Guest viewing is limited

THR Glad to be in this side<

@GrannyC well done you're doing amazingly well! It's great when you achieve the next little thing isn't it.

I barely slept last night and I'm having dreadful toilet problems now! Having to speak to my doctor about advice. I'm just hoping it's all the medication for the constipation just going mad!
Feels like the hip is great and everything else going wrong! Thanks for your kind words re my home situation. Never saw it coming, has thrown me completely but as you say I'm looking for the positives every day it's the only way to get through.

Hope you've had a great day.
 
@Minnie15 I hope your toilet issues are resolving themselves. I had something similar for a few days but it has pretty much subsided now.

Today is day 8 postop and all is well. PT came yesterday and showed me how to safely use shower chair. Then she said she checked with dr office about the cane and it was fine for me to try if I felt up to it which I did. She recommended still using the walker if I'm tired and during the night for a few more days at least so I will do that. She also showed me how to use the cane to do the two steps to my sewing room. I'm anxious to get down there for a few minutes each day now and she said that is fine as I would just be sitting. It will give me something constructive to do that won't be too much work but it will be a good diversion and help pass the time. I took my first shower using the shower chair after she left. It felt great! Then I finally put on some sweatpants and tee rather than a nightgown. Then I was ready for a nap!

Last night for the first time I had trouble falling back to sleep after a bathroom trip about 4am so I moved to the couch which reclines way back and that helped so I was able to get more sleep. All in all I've been extremely blessed to this point as things have gone well for me. Having BS friends all around is a huge help as well. The advice and support on here is incredible!! Thank you everyone!!!
 
GrannyC, good for you and thanks for the positivity and the heads up with PT. Exhausted after 5 reps, girl said we will be doing 30...I counted 10...14...19..30! Hope you continue doing well
 
@Mojo333 after reading all the reports about PT on here and all the moderators saying if it hurts, don't do it, I decided to follow their advice. No way I will do 30'if it hurts st 10!!! My surgeon said PT does not help a hip heal. He did prescribe physical therapy but the order says strength and range of motion PT. I don't think my hip/leg will strengthen much until it is healed more so I'm not going to push it. Just my personal opinion!!
 
Next PT Monday... Glad to hear you are listening to your body... Will definitely be conscious of my capabilities and not try to get out of tough stuff because it's tough... I've been doing alot of my own exercises at home to keep things stretched out. Mornings are pretty rough... And my Monday PT is at 730 am...Aaargh. Thanks for your support
 
Today is Day Ten post op and all is well. When PT was here on Thurs she said I had the ok to switch to a cane if I was comfortable with it. I gave it a try and it worked very well so I have continued with the cane now. I feel like my gait is good and I don't think I limp at all. I do, however, still use the walker when I get up in the night just to be sure as I don't want to fall.

For the past four days I have only taken Tylenol 325mg and that seems to be working well. I have little to no swelling or pain so am icing less. I can get myself dressed using my dressing stick. Having said that, you should know I bought some sweatpants before surgery and they are a size larger than I would normally wear so they are fairly easy to get on. I like that they are loose and not rubbing against my incision. For my feet, I am still wearing the stockings and I do need help with those on my bad leg. Then over the stockings I wear slipper socks with the rubber grips on the bottom. I can manage to get those on with the help of the dressing stick (got it on Amazon for around $11.).

I can do the 2 steps down to my sewing area so I've gone down there for a short time each day to help pass the time. My husband is taking care of the house, laundry, meals, dog, etc. so I'm just doing my little walks and not a lot else. I do make my own breakfast and lunch and he makes dinner.

I've slept so much better the last several nights so that is a big help. I found that putting a pillow lengthwise under my bad leg seems to help me feel more comfortable. I can get in and out of bed on my own and have been doing that for around 5 days I'd guess. All in all I'm happy with my progress and I look forward to my dr visit on Wed to see what they say.

Once again, I want to say thank you to everyone on BoneSmart for all the support.
 
Hi everyone, I'm on day 6 and doing very well I think. I'm walking around indoors with confidence. The only problem I have is sleeping. Lying on my back for long periods gives me pain in my back and also a really bad burning sensation in my foot on my operated side (right). My muscles are also complaining as I haven't walked in a year while waiting for my surgery. No surprise there. Overall I'm pleased with progress.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
@Joan welcome to the other side. Why don't you start your own thread in the recovery area so that we can follow your journey?
 
@Joan Nice to hear you are recovering well. As Jaycee said, you should start a new thread so everyone can hear about your recovery and they might also be able to give you some tips on getting better sleep. I don't think that many people will see you mixed into this thread. I wish you a speedy recovery.
 
@GrannyC sounds like you are doing really really well. Glad to hear you are getting back to your interests, at least a little bit.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@Joan i am 13 days out and also have the heel pain while lying in bed. The slipper socks help me some but aren't a complete solution for me. Look forward to finding your thread.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Today is Day 12'and all is well. I did feel a little more soreness and tightness in my thigh yesterday but not unbearable by any stretch. I think it was a combination of sleeping on my good side the night before along with a little in home PT and walking a bit more. This morning it is better I think.

I had my third and last inhome PT yesterday. Next week I start PT as an outpatient. This PT was excellent and showed me things but was not at all pushy. Yesterday she showed me how to do steps to get outside and how to get in our pickup. Both proved to be easy so they will not be a problem. Since my surgery was on the right, getting in the passenger seat of the truck was easy. She said I can do light things around the house like load the dishwasher as long as I don't get over tired.

I'm enjoying being able to go to my sewing area and see as it feels constructive plus passes the time. I've got a couple books coming today which I'm anxious to start as I'm not a big fan of tv other than to check the news maybe once a day and watch s movie in the evening. Tomorrow is my follow up checkup so I'm hoping they say I can ditch the stockings :heehee:
 
Two week follow up appointment today with PA. They took X-ray and those looked good. She said I can ditch the stockings, continue 2 baby aspirin a day for another 4 weeks and I can drive once I feel I can handle it ok since I'm no longer taking the OxyContin- just Tylenol. It will be another week or two before I try it though since my right hip was done and it may be a little difficult to bend my leg enough to get into our pickup. She said to use the cane can until I can walk without limping and that will be soon. In fact my kitchen is small so I don't usually use the can walking around the last couple of days. Next appt in 4 weeks with OS. All is well.
 
Awesome news GrannyC I am so happy all seems to be going well for you .... I greatly admire you as you're a nice balance of kind, determined and maybe Feisty hehe
 
Thank you @MyAussieGirl but I don't think "feisty" is accurate :yes: I've been extremely blessed through this whole procedure with a fantastic surgeon who has an amazing staff that seems to run the smoothest of any medical office I ever dealt with. They are all very caring. The PT for my 3 in home sessions, was great. She showed me things I could do but she didn't push me to do them. She said to do them as I felt ready. I also have a husband who helped me at home and very supportive children. They all live away but they and their families showed their concern and support in various ways. Then there are all those on BoneSmart who are always here to cheer us on and encourage us to hang in there. All those things together have made this so very much easier and I feel truly very, very blessed!
 
Two week follow up appointment today with PA. They took X-ray and those looked good. She said I can ditch the stockings, continue 2 baby aspirin a day for another 4 weeks and I can drive once I feel I can handle it ok since I'm no longer taking the OxyContin- just Tylenol. It will be another week or two before I try it though since my right hip was done and it may be a little difficult to bend my leg enough to get into our pickup. She said to use the cane can until I can walk without limping and that will be soon. In fact my kitchen is small so I don't usually use the can walking around the last couple of days. Next appt in 4 weeks with OS. All is well.

Great update Granny I'm headed to PA tomorrow for 2 week appt looking forward to it ....you and I both April 27 so I enjoy following your progress . I am basically exactly where you are I'm noticing in the kitchen I can move a bit without the cane too . I am committed to baby steps not gonna push anything ...I am going to ask about driving and precautions tomorrow as well. I also has an amazing surgeon and medical staff has been awesome. That along with family, friends, and BoneSmart support is invaluable to my recovery. I am SO excited to have two shiny new hips this summer and be finally free of the brutal agony of end stage OA. Cheers to you and all our friends here !!

Chuckster
 
GrannyC you sure are blessed I love my doctor his staff is cool but they all go slowly here like no home PT but lots of in center PT starting in a couple days.... I am so glad you have such a supportive family that makes it much easier and I bet the time goes faster.... I was just playing with you on feisty I am silly lots
 
I consider feisty to be self confident and sticks up for oneself. I think you are feisty GrannyC. You have some things in your terms and I've been glad to see how you are doing because we all know our bodies better than anyone else does and you seem determined and positive which is encouraging to me when I read your posts. Hope you have a great day!!!
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom