MUA Getting Back in the Saddle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello Alison,
I'm sorry you had such a bad day. Could you please explain consultant ? Is that your doctor ? I thought you
Where seeing your doctor that did the M.U.A & scope. I had to get a plate & screws removed, before my replacement
Could fit. Same operation :yikes: are your plates & screws near your replacement ? I would take my x-ray &
Read what the radiologist wrote...they are very detailed. They are your records & you are entitled to have them.
I've seen Josephine read members x-rays on line & find a problem.
If you can get your x-rays maybe she could take a look for you.
If there is any happiness to be found in this day.... :egypdance: I am so happy you got to ride Rueben !!!!!!!
Thinking of you,
Diana :flwrysmile:
 
Just hope I can get it in the stirrups - perhaps they will have to wait until I'm asleep and then jam it in
Of course they don't do that! There are alternative leg supports where the leg can be almost out straight. They are called Lloyd Davis supports. There are plenty of people who can't bend their legs for one reason or another so it's not an uncommon thing to deal with. Just keep telling everyone in the theatre that your leg is stiff and painful and not to be bent at all!
Yes, the PTs from the Rehab Team are very sneaky .... and they always write "Alison consented to treatment" on my notes.
That's fraud and you should report it to the CEO of the hospital at once! She's not supposed to do that.
they teach you how to self catheterise and send you home with the tubes to put in yourself
Honestly, it's not that big a deal. Not much different to using tampons when you have a period. Don't let it scare you.

As for that appointment, by all means write to the consultant but I wouldn't adopt an angry tone, just "I was very disappointed not to see you as I had lots of questions to ask". You could also list the questions and concerns you have, just to make it clear.

The usual protocol is that consultants see new patients and returnees are seen by the registrars. Ask him for another soon appointment and when the date comes through, ring his secretary and check the boss is actually going to be in clinic that day and that you are on his list and not the registrar's.

Most consultants aren't uncaring but they do often have overloaded schedules and are running around like a Chinese jugglers trying to keep lots of plates spinning on sticks! They are constantly being paged by people, have meetings, clinics, ward rounds and theatre sessions. I'm not trying to excuse him, just saying there is a reason why it makes administrative sense for registrars to see the returnees when most of patients just come for a quick check-up and 'on your way' kind of thing. That wasn't the case for you but he probably didn't know or didn't even know you had an appointment that day. Had I known, I would have advised you to phone his secretary a couple of days beforehand and ask her to make sure you were on his list. Do let me know when he responds to you and what he has to say.
 
Could you please explain consultant ?
In the UK, a consultant is what you call doctor or surgeon. It's a senior post in our NHS hospitals. The registrar is the doctor who is also a fully qualified surgeon but currently training in orthopaedics (unlike your residents or interns) and his next job will be a consultant in his own right.
They are your records & you are entitled to have them.

Not in the UK.
 
Hi Diana new knee in June

Josephine has explained what I mean by Consultant (OS) and the registrar. Hence my disappointment at being seen by someone who did not do the surgery nor seemed to have any knowledge of it! A waste of time!
I had my plate and pins removed in March 2012 which was why I couldn't understand the point of looking at those old xrays. I felt he should be looking at the new ones in detail - to see what was going on and if there were signs of loosening or problems. Yes, they were down my tibia and across the tibial plateau at the joint level - that fracture was the start of all my knee problems as the ligaments and meniscus was damaged too and I was left with a defect meaning the knee was unstable.
I really wish I could have access to my records like you have in the US. There is a process in the NHS were I can apply for them - I might do that - but I believe it takes ages!
I can't decide whether to write to my Consultant or just try and forget it and see what happens next with my knee. Maybe I am just a slow healer! I was annoyed with myself for not saying something then and there, and instead of being persistent I was quiet and didn't stand up for myself :hissy:

At least I have been able to get on my horse :SUNsmile:

Thank you for thinking of me
Alison
 
Hi Alison,
Josephine said to get in touch with the consultant for another app. With questions in hand, always
Write down your questions, it saves so much time. I know you have concerns with your knee & they should
Be answered. Do you think you can wait 3 more months ? If not, please get on the phone & set-up an app.
With your O.S as soon as you can. Your mind needs to be put at ease.
Your head must be spinning with everything on your plate....I hope it get's better for you :console2:
Thinking of you always,
Diana :flwrysmile:
 
Alison, we had a very similar thing with my husbands hospital cardiology appointment. Instead of seeing the consultant, he saw the registrar, who had never seen him before and was not familiar with his history. We had lots of questions and none of them were answered, so we came away feeling very unsatisfied.

As we couldn't get another hospital appointment until after Christmas, we have asked for a private appointment with the consultant. It's a half hour appointment and will cost us $220, so we will certainly have a written list of questions.

New Zealand, like the UK, has a national health service. This is very good at dealing with emergencies, but routine follow-up and non-urgent conditions are sometimes under-sourced.
 
Hi Allison,
First I want to say your horses are gorgeous and CLEAN! How is that possible? :) Mine are still out in the fields being horses and they are filthy!!

Second thing I want to say is I just want to give you a HUGE hug. I had tears in my eyes when I read that your sadist PT person did that to you. I always tell my PT, and I've had a ton of them with all of my surgeries, that if they hurt me, I am not responsible for what might happen to them if they hurt me. I have done exactly what Rest Assured has done. I think the problem with a lot of these people is they are young and haven't had a lot of pain inflicted on them. Please, please, PLEASE don't go back to that person. If you do, have your husband come in with you so she can't do that kind of thing to you again. UGH! I want to come over and bop her one for you! :hairpulling:

Third, I am appalled you went all the way into see your OS and you never got any answers! That really doesn't seem fair or alleviate your fears? Your system is is very different than ours is. :umm:

Fourth, I'm INCREDIBLY jealous that you rode Rueben!!!!! I love it! It's amazing he was so good and calm for you since he is so young. Heck even my old guys would be trying to buck me off or run away with me. Congratulations for that and what a wonderful kind boy you have! I bet that was a ray of sunshine after all of this. Hopefully that put a huge smile on your face.

Take care and I'm thinking about you. Jen
 
Good Morning Alison,
I hope this morning finds you happy & pain-free :) Does your O.S have a phone # that you can call, if you have
Concerns & talk to someone ? I won't compare health systems in other countries :no-fin: what do I know.
My surgeon replaced my husbands shoulder, his hip, my Osteotomy, my knee replacement. I always joke that
We bought his new yacht :rotfl: :loll: every time we had an app. It was with him, I can't imagine seeing
Someone who has no idea about your surgery & looking at 3 yr. old x- rays :headbang: so...frustrating
Thinking of you always,
Diana...."June Sunbeams" :SUNsmile:
 
Diana - Thanks for your thoughts. I have composed a letter to my OS although I haven't posted it yet as I'm waiting to hear back from the Physio. I told her on Friday what had happened and she was annoyed as she wanted an answer about the clunking and instability too. She said she would call my OS's secretary and tell her she was concerned and say I got no answers from the Registrar. If that doesn't get me an appointment then I will send my letter. I am feeling happier now that I have a plan :) Although the Physio is rougher than I would like :yikes: she does seem to be on my side so I am happy with her input.

Our NHS system is very different to yours in the US, remember it is totally free so because of this you do not have the freedom to make demands and essentially "get what you're given" which might be good or it might be bad depending on who you see or what hospital you go to.

I need to stop thinking about my knee really and give some thought to my Gynae op which is on Friday i.e pack my bag and think about what supplies to get in for when I return home. I am doing a great job at burying my head in the sand with this one! Including thinking about what the recovery will be like!

Jen - Thank you too for your thoughts. Clean?? Ruben is very muddy and enjoys paddling in the boggy bit of the field. Both horses are still out 24/7 and enjoying their freedom. Muffin has sweet itch so he is covered with a hoody and mask so that does give him some protection from the mud. I think you're right about the Physio - she does scar massage hard enough to cause actual bruising and I am not sure she realises how hard she is doing it. Just tells me I have a low pain threshold. I can't change her though - this is the NHS team!

Ruben is a little star - he was such a good boy. I have done a few short sessions on him and the next step is to take him out on the road and bridleway. He is only 4 so everything has to be done slowly with him but he is a really kind horse, not a bad bone in his body.

As for my knee, continues to clunk away when I walk, lift my leg, bend my leg etc. Physio has suggested patellar instability? Pain is about the same - the more I do the more it hurts and I continue the CPM at about 90/95.

Hope everyone is having a lovely weekend :thankyou:
 
Hi Alison,
I just posted an up-date on my son & the puppy.
I posted on my thread & not yours :doh:
I am a bit lazy today & don't want to post twice :)
Sorry,
Diana :flwrysmile:
 
Dear Alison,
I'm glad your p.t is on the ball calling your O.S. :) so, she gives you pain :gaah: but, sounds like she can
Get things done :happydance: You must have a "love" "hate" relationship with her :heehee:
Now, my dearest Alison there is no way I am spending to much energy on my " mighty, mighty, warriors.
They are a bit bored, I've been sending them to ladies in the hospital, but the ladies are to drugged out to know
What to do with them :rotfl: I will send 2 to you for chores before Friday, you know what they are capable of doing :blush:
Diana....leader of the "June Sunbeams" :SUNsmile:
Queen of the Mighty,Mighty, " Warriors :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: mmmmm......WARRIORS !!!!!!! :yes!:
 
Diana, if you could possibly send them tomorrow by Special Fast Delivery that would be very much appreciated :) I have a whole raft of jobs for them - ranging from cleaning the house from top to bottom and cooking to grooming my horses and poo picking the field. And thats before they get started on me :blush: I also need a full range of services before Friday :blush::blush:
Can I keep them after my surgery? I will need to be fed grapes for sure and may even have some extra special requirements (well if the hospital are to be believed!!).
Please send the most gentle ones - I will not be up for any rough play :umm::umm:
Thank You :thankyou:
 
:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
Alison,
I believe you want the Cabana Boys looking after you. My warriors don't know how to play gently :skep: They
May possibly tug on your leg :yikes:
I will send 1 warrior for all the hard work ( they are very strong) the Cabana boys are for you, to rub your neck &
Back, fan you with ostrich feathers, fluff your pillows, & fed you grapes & shrimp :yes!:
I will send them express mail, they will arrive tomorrow :martini:
Problem solved....now, Bunzostel is my mightiest warrior, muscles glistening in the sun, only a fig leaf on,
Perhaps you will want him to tug on your leg :loll:
Diana....WARRIORS......Mmmmmmmmmm !!!!!!!! :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:
 
Another visit at home from the Physio today :groan: I think they are upping their efforts with me now they know I am unhappy. They have told me not to write to my OS because "it will be ignored" but have given me his email address to send my questions and concerns to him - which I have done this afternoon. They also have spoken to his secretary and I need to be seen by the OS, so just waiting to hear back about an appointment.

Despite the increased pain and clunking, my bend has improved a bit so I am pleased. I am bending to 80 easily on my own and with some stretching and pushing am almost at 90 :yay: Scar tissue is still an issue as they are saying it is inhibiting my quad muscle - the scar on my femur is very lumpy and bumpy. They try and massage this for me but it is excruciating :hissy: as is the massage at the back of the knee. They are saying the clunking is "instability" because my muscles are so weak?

Diana - I am still awaiting delivery of the Cabana boys plus 1 lone Warrior. Hope they will arrive soon :martini:
 
Hi Alison,
Good for you getting an appointment with your O.S :) ( waiting to hear ) I noticed your R.O.M was getting
Better :yay: I was thinking the same about your instability, my knee clunks also...it does take quite awhile
For the muscles to get back in shape.
Go to your front door...the cabana boys & 1 lone warrior are there now :ok: just tell them what needs to be done :wink:
I'm off to the gym with my daughter :beg: I just dug out my ice machine for after :boohoo: it keeps coming out of the closet :scary:
I can't wait for the day I can talk about something other than knees :egypdance:
Have you seen your horsey babies today ? I hope so....
Diana....."June Sunbeams" :SUNsmile:
 
Hello Alison,
I wanted you to know I am thinking of you :) :angel: for you on Friday. Everything goes smooth & you are
In & out & back home quickly. I hope your knee has been behaving & you have got to ride " Rueben" :spin:
Have a relaxing, wonderful day,
Diana..."June Sunbeams" :SUNsmile:
 
Hi Diana,
Thank you for thinking of me - it is really appreciated. I haven't packed my bag yet - that is tomorrow's job - I am trying to pretend it is not happening! :)
I have had another little ride on Ruben today and managed well. I am just slowly increasing the amount of time I stay on him. There is no rush now as I will have some recovery time from my gynae op anyway. They tried to tell me no riding for 8-12 weeks - mmmmm I think not :yikes:
Update on my knee - I have received an appointment to see my actual OS on Thursday 10th October - next week! Obviously my Physio's call and maybe my email have done some good! I have had no reply to my email yet though. Great to get an appt so soon - just hope I am well enough to get there after my operation after all this.

Sounds like you have been doing really well - I have caught up with your thread. No need for ice after he gym :SUNsmile:

Everyone's recovery is so varied. I love reading about all the positive stories like yours and Gazelles, even if I am having a slow and problematic recovery myself :yay:

Have a great day

Alison
 
Hello Alison,
Thinking of you this evening, I know everything will go smoothly tomorrow :kittykiss: Please up-date
When you are able, but mostly just rest :sleep:
:angel: :angel: :console2: :friends:
Diana :friends:
 
Good luck with the surgery you will do great. I did not lift anything for weeks like they said. Hopefully you can go to the bathroom right away without any issues.

Robyn
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom