Guest viewing is limited

TKR Glamg1979 Has a Brand New Left Knee!!

I told the home nursing companies both times that I didn't need a nurse just a PT. I know you are a nurse like I am and if the PT notices any medical problems they can have the nurse make a visit. In PA the PT can remove staples but nurses can't. As far as PT goes I have one now that does some gentle stretches and simple exercises and then some wonderful massage. Are you using the same company that you did for the first knee? If they were good to you then they might be able to make sure those awakening quads don't complain too much.
 
In PA the PT can remove staples but nurses can't.
How odd! Removing sutures and clips/staples was part of my training and practice as an RN. I used to love removing clips and I took pride in doing it with a minimum amount of pain for the patient. There's a special knack in knowing how to do it.
Strange how practices differ in different parts of the world! :scratch:
 
I agree, Celle, seems to differ a lot. Nurse in my doctors office removed mine after knee . But when my dad had carotid artery surgery they gave me the staple remover and told me when to remove them!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
The nurse removed my staples both times, but it was in the dr.'s office. Maybe it's just the home nurses?
 
Good morning! I am glad you got some sleep. Can you request a different home health nurse? When PT calls, just tell them you prefer to wait. Simple as that. Remember, you PAY them and are in charge. I am sorry you are having problems this time. After all my problems, I would definitely have a very hard time doing this again. Is your pain well controlled now? I do pray you have a good day today and things are better going forward.
 
I kind of told the home health nurse I didn't need him to come anymore and would just deal with PT. Unfortunately I am dealing with a different agency because this surgery was done under Obama Care and the 1st was not. I am trying to brace myself for the hospital bill knowing that the deductible is quite large.

I do believe I am going to put off PT for another week. Husband helped me with shower this morning and remarked on the massive bruising. Said it was way worse than last time and can now understand why I was in so much pain.

Much more comfortable today and haven't needed any pain meds yet......Sleeping hasn't been a problem and find I am much more tired now and napping a lot.
Able to get in and out of bed independently now. Unable to tolerate leg straight on the bed so for now I have a pillow supporting the entire length of leg.

Enjoy your Sunday!
 
Most hospitals do offer financial help with remaining bills depending on family income. I was able to get help with bills even though I'm employed.

I'm happy you're able to sleep and are starting to get around on your own and your pain is well nderstand control. I hope you have a nice Sunday.
 
Hi, hope your pain level stays down. Just don't let it sneak up on you. Try not to worry too much about the bills that will be coming for your surgery. Hospitals will always let you work out a payment plan if needed. I still use s pillow under my legs when going to sleep. If I turn onto my side I just put it between my knees, it helps alot.
 
@Timetolive I remember you had a problem with your knee and Xarelto but can't exactly remember what happened. I am on aspirin 325 mg twice daily. My bruise is just below my buttock and across the back of thigh. Very dark black, swollen and tender. I cannot do heel slides, as soon as I try to slide my heel towards my buttocks my quads lock up and my leg won't budge. Not just pain but it is like the muscle is actually shutting down and are telling me "no way are going to work" I know I am not even a week out but it has me concerned.
 
Doing heel slides in bed is quite difficult anyway. Why not forget about them for now? There's no need to rush. Let your leg heal a bit first.
 
Yes, my husband is positive it is from the tourniquet, he used to be a scrub technician for an OS back in the 80's and he said that is where it is used. Now that I have had both knees done I am going to watch the video of a tkr.
Just hoping my quads will eventually reawaken.
Will see OS on the 11th for staple removal.
 
Take it easy... Slow and easy wins this race! Glad you're on this side! I just passed 8 mon and "Buddy" is doing well. He still swells if I'm on him too long without a break. Today I wore knee highs to church ... Now THAT was an accomplishment! Hang in there. Get plenty of rest! BIG HUG!
 
My dad had tons of bruising with both his knees, I had none. My doc must not have used a tourniquet. It took me over a week for my quad to wake up. The PT in transition care would put my leg up in the air and lower it slowly to get it to remember. My TKR was done on a Tuesday and I couldn't lift my leg without help or a device until the next Sunday. I cried out of frustration, not pain. I used my leg lifter to do SLRs, each day I pulled less and my leg did a little bit more. It'll wake up.
 
I had that kind of bruising the first time. It as also very painful. I used ice all the way around my thigh and knee. I was on aspirin that time too. It took some time but it eventually left. It did take a few weeks as far as I can remember.
 
Having a rough day today. Quite uncomfortable even with pain medication. To be honest when I had my first knee done I didn't understand what a lot of us were going through because I had such an easy time of it. I can remember telling my husband how much pain, tears and frustration others were having and even told him how it was called 'the dark days of recovery' We both agreed I was very fortunate, had a good surgeon, good pain meds, etc
This time I can totally emphasize and now understand 'the dark days' phrase :boohoo:
Hoping this knee will do OK since it has been such a totally different experience .
When does this acute post op pain start getting better?
Thanks for continued support and prayers :angel:
 
I am so sorry you are having the "Dark Days". They are really bad. I just tried to keep focused on that 4 week mark and looked at each day as one I lived through and did not have to live through again. You can do this. Is your daughter spoiling you?
 
Yes daughter is doing a great job taking care of me and so is my husband. Daughter is at the store right now to get me some of my favorite comfort foods, in other words not healthy. I am having a protein shake for breakfast so maybe that will offset the comfort food.
House is spotless, laundry done and she is even walking the dogs.

The grand babies have been so cute. They are being very careful with Nonna's boo-boo and steering clear of my knees. Got a bouquet of wildflowers, well OK weeds, from them yesterday.

Anti embolism stockings are off!! I tried to last longer with them but they were causing more pain, especially on the bruises. I am doing ankle pumps and walking around the house every time I get out of bed.
 
I remember those days form my first go round and they are truly 'dark days'. Try to remember that as each day passes you are closer to the rest of your life without arthritic knees. I tried concentrating on positive thoughts and deep breathing to help me get through those days. Hang in there. :console2:
 

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom