TKR Glamg1979 Has a Brand New Left Knee!!

Hope the dark days pass quickly. I had a few after my first tkr, and it wasn't fun. Having second knee done in a couple of weeks, and I'm not looking forward to revisiting those days, so I try to remind myself that I didn't get stuck there. Sharing on the forum helped alot. Wishing you ease and comfort.
 
How sweet about your granddarlings! :roseshwr: I finally ordered a pair of extra extra large compression stockings that would fit my big thigh. You are right - they hurt. In my case, they hurt to have on, but my goodness, when I took it off, the swelling came on and that hurt worse. I do hope you can find some comfort. Hugs and prayers.
 
I'm so sorry you're having a rough time this go round. Just know this time next week you will feel better than today. I'm sure your grand babies are putting smiles on your face.
 
Hi Glamg1979, Glad to hear your family is taking such good care of you. A bouquet of weeds from your grandchildren, made me smile, so sweet ! Every day you are closer to being back to normal. I know it's tough doing the second knee a few months after te first. Makes it feel as if it's been going on forever. The time will pass eventually and you'll have 2 good knees to show for all your hard work. Hope today is good for you.
 
Thanks everyone! Happy to say that today has been a really good day. Haven't even needed any pain medication either!
Graduated from walker to crutches and this morning I just walked out of the bathroom into the kitchen without either one. I did that last time too, just not thinking and took off walking. Sticking to crutches though for balance and to take weight off the knee. Hopefully won't need crutches by next week.
PT coming tomorrow and I hope we don't butt heads. I have had remarkably little swelling with this knee and not planning on letting PT aggravate it. After home PT therapy completed OS has approved aqua therapy for my OP treatment. Close by there is a practice that has one on one sessions with a therapist in a heated therapy pool. Really looking forward to that. First knee I didn't do any outpatient therapy but I love to swim and be in the water so I will follow thru this time.

Everyone's encouraging words helped me refocus my thinking and realized the bad days will pass and working hard for these knees means many good things to come in the future.
I have a wonderful cyber friend that lives in the UK and we have been emailing each other for almost 10 years. Every 1-2 years we meet up in NYC. Couldn't do it last year but our goal is May 2017 to celebrate our 60th birthdays and my new knees!!
 
Everyone's encouraging words helped me refocus my thinking and realized the bad days will pass and working hard for these knees means many good things to come in the future.
You're doing well and I'm glad you've been helped.

Do remember that you don't have to work hard to rehab your knee. Just a little, gentle exercise is all it needs.
TKR: work “smarter” and not “harder”
When you start water therapy, bear in mind that's it's easy to do too much in the pool without realising it, because the water supports your weight.
 
:yay: Glad to hear you're doing so much better and pain has greatly diminished. I'm sure you'll be walking all over NYC to celebrate your birthday. I'm going to try to find somewhere that offers hydrotherapy. There's nothing nearby but it just sounds wonderful. I'm not sure what OS offers but I'll ask next week at my visit.
 
Just finished home PT. Lucked out again and got a really good therapist! He doesn't believe in causing pain, just wants me to work the knee to a little bit uncomfortable and then stop, never should it be agonizingly painful. He held my leg and gently rocked my knee until he felt me tense up and then would stop.

Didn't sleep much at all last night, wasn't hurting but wide awake. Wanted to crochet but the light would of disturbed my hubby. Instead I watched a video of a TKR on YouTube.

Icing now and planning a nap.
 
Watching a TKR would have probably kept me up:) I don't think I am ready to watch that yet. Happy you are feeling better:)
 
I think watching a TKR surgery would give me nightmares for weeks! A good PT is a great find. I'm happy to hear that you are doing well.
 
So good to hear that you're doing better. Wonderful that you got a good pt too! I still haven't watched a video of a TKR, not sure I want to see what they did to me !!!
 
:rotfl: very funny you guys! I absolutely refused to watch a TKR video before my surgeries but figured there was no harm since it was all over and done with.
Found it interesting how the surgeon measures and cuts the bone, but honestly I got bored and quit watching. I do think a tkr and hip replacement video should be mandatory viewing for the ortho nurses and ancillary staff. Then they would treat us with awe and respect :heehee:.
 
This knee has been soooo different than my other one. I cancelled PT today and put it off until Tuesday. I am only 10 days out and I cannot find a comfortable position for my keg My knee and leg aches constantly. My pain medication causes dry mouth so bad that I have mouth irritations and a raw throat, therefore I have stopped taking them. Will call OS to see if they will prescribe something else on Monday.
Last time I had the exact same meds and it didn't bother me.
Quads are so tight and tender, tried massaging them last night, huge mistake!!!
Sitting on the toilet is a task not to be taken lightly. Have to ease my left leg out in front of me so it won't bend when I sit and have to ease down gently because thigh is so badly bruised.
Ice packs help with the pain and the only thing keeping me sane.

I think my first knee surgery was not the norm because it went fairly easy. This one is following more on the line of what the majority of others have reported post op.
 
For dry mouth I always have ice water to sip on. Sugar free hard candies are also a help as is a product called biotin which is a spray you can get in the pharmacy. I take other meds that cause dry mouth so this is what helps me. I hope you are able to get comfortable for the remainder of the day and get some sleep tonight.
 
I had a sore mouth with the infection treatment and just put it down to the antibiotics. It hurt to eat. I used the biotin, but in the end water and time were what helped the most.
 
My first knee was a miracle of fast healing, and like you I was worried and disappointed that my recovery time with the second knee was a much harder time. Now, knee number one is 9 months old and knee number two is 6 months old. They are both great. You will get through this. And you will be glad you did it. Just take it easy, baby that knee and take good care of yourself. And get a withdrawal from the Patience ATM. Better times ahead, I promise!
 
How are you doing today? Did you manage to get some sleep? Is your bruising starting to fade at all yet? :sneaker:
 
I hope you had a better day. I am so sorry this knee is being a challenge. Are you at least taking extra strenght Tylenol regularly? You are in my prayers.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom