THR Glad to be in this side<

@GrannyC so nice to read your post op experiences, I am due for surgery bilateral in July, cannot wait to put it behind me. You give me hope that there's light at the end of this tunnel keep up the good work ! I've been lurking around here reading everybody's post op threads... wondering what mine will be like, have a great day!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@gaulsuerou Such a wait. I only had less than a month to wrap my head around... My insurance may not be here next year so everything was expedited sine they did definitevly diagnose OA. There are so many great tips from folks so i wish I had the advantage of finding bonesmart sooner. Just came upon it a few days before my operation when I googled hip replacement scars...freaked me out!!! But if I had months to wait, bless your heart, I know my anxiety would've been high. This would've been a great place to get real insight before surgery. You are setting yourself up to succeed. You can do this...let you know when it starts to get great. Even with post op struggles I know my hip pain will be gone and that all of this will be worth it.
 
I could've had at the same time you did, but we have some family vacations planned that we waited over a year reservations and I did not want to spoil everybody's vacations. So I opted to wait until after everything is over, our hay is in, our garden is planted. I do think the long wait gives me way too much time to read way too many different recovery threads, I'm dreading it like you wouldn't believe but have to go through with it


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@gaulsuerou that is a long wait but it sounds like you have lots to get done prior to the surgery so the time will pass quicker than you think. I feel lucky to have discovered this forum several weeks before my surgery. Although there are some that run into problems, I felt overall the end result for nearly everyone is very positive. Plus reading the post op threads gave me a better understanding ahead of time of what to expect or what could happen. Little things like "log leg" and spinal were things I never dealt with before.

@Mojo333 is a good one to follow as her recovery has been great. A few bumps along the way but she has overcome them all very well. Bilateral is certainly a lot more challenging that having just one done like I did but the idea of only one recovery is so good. Do you have your own preop thread? I couldn't find it. If not, you should create one as the suggestions and support you will get is so helpful and encouraging. I wish you all the best.
 
Today is Day 19 postop and all is well. I am getting around without the cane all the time now although I will take it if I go to the store and I do usually use it when I get up in the night - just to be sure. I don't want to limp and I'm a little stiff after being in bed for a few hours.

Today I went for my first outpatient PT session. Most of the time was spent on paperwork and the therapist testing my range of motion, checking my walking, etc. She showed me a couple easy exercises and gave me a handout showing the exercises as I will probably forget half of them by tomorrow.

I have been doing a little more around the house although nothing strenuous. I cook dinner now, set the table, feed the dog and push the dust mop. I don't feel like I overdo because I don't feel that I need a nap during the day any more. I can now lay on both sides which is nice and I can get dressed, including socks, by using my dressing stick. I cannot feel the implant in my hip at all. It feels exactly like my regular one.

I cannot stress enough how helpful this forum has been in getting through all this starting when I discovered the forum several weeks before my surgery. The advice and support on here is absolutely amazing. I want to especially thank @Josephine, @Jaycey and @Jamie for checking all our posts and being right there to give us a high five or offer a helpful suggestion on how we can do better. There are others who are quick to comfort and support as well but too many to mention. SO a big thank you to everyone!!!
 
Thanks, GrannyC. It's wonderful to know we've been an help to you! It does sound like you are doing well and are on the road to a good life with your shiny new hip.
 
She showed me a couple easy exercises and gave me a handout showing the exercises as I will probably forget half of them by tomorrow.
Please don't - hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.
 
@Josephine I really haven't done much in the line of PT. I am concerned about getting my range of motion back so I can bend my leg up enough to put my sock on, ride a bike - things like that. Will that just come without any PT or should the PT come after I'm more healed. I exactly 3 weeks postop right now. Thank you.
 
@Josephine I really haven't done much in the line of PT. I am concerned about getting my range of motion back so I can bend my leg up enough to put my sock on, ride a bike - things like that. Will that just come without any PT or should the PT come after I'm more healed. I exactly 3 weeks postop right now. Thank you.

Granny me too April 27 today 3 weeks yay!! My first hip Is healing nicely at 22 weeks can't wait till #2 is just as strong !! The PT thing is a bit of a quandary for me too I don't want to push it but I'll do it if its beneficial like anything a moderate balance probably best. If anything I may do a couple outpatient sessions then go to hydrotherapy which they offer as well. I am very inspired by your progress you are amazing at the 3 week mark. I'm on the cane but feel I'm getting stronger daily can't wait to walk again pain free and cane free!! I'm being patient tho that's the overriding message I've gotten from my friends here. Time is the #1 healer and we all heal differently. So, as far as PT goes you decide you and your body will tell you what is right. I can't wait to put my socks on again unaided that's another milestone I will cherish!!

Keep up the good work and keep posting.

Have a happy day!

Chuckster
 
@chuckster It sounds like you are recovering well, too. We are all getting there slowly but surely. Keep up the good work!
 
On PT I won't do anything extream but I don't want to walk with a lump so w/o pain will work on it...Lol GrannyC I keep accidentally kicking my cane as it's by my good leg..... I prefer the Walker but must do both for now I hope your today rocks
 
Today for the first time in a while I feel tired. It doesn't seem like I have done anything to get tired but I suppose I puttered around the house more than I realized yesterday plus I walked around a very small grocery store, did a load of laundry and made dinner. Bottom line is that the main reason I have been feeling so good is because I wasn't doing much of anything. This calls for an early bed tonight and tomorrow I will feel much better I'm sure. I wonder how long it will be before we have more pep??
 
GrannyC you're human be kind to you. I don't know if you over did or not but rest tonight is yes in order read in bed or something... I don't know what it's like there but here it's been very hot it makes you tired too... sweet dreams
 
@MyAussieGirl Our weather here near Lake Ontario in northern NY is probably very similar to your weather in Michigan. We had one hot 80+ degree day and yesterday was in the 50's. Today it may be 60 or a few degrees warmer and the next few days are forecast to be about the same. At least it isn't raining so we can get outside.

I got a good night's sleep last night and feel much better today. Amazing what a little sleep can do :yes:
 
Glad you are feeling better. Today was my tired day
 
GrannyC glad you also got great sleep it sure makes a difference...We did drop temp wise and it's rained most of the day... I still went walking just IN the library and 1 small store...home made dinner spaghetti sauce then pasta and salad did the dishes.... hubby washed my hair in the sink then I'm like ice and rest lol...hubby got the Scrabble game out so I won't be on long but I was so glad you bounced back
 
Nicely done on that sleep GrannyC!! Amazing how a few hours can help the body. I'll never take sleep for granted especially during & after recovery :)
 
Good morning, GrannyC. Walking the kinks out and you were right. Very comforting to wake up at my own humble abode. Hope you had a decent night's rest and will have a good day. Rain in forecast here for next three days... Warm and humid.
 

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom