Guest viewing is limited

TKR Good grief, it's Gort!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Alison. WOW hitting Costco for a few hours is amazing. Did you use crutches or a walking stick to help you get around. Would have been a nice feeling getting out into the world for a little while. I feel very housebound at the moment. Hubby sprung me out in the back garden giving the plants a watering. Like I told him I felt supported by the walker and it wasn't a huge effort and I so enjoyed just being out in the fresh air enjoying the day. Take care. so lovely to see how well you're doing. Jenny :SUNsmile:
 
Hi Jenny, I used my stick & the trolley for support & I generally only use my cane when outside. Thank you all for your encouraging words, slid back a bit yesterday, took sleeping pill Saturday night so slept till 9.30 Sunday, which put me out for taking meds, so spent the day trying to play catch up! Failed miserably & decided no sleeping pill last night, so spent a very restless night! :yikes: Hope to remedy that today by taking it easy, just gentle exercise & lots of mantra stuff! :mcoffee: May watch an old movie while carrying on with my crocheting & drink loads of tea! Hope you all had a far better night & are enjoying your relaxing recovery! :ok: I certainly have been perplexed by just how idle ths recovery makes you! :whistle: Made a plum crumble yesterday just to feel like I was still here & functioning!! Took it to my friends as pud for her lovely Sunday dinner, lasted 3 hours there, but I was totalled by 8pm so came home! :groan: Onwards & upwards, my bonesmartie friends! Today will be better than yesterday & tomorrow will be better still! Big hugs to all! :puppysmooze: :friends:
 
Hi Jetthugger,
Hope you are enjoying that relaxing day. Plum crumble sounds yummy.
I know exactly what you mean about ' how idle this recovery makes you'
I am sitting with my feet up looking at a pile of ironing(small) and trying to motivate myself to do it.
I have read all my work paperwork about the job cuts etc today so I am worn out.
Time for another cuppa, did I hear you put the kettle on? White and no sugar please. :heehee:
Hope your today is better than yesterday etc,
Hugs, Toothfairy x :egypdance:
 
That plum crumble sounds delicious indeed! All I've managed to make myself is my daily cup of tea. I'm sure that once my live in help (my father) goes home tomorrow morning, I will begin to be much more productive in the kitchen - or maybe I'll just start enjoying a bowl of cereal for my morning and afternoon meals. :)

Sorry to hear you missed your midnight meds, but am happy (and jealous) that you slept so long and so deeply! Now if we can just marry the two - sleeping well and taking medicine that would be wonderful!!

Glad to hear you are down to a cane some times. I am not yet there, but my PT would rather me have a proper gate with the crutches (what I think you call sticks) before weaning down. I can take steps without much support, or minimal support, but they are NOT pretty. I'm pretty stiff today so I can really feel my lack of extension when walking today.

Off to PT - where I play to take it much easier than Friday! Have a great day!
 
Hi guys, Sarah, it just goes to show that no two recoveries are alike. Hope you have a good PT session. I am just using a walking stick (cane) was not given crutches at all & my PT took me off the walker after 10 paces at the hospital. :yikes: I only use my cane now if I go any distance & it's more for psychological support than anything. I'm driving now, (auto, so doesn't affect my left knee, as UK is right hand drive) so most of my pt is done by mogging around garden centres & supermarkets! :whistle: :heehee:
Toothfairy, I must be looking at exactly the same pile of ironing!!! :rotfl: Got the dreaded outlaw visit Friday & Saturday (why she needs two days is beyond me!!?) :gaah: :headbang: But, in an attempt to make the most of it, I've strategically placed the ironing board & her sons shirts (he has loads of them!!) so that should she offer, I will grudgingly accept :angel: . Will then just have to scrub the scorch stains off my iron afterwards! :hissy: :hairpulling:
I've also taken a wager with my step-son on how many times she offers to give me a bed-bath. :shocked: I think the upper thirties is likely, Jack seems to be leaning higher!!! :loll: :snork:
Took the dogs round the block with hubby this morning for a short walk, took it slow & steady & felt really good!
Are we able to swim at three weeks? I know we can't take a bath until six weeks out, showering is ok, but i am vague on swimming pools? :what: can anyone help?
Have a great day all my bonesmartie friends, hopefully it's gonna be warm (ish) this weekend!!!!! :SUNsmile: :SUNsmile: :egypdance: :happydance: :spin: :puppysmooze:
 
Hi Jetthugger, driving, garden centres, wow, you are doing marvellously. :bow:
I hope your ironing pile gets tackled for you. I did mine, didn't take long at all as it was only tiddly.
Bad news about the threat of more bed baths...... :heehee:
Good news about the dog walking. Slow and steady wins the day.
My understanding about swimming pools is that it is the same as baths, once your incision is 100% sealed you can bath and swim but not before due to the possible risk of infection.
I am really keen to get to the pool but still have a tiny bit about 1mm at the top of my incision which still has a tiny scab.
I am (im)patiently waiting for it to close.
Hope you are having a great day too, hugs, Toothfairy x :dancy: :yay:
 
Took the woofs round the lake with hubby this afternoon :happydance: (well, that's an exaggeration, I walked a third of the way up one side of the lake, hubby carried on & I doubled back with Baggy, my 12 year old faithful woof & walked a horseshoe round the other side of the lake & up a third of the way again & sat on a bench to wait for hubby & Loki my pharaoh hound to arrive.) :whistle:
Still was out a full half hour & felt better for it, that's on top of making lunch, doing some ironing & stripping & washing my bedclothes!! :shocked:
Having a rest, ice & elevate now, catching up on some threads & will do a bit more of my blanket. :angel:
The weather finally seems to be improving!! :yes!:
Hope all of my fellow bonesmarties are having a wonderful day! :puppysmooze:
 
It is soooooo nice to get out isn't it - I'm done the same a couple of times I even went to the supermarket with OH and kids - I did no actual shopping just wandered round the clothes and gifts etc. Although it is only three weeks out for us I do feel that I have been stuck at home for ages!

And as for ironing I NEVER thought I would be pleased to be able to do some ironing! Lol this feeling won't last long!

Let's hope the weather continues to being good enough to get out safely.
 
Yes, it would be nice to have good weather at last! Glad your out & about, Shortie. I got so much cabin fever going on that hanging washing on my clothesline is enjoyable!!! :heehee:
 
Ok, so yesterday's activities made me a fully paid up member of the ODiC, together with waving banners & a mariachi band!!! :groan:
Just tried too hard yesterday to be normal, going out to the supermarket, walking a bit of the lake, standing & doing a (smallish) stack of ironing, cooking lunch & tea, making beds etc... All paid towards full membership! Was even speculating about returning to work at six weeks & attempted walking downstairs (normally, foot over foot) a few times. (i was on a roll, feeling good & strong & getting some good bendsout of gort!) :shrug: Oh boy!! Did I pay for it last night!!! :yikes:
Gort was not a happy bunny :gaah: :headbang: & defied the sleeping pills to ensure that I knew it!!! :mcoffee:
So today,back to my crochet blanket, drinking tea, reading etc....
I am meeting friends for coffee...... :cheers: But will risk the wrath of Gort for an hour in possible sunshine ? :bow:
How are my bonesmarty friends? Fernie & Toothfairy how are you guys doing with your ODIC membership? Or are you being good & resting? :whistle:
Shortie I hope that all of your supermarket visits & outings don't land you in the Over Did It Club!!! If it does, I will have a G & T waiting for you :martini: :rotfl:
 
Alison, that was quite a day you had yourself! Clearly you are trying to get my Wonder woman status as well :heehee:

Its so hard, today, I've done a couple of light chores and baked a cake and I'm in pain and icing and elevating and this is at 9 weeks. My friend calle earlier, she had tkr 13 years ago and still get stiff leg and pain from time to time, says twill be several months before i can do a normal day in peace, :gaah: :tantrum: :cry:.

Its time to dig deep and accept that the mantra is the only way....:bow:

Make mine a large Hendrix and c u in ODIC later!

Fx :flwrysmile:
 
Forgot to say, it's going back to work which has done me, next week I get to add school runs as well, lucky me!

Sorry you didn't sleep, Gort sulking, clearly.

Enjou your coffee with your friends, but get back home to the crochet soon !

I feel like I've aged 40 years! :rotfl: Take care and look after yourself today.
 
jetthugger don't think I am in the overdiddit club today as I only usually manage one outing a day but after having not slept at all well last (partly due to daughter having friend over for a sleepover or more technically a wakeover) and being up and out for 9.20 am to take dog to vets for booster jabs I may take you up on the G & T :martini: cheers! Mind you I have spent the last 2 hours asleep on the sofa to catch up though :heehee:
I hope you manage to have a catch up with sleep too and have a couple of days in the under did it club (UDiC) or the just about got it right today club (JAGiRTC) mind you not sure if I have managed a perfect JAGiRTC day yet!
 
Alison, sorry to hear that you are paying for your busy day yesterday. Gort has definitely spoken. I hope today brings you rest, ice and many cat naps! :friends:
It's so hard to know when to stop, especially when we are are not feeling bad during the activity. All you can do now is hang your head, bow to Gort and feed him lots of ice and pain medication in apology.
 
Hi jetthugger , sorry to hear about your ODIC membership. We all seem to go there despite the clear warnings to avoid its seductive membership offers. Those salespersons are so crafty and just reel us on in!
I am not surprised hearing about all the things you did yesterday. I hope Gort the Golden in a Strop has reverted to being Gort the Good today.
How is the crochet coming along?
I am now the proud owner of a shiny new crochet hook but have not been brave enough to try and wield it yet.
Hope you enjoyed the sunshine and coffee.
Hi Shortie , I love your alternative clubs, I don't think I have ever been in the UDiC and cannot imagine ever getting an invite. I will try hard(? Contradiction) to get an invite to the JAGiRTC. Tricky club to get into that one, you have to be master of the fine balancing act.
Fernie cake, delicious. Can we all come to tea at yours?
Glad you have some time to recover from work before you have to go back.
Adding in after school clubs next week is going to be tricky, any chance of some other mums helping you out a bit?.
Take care my friends. I am not keeping up with posts as have had a busy couple of days.
Will try to catch up soon,
Hugs, Toothfairy x :SUNsmile: :bicycle2: :flwrysmile:
 
Well, after a night that had Gort struggling furiously with the sleeping pills, I am again in bed. I have pampered Gort, iced, elevated, gone out for a gentle stroll around a garden centre, with a nice cup of tea & an outrageously overpriced lemon meringue for lunch :shocked: And finished with n afternoon workingon my blanket (which is now about 4' by 4') :ok: I have been practising walking up & downstairs normally though I still manage to look like a complete gimpoid by the end of the day :groan:
Haven't partaken of the sleeping draught tonight, am leaving Gort to settle after a fairly restful day and in anticipation of a furious backlash from tomorrows PT session :rotfl: :yikes: :loll:
Luckily, hubby is taking me for a pub lunch on the way back, I'm not sure how tramadol gets on with alcohol, but may not be able to resist an ice cold Crabbies!!! :whistle:
Hope that you all swing by the UDIC of Shortie especially Fernie who will be running a marathons next, a child under each arm, no doubt!!! :rotfl: :heehee:
Toothfairy don't be afraid of the hook!make the hook your friend & you will do wondrous things together!! :heehee: :thumb:
 
Up and downstairs normally :yikes: well done! I can manage up normally just but down is well off!

Re tramadol and alcohol be very careful I have from bitter experience suffered the most horrible hangover from a glass of wine with tramadol - to be fair I do steer clear of tramadol as it does make me quite spaced out (I have oxynorm instead now) but there is "an enhanced hypotensive and sedative effect when taken with alcohol" warning with tramadol - sorry to be a killjoy but really don't want you falling over x
 
Hi again, Alison, yoUr post made me laugh out loud, don't know where you imagine me running marathons, honestly, I'm just bobbing and bimbling about my day, trying to get stuff done always stressing about my diet and that I have to shift 50lb (put on in last 3 years since knee ops started...) before summer hols :rotfl:.

I seriously cannot See me in the UDIC any time soon, life is only going to get busier. Knee still aches and is stiff, exercises are getting sooo dull but I'm looking forward to my pool PT on Sunday. Hoping I can swim a bit more, leg feels very detached and heavy (that'll be the lemon cake :heehee:) when I tried last week.

Im still rubbish on the stairs and look like a crazy person. I can't wait til I'm running up and down again. Sigh. :bicycle2:

Bike calling, have a tour team to whip into shape! Plus a world to save now that Toothfairy has given me super hero status! No doubt she is knitting with her feetup! :rotfl:

Wonder Woman
aka Fernie
 
Alison, how did Gort manage last evening? I hope you were able to get some sleep. Way to go on the stairs! I am so very impressed with you and Shortie for your success with stairs. I hope to be joining you soon - just waiting on my knee to decide it's ready.
Hope you have a wonderful day and you can keep busy without going over board. :tada:
 
Just back from PT / pub lunch. Physio gave me a gold star & signed me off. I have 125 rom & 0 extension, so I'm happy! :happydance: :egypdance: :dancy: :spin: :yay:
Had zero sleep last night!! :mcoffee:
Back to crochet, ice & elevate this afternoon! The physio said I must have worked really hard to get good rom, I said actually no, told her about the bonesmartie mantra & said just rest & gentle exercise did it for me, she was surprised! :shocked:
TBH, when I go to sleep, Gort automatically assumes my pre-op foetal position, which does most of the work for me.
Hope you guys are all having a good day! :puppysmooze: Shortie, had a peroni before I read your post! Luckily, I haven't fallen over yet (hic!) :beer: tasted divine though!!! :whistle: :martini: :heehee:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom