MUA Getting Back in the Saddle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi HorseyLady How are things today? just place the frying pan or rolling pin where they can see it and if they persist in their abuse just pick it up and look them in the eye. They'll get the message! :snork:
Wanda
 
I have been swimming again today and all went well :) I tried Puffin's suggestion of deep water running and I found it be a good workout for the knee - plus I didn't drown or go under the water. Still suffering from the hard block feeling when trying to swim but I did lots of bending exercises and I enjoyed myself :SUNsmile:

Diana - I have ridden a horse again :yikes: We did some practising getting on and off and I tried various ways using both my legs to try and find the easiest and least painful. Funnily enough, the usual way of mounting is best for my knee despite the pain when applying pressure at the bend. Using my other leg is less painful but then have to hike the bad leg over the saddle which with a weak quad is quite hard and hurts. Anyway, I've done it and I had a short walk in the arena too so small steps but progress. Not tried my own horse Ruben yet as he much wider and that will put more pressure on my knee.

Still not getting more than 90 on the cpm so limited progress there but I refuse to accept this is my limit. Have an appointment with my OS on 26th September so will see what he says.

PTs not been back yet but thanks for the tip Wanda, I will be ready for them :loll:
 
Good morning Alison,
Bravo, on the horse & going in the deep-end :yikes: you certainly are adventurous :) you sound so happy,
I agree you will get more rom...I just know it. Get that frying pan ready for next week :heehee: tell p.t
You want to work with them & you will not "push to pain"
Have a wonderful weekend,
Diana....June sunbeams :SUNsmile:
 
Hi Alison!
Glad that the deep water running worked for you and that you didn't drown yourself :yay: I have been doing some today myself
So happy that you have been able to ride your horse
 
What ROM did your surgeon get when you were under anesthesia and after he excised the scar tissue and did the MUA?

What is your stretching strategy? You might improve your chances of increasing flexion by dropping anything that isn't stretching.
 
Hi maryo52
My surgeon said he got 120 in theatre when I saw him after the operation. I did have the cpm set to 90 immediately and stayed on it at that until lunchtime next day.
At the moment I seem to be going downhill a bit with the cpm, I can get to 80 but everything after that is painful although it does seem to vary depending on how long I stay on it or how much Ive done. I am on it between 2 and 3 hours a day. Doing a heel stretch I get to about 80.
I do daily stretching 3 times a day - just heel stretches and hamstring stretches. I have ignored my PT and not added ankle weights yet, just feel it is too soon for that.
I thought that swimming would be good for my knee? Have been twice this week and I feel ok afterwards and the next day. I am trying to be a bit more active - have been walking (limping!) with no walking aids and also 15 minutes horse riding. My knee does not hurt when riding. I am still elevating when I sit down.
Do you think all this could be making my knee worse? I was hoping that by improving my general fitness this would help my knee.
 
I don't know what you mean by heal stretch. Twice a day I sat on an exercise ball and rolled forward. The idea was to stretch my quad and bend my knee. Why? Because that was my one problem, bending. All the rest is a non-issue. Any other activity has the potential to set the stage for the scar tissue to re-establish itself. Not only that, any other activity will no doubt contribute to swelling, even if minor.

I would think by now you would see your ROM creeping up. In light of the fact that it is not, does it not seem prudent to focus your efforts on quad stretches/knee bending (still gentle)? Maybe you already are. My personal experience from having had arthrofibrosis is that the knee must rest except for targeted but limited bending efforts, at least until the knee starts bending more.
 
Well done Horselady!! I would think both the swimming and the riding will help you both mentally and physically. I also wonder if a couple of steps of posting might not help you every bit as much as the CPM machine. It might hurt to much and you would need to have a super quiet pony to try this. Have you ever tried getting a massage? If it doesn't help the knee then at least it would make you feel better!
 
Good morning Alison,
Just checking in on all my " June sunbeams" :SUNsmile: you are doing great, you are so active. You make me
Look like a slug :sigh: that's great your knee doesn't hurt while riding :egypdance:, just please be careful
Getting on & off :yikes: could you possibly send some pictures of your boys ? It makes me so happy when I
See your " babies"
Did you start therapy yet ? Remember to lay the ground rules out, before they start. My way will lend you her
Frying pan if you need it :whistle: hopefully you won't :heehee:
Have a marvelous day, my :friends:
Thinking of you riding into the sunset :SUNsmile: job well done
Diana...." June sunbeams" :SUNsmile:
 
Hoping that life is treating you well, you're out with your beloved horses enjoying Yorkshire for me, and that things are improving. Looking back, I realize that what I thought was no improvement was actually unbelievably slow improvement, and over time that leads to total recovery.
 
Diana, I do not need telling twice to post pictures of my babies so here are a couple of my favourite pics.

This is my gorgeous Muffin who has now retired as he is 23 and has arthritis:
[Bonesmart.org] Getting Back in the Saddle


Me and Muffin, my horse of a lifetime:

[Bonesmart.org] Getting Back in the Saddle


This is Ruben, he is 4 years old and is taking over as my riding horse. Smaller than Muffin so is easier for me to get on and off:

[Bonesmart.org] Getting Back in the Saddle



Hope you enjoy the pictures, Diana

Alison
 
Hi maryo52
Yes I am enjoying my horses and Yorkshire :SUNsmile: and I have had a short walk on my friend's horse again today. I am mounting on the "wrong" side so I do not have to bend my bad leg and press on it to get on. It is a real stretch to even get the bad leg in the stirrup!
If I'm honest, I don't feel I am improving. I am getting more pain these days when I walk and my knee has started to clunk all the time. I am terrified that it has loosened - that is how it feels. However, I have read all the other posts about clunking and the article in the library so maybe it is "normal". I will be mentioning it to my OS next week.
In terms of ROM, no more progress. I can get to 90/95 on the cpm but 80-82 when bending on my own. My knee is still hot all the time. Here is a photo of it on the CPM (sorry so large I don't know how to make smaller!):
[Bonesmart.org] Getting Back in the Saddle
 
Hello Alison,
Thank you so much for the pictures of your " babies" they are simply gorgeous :) I love the middle picture the most.
You look so peaceful & happy :)
If it makes you feel any better....my knee clunks also...kind of like the arthritis clunk....it doesn't hurt & I don't
Let it bother me...I think it is normal :yes:
Enjoy your day,
P.s Sonya, has brought the cowboys over to the social room :wink: please be gentle with them :martini:
Diana.....queen of the " June sunbeams" :SUNsmile:
 
The photo of your knee . . . brings back memories. It was such a nightmare for me. And the time of year was rotten. You at least can get out with your beloveds. That's good. I hope things get better. Keep working on that swelling. You know, 95 is improvement. Hold onto that. It's a long time before you can do the same on your own. That's not important. What's important is what you CAN achieve under the best circumstances. That 95 will inch (or centimeter) up to 100 before you know it, and you'll start to regain your confidence. Are you taking any ibuprofen? I found it helped with the swelling and inflammation and I figured that helped with winning the scar tissue war.
 
Well the Rehab team Physio has been today. Oh how I wish I could have smashed her face in with Wanda's frying pan. Sorry if this makes me sound a horrible person, I am not, but she really hurt me and did not stop when asked.

Evidently it is "make or break" time for my knee, ie it needs to be aggressively pushed and the scar aggressively manipulated or I will stay like this FOREVER. If I am not in agony or crying when it is bent and massaged, then it is ineffective and useless. Yes, she honestly said this. This needs to happen everyday. She suggested getting my husband to do this each day and said she would show him how to do it. Fortunately he was at work and I said I did not want my husband to have to go through this and he would not want to inflict pain on me, nor would I let him.

The other depressing thing is that she listened to the "clunking" and said it was very noisy and not normal and I needed to tell my surgeon as it could be loosening. Great that is all I need.

I was at 75 when she measured me but after her "treatment" I was at 85. This tells her that I need to be treated aggressively because it works and "see how much better it is bending". I am embarrassed to say that I cried while she was doing this.

So, now I am in pain and have been icing and elevating since she left. I have had my painkillers (yes I do take Ibuprofen as well as Paracetamol and Tramadol) and am just waiting to become more comfortable.

:hissy::hissy::hissy::hissy::hissy::hissy:
 
Oy. This is really rotten. You are under so much pressure.

I guess the reason I decided against PT after my arthroscopy is that I knew I could not hold up to the pressure. I felt under scrutiny, and I felt judged, and I knew they thought I was not "working hard" enough. I just didn't want to be in that environment.

I wonder -- can they cite a single case like yours where their methods worked?

Don't buy that **** about your leg being like this forever. (However, their methods might create that outcome.)

A revision can be done as a last resort.
 
Hi Alison, Just popping in to say hi. How are things today? Your Muffin is beautiful!!!! Of course I think all horses are. Ever since I was a child I couldn't get enough of looking at their big brown eyes. there is something calming about horses and I can see how they give you such joy.
Thinking of you
Wanda
 
Oh, please don't let this happen to you and don't allow this physio to hurt you or be aggressive in any way with your treatment. What she is suggesting is going to inflame your tissues (make them more angry) and will actually retard your progress. Remember the BoneSmart mantra - No pain, MORE gain. You poor knee has been through so much and now it needs tender, loving care, not bullying into submission.

Yes, have that frying pan ready, and threaten to use it! I would have before now. Next time, if she hurts you, don't just cry - scream and yell and throw a proper tantrum like a 2-year old! She sounds like a right little ray of sunshine - not!. Could you manage without her?

:friends::flwrysmile::flwrysmile::flwrysmile:
Caryl
 
Dear Alison,
I am so sorry you are in pain :gaah: I don't know the procedure for scar tissue, but, this abuse can't be good for your
Knee. How dare she scare you by saying the " clunking" could be loosening. My knee can "clunk" to the tune of
"Old McDonald" every step I take :rotfl: I just had an x- ray so I know it's fine.
I know you want to do what is best, it will have to be up to you, listen to your inner voice.....it is hardly
Ever wrong
Diana :SUNsmile:
 
Thank you everyone :) I see my OS on Thursday so I am trying to hold off the negative thoughts until I know what's happening. I am definitely hurting more though and my inner voice tells me that all is not well with my knee. It is clunking loudly and other people can hear it - I only need to slightly move my leg around or shake my leg gently. This only started a few weeks ago and is definitely getting worse. Needless to say I have read up on loosening and I have all the symptoms and the risk factors but this has just scared me silly and others have clunking without being loose too so I am trying to not think about it! I am giving my knee some tlc as it is feeling very bruised after it's treatment on Thursday.
Unfortunately I have my gynae surgery on 4th October! Some of you may remember me asking Josephine as it was scheduled a few weeks after my TKR and she advised holding off for at least 3 months. Well I have but of course I am still not as recovered as I was hoping for. I have decided to get it done though as I can't stay off work forever so if I'm caring for my knee I can care for the other bits too :yikes: Just hope it is not going to be too painful. I am just in hospital one night so fingers crossed for me. The joys of having 2 large babies both forceps deliveries has come back to haunt me :yikes::yikes::yikes:
My way Wanda, Thank you for your lovely comments about Muffin. He is my soul horse. I love his eyes, so gentle and soft and full of wisdom. He is retired now but has always looked after me and is so loving and affectionate. Being around him brings me so much peace and happiness.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom