TKR Good grief, it's Gort!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alison I hope this message finds you in slightly better spirits today. I have been very, very lucky that my home PT believes that there is to be some discomfort with PT at this stage, nothing should make me hurt more (during or after the exercise). I was only able to get to 73 degree flexion and close to 0 extension (she didn't measure this one it looked so good) but as long as I'm working at it, and I'm trying to deal with this swelling I am not to fret about the numbers yet.

I would continue with the exercises that PT has you doing, but only stretching to discomfort not to actual pain. I am also keeping a written journal of sorts to record when I've tried something new and my pain levels afterwards. This is how I decided it may be the prone hang that was irritating my knee cap and to stop that one for a few sessions to see if I note any difference. It can be so very hard, because none of my exercises hurt at the time, but later that evening or the next day, I will be able to tell that I over did it. I almost wish there was a warning indicator light reminding me that even though it doesn't hurt, it's still activity and there is still so much healing that needs to happen before any true strengthening or training can begin again.

All we can do is work through this recovery slowing and carefully and remember it too is a phase between our damaged arthritic knees and a pain free life!

:friends:Hang in there friend and keep reporting your blues moments here so we can all work through it together.
 
Thank you all for being there for me yesterday! You don't know how much I appreciate it!! :thankyou: I upped my meds and got through the night (sort of!) :mcoffee: In the wee hours I decided I needed something to do & reading some of your updates on knitting et al, got me thinking & indulging in eBay.... :shocked: I'm now waiting for the arrival of wool, crochet hook, some old knitting needles :whistle: & I've downloaded a crochet pattern for an old fashioned granny style tea cosy & some grandala crochet squares (which can be stitched together) :happydance: :egypdance: Thankyou all again!! The mortified look on hubby's face when he walked in to a snivelling mess on the sofa was priceless :yikes: , so was his attempt to try & cheer me up! :boohoo: In the end, following toothfairys sage advice, he shambled off to the kitchen & came back with a box of Lindt chocolates!!! Amazing the effect chocolate has isnt it!?! I think GP's should prescribe the stuff ! :heehee: I'm ok today!! Backing off on the exercises yesterday has settled all my tissues down from the snarling fury of yesterday!! I will look my pt in the eye & tell him to back off or come back when he's had his leg ripped up & bolted back together!!! :headbang:
 
I love it, telling it like it is!

Well thIs time last week you were about to be introduced to Gort the Golden and shiny. What a week you have had with ups and downs and round abouts. A true roller coaster ride as promised.
Onwards to week two and continued progress, reducing pain and increased mobility. One small step at a time.
You are doing really well, keep resting and icing and nap whenever you can. Try to do something nice for yourself every day, just something small, use some nice hand cream or shower gel or watch a comedy or order more wool. Whatever makes you smile. :loll:
Allow yourself to switch off from coping woman mode and be in full recuperating from MAJOR surgery and needs every whim pandered to mode.
Sending you another hug,
Toothfairy x :egypdance: :happydance: :dancy:
 
Hi Toothfairy, I've just ordered a job lot of mixed colours for now 10 x 25 gram balls for the squares then 6 x 25 gram for the tea cosy in blue gold & white (I think!)
The Lindt chocolates were for the nurses in the ward that looked after me, & hubby forgot them! :shocked: Whilst I have every intention of sending chocolates in on my next visit, it is not for a while yet & I felt that my need was greater last night :whistle: How are you doing, By the way? I'm so busy with my own moans & groans, I forget that everyone here is going through the same thing, just at different stages in the process!! Are you ok? How's the exercise bike going? I'm still eyeing mine up, will wait till staples are out I reckon.., :umm: Thanks for the hugs, you had me sobbing harder (but with gratitude!!) last night! Even virtual hugs work you know!!! Hugs back x x :friends:
 
Hi Alison, a good cry does you good. You definitely needed those chocolates more last night.
I am doing really well, I am so fortunate. I am sleeping well which helps a lot and my pain is pretty well controlled. I am working on my bend and straightening and I feel they are progressing. I know I still have a long way to go and sometimes that feels a bit daunting but I am just taking each day as it comes.
I am still spending a lot of time resting and icing and despite sleeping well, getting up,late and resting a lot I still get very tired and go to bed early.
I couldn't imagine going back to work in another three weeks.( hospital said that we were ok to go back at 6 weeks) Thankfully I can stay off till I feel ready to go back and am planning on 12 weeks off before I return.
My exercise bike is good, I am nowhere near doing a forward rotation but going backwards is getting easier and I managed 15 consecutive rotations yesterday. I have to stretch and work up to it when I get on the bike and always do my other stretches first.
Walking upstairs normally is getting easier and so is walking downstairs. I still get stiffer as the day goes on and revert to one stair at a time in the evening.
All in all I am doing really well and consider myself very lucky indeed.
I could never have imagined myself doing these things when I was at the end of week one so don't be disheartened, you too will make great progress!
Hugs,
Toothfairy x :puppysmooze: :flwrysmile:
 
Wow!! That's just amazing! Especially looking at it from my week 1 perspective!! Like you, I have the option to extend sick leave if I need it, though my personal goal is the end of May (10 weeks) as I want to go to a Muse concert on 22nd & can't justify being able to do that, but not being able to return to work!! Will be playing it by ear though, as with all of these things, the knee rules!!! Take care Toothfairy & keep up with your remarkable recovery!! Awesome!! :puppysmooze: :friends: :yahoo: :bicycle1:
 
I'm still struggling with leg lifts & extensions (which TBH I struggled with beforehand too)
Er, you answered your own question there now didn't you.
which means I dread the physio !! Any tips? :what:
Yes. Don't do physio.

Patient (demonstrating): "Doctor, it hurts when I go like that."
Doctor: "Don't go like that."

OK seriously; physio MUST NOT hurt to be any use. If the physio says or tries anything different, sack them.

Thank you Josephine I am so glad it's not me failing as it hurts so much to do, a real sharp pain in the kneecap!!

Pain is not failure.



My exercise bike is good, I am nowhere near doing a forward rotation but going backwards is getting easier and I managed 15 consecutive rotations yesterday. I have to stretch and work up to it when I get on the bike and always do my other stretches first.
Can you put the saddle higher? Put it up as high as it will go, then lower by tiny amounts (1/4") every week or so.

Once you've completed just one slow, gentle rotation the next should be a bit easier.
 
Husbands are a breed on their very own. ... Only last week we went to visit his mum in hospital. Parked in a disabled bay. There was a huge grass verge at the back, very slippy cos it had been raining and he auctually turned round and said "Youre ok to climb up there arent you save walking round" I was speechless and kept a very tight hold on my cane. My daughter said Dad i couldnt climb up there never mind Mum. He couldnt understand why I wouldnt at least try.
Why didn't he drop you at the door, with your daughter, and go and park*.



*(Take my advice, pal, get 'em outa the car at the door. You can go and park up round the back and get at least 5 minutes peace and quiet, them moanin' on alla time, drive a man to drink...)
 
Jethugger you are so funny and I have put Lindt chocolates on my list of things I need in the house for after the surgery! Keep on battling on one week down :yay:
 
Alison have you seen the new Lindt chocolate eggs for Easter? They are simply divine! Maybe you can find and order them online to be delivered along with your new yarn? :snork:

You mentioned you don't know how you feel about going to a concert yet delaying your return to work time. I wouldn't. Return to work is many hours repeated daily, whereas a concert is a few hours and then over. In fact, I would set your mind on the concert as something to look forward too, and decide about your return to work as the time draws a little closer. This is not a matter of you being a wimp any trying to get as much time off as possible. We've read here time, and time again that many have returned to work sooner and I don't recall reading any posts where they were happy about that. In fact, there are several where they admitted they were "fine" but it did delay their overall recovery.

Toothfairy, I'm going to go pop over to your thread in a few, but wanted to thank you for your kind encouraging words and reminding Alison (and I) not to compare - especially when we are in different stages of recovery. Words that need to be repeated often I suppose. :flwrysmile:
 
Hey girlie, you are doing fine, keep eating those chocs ! Loving the nighttime eBay shopping, you know they rely on the insomniacs :rotfl:.

FernIe, leader of the great Tour de BoneSmarties team, says strictly no :bicycle1: Yet, not til physio says so. :)

Lots of icing and elevating, look after yourself. Take care.

:friends: Fernie
 
Oh my..... I have just been reading the last 2 pages and I have to jump in.
Things to ponder at one week out...
Good drugs = great teary moments. :boohoo:
Ice = reduction of swelling= less pain + easier movement. :egypdance:
Rest= healing faster:yes!:
agressive physio= pain,:groan: tears,:boohoo: depression due to feelings of inadequacy:hairpulling: :gaah: (you can not fail at healing)
Time= healing:tada: :dancy: :SUNsmile:
I spent my first month in bed, getting up for short forrays for food or bathroom breaks, icing, very light heel slides and stretches and getting to know my bonesmartie friends. I started physio @ 2 weeks, 2x per and only did things til it became uncomfortable then came home to ice and elevate and rest!!! Don't push yourself.... your body and knee know what you need... listen to them. :thumb:
@Roy Gardiner- You know you guys love it when we drive you to drink.... you jump out while the car is still moving.:rofsign: Now I will go back to my bitchin', moanin' and complaining!:snork: Just think.... without us you would have no reason to drink.:cheers: Your welcome!:beer:
 
There was a huge grass verge at the back, very slippy cos it had been raining and he actually turned round and said "You're ok to climb up there aren't you save walking round
I didn't spot this until Roy quoted it but I had to chip in with a story. A few years back a member's daughter and son-in-law took her out for a meal at about 6 weeks. She was really looking forward to it but reckoned it was ruined because he parked about ¼ mile away from the restaurant and though it was bad enough walking there, by the time she'd sat for a couple of hours, it was murder walking back again. To which I responded "Why on earth didn't he drop you off at the restaurant and then park up, then go fetch the car and pick you up from the restaurant at the end" Her reply: "It never occurred to us"!! :doh:
 
Hi there Jetthugger and Gort the Golden Great and Good,
How are you both doing today ? I hope you are both feeling better after a quiet day resting and icing and behaving.
I totally agree with Sarah that being able to manage out for a couple of hours to a concert does not equate to being able to be back at work. If you are able to take a couple more weeks off work then you should do it. At least keep an open mind and see how you feel nearer the time.
Take it easy and rest. Hope you are more comfortable tonight,
Hugs,
Toothfairy x :SUNsmile: :friends: :flwrysmile:
 
Hi TF, just been on your thread & all i can say is WOW!!!! Really inspiring!! :thumb: I'm good, have been taking on board all comments (thanks everyone!) and I'm now asking it easier, listening to my body (especially all the tender stuff around Gort the great & golden!!) it seems to be working!! I did three leg lifts this morning before I got out of bed, no pain!! Still zilch on the knee lift extensions, :groan: but hey ho!! I still have 90-100 bend & 0 extension, (depending on when I bend & how swollen it is) I don't push it though. Walking pretty much without sticks, although I keep one to hand for reassurance (& I don't want hubby's think I'm ready to run a marathon just yet!) :whistle: :heehee: Haven't been outside yet, still snow on the ground. Hoping it will be gone by the time I have to go get my sutures out, don't fancy skating to the surgery!!! :rotfl: :loll: May have a look for a new avatar in a bit, this Gort looks very dour & grim, not like me at all!! Eagerly awaiting my wool & hooks & trying desperately not to bid for every scrap or oddment on offer! As with the recovery, I will start small and slowly work my way up!! :angel:
 
Oh Alison you are doing so very, very well!! Please be very pleased and proud of your accomplishments. I have not passed even one of those milestones yet (leg lifts, 90 bend, 0 extension, or walking without walker) and although I am not worried about my progress, I wanted to tell you just how pleased I am for you and your progress!!

So glad that taking it easy for a few days has helped settle things down a little bit. :) It feels as all I've done is take it easy (on my legs due to bp and stomach) yet the knee is still so very angry. Oh well, the knee is in charge and I am not going to stress myself out with things that I don't have any control over.

I too am scheduled to have the home health nurse visit on Thursday to take off the waterproof bandage and depending on how the incision looks, take out the staples. I've been pretty worried about the staple removal all along, but now that it is pulling and stinging when I move certain ways I think I will be pleased when I am free of them all. :egypdance:

Once my morning meds have kicked in fully I'm set to do my morning exercises and will see if I can bed, straighten and lift just a wee bit more. Thanks for the encouragement and congratulations with your progress!
 
I'm not sure any of this is actually my accomplishment, more likely it was the skill of the surgeon that did it. :angel: I have had very little bruising, despite the physios promising me I'd be black & blue soon! :shocked: I was a uniform yellow & even that's now fading. :tada: My swelling is usually when I'm up & about, but I'm such a lazy so-and-so & lounging about is right up my alley!!! :whistle: The only thing I put any effort into is my gentle exercises & icing regularly. I will add, you are lucky to be able to have your staples out at home, it's been snowing heavily here & I have to go to my local surgery to get mine yanked out. Heaven forbid the nurse would make a house call!! :headbang: Just hope I don't slIp & undo all the good work the medical profession has done so far!!! I suppose I could always borrow next doors wheelbarrow........ :rotfl: :loll: :heehee:
 
You in a wheelbarrow. Now thats quite a picture. I do hope you would be doing some leg lifts while you were in there tho. Shame to miss an opportunity a. :heehee:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom