THR Glad to be in this side<

GrannyC I think it's 3 fold..God smiles upon you, you had anterior and yes condition.... I kick boxed right up to the day before the day of surgery..... I've not had pain above a maybe 2 or 3 if that and go on max of 2 pills a night mostly for sleep the worse pain for me was from constipation but I think I have a very high pain tolerance

Did you get anything on the sales or is that tomorrow ???
 
@MyAussieGirl I had forgotten you did kick boxing. That sounds pretty strenuous. It sounds like you've ditched the walker. My PT told me to use the cane until I could walk ok without a limp. I still keep the cane in the truck in case I find I'm going to walk for s long distance somewhere. I think if I were to start getting tired, I mightnlimp again but I don't know.

Yes, we went to a few yard sales but I didn't find much exciting. I did find a good book for fifty cents and a couple books for my grandkids but that was about it. Still it was a nice day and good to get out. Today it is raining AGAIN!! Yuck - we have had way too much rain the past month. I don't even think the farmers can plant because it is so very wet.

I hope you have had a good weekend.
 
Hey GrannyC yes I kickboxed daily for wow over 18 years the last 5 not so good cause the hips but I still did it nightly thus why I'm more physical than most people

Still sounds like fun to go to yard and garage sales I've not been to many but have found cool short like end tables to redo etc...

Books are good you forget I'm a reading junkie lol

My weekend has been okay thanks I am starting to get a little tense as I'll find out what my OS thinks of the bumps etc ....gulp ....Hugs
 
@MyAussieGirl - Wow! Kickboxing daily must have kept you in great shape. Did you compete? I don't even know if there is s place in this area where people go for kick boxing as I haven't heard of it. Are you interested in getting back into it after you are healed?
 
@MyAussieGirl I am curious as to what your OS told you in regards to kickboxing with a hip replacement. I did Muay Thai competitively for about two years until my hips got too bad and I switched to boxing only. Nowadays I struggle to walk down the driveway. :headbang: I'm yet to get a date for THR, but have been told NO to kickboxing and running. :bignono:
 
Hey GrannyC I just did it to get fit and lost half my body weight I was once VERY overweight... I started crummy but kept up..
I built muscle but no it's all just for me for health
 
@Susan209 I asked before surgery he said in time I can go back to it but I kinda don't know maybe he wasn't serious....
I know that struggle to walk same here for a while I then knew I'd get new hips so though I didn't do it well I did my best it keeps my muscles up...As I am just about 6 weeks past surgery no lol I would not try it BUT right off no more hip pain on that side.

Trust me you'll be OK I can't say what you'll be able to do in the future but can tell you no more pain and you'll walk again

The recovery takes adjusting and adapting you know pillows between legs for a while to sleep things that can get to you...Meds cause constipation read up on all you'll do fine.

Hugs
 
@MyAussieGirl OS was quite horrified when I asked about kickboxing. Got a very firm no to that, as well as running and bungee jumping. :heehee: I think I'll be happy to settle for boxing, although my passion was Muay Thai.
Already using a pillow between/under my legs to "sleep" (I don't really sleep much or well anymore), so that won't be too much of a change.
Seeing doc later this afternoon and hoping I'll get a date. Thank you for the support.
Sue
 
Susan any time I can help I'm off and on lots ..if you have a thread let me know it's name... I'm not too posting savvy....mine is 4 days post OP or something close in hip recovery.... I'm not going to be on much more tonight but stay in touch you are in my prayers and hugs
 
@Susan209 Hopefully you will have your date soon. The waiting is the worst part I think. You should start a thread of your own on the pre-op side and make sure to ask any questions you may have. Everyone is so very helpful and full of tips to help you prepare. It makes the whole thing so much easier with all that support.

I haven't updated in a while and I suppose it is because everything has been going along so smoothly. I'm 5 weeks postop now. I am going to PT twice a week but they are not pushy and give me my exercises to do. We're especially working on stretching out those parts of my thigh that are tight and preventing me from having more range of motion. I have gotten enough range back now that I can get dressed without the dressing stick any more, including socks.

I started driving again at about 3 1/2 weeks and that is fine. It was a little hard to get in our pickup the first couple times but now it is fine. I haven't used my cane in a couple weeks but I still keep it in the truck in case I find I will be walking a distance somewhere. I've walked quite a distance without it but if I were tired, I'm concerned I might start to limp a bit and I don't want that to happen.

I posted a question to Josephine last week and I've since read that she is off the forum for a bit. I sure hope it isn't health related. She, Jaycey and Jamie as well as the other moderators are here for us all the time to support us and encourage us and it is a shame we can't do the same for them if they need it. We wouldn't be able to give advice like they do but we could support and encourage. Hopefully though her absence is positive and maybe she is on a vacation.

In view of her absence, I will ask my question to @Jaycey . I know we are supposed to walk postop. I do lots of walking in my every day activities around the house but I don't have a very good place to walk outside. I live in a rural area with no sidewalks and lots of farm vehicles and trucks going by all the time. I am wondering if I would get as much benefit out of riding my recumbent stationary bike as I would from walking?? I would appreciate your thoughts on that.
 
@MyAussieGirl and @GrannyC Thank you for the encouragement. I started a thread called "Newbie introducing myself" about a month ago. Probably should update...
OS was very vague about a date; best I got out of him was "in less than a year". :thud: Paperwork has been sent to hospital; I'll give it a week or two and then call for my date.
 
Wow Susan I wonder why the huge wait... My doc saw my X-ray and said I should not have been able to walk.. I'm rushing again tonight but gonna find your thread and Bone haunt you lol
 
GrannyC wow you are healing at warp speed I'm jealous lol.... I haven't a clue on the bike but I bet it's ok
 
@MyAussieGirl Welcome to the public health system in Australia... You get stuck into one of three categories (surgery required in less than 30 days, in 31-90 days, or within a year) and that's it. Most people seem to end up Cat 3 (within a year). I'll see what date the hospital comes back with, and then start calling... Hoping that being young and fit and healthy (aside from the rubbish hip), and flexible with a date, something might pop up earlier.
 
@Susan209 Both @MyAussieGirl and I are in the US. From what I have read on the forum it sounds like both the U.K. And Australia have very long waiting times. It sounds like it is related to the insurance systems you have but I'm not sure about that. We sometimes have to wait a bit in the US but nothing like what you do. I saw my OS in early March and had my surgery the end of April. I sure hope you can find a cancellation somewhere or find a way to get yours done sooner. If it is too painful to walk, you could always use a cane. That helps a lot. Of course, it wasn't until after my surgery that I discovered I'd been using the cane in the wrong hand!! How crazy is that? My right hip was bad so I should have had the cane in my left hand. luckily I didn't need to use it much and when I did, it still helped. I'm sure it would have helped more if I had put it in the correct hand. :heehee:
 
@GrannyC Wow, appointment in March and surgery in April - how good is that? Yes, I think you are right, and it is the insurance system here.
Trying to get my head around that maybe a cane might be in order... Too stubborn / vain / proud ... to use one. :sigh:
 
Susan209 I too saw my OS late March had my surgery April 17th ... I think as often is the case my dear friend GrannyC has it correct it's your insurance system....sorry it drags but odds are you pay less to zero.... I'm in debt to Mars...BTW I could have had surgery IN March I opted for the day after Easter here

Yes I wish I had used a cane or Walker all this time.... I suffered 5 years before seeing an OS
 
@Susan209 I do understand your reluctance to use a cane. However, I found that the last few months before my surgery, I seemed to go downhill fairly quickly. I was very concerned that my limping (which is rather unsightly in itself) would knock some other joint out of alignment or create more problems for me down the road so if I walked very far, I used my cane and found I didn't limp anywhere near as bad when using it. When you think about vain, proud, etc., how great do you look limping around? Or maybe you really don't limp much yet. Anyhow, that's just my thought.
 
GrannyC, hope you are feeling well today. I'm going on a ride along to pick up donations from Walmart to the food bank and look forward to riding a little. Hope you have a peaceful weekend!
 
@Mojo333 It always seems good to get out. My husband tilled our veg areden area yesterday so we went over to the nursery to get a few veg plants like tomatoes and peppers and the rest we will use seeds. Love the fresh veg in the summer. Today we will plant. Yesterday I could feel my upper leg right about where the new part probably went in. By last night it made me limp a little when I got up from sitting but it is almost gone this morning. I'm not sure if it is from PT or the walk I took after PT or from getting down and trying to dust mop under the beds. I have been trying to do my couple of steps normally and we worked in that at PT with a low box. Step up with bad leg first and step down with bad leg first. I did that at home yesterday but put a chair in front of me to hold on to and that seemed to go much more smoothly. When I do it without something to hold onto, it is a pretty jerky step up and I feel it in my knee. PT said I feel it in knee because of weakness in that leg and not because of an issue with my knee. I hope that is the case. So for now, I will practice with the chair and ask her about that at my next session on Monday. This particular exercise may be the culprit, too. Who knows?

Today the sun is out and it looks like a beautiful day with no rain! Yeah!!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom