Guest viewing is limited

TKR Gingerbread's RTKR Recovery Marathon

PLease give us an update when you can. Hoping its going better for you
 
I hope things are settling a bit, and definitely speak up to PT's who cause too much stress and pain. It's hard - I had to do it. As for your new grandchild, take comfort in knowing that when you do see him/her, you'll be strong enough to hold, cuddle, and love that bundle without wincing in pain. I've been there too. Each week brings progress, and some backsteps; this takes patience, but you're doing so well and advocating for yourself. (Remember when you ask patients " on a scale of 1 to 10, where is your pain?". Well now we know what a 10 feels like! Hang in there.
 
I hope things are settling a bit, and definitely speak up to PT's who cause too much stress and pain. It's hard - I had to do it. As for your new grandchild, take comfort in knowing that when you do see him/her, you'll be strong enough to hold, cuddle, and love that bundle without wincing in pain. I've been there too. Each week brings progress, and some backsteps; this takes patience, but you're doing so well and advocating for yourself. (Remember when you ask patients " on a scale of 1 to 10, where is your pain?". Well now we know what a 10 feels like! Hang in there.
Oh my gosh...yes, I knew a 10/10 from labor with both my daughters many moons ago lol but yes...10/10 is no laughing matter. I seriously wanted to die at some points, to crawl out of myself...there's no other way to describe it. I am somewhat better these past 2 days although still dependent upon the Oxycodone to keep those 10's away. I am doing what feels good and letting go what doesn't. Oh & no PT until at least the end of next week so there's that good news. My daughter is going to be induced Sunday Evening-so Monday I'll be visiting my granddaughter ❤️. Thank you everyone for your well wishes & kind comments
 
I am laying here in bed with ice on my knee. The pain is about an 8. Last night was terrible. Even taking an extra oxycodone at 4 hours instead of 6 did barely anything to take away the pain. Right now I am almost besides myself again. What do I do? I have no sign of infection. But the pain is getting worse, not better. I am at the point where I want to crawl out of myself, as I said last night. Oh my gosh I'm desperate.
 
The first 3 weeks can be really challenging. Try to relax, distract yourself from concentrating on the pain. Watch a movie. :prayer:
 
I texted my surgeon again (on a Saturday morning!). I waited until 9:45 to send it but I basically said I am desperate for pain relief as the pain has gotten worse, not better. He said to increase the Oxy to 2 instead of one and when I see him on Wednesday he will be doing another X ray to be sure things are still moving in the right direction. I sent him a new picture of my knee & he said it is looking better; and that it's not a problem to contact him with any changes.
Being a nurse, I know MD's value their time, and don't like on call from the office, let alone directly from a patient. But, he gave me his # & said to contact if I needed to...well, I needed to! This squeaky wheel got the grease :tiredwheel:
 
Good to hear you were able to consult with your doc. As you probably know, once the pain gets a foothold it can take a while to knock back. IIRC at 3 weeks I was still on an every 4 hours schedule.
Hope the ice, elevation and new pain med regimen does the trick for you.
 
Oh how I wish I had answers and pain relief for you. I'm glad you can contact your doctor, that is rare I believe. Set your alarm and around the clock take your medications on time. You'll be able to get ahead of the pain.

How about popping in your earbuds and chilling out with your knee iced and elevated? Move around minimally and back to babying your knee. It's not happy and your suffering because of it.

Hopefully tonight you can at least get some uninterrupted sleep. Keep reporting in, we're here to help.
 
Thanks @kneeper & @eaglemom . Yesterday I was alone for a few hours and although I was set up to only need to go to the bathroom if necessary, I did some wobbling around as I was so bored. You're right about babying my knee. It deserves it. I've pushed it to it's limit since youth; time for a reprieve.
 
Granddaughter arrived this morning at 1:40 a.m. :angel:I am exhausted as I was up the entire day & most of the night before anticipating her arrival. Baby & Mom happy & healthy :) Great news to make recovery more meaningful!
 
I have a question for everyone. Has anyone used CBD post op for pain? I go to the surgeon in an hour and I will need a refill on the Oxycodone. I only need it at night and morning, as nights are dreadfully painful still right up until about now ( 8 am). Has anyone had success with CBD products or medical marijuana? I live in a state where it is legal. I really want off this Oxycodone, to the least medication possible.
Thanks in advance
 
My pain levels were off the charts with my first TKR. I was on coumadin for clot prevention and couldn't take NSAIDs. My current surgeon has me take aspirin for clot prevention, which means I can take Aleve which helps immensely. That, keeping the PT gentle and icing works well. I do appreciate my 1/2 oxycodone at bedtime!
 
I have a question for everyone. Has anyone used CBD post op for pain? I go to the surgeon in an hour and I will need a refill on the Oxycodone. I only need it at night and morning, as nights are dreadfully painful still right up until about now ( 8 am). Has anyone had success with CBD products or medical marijuana? I live in a state where it is legal. I really want off this Oxycodone, to the least medication possible.
Thanks in advance
I have been using CBD gummies since week 2 or 3. (legal here).No THC, just CBD....10 mg ..
 
@60somethingsusa , do you use the gummies for moderate pain? Do they take it away completely or just take the edge off? Also, do you recommend a brand, or do you buy local?
I know I need to consult with my MD before adding anything to my regime.
Thank you :)
 
Just to say what a brave lady and so glad you got the right answer from your OS
Speedy recovery from now on
 

Staff online

  • Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Roy Gardiner
    Staff member since February, 23, 2013
Back
Top Bottom