TKR Gingerbread's RTKR Recovery Marathon

Gingerbread, can you show your husband some of the posts here about how well some of us improved withOUT the PT exercises?

I did NONE! Heel slides a bit, ankle pumps alot, but not the others. I reached 120 (with no other complications or challenges for other reasons) by 13 weeks and am finished with PT now. I'm walking about 1.5 miles a day, long strides with Nordic walking poles to improve my stride length and level of evenness of weight on both legs, I can do everything I need to do, and NO exercises, no aggressive PT, just ADL. There are many, many of us!

I just wish I could stop over and chat with you and your husband and reassure you guys that you will be very much better very much faster without the pushing!!
 
I have a question for everyone. Has anyone used CBD post op for pain? I go to the surgeon in an hour and I will need a refill on the Oxycodone. I only need it at night and morning, as nights are dreadfully painful still right up until about now ( 8 am). Has anyone had success with CBD products or medical marijuana? I live in a state where it is legal. I really want off this Oxycodone, to the least medication possible.
Thanks in advance

I am so sorry all you are dealing with, Gingerbread! I had similar pain with TKR #1 in 2016, so I can relate. Thankfully, YOUR doctor was accessible! Mine was not and the gatekeepers were horribly cruel! But, I survived, although I waited 5 years to do #2, too!

Yes: I use CBD which is legal in Oregon. I use an organically grown and prepared tincture as well as a salve with herbs on my knee, now that the incision has closed. I'm about 16 weeks out from surgery.

Prior to this surgery, I was able to use the tincture at night in order to sleep more soundly, and I could re-take it if I awakened in the middle of the night. I also used the salve on my knee pre-surgery. I did not use any other pain remedy pre-surgery for the year before this surgery. Not the case in 2016...

This surgery, I knew well in advance that I would NOT take an opioid and in fact, they don't automatically offer it now; Tramadol is the first line of pain relief now, here at least. I have a very BAD reaction to the opioids, and I think Tramadol is related, but not the same strength, BUT, opioids didn't help my pain in 2016, but before surgery, I had no clue that was the case. I had never had surgery before. They simply do NOT work for me. But, who knew that in 2016!

Tis year, I was able to wean off the Tramadol* within the first 5 weeks; last time I didn't get to take it until 6 weeks because I spent a month trying to get help and had enough Oxycodone to last that long, even though I had a horrible time trying to get some relief since it barely helped.

I'm not sure where you are, but these two preparations did work well for me and are still working. I only need the tincture at night, unless I join the ODIC (OverDid It Club) by walking faster than my knee prefers, etc! I use the salve prior to my walks, or before I head out to drive farther than usual, etc.

I'm sorry this wasn't within the hour needed, though!
One more thing (actually, two!): I had a difficult time after my first TKR as I said. I also was threatened with the dreaded MUA at about the 6 week mark when I had not yet achieved a ROM of 120, back in 2016. That's about when I found Bonesmart! I changed what I was doing! I did no more aggressive PT, told the PT I was the only one who could push my knee, no other hands on, and I did NOT go back to see the OS UNTIL I reached 120, at about 4 months. No MUA then! That knee has been my rock ever since, and I had come to totally rely on it to support me as the right knee worsened.

Oh, one other thing: I have a recliner, a supportive, floofy pillow AND a rolling table that fits OVER the recliner so I work with my leg in the air at about 90 degrees out from my hips. I can work there for about an hour before I need to get up and move around some... A friend borrowed a recliner form someone for her surgery, so perhaps you can rig something like that up? Ask me for links if you want to know what I use to work...
You've been so kind with all your helpful responses.
Yes, I would greatly appreciate links to what would work.
On to your next post :)
 
Gingerbread, can you show your husband some of the posts here about how well some of us improved withOUT the PT exercises?

I did NONE! Heel slides a bit, ankle pumps alot, but not the others. I reached 120 (with no other complications or challenges for other reasons) by 13 weeks and am finished with PT now. I'm walking about 1.5 miles a day, long strides with Nordic walking poles to improve my stride length and level of evenness of weight on both legs, I can do everything I need to do, and NO exercises, no aggressive PT, just ADL. There are many, many of us!

I just wish I could stop over and chat with you and your husband and reassure you guys that you will be very much better very much faster without the pushing!!

From your lips to God's ears.
My hubby thinks the word of the MD and PT are not to be deviated from.
Amazing, because I did nothing but holistic remedies after my cancer (I did do radiation, which was a mistake) and here I am, almost 10 years cancer free...so he knows the traditional ways aren't always best!
I will share your posts with him.
So grateful for you & everyone with your kind words and encouragement :)
 
My husband, athlete that he was (high school basketball coach for 20 years) also believed the formal PT was important. I told him I was not an athlete and I was not training to go to the Olympics, and as the early weeks went by he could see how the PT was causing constant setbacks for me.

As the phrase goes, “at the end of the day,” he agreed that it was my decision as to how much of the PT I would do, and how I would manage my recovery and rehab.

I‘m not always compliant with doctors, but in this case I was afraid to go against my surgeon‘s and PTs opinions on this rehab, but after being hurt several times by both of them I took charge of my own recovery and did what I wanted with it. It is now 4 years later and I will not be intimidated by medical professionals that I don’t agree with.

People are all different, as are the approaches to this recovery and rehab. The key is, “Find what works for you.“ Your doctors, PTs and BoneSmart are available to help, but you are the final judge as to the recovery approach you choose.
 
It's not that you have to totally give up exercises (if in moderation they work for you)--but like Jockette said, you're not training for the Olympics. :wink:

Interestingly, my OS was much more laissez-faire than my PT.
 
Wow, really?! Arnica Massage Oil, huh? Did you putvitvon the whole knee, even the scar? I was told not to put anything on it. I'm game to try anything.

No, avoid applying directly to the incision, especially during the first few weeks of healing. Hope you give it a try, works for me better than the oral meds.
 
Gingerbread: I have been following your progress. I am a trained Physical Therapist Assistant and see the value in PT but now having gone thru a Total Knee replacement I would do somethings differently if I go back to treating patients. Thanks to covid I lost my job of 32 years. I believe that getting full extension is soooo important. Your gait will be screwed up if you don’t get it to zero which then causes a myriad of other issues ( back, hip etc). Good luck working next week. Be good to yourself and enjoy those grandkids. I can’t wait ( 1 more month).
 
@Gingerbread, I'm so sorry to hear of all the stress that you're experiencing with your recovery. I can see you're in a difficult position trying to please others and do what you feel is right for yourself. In the end, you MUST listen to what your body is telling you and respond accordingly. As much as all these people want you to be at a particular place at a given time in your recovery, your body may have other ideas. You know yourself better than anyone.

You aren't even quite a month out from your surgery. You have time! Recovery sometimes can be excruciatingly slow, especially when we have other health issues that factor in. It is important that you are moving to at least bend and stretch your knee several times a day for at least 5-10 minutes. Using a stationary bike (even if you can't yet go all the way around) is also a good exercise that's gentle on your knee. It's important not to push to the point of real pain. That just adds to inflammation in your knee, more swelling and additional pain. It's a bad cycle to get into.

Extension is critical, but it's often the last thing to come around for some patients. There are some stretching exercises you can do that may help it along.

Extension: how to estimate it and ways to improve it

Try to allow yourself and your body the time needed to properly heal. As long as you are not experiencing a lot of pain and swelling and you're making small progress from week to week, you are okay. Don't let others make you feel like you're failing at recovery. Most people don't begin to feel that they are returning to normal again until at least the 3-6 month time frame.
 
Hello everyone!
Well here I am awake, as usual.
It's 12:45 EST. I feel like.a newborn who has their days and nights mixed up lol!
Today ( rather yesterday ) was a surprisingly good day. I walked my dog in our yard for 20 minutes (we have a few acres and the usual route normally takes 8 minutes max). I used a stick fashioned from a garden tool (garden tool removed), wore my rainboots and off I went. I was exhausted but exhilarated when done. I missed these walks so much with my dog (he was happy too!).
Went to PT and my flexion has improved. I did the exercises with some discomfort but not nearly as bad as before. I do not know if I have turned a corner (I am well aware I may regress) but it feels like an achievement none the less. My PT was pleased as was my husband.
Now if I could only sleep at night! I take melatonin yet here I am. I also had to take an Oxycodone unfortunately this evening, after all that stress on the knee today. Didn't need one yesterday. Weaning off those and thank God because I loathe the grogginess and mental fog.
 
I'm laying here in agony.
I did my PT exercises today and a short ( < 10 ) minute walk around the yard.
I'm on Tylenol 1000 mg Q 8 hours, Tramadol 50 mg Q 6 hours and Naproxen 250 Q12 hours.
I don't want to take the Oxycodone 5 mg.
I have to start work ( I know I've droned on about it, it's terrifying me actually ) Monday and even one makes me foggy for the next 24 hours. I was praying by now to be past this horrific pain.
To make matters worse, I am coming down with a sore throat/cold as my husband has been ill ( consequence of caretaking me and not getting proper rest ).
I fear this will never end and I will fail at work.
I am absolutely regretting this surgery.
 
Last edited:
I'm laying here in agony.
I did my PT exercises today and a short ( < 10 ) minute walk around the yard.
I'm on Tylenol 1000 mg Q 8 hours, Tramadol 50 mg Q 6 hours and Naproxen 250 Q12 hours.
I don't want to take the Oxycodone 5 mg.
I have to start work ( I know I've droned on about it, it's terrifying me actually ) Monday and even one makes me foggy for the next 24 hours. I was praying by now to be past this horrific pain.
To make matters worse, I am coming down with a sore throat/cold as my husband has been ill ( consequence of caretaking me and not getting proper rest ).
I fear this will never end and I will fail at work.
I am absolutely regretting this surgery.

No way could I have gone back to work after 4 weeks and been productive. I have an online business and I could not focus more than 30 minutes at a time on it until week 6. Just starting to catch up now and have to sit at my desk with my leg propped up to keep it straight or it will start aching after a short while if bent and sitting.

Update on CBD. I have taken one 10 mg CBD gummie in morning and one at night. 3 so far. I also have a chapstick consistency CBD/THC "lotion" I put on my knee. Hard to tell if either do anything. I feel decent today but hard to tell if the gummies and lotion are doing anything. My knee is still swelled to about the same as always. I think the lotion was $45 and the gummies $20 so not cheap.

At this point I also regret surgery, but if in 6 months my knee is not stiff and bends normally I will change my mind.
 
I'm laying here in agony.
I did my PT exercises today and a short ( < 10 ) minute walk around the yard.
I'm on Tylenol 1000 mg Q 8 hours, Tramadol 50 mg Q 6 hours and Naproxen 250 Q12 hours.
I don't want to take the Oxycodone 5 mg.
I have to start work ( I know I've droned on about it, it's terrifying me actually ) Monday and even one makes me foggy for the next 24 hours. I was praying by now to be past this horrific pain.
To make matters worse, I am coming down with a sore throat/cold as my husband has been ill ( consequence of caretaking me and not getting proper rest ).
I fear this will never end and I will fail at work.
I am absolutely regretting this surgery.

No way could I have gone back to work after 4 weeks and been productive. I have an online business and I could not focus more than 30 minutes at a time on it until week 6. Just starting to catch up now and have to sit at my desk with my leg propped up to keep it straight or it will start aching after a short while if bent and sitting.

Update on CBD. I have taken one 10 mg CBD gummie in morning and one at night. 3 so far. I also have a chapstick consistency CBD/THC "lotion" I put on my knee. Hard to tell if either do anything. I feel decent today but hard to tell if the gummies and lotion are doing anything. My knee is still swelled to about the same as always. I think the lotion was $45 and the gummies $20 so not cheap.

At this point I also regret surgery, but if in 6 months my knee is not stiff and bends normally I will change my mind.
Thank you for your insight into your return to work & your experience thus far with CBD gummies & "lotion". I am willing to try anything that will help me sleep, doesn't make me a zombie...essentially returns me to a normally functioning human being.
The good thing about working from home and being salaried is I can stagger my hours. I have a meeting with my director Monday & will be telling her I may need a nap or two...but will always put in my 8 + hours.
 
I am curious, if there a reason you can't take a couple more weeks off from work? I bet if you moved your return date by at least 2 more weeks, you would be more prepared to face things, mentally and physically.
I understand completely wanting to return, I am self employed and there were no paid sick days or vacation days.
It was a bitter pill to swallow but in the end it all worked out for the best.

Please reconsider and hey what a perfect time to tell your manager that you just aren't ready yet. It's worth a try, right?

Good luck and want you to know that I am rooting for you and your recovery, it's still in it's infancy, lot's of positive changes coming around the corner.
 
I am curious, if there a reason you can't take a couple more weeks off from work? I bet if you moved your return date by at least 2 more weeks, you would be more prepared to face things, mentally and physically.
I understand completely wanting to return, I am self employed and there were no paid sick days or vacation days.
It was a bitter pill to swallow but in the end it all worked out for the best.

Please reconsider and hey what a perfect time to tell your manager that you just aren't ready yet. It's worth a try, right?

Good luck and want you to know that I am rooting for you and your recovery, it's still in it's infancy, lot's of positive changes coming around the corner.
I actually told work I would be back August 9th...:rotfl:
Not in my wildest dreams did I fathom recovery like this. I thought it'd be smooth sailing...
My MD isn't giving me any more time away, therefore no way other than "personal" (which I have exhausted) time to use at work.
I work for a national insurance company which is lenient with leave, etc.. However, I know my team and the projects & work that have piled up since my leave won't be taken care of by anyone else. That's not how it works. I can't be away any longer, with Q4 almost here it's crunch time so to speak in insurance land...
I'm hoping the work will distract me from my leg & tire me enough to sleep at night.
If it doesn't I may end up in our local lock down unit.
 
Hi Gingerbread… perhaps you’re up late again too? Maybe, like me, you can cobble together a good setup for yourself to work? Perhaps then it won’t be so horrific? Here is what I did, in an effort to let my knee be elevated, with ice application options possible.

I set up my recliner with pillows sufficient to let me sit comfortably with my leg up at 90 degrees, a pillow behind my back for support there, a table on each side, and I purchased a rolling table that I could keep off to the side but rotate over my lap with my computer on the table. I still needed to get up once an hour to walk around, get or put back ice packs, etc. So, maybe consider how, with your home set up possibilities, you can set something up so your leg isn’t dangling down all those hours. The leg being down was the worst for me: it just made everything hurt! Really, the only thing I didn’t already have was the rolling table; I did repurpose other things, of course! One table even has a place for my cat, since she likes to park herself in front of my computer so she gets lol the attention!

This sort of adaptation might help you gain enough confidence to keep some fear at bay? My best antidote to fear seems to be “find a way to make it work”, and I can’t always do that, but sometimes I can…

Sending pain-free thoughts your way!
 
Hi Gingerbread… perhaps you’re up late again too? Maybe, like me, you can cobble together a good setup for yourself to work? Perhaps then it won’t be so horrific? Here is what I did, in an effort to let my knee be elevated, with ice application options possible.

I set up my recliner with pillows sufficient to let me sit comfortably with my leg up at 90 degrees, a pillow behind my back for support there, a table on each side, and I purchased a rolling table that I could keep off to the side but rotate over my lap with my computer on the table. I still needed to get up once an hour to walk around, get or put back ice packs, etc. So, maybe consider how, with your home set up possibilities, you can set something up so your leg isn’t dangling down all those hours. The leg being down was the worst for me: it just made everything hurt! Really, the only thing I didn’t already have was the rolling table; I did repurpose other things, of course! One table even has a place for my cat, since she likes to park herself in front of my computer so she gets lol the attention!

This sort of adaptation might help you gain enough confidence to keep some fear at bay? My best antidote to fear seems to be “find a way to make it work”, and I can’t always do that, but sometimes I can…

Sending pain-free thoughts your way!
I have a little sling ottoman I put underneath my desk, I already tried it out and it feels ok-certainly not as comfortable as my recliner. Unfortunately my work from home office is in my bedroom; I'll have to go up & down stairs more often than I should when my husband returns to work a week from Monday. Maybe by then I'll be more stable. The problem is, as I am sure many people have, is the sheer amount of "stuff" at my desk needed to accomplish my job. I literally have 8 notebooks, tons of sticky notes, a laptop, key board, mouse, and a small tv I use a second monitor. I work with Excel spreadsheets, Powerpoint, Word, Adobe, etc daily so to have a small screen is not an option.
I have a question: Has anyone ever tried wrapping their knee with plastic wrap at night? I found a Youtube video where a gentleman suggests wrapping the knee after applying lotion (if your incision is closed), or wrapping over white paper towels (if the incision still has staples/ is open). The comments on the video suggest it works for some people. I am willing to try anything.
 
Yes, I tried the plastic wrap thing! Thought it was going to be a waste of time, but still had a go.

Amazingly it helped reduce the sensitivity of my knee! I was finding if a bed sheet or a clothing hem touched my scar it made me jump and could even wake me up some nights. I think the constant gentle feeling of the plastic touching me took away the suddenness of touch (if that makes any sense) After a few nights of this I found my sensitivity was greatly reduced.
So I went on to wear a very soft (well worn out)! pair of footless tights during the day and soon found my sensitive feeling eased off greatly.
 
Yes, I tried the plastic wrap thing! Thought it was going to be a waste of time, but still had a go.

Amazingly it helped reduce the sensitivity of my knee! I was finding if a bed sheet or a clothing hem touched my scar it made me jump and could even wake me up some nights. I think the constant gentle feeling of the plastic touching me took away the suddenness of touch (if that makes any sense) After a few nights of this I found my sensitivity was greatly reduced.
So I went on to wear a very soft (well worn out)! pair of footless tights during the day and soon found my sensitive feeling eased off greatly.
I really appreciate your response and I am so glad it worked for you!
It reminds me of sleeping with a bar of soap near your legs for restless legs syndrome...it works for some people!
I am going to try it tonight & will report back tomorrow evening (if I am still alive after 8 hours of work :beg:)
Thank you everyone who reads & has helped me thus far. You are angels :)
Moderators, could you please change the name of my thread to "Gingerbread's RTKR Recovery Marathon" ? :thankyou:
 
One lady on YouTube puts cabbage leaves in the wrap. I wouldn't want to walk around smelling like cabbage though!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom