THR Glad to be in this side<

@Mojo333 Those rainy days stink as you can't get outside but they won't last. We have been having lots of rain along with cool weather here in northern NY state. Cool here is much cooler than cool in GA. Cool here this time of year during the day is 50 - 60 degrees.

It is now 3 1/2 weeks postop. I had my first real PT session yesterday. My first session last week but taken up with mostly paper work and testing to measure where I was at. Then my second session got canceled because the therapist's young son fell and broke his arm just before my lesson time so she had to take him to the hospital. Anyhow, the session went well and I really thought I'd be a bit sore and tired today but all is well. PT is not pushy. She gives me things to do and says to do what I can so that is good.

I've come to realize that I am very fortunate to have some "quiet" interests that have really helped me through this recovery time. I have a small home business where I do a lot of sewing and sell things to shops so I always have something I can work on. By the end of week one, I was able to get to my sewing room and sit at my machine for 30 minutes or so at a time and it sure did help pass the time. I also enjoy reading which I don't normally have time to do so I've finished one book and am half way through another. I had been learning to knit and I thought for sure I would pull that out and work on some little project but so far I haven't so that is waiting for another time. So many on here have outside interests that involve a lot of physical activity like biking, rowing, running, hiking, etc., so they have to curtail their interests during this recovery time. If anyone reads this who is anticipating surgery, you should really try to think ahead of what you will do with yourself during those many hours each day when you are recovering. TV and movies get old quickly. I found reading hard the first 2 weeks for some reason as I didn't seem to be able to concentrate on it but I had the sewing so that filled the void.

All in all I feel that I am doing very well. I keep the PT to a minimum, no more cane unless I'm going to walk a distance and then I bring it along just in case. I can get in and out of the shower ok so no more shower chair. My 3 steps leading outside seem more shallow than some so I am working on going up and down those 3 steps normally rather than one step at a time. I've been doing the one step thing for so long that I have to focus on doing steps normally again. I find I can now sit it some chairs without putting my foot out in front or without holding on now. All these things seem like kind of a big deal as we recover. I am sure someone who hasn't been through this wouldn't even notice.

To all my BoneSmart friends - I hope you have a great day. To those in the UK I send my deepest condolences along with thoughts and prayers for all those affected by the senseless violence in Manchester. It is such a tragic and cowardly act.
 
@GrannyC Glad you are getting so much better. We have had torrential rains, almost 5" and tornado warnings. I went up to the Food Bank to serve clients from 2-4, but we weren't busy because the weather was so bad. It almost was too long...I sat ALOT, but I started feeling tired and nauseated by the time I left. In the recliner with frozen vegetables on my legs and just resting. Granny, it is so funny. I do all that stuff, one stepping steps, holding on to everything. I AM piles better though and hope to catch up to you soon.
 
@Mojo333 Yes, I would think 2 hours would be a bit much. Maybe an hour at a time to start and then take a little paperwork home to work on. I bet you were glad to get there today though and see for yourself how things were going. I think you are doing amazing! I can't even imagine trying to get around with both hips done!!
 
How are things with you GrannyC ? You're very quiet maybe sewing and stuff but while I'm on the net I'm checking in...
 
@MyAussieGirl It's good to hear from you. I made a long post on my thread earlier today. All is well here though. How did your doctor visit go? I'll go check your thread to see if you posted.
 
I'll go back sweetie I must have missed it ....runs to your longer post
 
Found it sorry I'm duh...
Yes you are smart to have other inside interests not just out..
I do like reading and TV and oddly cleaning then it's all outside. I read 3 books a week give or take and did right out by of the hospital. I'm glad you warned new to surgery people to think ahead.
I'm impressed and so glad you're so far ahead a big plus for anterior method AND a loving caring network of friends and family ... That's the biggest plus IMO
 
@Josephine I am 4 weeks postop now. I have a stationary recumbent bike here at home and I am wondering if it is just as beneficial for my hip recovery to ride the bike as it is to walk?? I don't have a great place to walk outside as we live in a more rural area so I'd have to constantly be moving from the road to the shoulder of the road when there is traffic coming. Thanks for your thoughts on this.
 
Hey GrannyC...4 weeks and you want to know if you can ride your bike? Isn't that phenomenal! Do glad you are doing so well. You've been my inspiration. Without offense, I'm like... here I am so much younger whining like a cry baby and GrannyC plugging along pragmatically putting me to shame. Love, love,
 
Mojo, this is a stationary bike that is in my living room! I'm not talking going out on the road! I discovered at PT that by putting the seat back farther, I could actually make the pedals go all the way around. My first PT said to just push the pedals in one direction as far as I could and then go back in the opposite direction as far as I could. I definitely don't consider you a whiner by any stretch of the imagination. You had two hip replacements and I only had one so big difference there. I'm so glad to hear you are now walking better. And you went to work! Amazing!!
 
I live in the country too GrannyC and have no plans to walk outside minus my yard I go to stores and walk indoors.... I'm glad you're getting along so well still...steps...bike you name it I'm with mojo on this one too
 
Wonder if the pedaling motion affects your groin muscles any? My range of motion had gotten so limited before surgery that I noticed my groin muscles were super super drawn up and tight. Been getting better but feel like that motion would help/hurt while stretching out. Going to see if that might be something I could do
 
@Mojo333 I was able to do the bike ok before surgery although I still didn't use it much. When I first tried it after, I couldn't make the pedals go,all the way around. However, at PT last week she moved the seat back farther and then I could do it. I don't feel it in my groin and I don't hurt after so I wondered if it could possible replace the walking?? Luckily we have a stationary bike and it is situated so you can watch tv while riding. How convenient is that? you might very well be able to do it. You just have to put the seat way back. If you can't go all the way around with the pedals, you could do what my first PT told me to do. Pedal as far forward as you can until you feel it tightening, then make the pedals go the other way as far as you can. She said to just keep doing that and eventually I'd be able to go all the way around.
 
That does sound very handy. Hope you are planning on a peaceful weekend. I'm going to visit my dad, who had his knee replaced 2 weeks ago. About a 20 minute road trip and I'm happy to get out and see a little country. Hope your day is swell!
 
Hi Granny C - sounds like you are doing swell! Like you I have lots of quiet obsessions (definitely more than hobbies!) and so keep busy - drawing, reading and recently making dolls again. I can't sit at my computer for any stretch so my writing is suffering but that will change. I hand-sew the dolls which is fine. I'm off work until August so plan on having a dozen to take with me on our road trip in July.

Keep on keepin on!
 
Thanks Aussie Girl, I did sleep last night - finally! I'm out of tylenol and really don't want to go backwards to old heavy duty pain pills or sleeping pills so took some Melatonin and SLEPT!
I have another doll body cut out and will work on that today, plus we're having some family over for dinner. The fella is making curry, I'll make mango ice cream and parathas .
 
Mmm mango ice cream share lol.... I don't blame you on not wanting to go backwards... I think GrannyC is off pain meds too... I didn't take but 2 near bed.
 
Yes, I'm off all pain meds. One thing that I think makes a huge difference in each persons recovery is the condition they were in BEFORE surgery. I'm reading about some being confined to a wheel chair or being bent over in pain, etc. I was in pain but not as bad as many. I didn't need a cane to walk unless I was going a longer distance like to go around the mall. I also was able to sleep and nothing hurt if I didn't move. Because of this, I was able to stay fairly active - not as active as I would have been without OA but pretty active. I think this is at least part of the reason my recovery was a bit sooner than some others. Now this is only my theory and I have nothing to base it on but I'm putting it out there anyhow.
 

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom