TKR Glamg1979 Has a Brand New Left Knee!!

Finally got home today around 4 pm. So nice to be back in my own bed. IV infiltrated today so nurse did not give me my last dose of steroids and not able to get any Dilaudid for pain.
Got pain somewhat under control but still much more uncomfortable than the 1st time.
Taking 10 mg. Oxycontin every 12 hours and 5-10 mgs. of Oxycodone every 3 hours and 10mg Flexeril every 6 hours. PA told me to call if pain spikes again. Think I will call in the morning, don't believe I will get much sleep tonight. Pain level is about a 4-5. Leg is totally worthless, can't move it on my own, feels as if the muscles in knee and thigh have been slashed. Still amazed at how different this has been from the first knee. Having most of pain in quads, probably right where the tourniquet was.

Marion I am so glad the Zofran is helping the nausea and you are able to take your pain medication. Huge difference from your first surgery.

:chuckmarch:visited, glad I refused the Miralax because the Senoket did the trick!
Changed my mind, I am calling PA now.

I'm so sorry you are having such pain. I hope the PA gets back to you quickly and you can get your pain under control. I truly do understand how you are feeling but don't give up hope that the pain I'll be under control shortly. Pain makes it hard to want to use your leg so I'm sure once you have that under control your quads will start working for you.

The only think that worked for me was Toradol to get the pain under control, then 15 mg of oxycodone cut in half. I needed a leg lifter for the first week and half, I couldn't move my leg without it.

PA called right back, thank goodness, had me double up my dosage and if that calms it down to stay with taking meds around the clock. So far that has seemed to help. Looks like I am spending the night in my recliner, can't get comfortable in my bed. Can't make it to the bathroom w/o help so hubby is staying on couch with me.

@KarriB the PA did order some Tordal IV but my IV went bad and nurse didn't want to restart it since I was going home. That one dose could of made a huge difference and gotten things under control. :bawl: Same surgery, same surgeon, same hospital but it has been like night and day!

I'm glad you had back so quickly. Hopefully you get some sleep tonight and tomorrow will be a better day.

I hope you are able to get some sleep. I am glad your PA called right back and took care of your meds I hear so many say that their OS's don't respond very quickly.

How are you doing today? Are you meds finally working for you? I hope you are feeling much better this morning.

:happydance::bored::chillpill:Yep, I had mine done on Monday. I tell you - those drugs are great! I asked for a large doggie bag, but...no. So stingy with them! lol Actually, I have a very definite reaction to the drugs called sleep. They could barely wake me up and when they did, I could only stay awake for about an hour. How frustrating! Home yesterday - I hit the Lazy Boy lounger and there I have stayed except for my routine visits to the toilet and exercises. Nobody said, if I recall, that this was going to be easy. Its definitely not. So I'm starting my new routines today. I hope I can stay on top of this. I can tell that it can go wrong fairly quickly if you don't keep moving, icing and elevating! I'm sorry I can't say anything nice at this moment about the surgery, so I won't say anything at all. It is definitely painful and kind of took me by surprise. My hip was not as painful - and it was just easier. I'll keep reading at this forum for advice and support. I had great encouragement and support at the hospital - what great nurses and support staff they have. Hope you all are well and getting better each day. Take care and I'll check in again soon!

Hi Glamg1979, Glad you're back home. Sounds like this one's been alot tougher for you. Hope the increase in meds takes care of your pain. Happy to hear your hubby is staying close by and being supportive, that means so much. Maybe you'll be able to nap once the pain is under control, hope so !

Pain was definitely out of control last night but doubling up on the pain medication did the trick. Slept last night in between the alarms set for pain meds.
Very, very sore leg and don't want anyone near it. Feels like my muscles have been cut with a red hot poker.
Home nurse coming today and still not set up with a home PT and that's just fine with me. Other than frequent trips to the bathroom I don't want to move this leg!
Icing constantly!

Welcome home! I am so so sorry the pain is over the top this time. It sounds like the pain got ahead of you at the hospital. Perhaps the home nurse can give you some insight. Small victory with the Poop Fairy at least. Praying you find some relief. Rest, ice, and elevate.

I'm happy to hear that you have control over the pain and got some sleep. Right now probably all the therapy you need is getting to the bathroom. I'm sure in a few days that you will begin to be able to move a little easier.

Right now probably all the therapy you need is getting to the bathroom. I'm sure in a few days that you will begin to be able to move a little easier.
Very true!
Rest, ice, elevate and keep taking those meds on time. Do a few ankle pumps and take that little walk every hour or so. That's all you need right now.

I hope your medications soon start to be more effective for you.

Congrats on your knee. I know if I get my other knee done I will definitely not do a thing for about 10 days to 2 weeks. Sit tight, medicate and try to sleep. You know the drill. Don't even think about expectations right now. Expectations and drugs make one crazy, haha! Hang in there, you are doing great.

I hope the home nurse helped with pain. Ice, rest, elevating with pain meds on schedule are the way to go for the first few weeks. Thankful for no PT!

I hope your afternoon went well and you get some sleep tonight.:flwrysmile:

How are you doing? I've been thinking about you all day hoping that your pain is under control and you're able to start getting up to the bathroom without too much help. While it certainly seems like time stands still while you are in pain it does get better.:console2:

Hi guys. Today has been a much better day. Quads are definitely waking up and I can just about get my leg up into the bed myself. Not nearly as much pain as I have been experiencing, in fact I slept 6 hours straight last night.
Tried to take a shower, but was just too exhausted and dizzy. Will try again tomorrow.
Home health nurse was absolutely no help at all, he didn't even know what procedure I had done! Got the feeling he hated his job or has problems with social interactions. Supposedly PT to call on Monday and set up in home session, trying to figure out how to hold them off for about 10 days.

Find myself really wondering if I would of gone through this again if 1st knee hadn't been so easy. Really don't know the answer but it is done now. So it is all good.
5 month old knee is holding up like a champ!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015
  • Roy Gardiner
    Staff member since February, 23, 2013
  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022