TKR Good grief, it's Gort!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
wow, that ROM and extension is soooo good. you should be v proud.

beer as well? what a day! :heehee:

So, when are you thinking about going back to work - early next month?

anyway, i've still not got on the bike yet... must pop on now before my buddy arrives.

Fernie x
 
Not sure, I have been on directors thread, she went back at six weeks & i believe she regretted it instantly. I may reconsider my return to work later on this month & see how I feel then. The biggest hurdles for me are extreme fatigue & sleeplessness. I have a job which requires quite a bit of concentration & a lot of accuracy (which we are constantly audited & scored upon - so no pressure there!! :yikes: ) so, I may allow myself a further couple of weeks recuperation, maybe in those weeks I could go swimming each day & build up a bit. We will see....
How are you finding it really? Seems like your juggling a lot of balls! :shocked:
Kudos to you, but really, take it steady! We joke about ODIC, but it does knock us flat when we push too hard & too soon! :groan: :puppysmooze:
 
I think I am not even contemplating work until 12 weeks post op but a my job is 12.5 hour shifts and on feet all shift and even then I will do at least 4 weeks of phased return (although at the moment I am 50/50 as to wether I will ever get back to my old job doing the long shifts and sometimes very heavy work - just going with the flow and will do what is best for me at the time)

All respect to anyone going back to work earlier it is just the getting up, washed dressed, breakfast, get to work that is tiring enough without actually doing the work that I am worried about first!
 
Congratulations on your numbers and release from PT! :dancy: I think you are wise to consider taking a few more weeks before your return. I have not read one account here on Bonesmart where someone stated "I wish I had returned to work sooner." However, we have all read the opposite, where many have wished they had additional time.
Sorry to hear about your sleepless night - won't it be wonderful when that is no longer an issue?
Glad to hear you enjoyed your pub lunch and drink yesterday! Hope you have a nap or two on today's schedule.
 
Alison, I do think I've told my return to work as it is. Normally I work a part time desk job and this has allowed me to return at 9 weeks on half days, so really I'm doing like quarter time rather than part time! :heehee: Can't really do much less. Long gone are my full time, extra hours, travelling etc etc.

I woud not for one minute, even consider returning if I was full time at this stage. Ill be about 13 weeks when I'm due back to my 2.5 days. Its been hard, even these pathetic half days, really hard and next week I have to get daughter to school each day and back again as well.

Shortie is v correct in saying its the act of getting up early, showered, ready and physically getting to work which is the killer. After the first few weeks, I tried to be up usual time so I coud get back in routine. Fortunately, I don't have to leave home til 8.40.

Ive been so tired this week, weds was almost exhaustion, just wanted to shut eyes and that was about 5 pm!

Next week I'm attempting 3 half days but I will be v strict and leave by 1.30.

Yes, I'm always busy and juggling lots of balls but then I have a young child to think about. TKR Isn't designed for folk who have small kids! More like grand kids! So many times I just want to curl up and rest on the sofa and snooze but I can't, I have to make sure she is ok. It's just the way it is for me and she will always come first.

Factor all this in, I've also a hectic social life and another little job I do as well. Also involved at school. So you can imagine how hard the whole process as been for me.

Ill keep or rather start to take it slow at work and if I'm still tired and need another extension to the phased return then I will.

I'm not called wonder woman for nothing you know :rofsign:

Hugs, Fernie x
 
Congratulations Alison, amazing ROM for 3 weeks and 4 days post op!!!! :goodpost: :yes!: :bow: :bow:
I have googled eyelash yarn so I now know what you are talking about.
I think it will be a week so so before I try crochet as I have started another baby cardi and am keen to finish it ASAP.
Sounds like your blanket is doing splendidly. What size are you planning in for the finished blanket?
I would say think carefully before rushing back to work. I have been feeling good for a few days and was feeling that I should be thinking about work. After my outing today I realise I am absolutely not ready. Like you I need to be concentrating and fully engaged before I go back. I have been signed off for another four weeks and will see how I am nearer then.
Hope you sleep better tonight, have a great weekend,
Hugs, Toothfairy x :yes: :bicycle2: :flwrysmile:
 
Had a very lazy day today. After a jagged night that again saw Gort battling with sleeping pills! :mcoffee:
Walked my old girl Jett round the meadow, is approx 20 minute walk at a steady slow stroll, so I was ok, just felt tight on the way back up the path. Hubby took Loki round the lake, im not quite up to that yet, uneven terrain and all that... :yikes: Switched my afternoon pain meds from tramadol etc... To cocodamol which seems to be adequate & I may go back to cocodamol in the day & then tramadol just in the evenings (though Gort may have a few things to say about it & I will of course listen!!!) :shocked:
Toothfairy My blanket is 9 x 100 gram balls worth!! Don't quite know how big the finished article will be, but I'm down six balls, three to go & it's approx 5' square at the moment. It's good that you're doing another cardi, I always think its nice to be creative in whatever form it takes (apart from pole dancing) :rotfl: :loll: :heehee:
I should finish it early part of next week & then try & figure out how to upload a photo of it on the iPad (though I may capitulate & just go onto hubby's iMac) :whistle: :heehee:
While I'm at it, I can put a photo of my scar, Loki & Jett my two woofs and also my dragon, Godzilla who really hates to be left out of these events!!
Will be cooking a traditional Sunday roast for myself & hubby, having gotten rid of MIL we are at peace!!! No more threatened bed baths!!!!! :yikes:
Have a peaceful & tranquil Sunday all of you lovely bonesmarties! :puppysmooze: :friends:
 
You are doing well. Hope it just keeps getting better each week. Thanks for the tip on my thread.
 
All respect to anyone going back to work earlier it is just the getting up, washed dressed, breakfast, get to work that is tiring enough without actually doing the work that I am worried about first!
A very, very solid point here! The logistics of getting up, cooking breakfast, getting to work, etc (and getting home!) is something many folks take for granted and adds tension to the knee.
 
I have discussed with work & they are happy with a staged return. Thinking about it, I'm going to see Muse at the Ricoh Arena in May on 22nd :happydance: :dancy: :spin: . Probably will need the rest of the week to settle Gort back down, I'm sure Gort will be miffed at standing room only for two hours!!!! :yikes: I will take the Thursday & Friday then to get over it & start work @ 5 hours per day to start the following Monday. :shocked: this will take me to the ten week mark. :shrug: I will assess a few weeks after that to see if I can increase back to full time (although I have been hinting of keeping a part time role for months!) we shall see....
I had nearly a full month off sick before christmas, when I had the chest infections/fractured ribs, so am also conscious of that!
I also fully intend a four week regimen of a daily swim, once the six week embargo has been lifted!! :heehee:
I do acknowledge what everyone says about the return to work and I know that the vast majority of my issues are fatigue & total energy drain after any kind of activity (I.e. 20 minute meadow walk = 1 hour snooze!!) plus, and possibly worst of all, is the lack of any kind of nights keep!! Even with sleeping pills, I'm awake for huge chunks of the night!! If I imagine then getting up at 6.30 to be at work for 8am - usually finish around 5 ish, it really puts recovery into a whole new perspective! Hoping this will be manageable at ten weeks :bow:
Thank you all for your input, it really helps! Sorry to drag on!! :puppysmooze:
 
Good morning my busy friend. Gort the golden must be behaving well allowing you to get on with life. Hooray for Gort the Golden.
I assume that Godzilla the dragon is a lizard?
I obviously did not mention to you that I am a pole dancer....... ( only joking) :rotfl:
I am looking forward to the photo bonanza. Yippee.

As far as standing for two hours at the concert goes I think that is ambitious. Could you consider a shooting stick type thing that you could take the wait off your leg with? I know it is not exactly trendy but might make the difference between enjoyment and misery. You can get them on good old amazon for less than £20.

I can understand that you feel bad about having had time off work sick before Christmas but it does not affect the recovery time for TKR.
25 hours a week plus travelling and getting up and out ready for work is a big ask at 10 weeks.
Will you plan to do 8 till 1 or will you start later?
Could you take another two weeks off before you go back, in the big scheme of things it is not much longer?
Does your work lend itself to sitting with your leg elevated and an ice pack on?
Could you start more gradually, maybe two 5 hour days the first week, three the next etc.
I know you are a competent woman who can make your own decisions but I am just trying to point out alternative options. We see so many posts on here from people who regret not taking longer off and I haven't seen any saying they wished they had gone back sooner.
You are very early in your recovery to be planning your return, see how you feel nearer the time?
Lecture over.

Have a great Sunday, enjoy your Sunday roast in a bedbath free zone.
Hugs,
Toothfairy x :puppysmooze: :happydance: :friends:
 
Ha ha! Yes Toothfairy, Godzilla is a bearded dragon, bit like a cross between a lizard & a spiny rock! He's very affectionate & free range (lives in the conservatory when he's not sat on the virgin box under the telly) :shocked:
Did a shop this morning, not much about 3 bags worth, then after an hours rest, took Jett over the meadow again, while hubby took Loki round the lake. I must have been slower today as they were back the same time as Jett & me!!! :tada: :shrug:
Sunday dinner nearly ready, then will settle own for an evening of crochet & mundane telly.... :sleep: :snork:
I no longer hate Mondays... That's my uplifting thought for the day! :rotfl: :heehee:
 
I have gotten quite a bit of excellent input about returning to work too soon. I will be waiting the full 10 weeks, and then phasing in. I was hoping to go back tomorrow (6 weeks), but I am go glad I am waiting. After experimenting with some outings, I know I am not ready.
 
:happydance: Glad you are getting backin swing of things, must be good to walk the Wuffs again.

Since I've been back at work I'm really struggling with what day it is, enjoy liking Monday's! The one good thing is that I do feel I've moved onto the next stage of recovery. Now I know this ispossibly the longest stage, but it's the next step. Am preparing for another 12 weeks or so of slow subtle improvements, hail the day when I get out of bed and walk rather than ooch and ouch and limp and stretch :heehee:. So I reckon the first 9 weeks have gone quite fast, even though they are the scary big pain, roller coaster weeks, am glad they are behind me.

Do you feel you are approaching the next stage? Obviously still not sleeping and only just saying byee to the friendly tramadol, do come off them v slow by the way, isn't ideal but you will get there. IM Sleeping, generally, better, not always so good.

You are a star and crochet queen. :flwrysmile: Have a good week.

I'm already in the ODIC and hunkering down for the week :cry: . Will see how I get on and if I can find me a little escape route, perhaps weds arvee? Should have a window for rest if I legg it from work when my boss is at the gym :rotfl:. See, such cunning and careful planning required during the return to work phased start.:loll:

I will try and be a trail blazer for you, fairy and the others with regard to this :egypdance: and show you the path!

Will add trail blazing to my To Do list, after wonder woman duties.....:sigh: Fernie x

Toothfairy
 
So glad to hear that you've made up some decisions about your return to work. It sure will be interesting to see how Gort handles the concert - I sure hope he is silent and allows you to enjoy yourself. I think Toothfairy has a great point about thinking about something to help you out in the event that 2 hours standing in place becomes too uncomfortable to manage.
It's good to hear that you had a lazy day and are still allowing yourself those rests when needed. I know what you mean about 20 minutes out = 1 hour nap! If only they'd work out mandatory nap time in our return to work orders! :heehee:
Sorry to hear that your sleep at night is still difficult. It is one of the very hardest parts of this recovery for sure! That and not being able to find a comfortable position for any length of time awake or asleep. I cannot wait for the day when I can just sit (or lay) and enjoy a movie, or an afternoon browsing on the computer without the constant fussing and moving about for a comfortable position.
 
Hi Alison, just caught up on your thread. Congratulations on your ROM. Truly excellent. I know my OS would be thrilled with me to have that score, but I don't believe he'll get it for a long while. Lovely to see you've got your life back on track, walking the dogs, getting out to the stores and pub for that matter, in under 1 month! Good on you. Well done. Take care. Jenny :puppysmooze: :thumb:
 
Lovely to see you've got your life back on track, walking the dogs, getting out to the stores and pub for that matter, in under 1 month! Good on you. Well done. Take care. Jenny :puppysmooze: :thumb:
Truly impressive Alison when you see it written out like that.
Do Godzilla, Loki and Jett all get on or do they ignore each other? It is a new concept for me that a lizard can be affectionate, something new I have learned today. I have just googled them, they even have their own forums.
Have a great day, anything planned? Another walk with Jett?
I am planning a quiet day, more knitting and gentle exercises. I will have a walk later if it brightens up.
Hugs, Toothfairy x :yay: :dancy:
 
Well TF, I didn't know that! Dragons have a forum? Must look it up! Thanks for letting me know! :thankyou:
The dog walking/pub/shopping isn't that impressive, maximum 20 minutes & slow & steady, not so different to your 5km bike ride. Each is done on a different day & I get grumpy Gort for the afternoon as a trade off! :groan:
I'm rule breaking today - Ready has led me astray!! I'm having........ A bath!!!!! I will keep my scar clear of the water, promise!
Hugs to all x x :puppysmooze:
 
Enjoy your bath - I have been VERY BAD and had a bath everyday :whistle: I don't dunk my leg but just the warmth of the water and being relaxed really helps me start moving my leg in the mornings
 
Enjoy your bath. Lots of soapy bubbles and a lovely relax. :yes:
I suppose it is the dragon owners that have the forum! I can just imagine the dragons sitting tapping on their iPads :heehee:

I am feeling very stressed, there is a blocked pipe in the new en-suite behind the tiled wall and of course round a 90 degree bend. The good ( sort of ) news is it is at the very far end which means it is very close to the waste pipe. Poor husband is currently poking it with long bits of wire in the hope of dislodging it rather than having to take off tiles and then re-tile that bit. :hissy: :hairpulling: :headbang:
He is being very calm, I am feeling frazzled.
Nothing I can do so I will go and sit with my feet up and feel guilty!
Have a good day,
TF x :boohoo:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom