going upstairs better & trying normal limp-free walking? Other than that it's crochet crochet crochet!!!! Yay!! Here's hoping you all had a better day !! :puppysmooze:
 
Good morning Jetthugger,
In years to come you will forget your bad night but won't regret going to the funeral
You are doing a fine job of expanding my vocabulary!

'doona day n. a day taken off from work for relaxation or idleness. Editorial Note: As indicated in the citations, synonyms include mental health day, duvet day, sickie (in Australia), and the uncommon eiderdown day. Etymological Note: Doona is trademarked brand in Australia now well on its way to becoming a generic term there for any duvet or down quilt. '

'Dunny or dunny can is Australian slang for toilet, either the room or the specific fixture, especially an outhouse or other outdoor toilets. It is often used to specify a distinction between a flushing toilet and a non-flushing toilet (e.g., a longdrop or thunderbox). First used in print in 1952, the word is believed to be derived from the much older 'dunnakin' (also spelled 'dunnigin' and 'dunegan')[1] meaning privy.'

That is my learning for today!
Hope you can leave the Overdid it club today, enjoy your duvet day and catch up on some zzzz's.
Toothfairy x :egypdance: :happydance: :yay:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom