Guest viewing is limited

TKR Good grief, it's Gort!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks Alison. I'm thinking I might do a little "to do list" for while I'm in hospital, as there are so many things I do which hubby wouldn't even think of. I know he'll do good, I'll just have to learn to be patient with him doing things. It's certainly a big learning curve. We watched the video together and I asked him if he was prepared for me being out of action for quite sometime. I told him it would impact on him hugely not only in our business but home too. He is at least prepared. We'll see how we go. Thanks for your support. Take care. You're doing a great job, with a good few laughs along the way. Good on you. Take care. Jenny:)​
 
Alison, I am so pleased with how upbeat you sound in your posts! I'm not sure if I'm ready to say that it's easier being on this side of surgery yet however. I did just about drive myself crazy with all the what-ifs and scenarios that could go wrong. That said, I'll say it's not any less work (nor less overthinking) on this side of things. :whistle: I certainly do not regret this surgery, but it has certainly thrown me for a loop or too.

I've had my share of crying fits too - thank goodness for this site or my husband and I would be concerned that I was in over my head.

I know exactly what you mean about getting your best bend while sitting on the toilet. :heehee: Not only am I there enough for practice (drinking plenty of water these days), but it helps pass the time while waiting for you know what....:rotfl:

I am enjoying the meals in bed routine as well. Last night my husband made the most delicious beef tips, Parmesan risotto, and roasted asparagus for dinner. It was fantastic!! I wonder what I should order for breakfast. :heehee:

I am having quite a hard time reading (and retaining) the information while still taking so many pain relievers so I must admit I am not quite caught up on the threads I had planned to be. I hope that all my friends (in the US and across the pond) are doing quite well and are in good spirits.
 
Hi Jetthugger,
Good morning. You do make me laugh with your U bends. You sound great, really chirpy. Sounds like you have your husband well and truly sussed. I know what you mean about letting go of your normal standards. You just have to let them do things their way and be grateful that they are doing it. I do remember to thank my husband regularly and tell him what a good job he is doing. I have to keep him sweet as we have to do this a second time!
I am juggling with increasing activity and increasing pain and swelling. Trying to find a balance but it is trial and error. I usually find that mornings are my best time for doing any jobs after I have had a slow start, stretched and iced. I can then do a bit of cooking or put some laundry on etc then retire to my comfy recliner for some rest. As the day goes on I do get a bit stiffer. I go up and down stairs more now and generally wander about more. I have not been out for any more walks as the weather has been so foul, very wet and windy and very cold.
It is three weeks today. I feel I have come a long way but there is still a very long journey before I am anything like normal.
Jetthugger I suggest you cover that exercise bike over so it is out of sight for a while yet.
I am still using mine each day but still just for a very short time, mainly just stretching which feels nice and a few backwards rotations. Only up to 4 so far so it is slow progress.
Have a great day and be very kind to yourself, you deserve it!
Toothfairy x :egypdance: :bicycle2:
 
Alison your posts do make me chuckle. Its lovey to have a sense of humour like yours in the first few weeks. You certainly need it. Husbands are a breed on their very own. Mine like yours saw a very neat not very big plaster on my knee and wondered what all the fuss was about. Thank heaven I had my daughters. Only last week we went to visit his mum in hospital. Parked in a disabled bay. There was a huge grass verge at the back, very slippy cos it had been raining and he auctually turned round and said "Youre ok to climb up there arent you save walking round" I was speechless and kept a very tight hold on my cane. My daughter said Dad i couldnt climb up there never mind Mum. He couldnt understand why I wouldnt at least try. Keep on with your funny posting. I look forward to them. You seem to be doing really well on the rollercoaster ride. Hold on tight and keep going.
 
I'm still struggling with leg lifts & extensions (which TBH I struggled with beforehand too) which means I dread the physio !! Any tips? :what:
 
jetthugger I've moved your post into your own thread as you were in danger of derailing Leslie's thread. It's just good 'netiqette' y'know! Hope you don't mind.

As for your query, do remember you are barely one week out of surgery so should even really be trying those activities. Nobody is able to do leg lifts and extensions until about week 3 or 4. Leave it another week or ten days and then try every other day. As things get on with the healing, then your muscles will start to heave a sigh of relief and give some thought to things like that. In other words, don't worry about it. Everything will come in time.
 
Thank you Josephine I am so glad it's not me failing as it hurts so much to do, a real sharp pain in the kneecap!! Not having a good day today as I really did try & get my leg to lift & extend ready for the SWATT gents arrival tomorrow!! Pain meds just don't seem to be alleviating it either!! Apologies for hijacking the other thread, I do some of my updates when I can't sleep in the early hours of the morning, so can get confused about whose thread I'm on!! I'm tempted to swap my paracetamol for cocodamol this next dose time, leaving the tramadol till nighttime. Do you think that is wise? I'm taking 1000mg paracetamol. 200mg ibuprofen& usually 50mg tramadol in my 12noon & 5pm doses :puppysmooze:
 
I'm tempted to swap my paracetamol for cocodamol this next dose time, leaving the tramadol till nighttime. Do you think that is wise? I'm taking 1000mg paracetamol. 200mg ibuprofen& usually 50mg tramadol in my 12noon & 5pm doses
What are you actually prescribed? What does it say on the pharmacist's label?
 
Alison, I too am having significant pain in my new knee cap. I think it's because I started a stretch where I lay on my belly across my bed allowing my mid calves to hang off the bed. This allows me to start to use my hamstrings, as well as work on a gentle ROM extension and flexion stretch with assistance of the other leg. While laying on my incision feels strange (lots of numbness still) it really doesn't hurt. However, since I added those to my regular exercises, my knee cap has been burning and it also is untouched by meds. I am going to stop those prone stretches for day or two to see if I find any difference.

I couldn't agree more regarding the husbands. I tend to like my house tidy and with 2 children and my husband it's almost a full time job for me regularly. While I'm recovering I've shared with him, I get a bit embarrassed when family or friends come to see me and have to see the house in such a state but honestly I've left it at that. I could beg or nag, but I need to remember that not only am I a patient, but I'm also a wife and while he is not in the physical pain I am in, he is not having much fun right now either.

Keep up with the positive attitude and joking nature and time will fly by (I hope)!
 
I've got a bunch of boxes, paracetamol 500mg take 2 tablets 4 times a day Josephine
Ibuprofen 200mg take 1 tablet 3 times a day & tramadol 50mg take 1 capsule 4 times a day.
The cocodamol was prescribed by my GP for last few years & still have some in the cupboard. I am really hurting although i am sticking to my doses & times. I increase the tramadol but never more than 400mg in 24 hours. I think it may have been due to the physios exercises that I really tried to do. They just never seem to be satisfied. I have a 90' bend (do it on the loo) and 0 extension so I am not unduly worried myself, but the physio seemed to think 100' was achievable after that!! I am grateful for any advice (or ticking off if you think appropriate!!) and thanks for getting back to me so quickly. I think I've hit that emotional brick wall that everyone talks about :sos:
 
Sarah, thanks for your update, it really helps!! I have that very same burning pain & the whole front of my knee & lower thigh feel solid. I'm trying to perk myself up at the moment & I've asked Josephine for any advice she may have. I should know better, after reading all the experiences already, not to listen to physios & be suckered into the magic bend routine, but, being already fragile from the surgery & everything else that we go through to get there, I did! I'm now paying the price for it. Please take it easy - don't push it too hard, it's really not worth the pain the next day!!!! :friends: sending you a hug x x
 
Alison, you're Doing good, v early days. YOu must keep up The meds so you can focus! My GP helped m sort mine and I was ok after that.

:thumb: Takecare Fernie
 
Hi Jetthugger,
Sounds like you are having end of week one blues. :tantrum:
Of course you are not failing at anything. You are doing brilliantly less than a week after major surgery. :yahoo:
Just think what that poor leg went through last Monday. :yikes:
Keep taking those painkillers regularly. Are you icing very regularly? I find that is very soothing. Ease off the stretches if you are stiff and sore.
Be kind to yourself, it is very early days and you are not even a whole week out yet.
Keep your chin up,
Hope you sleep well tonight,
Sending you a big hug,
Toothfairy x :console2: :flwrysmile:
 
Thanks Fernie & Toothfairy. Week 1 blues? I'm glad there's a name for it!! I've been trying to pull myself together all day and failing dramatically!! I don't know what I would do without this support network!! Yes, I need to focus!! Will see if I can have a chat with my GP when I go to get my staples out on Thursday. I'm sooo glad Josephine is around!! And its also nice to be able to compare war wounds with fellow 1 weeker Sarah. I may be able to stop crying now !!! :beg: have a stiff cup of tea & hope this will ease off soon x x hugs to you all & kudos that we are doing this huge awesome & incredibly difficult thing together!! :puppysmooze: :thankyou: :friends:
 
Jethugger and Sarah, Please please concentrate on getting your meds right and not doing your lifts and extensions yet. That is whats important to help cope with the terrible surgery you have just had and you will have plenty of time and a lot more energy to cope with the exercises in the next few weeks. Be easy on yourselves. You deserve this time for resting and recovering.
 
Oh Jetthugger, I wish I could come and give you a cuddle.
Don't try and pull yourself together, you have been very brave and been through a huge ordeal.
I meant to say how very impressed I was that you had your op with spinal only, I didn't expect that.
It is all a huge trauma to your body and has to catch up with you sometime. There seems to be something about the end of week one that causes the tears to flow.
Don't fight it, have a good howl and then you can gather yourself and start a new day tomorrow.
My daughter sent me a little teddy and on my weepy day I sat and clutched it like I was a little toddler!
Relax and have a couple of days just resting then you will feel better. Chocolate is prescribed to be taken regularly for 24 hours.
Big hugs, Toothfairy x
 
paracetamol 500mg take 2 tablets 4 times a day, Ibuprofen 200mg take 1 tablet 3 times a day & Tramadol 50mg take 1 capsule 4 times a day.
That's odd - usually they say "1-2 tablets 4-6 hourly". Are you sure that's not what it says? Because you have good pain meds there, you're just not taking enough. I suggest you take 100mg Tramadol with the paracetamol as that's what's normally prescribed. 50 mgs is nowhere near enough at one week. The paracetamol is spot on but the ibuprofen is such a low grade pain killer it's not worth risk of the side effects on your stomach.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom