THR Glad to be in this side<

Hi GrannyC.
Apologies for not getting back to you re the Bike Question.
Josephine is out for a bit recovering from Shoulder Surgery.
I used the stationary bike at low or no resistance from about 8Wks and found it very helpful as a compliment to walking.
Your Recovery is going well.
Joe.......
 
I've done more walking this past week and feel some weirdnesses. My knee also on my weaker leg hurt a little when I stepped down and I'm thinking the same thing, hope it is just because my leg is weak.
My sister and brother-in-law, my other home in the country where I recovered, have their garden growing. Actually harvested a few tomatoes and yellow squash this week. We have the best sugar sweet onions here in Georgia, Vidalia sweet onions, so I had sauteed squash and carmelized onions last night. They also planted some sweet corn and okra. We will put up the corn. My job is to sit in a baby swimming pool while they throw the shucked corn in around me and silt it!!! I can eat it raw!
Also, he leases some of his land and it is all in peanuts this year. It will be August before they are ready.
All I did was rest yesterday. I was exhausted! Hope I feel up to doing a little more today. Now my butt and back ache from sitting/laying.
Did sleep from 11-4 in the need... Longest time yet!
 
@Irish Joe Thank you for the response to my bike question. I did finally ask my PT about it (actually had more faith in Josephine's knowledge than any of my PTs which is why I asked her first) and she said each uses different muscles and you really should do both which is exactly what you said. I spent quite a bit of time on my feet during my day so I thought that might suffice but the last few days I have actually gone for a walk and see I can't walk that far before my hip starts to feel a bit tired. I guess I will have to gradually build up to longer walks. Thanks again for the response and I sure hope Josephine is feeling better soon. Sending healing thoughts her way.
 
Glad you're still doing well GrannyC .... I'm also mega glad you did some cool fun stuff like helping hubby pick out plants....we had ours in the ground around the holiday... I think hubby still has a couple things to put in but not much....mojo, you and I are all in different planting zones
 
@MyAussieGirl, @Mojo333 Yes, different planting zones for sure. We are just planting our tomatoes yesterday and Mojo is eating hers already! Did you plant vegs, MyAussieGirl, or just flowers? I only remember you mentioning flowers.

I have been trying to walk a little each day which I hadn't been doing before. I figured I walked a lot around the house and that was enough but now that I'm going out for a walk, I can see it is different and my hip gets tired after only a short walk so I need to keep doing it nearly every day if I can.
 
GrannyC I planted flowers but not in the ground I'm not allowed to kneel yet...... hubby planted our veggie garden......we have many veggies planted from tomatoes to onions even spuds.... I'm not sure he put the squash and cukes in yet

How much do you think is a good walk like....how long have you walked when you get sore?
 
@MyAussieGirl I'm fine - just keeping busy I guess so not posting quite as much. I'm sorry to hear you have so much to deal with besides your recovery. Just try to get some rest as that will help with the stress.

I have ny 6 week check with OS next week. Something has been making my hip seem stiff after I sit for a few minutes. I told PT and she said maybe one of 2 of my exercises might do it so she said to stop those for now. The stiffness isn't terrible but it is just that it wasn't there before. I am not going to do any exercises or PT for a week to see if it makes a difference.

Other than that all is well. I'm among the lucky ones and sleeping well. I'm fed up with all the rain over the past month but the sun is out today so yeah! It is still cool for this time of year here but that's ok if it is sunny. It's the cool plus the rain that is yucky.
 
@Josephine I am 4 weeks postop now. I have a stationary recumbent bike here at home and I am wondering if it is just as beneficial for my hip recovery to ride the bike as it is to walk??
GrannyC, I'm sorry Jaycey wasn't around to answer your call either but you appear to have received some good advice anyway. However, I think that, given your access to good sidewalks and such, using a bike might be a safer option than using a stationary bike!
 
@Josephine thank you for the response. It is good to see you back. I sure hope your recovery is going well. You are always right here for all of us so I'm sure I can speak for all the others, too, when I say we wish you well. Thank you for always being available to help us so much! You are the best!
 
GrannyC I'm glad you're just busy that's a GOOD reason to not be online.... I think it's healthy. We have a heat wave due and much sun

I'm sorry on your hip bothering you kinda suddenly... I think you're doing the right and smart thing...still it's normal to be concerned when new stuff shows it's face.... I would call the doctor if it keeps up after a week of rest... I'm just betting it's normal new **** showing up...day after I saw doctor in hospital and got rave reviews lol I have had this odd stinging where my scar is... I said screw it and ignore it today no problem lol.

Thanks on things here they have settled down much... Tom's mom didn't know stuff all is OK there now we do know Dad will die but bless him he is 97 ✝
 
@MyAussieGirl Wow - 97 is a good, long time. It is just so hard I'm sure to see him have to suffer like that. It is good they have been able to give him something so he can't feel the pain. You will still have some hard days ahead so stay strong and make sure you take care of yourself, too. :flwrysmile:
 
Thanks GrannyC I'm going to be posting in my thread in a minute but keep us in your prayers
 
I definitely will.

I have been doing quite a lot of walking the last couple of days. Previously my hip would start to ache when I had on,y gone a short distance so the last two days, I took my cane when I walked and that worked great. I could walk further and no negative after effects either.
 
Glad you are back to walking more comfortably. I have picked my cane back up also... My right hip doesn't like the first couple steps I take. After step 3.. I'm good but when I first step down pinching up near hip... But goes right away. Very strange but it was also the side that hurry worse before surgery so just weaker muscles I guess.
Hope you're getting nice weather for your garden. Here's hoping we both have a good good day.
 
GrannyC... Hope you're doing well. Are you busy?tired?bored?impatient?
I think about how comforting you were in my first days and see you are still spreading hope and encouragement!
Just wondered how YOU were?
 
@Mojo333, @MyAussieGirl @Minnie15 Yesterday was my six week postop check with my OS. It went very well and he seemed very pleased with my progress. I told him that a couple weeks ago I started feeling a bit stiff after sitting and I wondered if it was something from PT. He said it was just part of the healing process and that I don't need PT. He said I'm still healing and it will just continue to get better and better. I asked about going up stairs normally and said I can't do it smoothly and I can sometimes feel it in my knee. Again he said feeling it in my knee is most likely really because of my hip healing and that doing the stairs normally will come in time.

I mentioned my hip feels tired after walking not that far but it doesn't bother at all after I get back home. I asked if I should be using the cane for the walk or just tough through it as it doesn't really hurt - just aches. He suggested carrying the cane along and use it if I felt I needed it. He repeated that it will all continue to just get better and better.

I don't need to go back again until six months and at that visit I will see the PA.

Other than that there isn't much to report. I feel great and love that there is no more OA pain. I'm trying to make sure I walk each day and will try to practice the stair thing each day now. My sewing room sets down one step so I can put a chair on top of stairs while I stand below the one step. Then I can use the chair back as support to step up one step and then back down. That way I can do it more smoothly and help strengthen that leg. They had me stepping up on a box in PT to practice this so very similar. I don't plan to return to PT now that OS verified that I don't need it. The therapists were good and not pushy but I'm not going back.

I still marvel at how wonderful everyone is here on the forum and I thank the Lord that I found the forum prior to my surgery because it has truly helped through this journey. Everyone is so VERY helpful and VERY supportive and I thank each and every one of you! You are the best! :loveshwr:
 
I also am not really in pain but just super sore. Be interested to see whether PT thinks I'm where I need to be as I won't see the Dr again until Mid July.
I too feel blessed to have found this support system.
Glad all is well with you.
As far as our lingering issues, this too shall pass.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom